The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2004, 04:28 AM   #1
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Why were the Silmarils so important?

I don't understand why the Elves would wage terrible wars and risk thousands of lives just so they could look at shiny jewels. Didn't these jewels do anything? Didn't they have any magical powers (other than allowing Earendil to get to the Undying Lands)? If not, then they just wanted them to look at?
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Pride and vengeance. Some of them were also tired of the Valar bossing them about.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The jewels wasn't the only reason (and not the most important, IMO). Among other we have the murder of their king, Finwë, the unrest among them (caused by Melkor's lies) and the wish to see Middle-earth again.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Rider of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Rider of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rider of Rohan
Sting

They were also the last reminders of the 2 trees. Melkor's crime was complete with the stealing of the Silmarils. I also heard from a friend that they did have a power of a sort, but it was only the desire to possess them. Is this true?
Rider of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, lusting for a Silmaril was a dangerous thing (Thingol). The Silmarils, like Rider said, contained the last of the two trees, that had created bliss in Valinor. Plus, just the belief that they belonged to the Elves, specifically the Sons of Feanor.

I don't really think the Silmarils had a particular power, but they shone of their own light and only through them could the Two Trees be rekindled.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Yes, I'd say the pride of the sons of Feanor played a large part. They were a token of his works, and his sons were jealous to keep it in the family. Just another way Melkor marred the original harmony of the original Creation.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
I agree

I agree with those that say that the pride of the sons of Feanor and Feanor himslef are the main cause for the war. But when you think about it, these jewels are beyond price. The obviousley can't be made agin or else Feanor would have just made more. These things represent everything that Feanor worked for and his pride so when they were stolen from him he went nuts, and his sons followed him.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
The story of the elves' dealing with the Silmarils show us that elves had some of the same basic flaws as men. Elves tended to disdain men for their lust for power (which some men certainly had, but not all). Yet, the story of the Silmarils show us that elves also had a problem with lust (again, some elves, not all).
It is interesting to note that the Valar suffered the same loss as the elves, yet didn't react in such a manner as to bring sorrow and grief to the world.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
As to the silmarils having any power, it is said that the elf colony at Tol Sirion where Earendil left from was made green by the power of the Silmaril of Elwing that brought healing. Although this was attributed to the Elessar in another version of the story, the silmaril did have healing powers.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
dkhyrosha
Pile O'Bones

dkhyrosha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dkhyrosha Send a message via MSN to dkhyrosha Send a message via Yahoo to dkhyrosha
I think it was a combination of the killing of Finwe, the pride of Feanor, and the fact that the light of the jewels was all that was left of the Trees

Dani
dkhyrosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #11
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Maybe not so much the loss of the light of the Trees...

Weren't the Trees detroyed and then the Valar made an appeal to Feanor to give of his Silmarilli to return life to the trees? Feanor turned them down and returned home, only to find that his precious jewels had been lost. Then Feanor went a rampage of vengeance and retrieval. Feanor cared only for his creation, and he was the main instigator of vengeful thoughts among the Elves of Tol Sirion.

That's just my thoughts,
Old 05-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Pipe Dagor Dagorath

it is true that the Elves cherished the jewels for the fact that they hold the last light of the two trees, but Fate also must have played a huge role in it...The way I see it, everything that happens 'in any world' is for a reason. I do believe that Arda once existed, and that Iluvatar must have had a plan for the Silmarils. It's not just the physical power that they beheld that is amazing, but also the spiritual aspect of it. Let us go to the second prophecy of Mandos...

Quote:
Thereafter shall the Silmarils be recovered out of sea and earth and air; for Earendil shall descend and yield up that flame that he hath had in keeping. Then Feanor shall bear the Three and yield their fire to rekindle the Two Trees, and a great light shall come forth; and the Mountains of Valinor shall be levelled, so that the light goes out over all the world. In that light the Gods will again grow young, and the Elves awake and all their dead arise, and the purpose of Iluvatar be fulfilled concerning them. But of Men in that day the prophecy speaks not, save of Turin only, and him it names among the Gods." (The Shaping of Middle Earth - HOME 5)
So from this I conceive the fact that The Silmarils were important because of fate and roles that they have yet to play...