The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Michael Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Grey Havens

I am so confused about how the book ends. Where are they all going, and how come Sam cannot come? The way it ends feels like there should be much more of a story.
Michael Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

They are leaving for the West, which is where the Elves when weary of Middle Earth. Frodo and Bilbo are also able to go as they are Ring Bearers.
Sam didn't leave with them because he still had his family to care for-he did not wish to leave the Shire. But the Appendices state that he travelled over the Sea years later after Rosie (his wife) died.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In the end, all those who had grown weary of Middle-earth departed from the Grey Havens and took Frodo and Bilbo with them. They went to Tol Eressea, or the Blessed Realm, where all the exiled elves were allowed to come when they had tired of the mortal lands.No mortal had ever been allowed there before the two hobbits. Frodo was brought there to heal, for he was totally destroyed in spirit after the destruction of the Ring, and had lapsed into a deep depression. Also, eventually, Gimli was granted permission to come to Eressea with Legolas, the only dwarf ever to do so.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Sting

So, is there another book that describes that story, or is it just in the appendix (which I haven't finished reading yet)? Does the 10 book history of middle earth cover it?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:57 PM   #5
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The appendix is good to sum up your initial questions after you finish the book, but if you really want to know about it you have to read the Silmarilion.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #6
Thalionyulma
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thalionyulma has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The appendix is a great help. The Silmarilion is a great read - it tells the whole history!
After reading LOTR, I felt I wanted to have the story go on... and on.

Sheeesh, I wish JRRT had lived a few years more!
Thalionyulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:22 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Yes, do read the Silmarillion, it is very informative and a great read!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:27 PM   #8
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Why do the Elves have to sail west in order to remain immortal? Why would staying in Middle Earth make them mortal? Does this include Gandalf?
Old 04-02-2002, 12:03 AM   #9
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
Why do the Elves have to sail west in order to remain immortal? Why would staying in Middle Earth make them mortal? Does this include Gandalf?
Their sailing West has nothing to do with their mortality or immortality. It's their nature to be immortal.
As for Gandalf, he sails West because that is where he is from and his mission is complete.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:34 AM   #10
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Sting

But it said in the book that Arwen turned mortal because she did not sail west with Elrond...
Old 04-02-2002, 10:41 AM   #11
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen is a seperate case because she has mortal blood running through her. Elrond's father was Earendil and Earendil's father was Tuor, who was a mortal man. If one posses any mortal blood then their spirits must leave Middle Earth when their bodies die (as opposed to elven spirits, which remain in Middle Earth) Because of the great deeds of Earendil (of which, many are recounted in the Silmarillion) he and his progeny are given the choice of which race they wish to belong to. Earendil chose to be counted among the elven race, as did his elder son Elrond. Elros, Elrond's brother, chose to be counted among mortal men, he becomes the first king of Numenor. Aragorn is related to Elros, but of coarse many generations removed. Arwen chose to be counted among the mortals as well in order to remain with Aragorn. The fait of Elrond's twin sons is never revealed to us, all that is said is that they dwelt in Rivendell for some time. I've always believed they sailed into the west some time later.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #12
Variag of Khand

Sting

Yes, Arwen doesn't go West because she chooses mortality, not the other way around!

There are a few other examples. Luthien is one where an elf renounces her mortality, in order to share the doom of Man (ie death).
Old 04-06-2002, 08:18 PM   #13
Ereinion
Animated Skeleton

Ereinion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ereinion
Sting

Actually, Elladan and Elrohir choose a mortal life. I can't remember exactly where it says this, but I've always been interested in them. One possible theory I like is that they might have stayed longer to finish their fued with the Orcs and mop up any remaining in ME. The relatively short period between end of Sauron and the departure of Elrond might not have been enough time to accomplish this. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but basically, as long as Elrond was in ME, his children were immortal. It was their choosing not to leave for the West with Elrond that lead to their mortality.
Ereinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #14
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am almost positive that the fate of Elladan and Elrohir is not revealed to us in any of Tolkien's writings. I have never seen that Elrond's children must remain with him to remain immortal. It never actually says whether or not Elrond's children could make their own discussion as to which race they desired to belong to. I do not see any reason why they should not have been given the opportunity to choose for themselves.

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:26 PM   #15
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Question

My question is why would Elraond leave if it would kill his daughter. He'd been in ME for what...3000 years or so? If he had waited another 300 for Aragorn to die he could have saved his daughter.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:39 AM   #16
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The fate of Ellandan and Elrohir is not know. Tolkien tells us this in Letter 153:
Quote:
The end of his sons, Elladan and Elrohir, is not told: they delay their choice, and remain for a while.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #17
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
My question is why would Elraond leave if it would kill his daughter. He'd been in ME for what...3000 years or so? If he had waited another 300 for Aragorn to die he could have saved his daughter.
ELrond's leaving had nothing to do with Arwen's becoming mortal. Arwen became mortal because she chose the fate of Men rather than the Elves. She became mortal so as not to be separated from Aragorn.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:16 AM   #18
Michael Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Sting

In the end, I'm also confused, it seems like Aragorn chooses when to die, so technically he could live much longer, and then it seems like he gets to go on to the grey havens? So basically Arwen gets screwed...am I reading this right?
Old 04-08-2002, 01:01 AM   #19
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

No, Aragorn doesn't go to the Grey Havens.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:33 PM   #20
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Aragorn wasn't the only mortal who was allowed to chose when they died. Tolkien confirms that any mortal in the Blessed Land--man, hobbit, or even presumably dwarf--got to chose when he would pass on to the circles beyond the world. Presumably, this group would have included Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, and Gimli. I figure Bilbo chose to move on first, and Frodo was probably at his side when he died. Then Frodo might have waited for Sam so they could go on together.

But what about poor Gimli? No way Legolas is going anywhere like that! I've never truly understood Gimli's time in Tol Eressa. I know about his service for Galadriel, but it still seems strange. He was the only one who wasn't a Ringbearer, and what special pains did he have to heal? We know about Bilbo and Frodo's difficulties. Even Sam might have had a guilty conscience since he had a nice long, healthy life and marriage plus lots of kids in the Shire, which is in contrast to what happened to his beloved Frodo. But Gimli?... Is there any more information about Gimli sailing from Grey Havens in the history of middle earth or anywhere?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-24-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote