The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
Elrond - broke or a stingy old dude

In Lorien Galadrial figures out that the succes of the Fellowship's mission is of high importance to her own wellbeing + all the elves. She logically wants to do everything she can to help, and asks her followers to dig through the coffers and find some stuff to help them. She gives them:

3 Elven boats
Lembas bread a-plenty
The Vial of Galadriel
Elven camoflage capes, making you semi-invisible
Some very handy rope, being able to untie itself

And they would surely have died several times without this stuff!

Now lets scroll back to when they visit Elrond in Rivendell.

Elrond figures out that the succes of the Fellowship's mission is of high importance to his own wellbeing + all the elves. He logically wants to do everything he can to help, and asks his followers to dig through the coffers and find some stuff to help them. He gives them

JACK ****.

We can deduce that either:

1: Rivendell just has nothing stored, no capes, lembas, no rope, no nothing. He has nothing to give them, and Rivendell elves are in fact quite poor, living from hand to mouth. They dont even know how to bake Lembas. They seem to get their food supplies from nearby humans.

2: Rivendell is indeed rich, but Elrond is STINGY and doesn't want to waste a dime on them. Gandalf asks him "Could you spare some Lembas, might be handy" and he goes "WOO WOO lets not get carried away shall we. I know its important and all, but I've got a budget to think about as well!"

This thought made me smile the other day. I guess Tolkien just didnt get the idea of Elven gear before he came to writing of Lorien, and he didnt bother to rewrite all the stuff before to incorporate some Elvish gear from Rivendell.
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote