The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2003, 10:40 PM   #441
Arawethiel
Animated Skeleton

Arawethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello everyone! I'm Arawethiel as you can see and this is the first forum I've ever joined. I've looked around here before in the past and I thought it would be fun to join. I don't know much about how this stuff works, but I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it. I look forward to talking with you all! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #442
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Hello there, Arawethiel. Isn't great to be dead and rotting?! I said earlier in this thread to post alot, but what I meant was to post well. Hopefully you can do both. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Enjoy this lovely haunting layout!

~Eress

PS ~ Love your sig! That's always been one of my favorite quotes!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #443
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi The Evenstar, Noliel, One Axe to Rule them All, Arien Sunlight, Estella Brandybuck, Mordor_Queen, Rivendell elf, Mike Wakouskie, Annalaliath, and Arawethiel. Welcome to the downs! Post well.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:45 AM   #444
Iarwain Ben-adar

Sting

Hello! I've been here before as bombadil, but in my absence that name has apparently been taken by someone else. I frequent another Tolkien board as well, but this one has by far the better discussions of serious book issues.

RL takes up far too much time for me to be a frequent post-er here, but I'll check in a few times a week and read the latest book threads. See you all around!
Old 04-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #445
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello Iarwain Ben-Adarwho has been here before. Hope to see you around.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:38 AM   #446
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Boots

Hello everybody. I'm so unbelievably ancient I read LOTR for the first time in the "first authorized paperback edition." (Ok, 1969, and I was 15 yrs old) The films, in my opinion, are an incredible achievement/translation from literature to the language of film (and there is a BIG difference). But they both stand up to repeated readings/viewings. And I wasn't nearly so moved by the Grey Havens scene at age 15 as I was at age...well, you do the math [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]!
Oh yes, and my first beloved cat was named Frodo...
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #447
Liamtan

Hi, I'm Liamtan and I'm more into the LotR TCG than in the books, but that has to change. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Later!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #448
Idril Meloriel Arcamenel

Sting

Hi!
I'm Idril Meloriel Arcamenel, that's most of my name translated into Elvish [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I love chatting and LotR so I thought I'd try out this place! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
**~me~**
Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #449
Heathie4479
Pile O'Bones

Heathie4479 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Heathie4479
Sting

Hi, I'm Meg. This is the first LOTR fourum I have joined, but not the first fourum. Heehee I'm glad to be here!
Heathie4479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:55 PM   #450
Ringethiriel
Pile O'Bones

Ringethiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi!!!
im still fairly new here but im getting used to it. this is the best forum i have ever been on.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #451
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey peony_foxburr, Liamtan, Indril Meloriel Arcamenel, Heathie 4479, and Ringethiriel! Welcome to the Downs!!! Happy haunting and post well! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:10 AM   #452
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Hello everyone newly deceased on this site.
Remember to read the faq (saves you questions and embarrassment) and post wisely. If you rate/pm me, I'll do the same for you (all about respect).
Old 04-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #453
The Elvish Bostonian

Pipe

I actually had a question: are you allowed to have more than one account? Cause I'm not quite this new: I've been here for 2 months on another name. If this isn't allowed I'd be happy to give one of the accounts up, I was just wondering.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:58 AM   #454
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

In answer to your question, Elvish Bostonian, accounts that are not used for a long period of time will be routinely deleted after awhile. It is best to use only one, since people get to know a nick and recognize the person's posts.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 06:06 AM   #455
Bunko

Pipe

I found the site today and its a bute. I cant get enough of LOTR/Tolkien.

I decided to read LOTR 2 years ago, I havent read another authors book since, I have now read The Hobbit, Unfinished tales, The Silmarilien and LOTR (all twice) I also bought The Complete Guide to Tolkien which is a fantastic encyclopedia type book
Old 04-11-2003, 03:21 PM   #456
Sea Tiger
Newly Deceased

Sea Tiger has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love this site.One of my friends told me about it. It's so cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Orlando Bloom Rocks!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Sea Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:36 PM   #457
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Hey Bunko and Sea Tiger! Welcome to the Downs!!! Enjoy yourselves and post well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
A word of advice, Sea Tiger, don't say too much about Orlando Bloom because some of the people here will get a little edgy if you do. I believe that there are certain threads just for the purpose of talking about him. Believe me, I am not putting you down. I love Orlando Bloom myself! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 PM   #458
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Iarwain Ben-adar (I remember Bombadil!), peony_foxburr, Liamtan, Idril Meloriel Arcamenel, Heathie4479, Ringethiriel, The Elvish Bostonian, Bunko, and Sea Tiger! Welcome to the downs! Post well! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2003, 03:32 AM   #459
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Hi Iarwain Ben-adar
Welcome to Barrowdowns! Post well and enjoy being dead [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #460
Novhloke
Pile O'Bones

Novhloke has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novhloke
Sting

Hye, my name Novhloke, is a Feminine and Masculine name of my regular name from the name generator [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I hope i can learn more input about LotR than anywere else.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:47 PM   #461
Arayáviëiel

Sting

I love this site. i am new and already enjoying it.

The Weeping Elf Maiden
Arayáviëiel
Old 04-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #462
edda

Sting

Hi, my name (for the purposes of posting on this site) is edda, and I joined because...umm...there's a Led Zeppelin song playing in the background, and I really thought the cast of the movies was achingly sexy, and I like all the little sparkly things you can paste into the cool black background here, and...and...I'm easily confused and sucked into joining things online.

But it looks like a lot of fun here. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #463
Galadriel's Slave

Sting

Hi everyone! =D

I'm in the process of reading Lost Tales 1, and the best book ever was The Silmarillion.

They need to make a movie, although who would play Lúthien is beyond me...

*waves to forum*
Old 04-14-2003, 05:11 PM   #464
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello Novhloke, Arayáviëiel, edda and Galadriel's Slave! Welcome to the Downs, I wish you all happy haunting! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I hope i can learn more input about LotR than anywere else.
That's the spirit, Novhloke! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
I love this site.
You're not alone, Arayáviëiel!
Quote:
I'm easily confused and sucked into joining things online.
But it looks like a lot of fun here.
Beware, edda, 'cause I myself have noticed how addictive this board can be. Before you notice you spend all your spare time here! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
I'm in the process of reading Lost Tales 1
Me too! You might want to check lindil's thread concerning reading of the HoM-E series here.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #465
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Quote:
Before you notice you spend all your spare time here!
Yes, really, I only joined about 2 and a hlaf months ago, and after maybe 2 weeks I was beginning to spend about ahlf of my free time here, then the amount slowly but steadily grew, and now, whaddaya know, I even sneak on between classes! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Enjoy being dead!
Old 04-14-2003, 06:40 PM   #466
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Lol, Izzy. Every time you come over you go on the BDs! I guess I'm kind of obsessed with this site. I spend lots of time on it. Bun unlike Izzy, I actually do other things in my spare time(sometimes)!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #467
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

I would like to say hello to our newest member, lembasabmel. According to the voices in my head, he/she/it should be posting soon.

Also, I would like to welcome crazyinsaneaboutthering, who is, apparently, online.

[ April 14, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #468
lembasabmel

Tolkien

Hiya! I'm _Lembas_, and you may know me from the chat. I finally made myself an account for the forum (I felt left out, all of the nicks in the chat would look like Galad|Forum or Nilt|forumizing). Surprisingly, a lot of the messages I read here were very teenybopperish. I was under the impression that the forum had mostly been purged of people like that, but ah well. You learn to live with it.
Want to know more about me? Of couse you do. I'm 13 and I think Bakshi's LotR is so sad it's hilarious. That movie led me to believe that Nazgul rode around on pegasus-type things and Celeborn was pronounced Keleborn (until my dad read me the book in 2nd grade, that is). I'm not that fond of Jackson's version either. He made Aragorn channel a lemming and hurl himself off a cliff! And the Arwen add-ins! Ugh. Everyone hates Glorfindel. And Bombadillo. AND the Downs.
That's about it for now. Hope this message isn't too long. And another HIYA for all of you people who forgot I said it earlier.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 PM   #469
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Yay! The voices in my head were right! Anyways, welcome to the Downs. Where did you see those teenybopperish posts? Because there usually aren't alot of those here. By the way, nice sig!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 PM   #470
Kain Snowbrace

Shield

I love the barrow downs site!!!! Just introducing myself to everyone today. My name is Kain Snowbrace.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #471
lembasabmel

Sting

Eerie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The teenyboppers were somewhere back at page one. Didn't really look that hard. *waves her hand vaguely about* And hullo other person!
Oh, and does anyone know what -r(squared)s(squared)+81 is? It better be (-rs+9)(rs+9)... *thwacks self for not paying attention in math*
Old 04-15-2003, 06:09 PM   #472
Novhloke
Pile O'Bones

Novhloke has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novhloke
Sting

Much spare time do i waste here. And MUCH input did i learn about LotR in world and in readers opinions and facts.

Love this Forum, Barrow Downs is perhaps the #1 LotR info site, if it is not already.

Welcome everyone else new!

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: Novhloke ]
Old 04-15-2003, 07:04 PM   #473
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Galenlasdur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galenlasdur
Tolkien

Merf..*slaps forehead*Suppose I should have read some of the posts before posting myself,eh?*sheepish grin*sorry for posting my own thread...*shifty glances* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:05 AM   #474
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Welcome everyone to the Downs. Galenlasdur it happens all the time, and yes I have embarrased myself here and I love yo signature [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:17 AM   #475
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

Should I say welcome or hello? Well, I joined about a month ago. I wouldn't say I'm very new, but then again, I never did post here when I joined. So how about I say hello and welcome! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:35 AM   #476
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello everyone, I joined yesterday and just found this. I am American but have lived in Europe for 7 years as a missionary kid. Hmm....whatelse am I supposed to say here?

I am nuts about names and enjoy genealogy and reading family trees (If that doesn't autimaticly make you realize I ought to love Tolkien you may not belong here). I read the Trilogy about every 9 to 10 months. Hope to get to know you. TT
Old 04-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #477
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Hey Tunuviel Took! Welcome to the Downs! And kittiewhirl1677, because you haven't been here long, I'll welcome you too! Post well! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #478
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Hi Tunuviel Took
Welcome to Barrow Downs. I really hope you enjoy your stay! It is a really cool site post well, and enjoy being dead [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!!

P.S My advise is go to FAQ!

[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:39 PM   #479
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Novhloke, Arayáviëiel, edda, Galadriel's Slave (I'm also reading Lost Tales 1!), kittiewhirl1677, lembasabmel, Kain Snowbrace, Galenlasdur (don't worry, we will forgive you, for now! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]If in doubt, check FAQ and try the search engine. If you do that you will hardly ever get mean looks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]), and Tinuviel Took! Welcome to the downs! Post well.

Eressië Ailin: I have voices in my head too! Have you ever traded them with someone else? I have! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I traded one for some song for one about oranges. Yes, I am crazy. O.K. I will be quiet before some mod gets mad at me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 03:07 AM   #480
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Shield

Well, I am back again.

You have no idea how eerie if feels to see newbies that I have welcomed become, like me, a welcomer. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

And then newbies that they have welcomed become welcomers!!

Perhaps it is a little like having children and grandchildren and greatgrandchildren, with a lot less time having passed and so much less effort. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Oh well.

Welcome to every single person who has posted here since I was last here. I hope you enjoy your stay here, and, as no doubt you have been told before, I ask you to post well.

I love you all. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Namarie, noldonyar.

~ Elentari II
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote