The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting The most poignant, powerful moments of the film. (Spoilers)

We all have general impressions, and opinions on the actors and locations. But what were the moments in the movie that touched you the MOST? That made you cry the most, that made emotion well up inside you so much that it could break your heart? Moments that made your mouth just drop into your lap from the awe and wonder of the moment.<P>We know there were several, and I'll briefly list mine, mostly in the form of quotes.<P>I never thought it would end like this." "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. There's another path we all must take. The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to the silver clouds, and then you see it. ... White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." <P>"Don't let go, Mr. Frodo. Don't you dare let go!" (I'm not kidding, I still get chills just thinking about it!)<P>"I can't carry it for you, but I CAN carry you!"<P>"This one's for the Shire. And this one's for Mr. Frodo. AND THIS ONE'S FOR MY OLD GAFFER!"<P>(In front of Black Gate, by Aragorn) "For Frodo."<P>(Théoden)"And Rohan will answer."<P>(Eomer)"All the oaths you have taken before, fulfill them now!"<P>"RIDE NOW! RIDE TO RUIN -- AND THE WORLD'S ENDING!!"<P>And simply THE most powerful moment, aside from the climax, was when the horn of Gondor sounded. That was simply THE most amazing part of the movie. There shall be no objections on this. <P>What about you?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
faenaduial

Silmaril

For me the moments that touched me most in this movie were the small quiet moments.<P>Pippin singing for Denethor.<P>Sam and Frodo talking together on the rock in the midst of the lava.<P>Frodo back in the Shire talking about never being able to truely go back.<P>I can't even think about these wonderful scenes without starting to cry again.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are too many wonderful "scenes" in this film for me to pick right now, until I've seen it at least once more. But the image that has been nagging me all day is that of Frodo and Sam lying on a boulder as lava flows about them. I believe that's going to stay with me for quite a while...

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #4
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, some of the best moments were (in no order except in which they come to my mind):<P>* The look on Sam's face after Frodo sends him away,<BR>* The Battle of Pelennor Fields<BR>* "Do you remember the taste of strawberries and cream?"<BR>* "I can see it with my waking eyes...", after "I am naked in the dark."<BR>* Merry and Pippin's separation when Gandalf rides with Pippin to Gondor<BR>* Aragorn's "I see in your eyes..." speech at the Morannon<BR>* "For Frodo!"<BR>* When Frodo claims the Ring for himself<BR>* "I can see the Shire!"<BR>* "If I had ever married anyone, it would've been her (Rosie)..." (That was a tad ad-libbed, but it's something along those lines)<BR>* Grey Havens<BR>* "Well, I'm back."<P>I know that's a lot, but I spent most of the time I watched the movie trying to get myself to breathe. There were whole scenes where I felt like my heart was being wrung like a wet towel, and I haven't listed all of them.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know that this may sound kind of cheesy, but I thought that anytime someone was in front of an army doing the little pep talk, it was extremely powerful. I especially loved the part where Rohan goes into battle because it was just so amazing. I was actually getting excited and nervious for all of them! I also thought that Aragorn's speech was amazing, and I thought that the cornation scene was powerful too. It just was such a cool scene because you got to see all of the characters and they are happy (well, everyone is happy except maybe Elrond).<P>I have so many others though, there is just too many to keep track of.<p>[ 12:52 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-19-2003, 01:39 AM   #6
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were so many amazing moments in RoTK that I probably won't remember them all but these are the ones which really got to me:<P>- Merry's face when Pippin leaves with Gandalf.<BR>- Gandalf talking to Pippin about death. Also this line, "Hope. There was never much hope. Only a fools hope." (not sure if thats completely correct...)<BR>- Faramir's suicidal mission to Osgiliath while Pippin is singing to Denethor.<BR>- Frodo and Sam talking about the Shire while surrounded by lava... "Here at the end of all things..." Gotta be one of the best lines taken directly from the book.<BR>- Aragorn's speech before the Gates of Mordor.<BR>- Frodo's farewell to Sam at the Grey Havens<BR>- The last line in the movie, "Well, I'm back..." Thats when I really started to bawl...
Old 12-19-2003, 05:50 AM   #7
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The one thing that made me cry like a baby was when Aragorn and all knelt down in front of the Hobbits. In the book, this is the thing that makes me cry (when he does it to Frodo and Sam on the field of Cormallen). But on film, it was even more stunning.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting

I cried hecka throughout the movie, one of the reason being that I know this is the end, but the movie also had some effects::<P>*When Pippin was sent to Minas Tirith, not knowing if he'll ever see Merry again<BR>*When Frodo sends Sam away<BR>*Pippin's song to Denethor<BR>*When King Theoden died (I cried when I read that part in the book as well)<BR>*The image of Aragorn and their son that Arwen sees<BR>*Gandalf talking to Pippin about life after death<BR>*After Aragorn was crowned, "My friends... You bow to no one"<BR>*Sam and Frodo reminiscenes at Mount Doom<BR>*Aragorn's speech in front of the Black Gate and "For Frodo" (OMG, I just wailed then)<BR>*Frodo waking up to see the Fellowship<BR>*Frodo writing in the book<BR>*Going to Grey Havens<BR>*"Well, I'm back"<P>...oh heck, I love the whole movie... okay, maybe except the overly gross scene when Smeagol turns into Gollum
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Everything above, minus the Frodo sending Sam away, and the Arwen hallucination.<BR>The most touching part was Aragorn's "You bow to no one." That was just too well done.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There were two moments that really just swept me away and made me want to cry.<P><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Frodo tells Sam to go home. I could have just killed Gollum for turning Frodo against poor Sam. The look on his face, it just broke my heart.<BR><LI>Sam and Frodo are sitting on the rock after the destruction of the ring, and Sam is talking about Rosie and how if ever he had gotten married, it would have been to her.<BR></UL><P>Of course both moments were about Sam, because Sam is entirely wonderful.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #11
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The whole movie was incredible. All of it. But the "You bow to no one" was amazing, as was the Grey Havens scene. Another one that really got me was when Frodo is in bed and the whole Fellowship (well, minus Boromir) is there. <P>Also, I had my 2 little happy moments with "Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!" and Aragorn singing "Et Eärello..." I had been so hopeful that they'd put the Quenya lines in there, and they did. I almost cried (but that applies for nearly every part of the movie because it was so well done).<P>Now I have to a)go see the movie again and b)wait for the extended edition.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
Beledir

Sting

This part isn't one of my favourite parts, its just stuck in my head. When the mutated general orc is talking to his troops, and he says "Release the Prisoners" with a sneer. I was wondering why they'd still be alive, and then they catapulted over all of there decapitated heads. I remember that in the book, and it was just horrible, remembering the words Tolkien used.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:59 PM   #13
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Silmaril

ALL of these struck my heart! Here`s my list of favorites:<BR> THE WHOLE MOVIE <BR>
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #14
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I loved loved the lighting of the beacons, knowing just how vital it was for them to burn. Seeing each burst into flame was like watching hope grow bigger and bigger as it traveled across Gondor and Rohan. What a lovely sequence, and I adore Howard Shore's soaring string music that accompanies the scene. Just magnificent.<P>"Don't let go, Mr. Frodo. Don't you dare let go!" was pretty darn good. Not in the book but pretty good.<P>"Go Home, Sam." Just tore my heart out. It still makes me tear up.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:52 PM   #15
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

It is hard for me to say what the most powerful, poignant moment was for me - there were so many and since I have only seen RoTK once - yes I said once I will have to search my memory for the moments that most touched and/or effected me:<P><LI>Frodo telling Sam to go home - wow my heart broke when Sam started to cry<LI>Minas Morgul as this part chilled me to the bone<LI>The Battle of the Pelennor Field<LI>Hearing Aragorn saying "For Frodo..." before they charged Sauron's forces at the Black Gate<LI>Mt. Doom - Especially when I thought Frodo may fall into the fire<LI>Seeing Sam holding Frodo after the Ring was destroyed and hearing Frodo say "I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam Gamgee."<LI>Seeing the Fellowship together again<LI>Hearing Aragorn say to the Hobbits "You bow to no one." and then seeing all the great peoples, including the new King of Gondor bow to them!<LI>Seeing a part of Sam and Rosie's wedding<LI>The Grey Havens - especially when Frodo kissed Sam's forehead<LI>Hearing Sam at the end say "Well, I'm back..."[/LIST]<P>I am sure there will be more moments I add later on after I have seen RoTK again!<p>[ 8:53 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 12-19-2003, 08:24 PM   #16
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Faramir saying "think better of me."<BR>Sam crying as Frodo leaves him.<BR>Pippin singing.<BR>Everyone realizing Frodo succeeded -- and then being terrified for him.<BR>The EAGLES.<BR>Frodo waking up to see Gandalf.<BR>Everyone kneeling to the hobbits.<P>-Lily
Old 12-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #17
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aye the pep-talks were the best of all of them. But the "you bow to no one" had my girlfriend going crazy.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:27 PM   #18
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved everything in the entire movie. If I had a boyfriend, I would have held his hand the entirew time, but I don't, so I practically broke my little brother's fingers. One of the parts that really caught me by surprise was when Denethor jumped. As he was running, I realized what was going on, and started whispering franticly to my brother "Dear sweet, holy Eru, he's gonna jump!"<P>Now the parts that affected me the most:<P>-Sam talking about Rosie on Mount Doom<BR>-Théoden's death -- that was when I started to sob <BR>-Arwen's vision<BR>-"This one's for the Shire. And this one's for Mr. Frodo. AND THIS ONE'S FOR MY OLD GAFFER!" Who couldn't love that line???<BR>-Aragorn's speech before the Morannon. That must be my favorite part in the whole movie.<P>I must see it again. My mom says we'll go after Christmas (she couldn't see it with us)
Old 12-19-2003, 10:59 PM   #19
Alucard

Sting

For me the "For Frodo!" bit was the single most powerful moment of the film. Watching Aragorn and the rest charge into a hopeless battle with so much courage and determination in their eyes was amazing.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:41 AM   #20
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This movie was just filled with great moments! I especially loved:<P> - After Aragorn was crowned, "My friends... You bow to no one" (I just love the look on their faces! And everyone on their knees! Loved it!!)<BR> - "Don't let go, Mr. Frodo. Don't you dare let go!" *Sniff* <BR> - After Pippin says "I never thought it would end like this" and then Gandalf goes into his little explanation. I kept thinking (when he was describing the other path) of the song 'Into the West'.<BR> - "For Frodo!"<BR> - After Gollum gets the ring and Frodo gets that look in his eyes and then goes and starts to attack Gollum<BR> - "I can't carry it for you, but I CAN carry you!" I was cheering Sam on (amidst my tears)<BR> - "This one's for the Shire. And this one's for Mr. Frodo. AND THIS ONE'S FOR MY OLD GAFFER!" I loved that! Go Sam!!!<BR> - Everyone realizing Frodo succeeded -- and then being terrified for him. (I loved the rapid changes of emotion on all the characters faces (esp. Gandalf's))<BR> - at the 'End of all Things'<BR> - When Frodo wakes up to the Fellowship (esp. that look he gives Sam!)<BR> - "Is there any hope Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?" "There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope"<P><BR>Well, that's my list.. for now! More to come!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:37 AM   #21
Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Pile O'Bones

Nienna, sister of Feanturi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nienna, sister of Feanturi Send a message via AIM to Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Sting

My favourite moments:<BR>Pippin's song, and Faramir's doomed charge<BR>The charge of the Rohirrim<BR>Moment where <I>both</I> Gollum and Frodo go over the edge of the Cracks Of Doom ( I nearly fell out of my chair)<BR>"Don't let go, don't you dare let go" (although for some wierd reason I started chanting "let go, let go"- perhaps Gollum posessed me for a moment.<BR>Merry's anger at Pippin " he thinks <I>you</I> have the Ring" and their parting.<BR>Pippin kneeling to Denethor<BR>Arwen turning her horse around<BR>Gollums face as he fell<BR>Shelob's lair (which really creeped me out)<BR>Eowyn holding the cup up to Aragorn.<BR>Faramirs' "think better of me"<BR>Frodo's "naked in the dark" speech( not even ruined by immature friend giggling "he said naked!")<BR>That horse being trodden on by an oliphaunt (did anyone else notice that?)<BR>Frodo telling Sam to go home<BR>Aragorn kneeling to Frodo- the happy faces of Pippin, Merry and Sam and the pain in Frodo's eyes...<BR>I could go on...but I'd probably better not.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #22
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some of my favorite moments from the return of the King are as follows:<P>1. When Sam kills the 3 orcs in the Tower and says: Thats for the Shire and that's for Mr. Frodo and that's for my old Gaffer!<P>2. At the Black Gate when Sauron is calling out to Aragorn and Aragorn turns around and says "For Frodo!" and charges<P>3. The entire battle of the Pelennor Fields.<P>4. When Sam says "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you."<P>5. When Frodo wakes up after destroying the Ring.<P>6. Aragorn's Crowning<P>7. The Grey Havens<P>8. When Sam goes home to the Shire.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #23
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Silmaril

The whole damn movie was great, but my favourite bit was:<P>When Elrond has given Aragorn the sword, he suddenly says "Onen i-Estel Edain" (I gave Hope to men), and Aragorn replies "U-chebin estel anim" (I kept no hope for myself). Hey, wow, I remembered it off by heart!<P>To most in the cinema, that was merely a sweet thing to say, but to me, and anyone else who loved the tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendices, would have recognised it as Gilraen (Aragorn's mother) 's last words to her son before she died. I thought it was so sweet, and I found it so sad that nobody else in the cinema knew the full significance of those words that I burst into tears.. <P>EDIT: Spelling...<p>[ 1:10 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Anything but Arwen ]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #24
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

You all pretty much covered everything, and I don't want to bore you by listing list of favorite parts in its entirety, but no one seems to have mentioned the look on Faramir's face and the entire scene of "think better of me, father." That definitely wins points for poignancy!<P>But of course, how could I forget the Beacons of Gondor sequence! I really thought that all the shots going through the mountains were really amazing and beautiful.<P>So many good parts...<p>[ 2:46 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Thulorongil ]
Old 12-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #25
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Sting

The Grey Havens... No contest. I was trying the whole scene not to openly sob. It was just so heart-wrenching and beautiful...<BR>Second would have to be the moment Gandlf and Pippin have when talking about death during the Battle of Pellennor... That really hit me. Just how deeply afraid Pippin was and the way Gandalf reassured him and the way he described death was very moving and also a very good way of incorporating the importance of the themes of death and the afterlife that were so integral to the books.<P>EDIT: Oh yes, I almost forgot... the Rohirrim screaming "DEATH!" was awesome- there was no hope and they still fought with everything they had and that scene displays those emotions perfectly...<p>[ 2:50 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Cinderella ]
Old 12-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

<I>"I never thought it would end like this." <P>"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. There's another path we all must take. The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to the silver clouds, and then you see it. ... White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." <BR></I><P>That was a really beautiful, comforting way of describing death. <P><I><BR>"Don't let go, Mr. Frodo. Don't you dare let go!" <P>"I can't carry it for you, but I CAN carry you!"</I> <P>I cried. It just symbolized how far Sam was willing to go to save Frodo and all of Middle-earth. Frodo definitely couldn't have done it without Sam.<P><I>"This one's for the Shire. And this one's for Mr. Frodo. AND THIS ONE'S FOR MY OLD GAFFER!"<BR></I><P>That line was 100% Samwise Gamgee, Hobbit of the Shire. No other line in <I>Fellowship of the Ring</I> or <I>The Two Towers</I> could represent Sam as this one did. It really showed what he was fighting for. I and the rest of the theater were yelling and cheering our lungs out after that line. <P>(In front of the Black Gate, Aragorn <BR><I><BR>"For Frodo."<BR></I><P>It was just magical, the way he smiled, softly said it, smiled again, and then turned and charged at the Orcs. Of course, what was also beautiful about that scene was that Merry and Pippin were the first ones to charge after Aragorn. *sniffle sniffle*<P><I>"Death! Death! Death!" </I><P>It was so chillingly heroic that shivers went up and down my spine.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #27
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was really moving when Aragorn told the hobbits "My friends! You bow to no one!" and everyone kneels to them. I almost shed some tears.
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #28
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Ride of the Rohirrim and Theoden's speech before it. Beautiful.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #29
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were so many powerful moments, and I felt myself on the verge of tears so many times (which may seem like an understatement to some, but I can honestly say that I have never cried at a movie.) Perhaps the moment wherein I felt Tolkien's writing shine through the most was Aragorn saying "You bow to no one," to the four hobbits. That was absolutely spectacular. <P>I could not have asked for more out of the entire Mount Doom scene. The acting on all counts was splendid, and certainly Frodo and Sam sitting on the rock was one of the most poignant scenes I have ever seen. Bravo, Peter Jackson!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #30
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Trying not to simly repeat stuff that has been said before I would like to add to the already mentioned strong scenes:<P>The ride of the Rohirrim was very strong, especially<BR>- when leaving Edoras<BR>- when rushing out of the encampment and<BR>- when they charge into the Pelennor field battle in one line. Every rider knows how much work such a line-up is!<P>Also, having only recently learned to blow a horn myself, I have to admit that its call is very chilling!<P>And as for the Hobbits:<P>Merry's "I don't know what´s going to happen.." when Pippin leaves is quite heart wrenching, as is<P>Frodo's returning memory of the sights, smell and voices of the Shire life.. and then the agony and peace at the same time on his face, when the Windlord carries him to safety.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #31
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I believe it's "silver <I>glass</I>", not silver clouds. McKellan didn't enunciate that part very well, despite those being some of the best lines in the movie.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:36 PM   #32
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Most powerful:<BR><I>Death! Death! Death!</I><P>Most touching:<BR>Sam's "I can carry you" speech.
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #33
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

All of Sam's scenes... pretty much.<BR>~When Frodo tells him to go home and he breaks down.<BR>~When he confronts Shelob<BR>~"Don't go where I can't follow."<BR>~"This is for Frodo, this is for the Shire, and this is for my old Gaffer!"<BR>~"I can't carry the ring, but I can carry you!"<BR>~"Don't you let go!"<BR>~"She's the one I would've married!"<BR>*sniff*<BR>I just love Samwise so much! So much!<P>The whole movie is very powerful for me... I can think of very few moments that aren't powerful.<BR>I love it when the tower collapses and you see Merry shouting, "Frodo!"<BR>The music to accompany the tower collapsing is so powerful, it just heightens that moment.<P>I also love it when Frodo mutters, "Sam" when he realizes what Gollum has done by sending him alone into Shelob's lair.<P>The beacons... it is rather powerful to follow the beacons across the mountains to Rohan.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:34 AM   #34
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Frodo's "naked in the dark" speech( not even ruined by immature friend giggling "he said naked!")<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I know what you mean! My husband was sniggering during the "I would've married Rosie" lines on the rock, and told me that Frodo's reactions looked like he wished Sam were marrying HIM! "What about me?" he intoned in an imitation of Frodo...oh well! Now I'll never get the image out of my head...but it did not ruin my enjoyment of "I'm glad you're here with me, Samwise Gamgee...here at the end of all things." Beautiful!<P>I'm not sure if anyone had this experience, but I just saw the movie for the second time and I got blindsided into crying at a part I never thought I would for a reason I could only realize in hindsight. When Arwen is revealed to Aragorn at his coronation, I looked into the eyes of Elrond next to her and could not stop crying--suddenly and unaccountably (completely unmoving and silently too, to the everlasting relief of the rest of the audience). Hugo Weaving's face spoke to the entire sadness of the Elvish race and it all hit me at once--the Long Defeat, the extinguishing of the evergreen realms of the Eldar, the echoes to the First and Second Ages, the valor in the dark dungeon of long dead Finrod Felagund, the journey into the uncertain Sea by Earendil, the beginning and the end of the Great Rings, all of it...seemed to come together in Elrond's face at that moment and it was too much! <P>I had to share that! Thanks for listening..uh, reading! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #35
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That was a really beautiful, comforting way of describing death. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm..I personally thought Gandalf was referring to The Undying Lands, West of the Sea...I may have been taking it too literally but I thought Gandalf was describing his own experiences and memories as his time as Olorin to Pippin, because if men can go the Halls of Mandos, WHY CANT HOBBITS?!?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #36
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf's line at the Havens (straight from the book of course): 'I will not say, Do not weep...'
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #37
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Another part that really touched me was Merry and Pippin crying, while the Dark Tower was falling. That shot of Pippin weeping in despair really touched me, because it symbolized the utter hopelessness of the Quest, to begin with.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:18 PM   #38
RRyan24

Ring

To be honest I actually cried at many, many parts in the movie. I started crying at the very beggining when Smeagol and Deagol were fighting and barely stopped through the rest of the movie! But I think the parts in which I not only had tears streaming down my face but I actually started to literally weep, were these scenes. <P>I never thought it would end like this." "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is a path we all must take. The gray rain curtain of this world rolls back, and it will change to the silver clouds, and then you see it. ... White shores and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."<P>Ooo, that one had me shivering.<P>"I can't carry it for you, but I CAN carry you!"<P>I was choking on my sobs at that point.<P>"RIDE NOW! RIDE TO RUIN -- AND THE WORLD'S ENDING!!"<P>"Don't let go, Mr. Frodo. Don't you dare let go!" <P>As well as the scene where Pippin sings his solo while Foromire rides his army to their death's. <P>"If ever I would have married anyone, it would've been her (Rosie)... It would've been her."<P>Oh man!!! I was weeping aloud! <P>The image of Aragorn and their son that Arwen sees<P>Too cute NOT to cry!<P>"'My friends, you bow to no one!'"<P>And at the end credits when they played the song 'Into the West'.<P>The entire movie had me crying! And when I went to see it a second time it STILL had me in weepy tears!<p>[ 10:20 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: RRyan24 ]
Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #39
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I forgot the beacons! That's an awesome scene.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:51 PM   #40
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

by far the most powerful moments where Faramir's suicide mission, when Strider says "for Frodo" and then the first to run after him is Merry and Pippin, and when Frodo says "the ring is mine" and smiles