The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2003, 09:52 PM   #81
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Music Review. More on the Andi Grimsditch theme: Third listening.

"Earendil was a Mariner" (Bilbo's Hall of Fire song.) Hobbit Andi Grimsditch is the first musician that I know of to attempt it (it's ten minutes long!) and he does it very well. I find "Earendil" more than pleasant, I find it enchanting. Perhaps it's more orchestrated than one would imagine, but I think Bilbo would like it.

Minor complaints: Of the nine songs on this album I enjoy "Frodo at the Pracing Pony" the least; half the song is spoken and half sung, and that always annoys me somewhat. Another thing that annoys me is that one or two of the songs have complicated chord changes and accidentals-- which always strikes me as un-hobbitlike.

Those seem to me to be very minor complaints. I like this fellow's work. He strikes me as "the hobbit next door", unpretentious, merry and easygoing without being sappy.

So: at least Four **** out of five. Maybe four and a half.

Has anybody out there purchased the "Hobbitons" album, and what did you think of it?

[ 9:30 AM December 03, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-05-2004, 08:34 PM   #82
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quickie music review, Giuseppe Festa. (aka Lingalad-- hey, I know him; www.lingalad.com )

The music of Giuseppe Festa is magnificent. There's a twenty-minute instrumental at the end of the album that stops me in my tracks repeatedly. His Tolkien tunes are by and large singable. And he has a very elvish restlessness and longing in his work.

***** out of five.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:40 PM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-09-2004, 10:20 AM   #83
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
Has anybody out there purchased the "Hobbitons" album, and what did you think of it?
What is an "album"? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #84
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mithadan, O most respected and eloquent of Mods, surely you need but the most delicate of reminders that "album" means "collection" and thus can apply to any collection of items, such as stamps, or photographs, or a group of songs: *even* if they are (or were) distributed on such an archaic medium as, for instance, vinyl.

But only *really* old people remember vinyl records.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:49 AM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #85
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And a few remember glass! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #86
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hilde, when you say "glass" are you referring to the old 78rpm records? Now that's going WAY back! btw-Happy New Year All
Old 01-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #87
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I suppose they probably were 78s. I remember my parents having a couple of them around the house that we would play for kicks. The music was good but the medium was pretty horrendous, not that my vinyl "potato chips" held up any better! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: Actually maybe they were shellac?!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 10-01-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:22 PM   #88
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hilde, I stand amazed.

...did you see Feanor making the palantirs too?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #89
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I'm afraid I'm not that old. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But perhaps from a from a little known family of half hobbit/half elves, (or is it 7/8 hobbit?), who chose the bliss of the Shire to the Undying Lands?! No relation to dear Pio though, that I've heard tell of anyway. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I wonder if old Mr. Baggins had a phonograph tucked away in that hobbit hole of his! Perhaps music was the real treasure squirreled away there, (a gift from a certain member of the Istari perhaps, who no doubt knew had excellent advice on which themes were good and which were bad). And Mr. Bilbo actually went to Rivendell to record the songs of elves for Elrond's vast library before the songs were lost to Middle Earth.... Hmm...I wonder if they are still out there somewhere?

Whew, I had better stop before this tangent gets any worse! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #90
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
The wealth of Moria was not in CD-ROMs and DVDs, the toys of the Dwarves; nor in CDs, their servants. Such things they found here, it is true, especially CDs; but they did not need to delve for them: all things that they desired they could obtain in HMV. For here alone in the world were found Moria-albums, or true albums as some have called them: vinyl is the Elvish name. The Dwarves have a name which they do not tell. Rare labels were worth ten times that of CDs, and now they are beyond price; for little is left in record collections, and even the Orcs dare not shop for them here.
Gandalf to the Fellowship outside the Moria Discount Records Store

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:18 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #91
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Ah ha! So the theory could be true! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] That was wonderful by the way Saucepan Man, where ever did you find it? And where is the Moria Discount Records Store? Do I simply turn right when I reach the Misty Mountains? Can't miss it sort of a place with big fancy doors by moonlight...holly trees.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Helen I finally got a chance to listen to Giuseppe Festa. You are right. It is fantastic stuff!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:11 AM January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 01-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #92
Roxbury

Sting

Well hello all, do you have room for another old timer? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The first time I read Tolkien was about twenty years ago- I can't remember much about that time except I was captivated by the Hobbit and started LotR and never quite finished it. I remember my boyfriend at the time (now my spouse) bought me the leather bound green Hobbit book and the red leather LotR as well as The Tolkien Companion by JEA Tyler. I am back in Middle Earth now thanks to the movies and these discussion forums. These books were meant to be discussed!! My poor spouse is feeling a bit neglected because my elementary school aged boy and I talk endlessly about the story and characters. Reading Tolkien gives me the opportunity to think about matters such as--evil vs. good, immortality/death, courage, etc.... Yeah, I loved philosophy in college [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Having finished the LotR, I am now working my way through The Sil--I'm taking notes--man that book is packed with information. Looking forward to posting with you all. Oh, BTW I found the BBC recording of The Hobbit at half price books the other day- can't wait to listen to it!! Roxbury
Old 01-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #93
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hello and welcome, Roxbury! Glad you found the Clubhouse. Did someone refer you or did you stumble into it? Welcome either way!

Your boyfriend bought you the leather editions of BOTH the Hobbit and LotR? Wow! That's devotion!

I'll be passing thru Seattle in several weeks. It's become a favorite haunt of mine!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:55 PM January 28, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #94
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

<crawling out of the Great Sea to the long-missed shores of the Barrow Downs> Hello! I don't know if anyone here remembers me; I haven't been to the Downs since last fall. However, I'm very glad to see that the Coming of Age Club is still going strong. Hopefully Real Life has calmed down enough that I can visit regularly again. <sits down to wring sea-water out of clothes>
Old 01-29-2004, 01:43 AM   #95
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh! Oh! Oh! I do so adore being dead. The company is simply unsurpassable!

I have been exploring other chambers of the Downs lately and for some reason this one only now caught my eye. I've scanned a couple of pages in the old & new threads, and eagerly look forward to a few hours of wonderful reflection in the near future. For now, I want to add my bit as the time is fleeting and my shroud is looking most comfortable.

This very subject has been much on my mind of late. LotR (book and movies) and The Silmarillion have been a refuge and source of renewal for me. Life has recently given me cause to time travel . . .

LIke the previous posting person, I first was made aware of Tolkien by my first real boyfriend when I was 14. He was, an older "man" of 19 and I felt truly enthralled by everything he said and did. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Actually, he did bequeath me a great deal of cultural interests that have stood the test of time--Frank Zappa for one. Anyway, he loaned me The Hobbit. I fell in love with the whole thing, and became especially fond of the dwarves. I bought a terrific (I thought) dwarf statuette, named it Balin, and made it my personal icon/totem. After I finished The Hobbit he gave me FotR. (These are all the 1st edition of the Ballentine paperbacks w/Tolkien's endorsement of them on the back cover--ah, the romance of authenticity!). I devoured it and the subsequent books as well. I also spent hours looking for cloth material that matched the Elven cloaks given by Galadriel's folk to the Fellowship and made a swimsuit "cloak." [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Alas, I had to return the Ballentines. We continued off and on into my freshman year in college. As I write, I am wearing the silver ring engraved with Cirth script he made and gave to me. The only word I can make out is "love." The others are a mystery.

Needless to say, the relationship traveled south to Harad (we stayed fond friends until I lost track of him about eight years ago), but the stories stayed with me.

Around 1969, I bought a poster with a map illustrated by Tolkien and put it up on my wall. A couple of years later it was time to go to college. While I was away, my mother rather ruined the poster by pasting a blue velveteen ribbon around the borders, although she meant well. During one summer while home from university, my parents decided to repaint my room. With great care and regret, I took down the poster, ripping it slightly. Thinking, "Oh, this old thing--it's already half ruined," I tossed it out. I am repenting at leisure.

Between high school and through college, I'd re-read The Hobbit and LotR a couple of times. They began to fade from mind, but one day, I happened to see the very first edition of The Silmarillion in the university bookstore. I felt deeply drawn to ME again and bought it on sight. Ever since I read the account of the creation of the world, I have envisioned its source as the notes sung by the Ainur and orchestrated by Eru. After "Ainulindale," it took me the usual 2-3 attempts to get past the next 60 pages. I now love all of it.

Fast forward a few years and re-readings. I am legally attached to a man who, despite giving me indisputable reason to legally unattach, was a superb gift giver. This was when the leatherette volumes of The Hobbit and LotR appeared--green and red respectively, and tantalizingly embossed with words in runes & of Elvish in shiny gold, red, and green. It is the most treasured among my 4 editions of LotR.

Last year I bought a set of the old Ballentine editions. I just wanted to have them in my hands again. (You can go back again.)

So, from the undertow of adolescence continuing into the crest of expected and unexpected middle age changes, the stories have been with me. They have been a guide through what could have become my own Paths of the Dead. I seem to have gravitated to them during times of darkness and fear, or simply those dread and dangerous doldrums of "dark nights of the soul." They have rewarded me with light and hope and an ever-expanding awareness of the life of the spirit in a world of the all too-fleeting flesh.

Good night, all you wonderful people out there . . . in the dark!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:30 AM   #96
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome, Roxbury and diniziliel, and welcome back Alphaelin! It's always nice to have more of us sharing experiences and getting to know each other! Isn't it interesting to compare who introduced you to Tolkien? In my case, it was a boyfriend too - long gone now, or rather I'm the one who is far away, but the Ballantine's paperbacks he gave me are still going strong, sitting right here next to my computer and full of markings. I wonder how those past boyfriends would react if they knew they still had an impact on our lives?! Well, it's Tolkien's impact, but you never forget the first time, do you?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #97
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

A hardy hello Roxbury, Dininziliel and Alphaelin!

Alphaelin , how could we forget the finder Clive’s secret diary! You had me on the edge of my seat (pardon the pun) waiting for the next installment! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #98
Alphaelin
Wight

Sting

Thank you Estelyn and Hilde for the welcome(s) back! Welcome, Roxbury and Diniziliel.

Regarding Clive, EToF, I am *trying* to get a Live Journal account up and then figure out how to post so I can put the poor twit to rest [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. So far, LJ is not being my friend - or I am really as computer-impaired as my resident Leggy-bopper tells me I am! However, I shall keep trying.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:37 AM   #99
Alphaelin
Wight

1420!

Quote:
Ah ha! So the theory could be true! That was wonderful by the way Saucepan Man, where ever did you find it? And where is the Moria Discount Records Store? Do I simply turn right when I reach the Misty Mountains? Can't miss it sort of a place with big fancy doors by moonlight...holly trees....
Ah, but remember Hilde, "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the earth." To make your way to the Moria Discount Record Store, you must first pass through the hidden door with reflects only strobe lights and disco balls. Even if you find your way into the deserted Mall of Khazad-Dum, you must pass through the dreaded Mimes of Moria for four days before you come to the East-gate where the ancient record store of Durin is located.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:11 AM   #100
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Estelyn Telcontar wrote:
Quote:
I wonder how those past boyfriends would react if they knew they still had an impact on our lives?! Well, it's Tolkien's impact, but you never forget the first time, do you?!
I'll bet they told that to all the girls! They probably had several sets of the books with which they lured us unsuspecting and innocent little bees to our doom! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] But you know, that's the kinda guy I like--one who's smart enough to let Tolkien do that voodoo that he do so well! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Saucepan Man--I genuinely enjoyed the music store post. Thank you for the LOL.

And, thank you ladies--Estelyn, Hilde, and Alphaelin (sp?) for the welcome. I, too, want to know about Clive. A "Howdy-do?" to Roxbury, too!

It's so sublime to rhyme.
Okay, I'll go away.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:17 AM January 30, 2004: Message edited by: dininziliel ]
Old 01-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #101
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

You are very welcome dininziliel & Alphaelin

Quote:
"There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the earth." To make your way to the Moria Discount Record Store, you must first pass through the hidden door with reflects only strobe lights and disco balls.
E-gads, suddenly I’m seeing the ghastly vision of a Balrog in a white polyester suit, -melted of course- dancing amidst the flames! But one has to brave these dangers if one seeks mithril in Middle Earth. Such decisions!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #102
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Welcome Back Alphaelin and welcome dininziliel and Roxbury. Check out our pictures Here thanks to Alkanoonion.

Roxbury, we are neighbors. I live in Port Orchard.

Saucepan Man, Alphaelin, I enjoyed your music store stories. Parodies are one of my favorite forms of humor.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #103
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

Forgive a young upstart for intruding in the land of the geezers, but it's so much fun to read.
Quote:
The wealth of Moria was not in CD-ROMs and DVDs, the toys of the Dwarves; nor in CDs,
their servants. Such things they found here, it is true, especially CDs; but they did
not need to delve for them: all things that they desired they could obtain in HMV.
For here alone in the world were found Moria-albums, or true albums as some have
called them: vinyl is the Elvish name. The Dwarves have a name which they do not tell.
Rare labels were worth ten times that of CDs, and now they are beyond price; for little
is left in record collections, and even the Orcs dare not shop for them here.

- Saucepan Man

Ah, but remember Hilde, "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the earth." To make your way to the Moria Discount Record Store, you must first pass through the hidden door with reflects only strobe lights and disco balls. Even if you find your way into the deserted Mall of Khazad-Dum, you must pass through the dreaded Mimes of Moria for four days before you come to the East-gate where the ancient record store of Durin is located.

- Alphaelin

E-gads, suddenly I’m seeing the ghastly vision of a Balrog in a white polyester suit, -melted of course- dancing amidst the flames! But one has to brave these dangers if one seeks mithril in Middle Earth. Such decisions!

- Hilde Bracegirdle
Thanks for much for that. That was the best laugh I have had in a while. I never knew the oldies were so creative. I am in awe.
Btw, Alphaelin Mimes of Moria? That's a disconcerting thought. Undead Dwarves walking around in black and white striped shirts and black pants pulling on invisible ropes. Scary.

*bows out gracefully before any walking sticks are thrown her way*
Old 02-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #104
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
I've been called a "geezer" !

Take that you young whipper snapper! Let me hit you with my cane... Umm ... that is ... my walking stick!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:59 AM   #105
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

You know what they say, the sense of humor is the last to go!

And Raefindel, better a geezer than a curmudgeon, eh what?

-Hilde (resident old codger )
Old 02-19-2004, 08:45 AM   #106
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Geezers? Oldies? Codgers? Curmudgeons?

Good heavens, I've been away too long. Let's have a little self-respect around here! Old age and wile will always win out over youth and enthusiasm!
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #107
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pio leans on her four-wheeled walker and claps heartily at Ealasaide's words . . . the effort nearly winds her & she seeks the comforts of the old rocker in her room.

shuffle . . .shuffle . . .

Down the sickly green hall of the Barrow-Downs Home for Geezers, Curmudgeons, and old Reprobates she goes, her lovebeads clacking on her chest as she waves to Hilde and Rae . . .

Old 02-19-2004, 12:05 PM   #108
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Reprobates? I guess that'd be me. Welcome to all you newcomers (and those who have returned for another visit).
Old 02-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #109
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

A wizened old man, covered from head to foot in pots and pans, snoozes happily in a large leather-bound armchair in the corner. However, the strident words of the young interloper, awake him from his slumber and, with a metallic clatter, he sits up suddenly and holds a trumpet to his ear (or, rather, to the side of the saucepan covering his ear).

"Eh? Wha-!" he mutters through well-worn dentures.

But, seeing the enthusastic youngster, he smiles benevolently, recalling the exuberance of his own youth.

"Welcome to the Undying Lands Retirement Home for the morbidly-Tolkien obsessed," he chuckles.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #110
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
advanced age....

If you folk are in the Valinor rest home, that makes me about ready to keel over in my grave.

You've really done it this time. There is a topic I have been thinking about for a while on which I now feel compelled to start a thread. It's time someone stood up and gave a big huzzah for those of us who've reached the grand age of fifty. Tolkien certainly thought it was special!

Please take a look here:

What's so special about '50'?

So if you can tear yourself away from cleaning your dentures and tending to your rocker, please give me the benefit of your 'mature' minds in Books!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-19-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:58 AM   #111
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Good point, Child.

I visited your thread and found it very thought provoking, but I did want to say one thing here. I think the reason most of Tolkein's central characters are fifty or above in LotR is that one of his central themes is that of change, the old ways disappearing into the folds of time. Youth is generally not concerned with that sort of thing as a rule. You need older characters with some life experience to draw on in order to carry that theme off successfully and with the right degree of melancholia.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #112
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
Welcome to the Undying Lands Retirement Home for the morbidly-Tolkien obsessed
Oh ho! How did I miss that one! Here I was thinking along the lines of the Barrow-Wight's Home for Terminally Dead. But your's is a much more pleasant name!

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-21-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #113
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sorry!

Hi, gang!
I just wanted to apologize for my earlier post - now deleted. (If you missed it, don't ask! ) It was really kind of cheesy and inappropriate for this forum. I was just in a rare frame of mind and got a little carried away. As I have said before...
henceforth, I will do my best to behave!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #114
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

MUSIC REVIEW: Music Inspired by Middle Earth -featuring David Arkenstone

Well I finally broke down and bought a copy of this instrumental CD, and while it wasn’t what I expected, it has been growing on me considerably. On the first listen it seemed very much like a movie score with a few jarring cliques, some very New Age and Elizabethan sounding stuff and very pretentious…but….

As I said it is growing on me. I have to say that The Riders of Rohan is absolutely wonderful, capturing the mood and spirit of the Rohirm at the end of the Third Age, a lot of layers to it as well. And The Palantir track is downright chilling. The only track I find myself having trouble with is The Field of Cormallen and sometimes Galadriel’s Mirror, which is were I keep hearing things reminiscent of The Exorcist and The Titanic. (Witness is also in there on another track.)

Has anyone else heard this CD?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #115
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

*Groan*

Perhaps he could diversify into Country Music and become the Arkenstone Cowboy.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #116
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ouch! Groan is right!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #117
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Darkness Rises

I don't know, Sauce. When I look at your sig, I'm tempted to wonder how anyone who could quote The Darkness would really qualify for the "the Undying Lands Retirement Home for the morbidly-Tolkien obsessed. "

About LOTR music: In an article which I quoted in Movies (what? flog my own thread? moi?) Howard Shore is quoted about what he and PJ were looking for in a score. Both wanted something reminiscent of Wagner and of those epic movie scores of the 40s.

Given that so many fans enjoy more hobbitish music--celtic?--I found this interesting.

Maybe few of us go far enough back to remember any of those 40s movie scores?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #118
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
Given that so many fans enjoy more hobbitish music--celtic?--I found this interesting.
"Hobbit music is Celtic?" Hilde questions taking her earphones out of her ears, intreupting her morning long Silly Wizard marathon. "I wonder how we got pegged with Celtic taste and not say music from the Andes?"
Old 03-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #119
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Thanks for waking me up: now where is my Geritol?

Hi, Bęthberry,
Quote:
Howard Shore is quoted about what he and PJ were looking for in a score. Both wanted something reminiscent of Wagner and of those epic movie scores of the 40s.

Maybe few of us go far enough back to remember any of those 40s movie scores?
These movies used to play on the TV in the early afternoon old movie slots when I came home from school...heh, heh!

P.S. We really do need something every now and again to revive this thread with a little interest. Maybe all it takes is a whipper-snapper intrusion!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #120
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Quote:
P.S. We really do need something every now and again to revive this thread with a little interest. Maybe all it takes is a whipper-snapper intrusion!
Hear, hear, Mr. Bugtussle!

As much as I love music, I have to admit all this arcane discussion of music I've never heard sends me straight off into slumberland. I wake up three hours later with the computer screen black and my face in a puddle of drool. (Sorry, Hilde et al!) I suppose I could try to track some of the music down and give it a listen... I might actually like it. Ya think there's any Tolkein-based grunge out there?