The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
Achika E.

Sting Was it just me?

Was it just me or was some of you guys a bit angry about the changes PJ added to the movie? I mean I understand that filming the entire book exactly is not possible but he didn't need to add things that had nothing to do with the story line. I mean adding those wargs and having Aragorn thrown off the edge of the cliff? I personally didn't like that. Please tell me if it was the same for some of you?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I think most of us here disliked that part mainly, along with Faramir and such. *glances around to make sure others agree*. It was just an excuse to give them more kissy-time.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't mean to dump water all over your campfire, Achika E., but there are quite a few other threads with this subject (& quite a few other threeads that have already degenerated into arguing as well )
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found that if it was a PJ addition, I preferred it to every other scene. Faramir was my favourite character, and most of the 11 times I saw TTT, I went because I wanted to see the Osgiliath/Faramir scenes over and over. In other words, I went back to drool over David Wenham
Old 07-30-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Okay, I change my mind. Make that almost everyone, excluding Meela.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

They just wanted more Arwen, darnit. She does have an uncanny way of weaving herself into the most improbable storylines. Don't get me wrong, Liv Tyler is a great Arwen but in very small amounts (Tolkien measurements, preferably).
Old 07-30-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought they did a good show with adapting FOTR, my only real problem is the ridiculous wizard fight, which even PJ feels is cheesy, which begs the question, *** did he put it in???? <P>I has much more angry at the TTT, too much Arwen, I didn't really have a problem with the Wrags but the whole Aragorn falling and dreaming thing got on my nerves, especially when they ended the film at the point where they did, I didn't like how they've caracterized MErry and Pippin as actually influencing the Ents to attack Isengard. THe Osgiliath thing was dumb too since it unnecessarily complicates the plot, and i hate how they changed Faramir, he's one of my favourite characters in the book and they've just butchered his caracter for NO GOOD REASON.
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:07 AM   #8
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were some things that annoyed me in TTT but the thing that annoyed me the most was the way they changed the Faramir charector. I thought the idea of Faramir was to make him the opposite of Boromir to prove that not all men were that greedy. But, for some reason they portrayed him almost the same as Boromir which i thought was a big mistake.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:04 AM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought they did a good show with adapting FOTR, my only real problem is the ridiculous wizard fight, which even PJ feels is cheesy, which begs the question, *** did he put it in???? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm, when did he say that? I recall his comment in the director's commentary being something like, I never liked wizzard fights with blue lightning shooting out of their fingers (boy, I wonder what that's in reference too ), so I thought it would be fun just to have two old guys beat the crap out of each other.<P>H.C.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:25 AM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I didn't like how they've caracterized MErry and Pippin as actually influencing the Ents to attack Isengard (Sauron 666)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't forget, Sauron, in the books their entry into Fangorn was what caused the Ents to attack Saruman's stronghold. I think the changes in that respect of the movie could have been worse, and I agree with you about Faramir. I didn't like the changes they made to him one bit.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:48 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought they did a good show with adapting FOTR, my only real problem is the ridiculous wizard fight, which even PJ feels is cheesy, which begs the question, *** did he put it in????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I actually didn't have a problem with it. It's totally different if they're shooting lighting bolts out of there fingertips at eachother (as Hc alreay said). Yes it was an addition, & yes it was a bit strange at first, but for the most part it fit right in & I enjoyed it.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote