The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #41
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Well, yes!!!

Cool indeed, in both senses of the word...
So many punny people on this forum.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #42
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ooh, brutal trip! Out past Barrow in the winter - might as well have been the inspiration for Helcaraxe. Do you know how high the suicide rate is for people who live there? Can't wait to go!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #43
Bes
Animated Skeleton

Bes has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bes Send a message via Yahoo to Bes Send a message via Skype™ to Bes
Hey folks. I'm new here, just posted in the new member area actually. I heard about this game from Roa, and I wanted to give it a try. The way she describes it, it sounds much more cerebral than pretty much any other game I've ever played in, and that appeals to me.

If you're still accepting new players, I'd like the character role of a stock room/store manager: The guy who keeps track of what the expedition site does and does not have, sends orders for more stuff back to wherever we came from. Food, spare clothes, tools, light bulbs, toilet paper, booze, the little necessities of life.

What do you say? Have room for one more?
Bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #44
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hi Bes, I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's spelt Werewolf, but pronounced /mind game/. And if you're in any way like Roa, you'll probably make yourself a name like thunder.
Can't speak for Legate, but I'd guess there's a few bunks left on our icebreaker - the more the merrier; and as a lot of us have chosen rather high-flying academic roles, we're in dire need of somebody catering to our practical needs. So welcome aboard!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed, Bes, surely welcome on board (and welcome also to the 'Downs! If you have any questions about the game rules or such, just ask here. (Otherwise, I hope the length of the rules section here does not scare you, but I think there should be everything you need to know. Anyway, if it was unclear, better ask! Or you can always ask Roa or something for sure...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #46
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yay, Bes! Welcome aboard!

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #47
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
New players! Great!

Looking forwards to meeting you in the game Bes!

Have fun!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #48
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes View Post
Hey folks. I'm new here, just posted in the new member area actually. I heard about this game from Roa, and I wanted to give it a try. The way she describes it, it sounds much more cerebral than pretty much any other game I've ever played in, and that appeals to me.

If you're still accepting new players, I'd like the character role of a stock room/store manager: The guy who keeps track of what the expedition site does and does not have, sends orders for more stuff back to wherever we came from. Food, spare clothes, tools, light bulbs, toilet paper, booze, the little necessities of life.

What do you say? Have room for one more?

Frest meat....

And speaking of which, I'll be the *takes a deep breath* person who really came up with the plans for the whole thing but was semi-double crossed by her partner and now is a glorified pack mule and very bitter because no one appreciates nor acknowledges her input although she pretty much knows everything.

Did I beat Boro and Nog?
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #49
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Oh dear.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #50
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
And speaking of which, I'll be the *takes a deep breath* person who really came up with the plans for the whole thing but was semi-double crossed by her partner and now is a glorified pack mule and very bitter because no one appreciates nor acknowledges her input although she pretty much knows everything.

Did I beat Boro and Nog?
Possibly...

We are still open if anybody wants to join, and the plan (if you haven't noticed it yet) is to start on 28th at 9 PM GMT with Night 1.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #51
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*raises hand* Room for one more?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #52
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Surely there is!

That would make eighteen of us (if Hakon is indeed playing. Any news about that?). I am starting to think to put in a fourth Wolf for balance, more so if anybody else decides to join...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #53
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Actually, since school is practically done for me I'd like to sign up with a question mark if there's still room. I'll know by tomorrow whether I will definitely have time or not, but I think I shall.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #54
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Actually, since school is practically done for me I'd like to sign up with a question mark if there's still room. I'll know by tomorrow whether I will definitely have time or not, but I think I shall.
Wonderful! Welcome on board, then (if you indeed will choose to participate ).

That makes me really think about introducing a fourth Wolf. If we by any chance hit 20, I am going to put him there in any case.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #55
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy this looks so interesting, I'd love to play if there is still room, only that I won't be around until the evening of 29th so I'd miss Night 1 at least...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #56
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*howls* Is it time to play yet? If we start now the wolves can snack on turkey(s) while they wait out the Night.

Also, yay for Greenie, Wilwa, and Shasta~!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #57
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

It isn't that big problem to miss Night 1, as even the people who actually do something on Night 1 rarely use it for anything of great importance. So, in other words, welcome to our BIG expedition!

But okay! That means if wilwa confirms her participation, we are indeed going to have quite many people so we are going to have four Wolves. I am going to edit the rules in that sense tomorrow if it indeed turns out that way.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #58
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
*howls* Is it time to play yet? If we start now the wolves can snack on turkey(s) while they wait out the Night.
You mean that this way they could leave out some Night kills since they'll be full? Well, I think you wouldn't be happy with your suggestion if you found yourself being a Wolf...

Speaking of that, I will be sending roles on the 28th some time (probably an hour or so) before DL. After that, the sign-ups (and sign-outs, if anything like that occured) will be officially closed (although I don't think I would get, or even want to get, much more players than we have now, unless we make it an incredibly big game...).
Old 11-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #59
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Great! I'll be a senior assistant to every important scientist aboard.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #60
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Aww Legate.

I think I could actually just be the whale expert. No penguins this time after all. (I had a dream that I decided this way, so I had better follow it, I guess. )

Our player list looks cool.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #61
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I imagine this kind of expedition, while having been flown there by plane, will be in need of dogsleds to make any kind of headway along the ground, so could I be the sled-dog handler?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #62
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I imagine this kind of expedition, while having been flown there by plane, will be in need of dogsleds to make any kind of headway along the ground, so could I be the sled-dog handler?
E-ee. No plane. It's going to be only a ship. (see the narrations) Otherwise not sure if dogs would work here, being stationed on board for long anyway.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #63
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, if anything, it would be much easier to transport dogs on a ship than on a plane! And what would a polar expedition be without sleds and sled-dogs? Think of Scott and Amundsen* (OK, that was the other pole, but still...)!
If dogs interfere with your ideas for the narrations, well, I understand. It would be nice to have some, though.

