The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #41
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Can I please have my bra back? La Perla is expensive enough without having to buy something twice. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Ok, ok, seriously though, great job in the Books, Esty, we are all very proud. Too bad for the people who just wish to express their "legolust," but there are plenty of websites out there tailored specifically to their needs.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:55 PM   #42
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

In just a few days I'm already noticing a marked improvement on the Downs, particularly on the Books. I think the thought-provoking topics have just been buried under a pile of pointless and irrelevant questions. Big round of applause to Estelyn!

And my sig's reduced!
Old 08-18-2002, 03:25 PM   #43
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

um, lush, how did your bra get "lost" in the forum? oh, yeah, no questions. i really didn't want to know anyways.
i too have noticed the improvement. and if your goal was making it impossable for me to post the the books, you have succeded.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:14 PM   #44
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I'm sure that wasn't their goal, but I'll just bet they had you in mind [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

*Looks impressed* I am liking this! The forums are getting better already! Let the Renaissance begin!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:34 AM   #45
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gandolf the Grey --

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You are also involved in what looks like an unusual and very interesting RPG. If I ever get my life in order, I will ask you if I can join in on your next one! Hopefully, that will happen soon with the return of fall schdules.

We are hoping to do an edit on the "The Lonely Star" and eventually turn it into a fanfiction novel. It deals with the "secret" history of the hobbits before l050, Third Age, going all the way back to Beleriand. These are the things that Gandalf once alluded to, but never came out and explained. (i.e. he knew more than he said concerning the hobbits.)

The Star is our ship. It is able to time travel and has been chosen for the task (get that pregnant passive!) of going to aid the hobbits in various eras.

Our main problem is that the RPG is growing like crazy. My paper copy of the story now exceeds one and a half looseleaf binders! I fear we will end up with a trilogy! (Sound familiar?)

We are just finishing the First Age in the story line. The hobbits originally tagged along with Beor when the big folk crossed over into Beleriand searching for the light. Like the house of Beor, they became Elf-friends. They settled first in Ladros, and then went on to Gondolin for safety, as I am afraid Master Morgorth came out with a nasty memo to a field commander ordering them to be rounded up and imprisoned. (There was something in the Music that gave Morgoth the tip-off, but he fortunately concealed it from his field lieutenant Sauron.) The hobbits have been imprisoned in a work camp for over 70 years. They will be saved because the Orcs march them into the Dorthonion highlands, which will emerge from the floods as the island of Tol Fuin. Next, on to Numenor!!!

I'd say it's a cross between a time-travel story, a mystery, and even a bit of a soap-opera set in Middle-earth. My character is a somewhat more light hobbit take off from the wise woman Andreth in Morgoth's Ring. Like Andreth, she has a "tragic relationship," only with a Fallohide instead of an Elf!

Don't get me started on this as it is quite engrossing!

Yes, I think there has been some improvement in both the Books and Novices forums in recent days. And I will try to post more as my life gets back together. See you on the boards!

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 08-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #46
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The admins and co. are def on the right track, hopefully the resulting tightening up of the Books will keep them from ever becoming 'softies' again!

Of course when i looked in the Mirror I had to wnder if much of the points of Mr. U. werer not aimed at me!

too long a sig - yep

abbreviations - def. and v. are among my fav's

splelingg - ype

url's in posts -I have snuck the elvish.org site in a couple of times to promote the Osanwe-Kenta, and Please forgive me but I can't say I won't do it again [ he says w/ head hanging down]

superficial posts - well at least I am not guilty of that one , unless you count my infamous polls poll [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway the changes are spot on and those who are annoyed can come back after they have read HoME a few more times!

-the other white barrow master
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 03:47 PM   #47
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Maril hands over designer bra with a sigh. Well, it wasn't my size anyways... *Thinks.. I know I said I wouldn't ask any questions, but that deflated soccer ball begs explanation.. will ask Squatter for any fascinating theories.*

Squatter, I have the ring at the appraiser, but I've been having some trouble getting it back...

No doubt I'll have it back soon.

The croquet set is either from the Barrow-Downs party or the Sports in Middle Earth thread. What it's doing in the Books in anyone's guess (like that bra).

Those RPGs sound interesting. Unfortunately, as much as I enjoy them, RPGs takes a level of committment that I don't feel I can in all integrity agree. I don't want to let people down.

-Maril

[ August 19, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 08-23-2002, 08:45 PM   #48
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Perhaps I am wrong, but I do not like these new policies of the Downs.

The Downs is a place where free thought and speech run rampid with Tolkien related ideas flourshing, from the ridiculously serious to the obserdidly silly. Yet, there has always been a balance between the two. There is nothing wrong with a fan asking as the opinion of the cutest member of the fellowship, for that is the interest of some. Yet this sort of thing is discouraged. The free thought that has procured itself seems to be a valve for us. We are all quite strange, why else would we proclaim ourselves dead? Yet, we are stuck in a society of sameness. The geek in the corner who reads all day cannot be appreciated for his intelligence, but only laughed at for being "not cool". This is a place that all can be appreciated for our thoughts no matter what the are.

And as to getting off topic, I find that it is generallly our premium members who are most guilty of this crime. For they are the ones most bored with the topic at hand. Is it wrong for us to want to learn a little bit more about our fellow tolkienites? I hope not.

Also, the ones that are generally make these not so professional comments are children, newcomers to the books who are not yet old or wise enough to ask a deep question.

A place that starts with everyone being able to be dead and say as they want, that evolves into one where speech, opinion, and free thought are taboo is one that is all to familiar.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #49
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Yes, you are wrong. The Downs is not and never was (or will be) a "place where free thought and speech run rampid with Tolkien related ideas flourshing, from the ridiculously serious to the obserdidly silly". Yikes!

I'll not respond piecemeal to the rest of your post, but rather to everything as a whole: The Downs is not a social club, but instead a place to converse and learn. Chat room are for conversations. Forums are for discussion. Chats are spontaneous. Discussions require premeditation. The only thing taboo here is spontaneous outbursts of off-topic blather.

All we are asking for is just a little thought before you (anyone) hit the ENTER key. If that's too stifling, then maybe the Downs is not the barrow for you (again, this is addressed to anyone).
Old 08-25-2002, 10:33 AM   #50
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Shield

I'm of the opinion that we didn't need to be moderated before because the old members out-numbered the new. Appropriate behavior (and discussion) was 'modelled' by the majority, who kept it at a pretty high level. It's only once the majority of the members were new that we had trouble with this excellent system.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:17 PM   #51
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do "rampid" and "obsurdidly" mean? I'm by no means clear about "flourshing" either. Perhaps this is an elaborate form of Nevbosh and the joke's on me.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #52
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Now, now, Squatter. I included the quote to point out the error of its meaning. I'd have stuck in a few [sic]s if I'd have wanted to be pedantic (your word, but a favorite of mine) about the misspellings. Let's be nice and get back to thanking Underhill or stating oposing opinions. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:12 PM   #53
Beren87

Sting

My aren't we all full of ourselves...

If you would prefer correctly spelled words then add a spellcheck, like EZBoard has.
I'm not sure how to on UBB though, I use PHP, I just assume you can.

You know, this site needs like a suggestion box, those things really help.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Old 08-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #54
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is a very simple way to explain why things are the way they are: We don't pay the bills for this site, therefore it is not a democracy. Simple enough??

Bravo!, Mr Underhill and welcome back!
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #55
Beren87

Sting

None the less I am sure that the Barrowwight is aiming for the best site that he can have, that was the only reason for the suggestion box.

You also say that we should provide opposing opinions, but why when they are shot down without even considering their meaning?

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Old 08-26-2002, 04:20 PM   #56
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Hi Beren87, we're all welcome to make suggestions. If the suggestion box looks suspiciously like a garbage can, well, that's the BW's perogative. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] You're lucky, most of my suggestions have been Ignored completely. lol

As far as spelling is concerned, I only bother to spell correctly when I want people to listen to and respect what I have to say. I use a dictionary wherever spell-crutch isn't available. It takes time, but keeps me from being teased.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Maril

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 08-27-2002, 04:02 AM   #57
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Yes, that was rather cruel, wasn't it? Sorry, Beren; and thanks, BW for pulling me up on it.

Quote:
You also say that we should provide opposing opinions, but why when they are shot down without even considering their meaning?
Because they might not be shot down: an opinion that's expressed has at least a small chance of being acted upon. However, the fact of having stated one's ideas doesn't confer on them the right to be adopted. As I see it, to complain because one's ideas for this site appear to have been ignored is tantamount to complaining because the owner of a house in which one is a guest doesn't follow one's interior-design tips.
Speaking of the owner: my copyright on the word "pedantic" has yet to be approved, BW; so feel free to use it until it is.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 02-22-2006 at 05:21 AM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #58
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

'Via POST:

Congratulations, Squatter of Amon Rudh (we trust we have spelled your name correctly)! Thank you for your application. After careful consideration, you have hereby been awarded copyrights to the word "pedantic" for the term of 15 years, effective August 15, 2002.'

The Barrow-Wight owes you 0.377777 cents. How does that translate to British pounds?

Maril [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 01:18 PM   #59
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

0.2474 New Pence; £0.002474 Sterling or 0.003872 Euro precisely, according to this morning's exchange rates. I shall endeavour not to spend it all at once.

Singing: I'm in the money. I'm in the money. I've got a lot of what it takes to get along...

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 02-22-2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Repair of UBB smiley and removal of old editing notice
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #60
Beren87

Sting

Thanks all, my whole-assed opinons NEED to be shot down anyway for the good of mankind. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But uhhh, I guess it was just my "rebel without a brain" persona coming through, restrictions make me queasy.
Now that I look, the rules are definetly better for the site.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]