The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2002, 02:25 AM   #1
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Inspiration to the books

*New member*

Is it true that Tolkien got inspired by the myths (and things like that)of Scandinavia? Am really curious... I mean, "Middle-Earth" is the place where the Nordic gods lived.. Anyone knows? Thanx for your help [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*Sorry for my English*
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 02:27 AM   #2
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Another place where the gods where is "Asagård" btw... Doesn´t it sound quite similar to things in the books? It would be cool if he was inspired of it, I mean, I´m from Sweden... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Tolkien was inspired by the myths of Scandinavia. I know he was in a club called the Inklings, where they would read and discuss the old Norse sagas in the original language. Also, he did a very detailed study of the story Beowulf. I'm sure both of these things influenced the characters and settings of Middle Earth. Plus, I remember reading that some of the Elvish in Lord of the Rings came from an old language spoken in Finland.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:36 PM   #4
Adariana

Sting

Tolkien was plainly inspired by his Christian faith. To see this a good book is the one I am currently reading, "Finding God in the Lord of the Rings." It shows the striking parallel to Bible in many aspects.
I could tell you more if I had finished the book that I am reading.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

That book sounds interesting. Who's it by? I might try and find it next time I'm in Moore Books.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Okay, thanx. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In reply to Sindalomiel:
I have the book Finding God in the Lord of the Rings, too. It is by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware. I haven't had time to read it yet, but it should be really interesting.

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: dernhelm ]
Old 01-16-2002, 05:13 AM   #8
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

Thanks Dernhelm, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy somewhere.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:18 AM   #9
Perethil
Pile O'Bones

Perethil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tolkien was majorly inspired by Norse mythology and it formed a major base to his legends. i think, he also had great knowledge of ancient Nordic languages.
Perethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
Little_My*
Pile O'Bones

Little_My* has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

midgård is middle earth in swedish..and it was there the people lived, then there was utgård och asgård..utgård was home of the giants and asgård the home of the gods. dont know how to translate it...anyone else from sweden here?
"Do extra-terrestrial beings exist? - the Nobel Prize winning Italian physicist, Enrico Fermi, was once asked by his disciples in California. Of course, Fermi answered - they are already here among us, they are called Hungarians..."
Little_My* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Tolkien was an avid reader of Scandinavian legends. His work on Beowulf is still read today. In fact, he and his students (I don't remember exactly where) started a Viking club where they sat around, drank ale, and discussed Scandinavian epics and legends. He got the names of the 13 Dwarves in The Hobbit from characters of Scandinavian legend. He also got Gandalf's character from the Kalevala. He also loved Celtic mythology. In fact, that is where he got his Elves from. They are very similar to the Sidhe in Celtic folklore.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

YAy!Gandalf from Kalevala!?!actually gandalf can be compared to Väinämöinen(kind of wizard in Kalevala) but i hadn't ever realized that...(i'm from Finland [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
also the pronaunciation of elvish is (at least partly) based on Finnish so i don't have problems when reading elvish, lucky me... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 04:43 PM   #13
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I guess there are familiar elements from many legends. The Swedish, Finnish, Celtic and bible stories have been mentioned. Also Arthurian legend (Return of the King), Atlantis (Numenor), even Shakespeare gets a look in (Ents - Birnam Wood). The Second Age ends with elements of the epic of Gil-gamesh (Gil-galad), probably the oldest surviving known story. As for the end of the Third age, 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came'.

I don't think this sort of thing is anything to worry about, all writers adapt elements of previous stories, few so well as JRRT.

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Rumil ]
Old 06-24-2003, 05:39 PM   #14
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Tolkien was inspired by Celtic myths and Scandinavian legends and stuff. The long poem Kalevala from Finland is the basic inspiration for Quenya.

I've also read that World War 2 inspired him and that he wrote The Silmarilion during the war.

There was also something about him and his wife, that was an inspiration for the love story about Beren and Luthien.

I read some of this in his bio, and something I've just heard so I don't know if it's true. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
Richard Schletty
Newly Deceased

Richard Schletty has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dernhelm View Post
I think Tolkien was inspired by the myths of Scandinavia. I know he was in a club called the Inklings, where they would read and discuss the old Norse sagas in the original language. Also, he did a very detailed study of the story Beowulf. I'm sure both of these things influenced the characters and settings of Middle Earth. Plus, I remember reading that some of the Elvish in Lord of the Rings came from an old language spoken in Finland.
Check out my musical setting of "Gawain's Leave-Taking."

http://www.ricardolardo.com/music/I-Take-My-Leave.html
Richard Schletty is offline   Reply With Quote