*(I almost wrote Starkweather and Moore, but I'm not sure what means of transport they used...)
Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #64
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I know, but I was only thinking from the point of view of long-term keeping the dogs on board. Otherwise I don't mind, narration-wise or anything.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #65
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I really hate to say this since I would love to play in this game but I cannot. I said put me down with a question mark but sadly I have to withdraw from the game. Good luck to all participants.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #66
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

A pity, Hakon. But well, perhaps some other time.

Okay, so let's see, if we have wilwa confirming her participation, I am going to make it four wolves.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #67
tromkehra
Pile O'Bones

tromkehra has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to tromkehra Send a message via MSN to tromkehra Send a message via Yahoo to tromkehra Send a message via Skype™ to tromkehra
Hey, I don't know if it's too late to apply for the game I'd certainly like to join. I just had a little trouble with my computer earlier, it's better now .
tromkehra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #68
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromkehra View Post
Hey, I don't know if it's too late to apply for the game I'd certainly like to join. I just had a little trouble with my computer earlier, it's better now .
Okay, well, you got lucky in a way as I have already decided the roles, but I haven't posted them yet. So why not - a last minute sign-up, that means however that I need to rearrange the roles yet once again with you included. But more players is always better, and this way we get a nice number. So, I hope there is no problem if we start the game a bit later in that sense, I will post the opening narration, but I will send the roles only during the course of the following hour (or two hours in the worst case, depends on how long it takes).

Thus everyone will get their roles during the following hour (or two). I guess that doesn't make such a big deal on Night 1. (If I got vehement protests via PMs from the Werewolves or Ranger, Hunter whatever, I could rearrange it in some way, but I guess there is no problem if Night 1 is one or two hours shorter.)
Old 11-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #69
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, everybody should have their roles now (if somebody of you didn't get a PM from me, then PM me and I will send you your role. But I think, and hope, that I didn't miss anybody).

So, whoever of you has some Nightly activities, you can do them now. Sorry for the slight delay with the start of the Night, but now we have a nice round number of players And I think we also have an interesting game in front of us (or I would at least hope so). Enjoy!

wilwa and tromkehra, if you wish to think of some in-narration roles for yourselves, you can write that to me or here on this thread. That's just so that you don't feel like you've been robbed of the opportunity to pick one.

We are going to start Day 1 in some 22 and half hours from now, if I am counting correctly... simply put, normally, 9PM GMT.

And now I am off to edit the rules a bit - that is, change the number "three" to "four". We have four Werewolves!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #70
tromkehra
Pile O'Bones

Send a message via AIM to tromkehra Send a message via MSN to tromkehra Send a message via Yahoo to tromkehra Send a message via Skype™ to tromkehra
I can be the cook/bar tender please ? Hurray chef? :3
Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #71
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I can be the cook/bar tender please ? Hurray chef? :3
Remember to use Invisible Mode.

User CP+ Edit Options+Check 'Use Invisible Mode', then 'Save Changes'.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #72
tromkehra
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Remember to use Invisible Mode.

User CP+ Edit Options+Check 'Use Invisible Mode', then 'Save Changes'.
Do I need to be invisible during the night hours? *Confused*
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #73
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Do I need to be invisible during the night hours? *Confused*
It's best to be Invisible the entire game, as long as you're an active player.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #74
tromkehra
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
It's best to be Invisible the entire game, as long as you're an active player.
Okie dokie, thanks for letting me know .
Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #75
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, I am definitely playing, just want to confirm!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #76
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

So just realised that the DL for me is 5pm, so I'll be on for a few hours at the beginning of Day 1, but then it's night, school and work for me, with barely any breaks in between. So basically Day 1 will really suck for me. Day 2 however should be very good.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #77
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
LEGATE I have fifteen minutes til I prepare for work!

I must know must I vote now or does the deadline expand past the 24 hours?!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #78
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
LEGATE I have fifteen minutes til I prepare for work!

I must know must I vote now or does the deadline expand past the 24 hours?!
Copying this from the game thread...

To state it clearly, DL is the time of when the Day 1 narration was posted (the one labeled "Expedition Journal - Day 1 Entry", the third post from the top on the game thread). So you should be able to read the time from there if you are unsure. Although I think I have counted the DL time correctly (I don't trust myself in maths, ever, perhaps somebody could verify or correct me).
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #79
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

This is to prevent anybody posting here before the narration is up. NO POSTS HERE NOR ON THE GAME THREAD NOW.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #80
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

SPECIAL EVENT: A HUMANE DECISION

This is the first of the events I have been mentioning in the game overview. Since it is only Day 1 and there is not much to go with, the team of peaceful scientists has decided not to go with a lynch with the risk of butchering possible innocents.

What this effectively means for the game is that there will be no lynch toDay.

There will be also no Night kill among the players to balance it. Locking up Inziladun in the compartment is merely a narrational tool, it will not have any effect on the game whatsoever (if the person has any Night activities, he can still perform them) and Inziladun would be released at the beginning of next Day.

ToMorrow, the game will resume as normal, and no other cancellations like this will happen for the rest of the game (we'll be lynching and killing people permanently from now on as usual). You can use the Day 1 as a tool for extra information about the people, so effectively, you can consider this "pre-Day 1" and your "real" Day 1 (so to say, in terms of lynching) starts only now. But as you have genuine (or "genuine") votes cast from yesterDay (as nobody knew about this event), you will be able to use them toMorrow as material for analysis - thus, it will be like a Day 1, but with the difference of having already some record from the previous Day to go on with... surely I can leave it now to your minds.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 11-30-2009 at 03:40 PM.