The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Dáin Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Who is the Greatest hero of all ages?

Who do all of you think is the greatest hero of Middle-earth? I think that i would go with Hurin maybe, because he was the last man of the house of Hador alive on the field, killing 70 trolls before he was taken.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
Nuinrog
Pile O'Bones

Nuinrog has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Turin, who slew Glaurung AND Melkor, one in the first and the other in the last age.
Nuinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can animals be hero’s.

If so I cast my vote for Huan the Hound of Valinor

-Born in Valinor
-Had the power to comprehend the speech of all things with voice, and was permitted to speak thrice.
-Given to Celegorm by Orome, himself.
-Could bore people on his back like a steed (example = Luthien escaping).
-He was swift and tireless
-Slew wolves by the dozen
-Slew Draugluin (Lord and sire of the werewolves)
-Defeated Thu(Wolf-Sauron, Sauron in werewolf form)
-Protected Beren and Luthien from the vengeance of Celegorm and Curufin(example = catching an arrow with his mouth, keeping them at bay)
-Slew Carcharoth – The Red Maw(Raised by Morgoth himself), even though he perished also which was his fate:He could only die, after he encountered the mightiest wolf that would ever walk the world.

All in all, he was a huge factor in the recovery of one Silmaril.

Quote:
But no wizardry nor spell, neither fang nor venom, nor devil’s art nor beast-strength, could overthrow Huan of Valinor.
Quote:
Sauron shifted shape, from wolf to serpent, and from monster to his own accustomed form, but he could not elude the grip of Huan.
Not to shabby for a hound, huh!? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2002, 03:05 AM   #4
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuinrog:
<STRONG>Turin, who slew Glaurung AND Melkor, one in the first and the other in the last age.</STRONG>
Turin didn't slay Melkor, he was cast into the Void by the Valar.

I would say Elrond, in the Second Age he fought against the forces of Sauron in Eregion, and in the Third aided and fostered the Northern line.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:40 AM   #5
Lochgelly Violet

Sting

I'd have to go for Frodo & Sam I'm afraid. Triumph over impossible odds.

Fingolfin gets my vote from the First Age, Beren and Turin following
Old 01-22-2002, 12:33 PM   #6
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Second Prophecy of Mandos in HoME V predicts that Turin will slay Melkor at the end of time.
However, this was only in an earlier version of the Silmarillion, and I think Tolkien changed his mind about it (and the whole idea of the prophecy) later on, since it does seem rather strange and out of place to have Melkor killed by Turin. Nonetheless, although it was rejected, it's an interesting piece of writing:

Quote:
Then shall the Last Battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Fionwë [i.e. Eonwë], and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, coming from the halls of Mandos; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Húrin and all Men be avenged.
-Voronwë
Old 01-22-2002, 12:49 PM   #7
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to go with Fingolfin, fighting Melkor takes guts.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 01:23 PM   #8
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Among my favorites are Finrod, for honoring his vow to Beren, vying with Sauron and giving his life to save Beren, and Fingon for rescuing Maedhros and his role in the crossing of the Helcaraxe.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:37 PM   #9
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh yes, what Fingolfin did - walking up to Angband (or was it Utumno? No matter...) and asking to see the man in charge for a little 'education' on behaviour towards your people does take quite a lot of 'balls' [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, my signature is sort of a tell-tale on this one. Aside from 'Beren and Luthien', I think what Fingolfin did is one of the finest parts from all of Tolkien's works.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:40 PM   #10
Carannillion
Wight

Sting

And, seeing my signature now, I think I can settle for Angband. (duh...) *hitting self in oneself's stupid head with keyboard*
Old 01-25-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Spellcheck Man is the greatest hero of all seven ages.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 08:03 PM   #12
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Amen, Sharkey.

-réd (aka iluvS_M)
Old 01-28-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Beren Huan Frodo
(hmm it said hero not heroes)
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:51 AM   #14
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Odd that nobody mentions Finarfin - Standing up to madness and violence although it means leaving your children - Doing the right thing - Thats what makes my heros!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] As for those who vote Fingolfin his act in fighting Morgoth was an act of folly and dispair - not very heroic to go and kill yourself. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Telchar ]
Old 01-28-2002, 06:04 AM   #15
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Finarfin was very wise...and I forgot another hero: Finrod Felagund
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:59 AM   #16
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elendil maybe: the only one of the Numenorean Lords to avoid the madness of Ar Pharazon, and escape in order to continue the line.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:41 AM   #17
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very true Eowyn
Old 01-28-2002, 08:14 AM   #18
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf!
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:54 PM   #19
Carannillion
Wight

Sting

Look at my signature: Does it seem like Fingolfin didn't stand a chance? Do you think Morgoth would let himself be wounded by one he hated right in front of his army? A (desperate?) last resort maybe, but not suicide.

And besides, isn't heroism actually foolish luck? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And actually, I think I've changed my mind. I think there are lots of 'greatest heroes', all in a somewhat different way.

Beren - and Luthien, of course - Frodo, Merry & Éowyn, Sam, Faramir, Gandalf, Hurin, Turin etc.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:25 AM   #20
Lochgelly Violet

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Telchar:
<STRONG>Odd that nobody mentions Finarfin - Standing up to madness and violence although it means leaving your children - Doing the right thing - Thats what makes my heros!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] As for those who vote Fingolfin his act in fighting Morgoth was an act of folly and dispair - not very heroic to go and kill yourself. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: Telchar ]</STRONG>
Aye, that is right but Fingolfin did a great deal before that that could be considered wise and 'the right thing'. He forgave Feanor in Aman, crossed the Heleraxe after Feanor deserted him and united the Nodor in exile.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:41 PM   #21
Mankáno
Animated Skeleton

Mankáno has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Mankáno
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuinrog:
<STRONG>Turin, who slew Glaurung AND Melkor, one in the first and the other in the last age.</STRONG>
When did Turin slain Melkor? they've never met. Melkor never used to leave Angmar (except when he fought against Fingolfin) and Turin never was there. The only one who hurt Melkor was Fingolfin.

He is my choice, he conducted his people to Middle Earth, and he was the head of the most important and brave resistance to Melkor during the wars. He faced Melkor in a fight and was able to hurt him, although couldn't resist enough.
Mankáno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 07:42 AM   #22
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

See my post about for info on the Turin thing.

My own favourite hero would probably be Finrod Felagund, or maybe Hurin.

-Voronwë
Old 01-31-2002, 04:36 PM   #23
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well Frodo ans Sam overcoming impossible odds are the best but thats what everyone is gonna say. So i'd hafta go with FINROD FELAGUND!!!!!! think about it: he is one of the mightiest kings of the greatest race to ever walk the earth. He is the nephew (i think) of Feanor and has really cool underground kingdom by a river. So he's this high and mighty Elf and what does he do? He gives his life for a lowly pitiful, Man who is gonna die in like 50 years any ways. Now i know that if i were in his situation that i would be like.. Heh, i'm the king and i'm gonna live foreber. Ur the outlaw man and ur gonna die relativly soon anyways. u kill the wolf. But no Finrod Felagund is a better man (or i should say Elf) than I. He's just the coolest and because of his sacrifice, a Silmaril was taken from Morgoth and because of that Silmaril, Earindel was able to find Aman and get the Valar in on the War and it all turned out very happry and good, probably better that if Beren had died and Finrod lived. And still i think that elves onluy have to wait in the halls of Mandos for a short time before they can live in Valinor again. Finrod Felagund is the Hero of all ages..............except Sam and Frodo. heheh
Old 01-31-2002, 08:17 PM   #24
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Ok, I think that I was shooting more towards a military Hero, really, they all were, but Hurin and the house of Hador stood to the last to protect the retreat of the Gondolindrim. He was the last fighting and was never broken by melkor.

On an overall hero, i would say maybe one of the Elves, such as Fingolfin, Finrod, Fingon, or maybe even Maedhros, had he not turned bad. I also think Ecthelion and Glorfindel.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:14 PM   #25
helga litla

Silmaril

ertu Dáin?
ertu virkilega buinn ad gefast upp?
Old 02-07-2002, 04:28 PM   #26
Carannillion
Wight

Sting

*tries to translate Icelandic, head ready to burst*

Does that mean "Are you Dáin? Are you really *something* and *something*?"

*sound of head bursting into lots and lots of goo*
Old 02-11-2002, 03:10 PM   #27
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elrond! And Glorfindel because he was 2IC to Elrond in the war.
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:16 AM   #28
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ecthelion, anybody. He single handedly slayed Gothmog lord of Balrogs, after he had already battled orcs, and other things.

For men, I'd say Aragorn. Turin, Tuor, Beren, etc... were all great, but Aragorn was Aragorn, kind of the most human, and least elven qualities.

For Dwarves I say Dain-he withstood the fear of the shadow of the Balrog, killed Azog, etc.

For hobbits, of course the Bullroarer Took.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 07:21 AM   #29
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to go with my hobbit friends.
Frodo
Sam
Gollum
They together destroyed the one ring AND discovered some important things about trust, friendship, and pity.
These three deserve a round of applause!
*clap clap clap clap*
Hobbits Rule!!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:32 PM   #30
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I think Gil-galad.. I'm not sure that he is the bravest of all times, but at least I consider him a hero.. But that might just be me..
Old 02-23-2002, 04:40 PM   #31
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finrod Felagund definatley for Elves, he did ride to the gates of Angband, challenge Morgoth, and wound him in the foot(he is a Vala)
Isildur (stole the White tree and cut of Saurons finger),Elendil(he alone withstood the madness of Ar-Pharazon) and Beren for stealing a silmaril.
Dain for Dwarves
Frodo and Sam(Bullroarer took did some great things but to take the one ring into Mordor, destroy it and then come out alive takes guts, strength, everything basically.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 10:19 PM   #32
Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Vilya Elathelas of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

For the first age...I don't know a thing about the first age.

Second age: I agree with Elrian and Daegwinn (sorry if it's spelled wrong!). Elrond is the BEST!! (and he fought without a helmet...wait, that was the movie...). Sorry, but something just hits me about him as being...well, kinda like a hero. Him and Gil-galad! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Third age: The SONS of Elrond are my heroes here. Them and Faramir.

I suppose Luthien is from the first age? if she is, she's my hero there. and Earendil (of which I learned the CORRECT pronunciation today) from whichever age he was in. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 01:51 PM   #33
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My vote for the first age goes to Luthien for getting rid of Thu, the second age I don't really know, and the third I have to say would definently be Eowyn! She is so cool! I mean seriously, the girl masqueraded as a man, got into battle, Killed the Nazgul king that no one else could, and survived the black breath! Really what more does a girl have to go through to be considered a hero!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:02 PM   #34
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It has to be Sam. No question - even when compared to the great ones of all the ages. Sam every time.

Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 02:12 PM   #35
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please explain.

Why does it "have" to be Sam everytime?
Old 02-24-2002, 02:42 PM   #36
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
My vote for the first age goes to Luthien for getting rid of Thu, the second age I don't really know, and the third I have to say would definently be Eowyn! She is so cool! I mean seriously, the girl masqueraded as a man, got into battle, Killed the Nazgul king that no one else could, and survived the black breath! Really what more does a girl have to go through to be considered a hero!
Thank you SilverBranch! I was wondering when someon would say that a woman was the greatest hero! Eowyn is the greatest.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #37
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Jesus of Nazareth! Oh, you meant in Middle-eath. Heh, sorry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mmmmm.... Good one. Well, I haven't read everything there is to read about Middle-earth yet, so I really am not too sure on this one. For now, I'd say that it was Frodo for being so willing to give up everything not only for his people but for all of Middle-earth.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:41 PM   #38
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Your welcome Joy! But seriously, once you think about it, for a mortal maid to kill a big enough dude as the Nazgul is pretty heroic. I'm glad Tolkien gave a woman a big part in The Lord of the Rings because all the rest of the women in the books, (Not including Silmar. or the others, just the Lord of the rings), basically just sort of sat around and waited for their men to come back. It's cool that Eowyn went out and did something about the rising darkness.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:09 PM   #39
Dáin Ironfoot
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Thardolein of Gondolin.........Firod did nto wound Melkor...that was Fingolfin. I still think that you all are fogetting the House of Hador and thier stand at the Battle of unnumbered tears. All except Hurin were slain.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:51 AM   #40
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Gwindor for the elves. He ventured into Morgoth's stronghold, and than managed to escape from slavery, and he was abandoned yet met his fate bravely.

Sam and Fredegar Bolger among hobbits

Gandalf for the maiar

and among man Amandil, and Isildur for saving white tree, though he failed to destroy the ring, and Elendur Isildur's son and Aragorn Isildur's heir.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote