The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2003, 10:50 AM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Corruption and Evil... leading to power loss?

We can see, both in the Silmarillion with Melkor and in the LOTR with Sauron, that both the Dark Lords were terrible in might, but their power diminished with the passing of time.

Melkor first. From being the most powerful of the Valar, his power diminished to a point where he was hurt by Fingolfin, he was enchanted by Luthien and was utterly defeated... Why? I think I remember Tolkien saying that because of his corruption (along the extertions, the will he had to place forth among his servants, etc) his power diminished.

That's the same that happened with Sauron. From being the most powerful soldier of Morgoth, he is destroyed by the mere melting of his Ring. His corruption obviously affected his maiar-powers, and utterly diminished to a point where an elf was able to read his mind (Galadriel). Besides, if his Boss Morgoth suffered that loss, being more powerful than Sauron, I pressume that Sauron suffered the same doom.

What do you think?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yah, with the corruption came a more limited evil power. For one, nothing was created to be evil. So they had to use up their own to create it. I wouldn't say that him being wounded by Fingolfin or enchanted by Luthian had anything to do with being lesser power. Even Mandos was affected by the songs of Luthian. The reason Sauron was destroyed when the ring was, is that he put all his spirit and power into the ring so it could control all the other rings.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:05 AM   #3
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Maybe, another reason, was that they placed forth their power to do evil deeds... but because of what Eru said (that their evil deeds would turn out in benefit for the creation and for good) even though they tried to do evil, in the end it turned good...

Im seeing it like their effectiveness with their power reduced when they used it for evil purposes, since the results they were searching for were not achieved.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1. If you want to learn more about the dissemation of Melkor's pwers, into Arda and his Orcs, then read 'HoME 10; Morgoths Ring'.

Quote:
From being the most powerful soldier of Morgoth, he is destroyed by the mere melting of his Ring.
Mere melting of his ring? Hm....that ring contained a LOT of his inhernet power. Sauron was more powerful due to his alliegance to Melkor because Melkor seemingly enjoeyed giving away power to his minions.

Quote:
From being the most powerful soldier of Morgoth
I'm confused my the term 'soldier'. Don't you mean servant? Strength in battle doesn't always equate to power. For example, Tulkas was 'stronger' then Manwe, battle-wise, but not his match in terms of power.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Sauron with the ring was still extremely powerful. I recall someone saying in LOTR (possibly Gandalf) that if he regained the ring his victory would be "swift and complete".

Morgoth lost some of his power because he drained himself on things like Ungoliant, dragons, and so on.

I don't recall reading that their diminished power had anything to do with them being evil.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The corruption in itself does not reduce the power of someone. The things they did, being evil, was what made them less powerful. Morgoth was corrupting orcs, and in the Silmarillion it says that this took alot of his power. Sauron made the One Ring and put alot of his power into it. Morgoth lost the part of power forever, but it changed into his servants. Sauron held his power, until he lost the Ring in the battle with the Last Alliance.

So, both of them were evil as powerful as good... but when they did put forth their in people or things, they weakened.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #7
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps all of the Ainur used up their power in their actions(not all of their actions, things like making the two trees, enchanting Vingilot, altering their forms), the difference being that the Valar and loyal Maiar had the support of the permanent power source(Eru), whereas Melkor had to use up his own large but limited supply of power.

This is a theory with holes in it, I'll have to admit. After all, Yavanna only had enough power to make one set of Two Trees. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the case of Yavanna [ and of Feanor] I am not convinced that it was a case of power alone, there also must have been present a certain zeal, inspiration [personal and probably Divine - from Eru] and timing tied to a specific place and time.

Sort of like, I would guess, times whn you have worked ofr hours perhaps on a post or stry or something and for got to save it and it gets lost. poof, all of theat work gone.

Often if it is not obligatory [and sometimes even of it is!] one will simply feel overwhelmed and desireless in regards to the lost work. I imagine there was an aspect of that (times say 1,ooo) in feanor's case.

With Yavanna, the 2 trees were made at a very specific time in the History of Arda, and I surmise that even if she had wanted to she would not have had a blessing from Eru or Manwe to make another pair. THeir job was, sadly, done.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote