The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #681
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I happily assign my mother. I love my mother. A lot. Because she very intentionally started pulling food out of the grocery bags. The first thing was a half pound of turkey. Eew, dead bird. The second was a half pound of roast beef. Eew, dead mammal. And then... and then...

Whole wheat wraps, hummus, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and bean sprouts! Mmm... *drool*

I also assign finding and purchasing cheap plane tickets (yay!) and the word 'Reykjavik' at 2:30 AM.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 06-24-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:45 AM   #682
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Sleep! It's a wonderful thing.

Also, finding the copy of the statement your teachers sent to universities about you and reading it for the first time in months. After the trials of Wednesday it was a lovely boost of confidence.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #683
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
you watch a play with the sea as a backdrop and the stars as lighting.

No I haven't been ... Apart from a flying visit, I haven't been to Cornwall since childhood when the Poldark mine and the Seal sanctuary were the order of the day. This place can join Heligan and the Eden project on my "to do" list for the visit I have been promising myself for years....

It sounds like it belongs a bit west of the shire and forms part of Mithlond's leisure facilities...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #684
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
you watch a play with the sea as a backdrop and the stars as lighting.

No I haven't been ... Apart from a flying visit, I haven't been to Cornwall since childhood when the Poldark mine and the Seal sanctuary were the order of the day. This place can join Heligan and the Eden project on my "to do" list for the visit I have been promising myself for years....

It sounds like it belongs a bit west of the shire and forms part of Mithlond's leisure facilities...
Much of Cornwall belongs West of The Shire. I've not been for 16 years (long drive from oop North), but there are so many truly magical places like St Michael's Mount, the fairy palace which rises from a tiny island in the blue waters of Mounts Bay; they even have the grave of a Giant's heart on there. Then there are fogous, stone circles and iron age villages. Tintagel. The Goonhilly Downs. Godrevy Lighthouse. And the mystery of Land's End, the last bit of England.

Not quite in The Shire, but not in Valinor either. Maybe in the environs of The Grey Havens?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #685
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Returning from an exam you know you passed, even though you answered question 9a (name the three most common types of ordeals mentioned in early Irish law) with:

Quote:
*A duel. God would aid the hand of the truthful one.
*A physical ordeal i.e. putting your hand in a cauldron filled with boiling water without getting hurt.

Um, um

*A psychological ordeal i.e. being forced to watch Free Willy I, II & III in rapid succession.
(I found out that the correct answer should be casting lots, but I personally like my suggestion better).
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #686
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Football!

It gives us an excuse to eat, drink cold beer in front of televisons. Rant, rave, cuss, curse and cry. And give gifts to each other (Opps! That's Christmas at our house )
________
Vaporite the solo review

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #687
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the city of Oxford. So nuzzletastically good. History all around you. Wonderful lawns. Colleges everywhere. The libraries!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #688
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I assign the city of Oxford. So nuzzletastically good. History all around you. Wonderful lawns. Colleges everywhere. The libraries!

Ooh yes ... And the Bodleian with it's wonderfully absurd requirement that you solemnly promise not to burn the place down in order to get your ticket (which seems to fit in with the strange requirements of Hobbit wills).... it was very hard not to laugh as I recited:

"I hereby undertake .... not to bring into the Library, or kindle therein, any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the Library; and I promise to obey all rules of the Library."

I mean, the thought had never occurred until they suggested it. Then I felt sympathy with the girl who said that the 10 Commandments were unfair because they just put ideas in your head.... I hardly used my card lest I be seized by an uncontrollable urge to hold a fondue party in the Radcliffe Camera...

I also love the fact that the Cathedral resolutely runs on Oxford time not London time. As I am perpetually five minutes late, this suited me perfectly and meant I didn't have to sneak in during the processional.... The Shire keeps its own reckoning so I am sure they would approve - though maybe not of all the related book learning....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #689
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Having spent a day with friends who you haven't seen all together at once in a long time, and realising with some sadness that this summer will probably be the last time the friendship you have now will ever be experienced, and being determined to make the most of it.

Last edited by Kath; 06-29-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #690
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign post-work dinner at midnight that involves grapes, chai, and the following directly quoted advice for curing hiccups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my little brother via AIM
punch yourself in the right temple while reciting the pledge of allegeance. it helps. you know youre cured when you loose consiousness right around "under god"
Old 07-01-2006, 03:21 AM   #691
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the invention of new words to the Shire.
We should start a Barrow-Downs Lexicon. (sorry that was a little off topic...)
________
CHEAP UTG DELUXE TACTICAL HOLSTER LEFT HANDED

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #692
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Discovering that the fireworks you thought you would miss due to a lack of a ride have been rescheduled due to severe thunderstorms. Now maybe I'll be able to go after all!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #693
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Decisiveness - I'm not used to it!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #694
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Really big thunderstorms. We haven't had one in ages and just had two in quick succession and its brewing up for a third.

And froggies. I just went out when the rain eased from torrential to merely heavy to assess the garden damage (it is extensive ) and found this big frog sitting right by the doorstep. I had to chase him off under the comfrey so he would be safe, and would find those pesky snails to eat.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #695
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thumbs up Probably the best consert of my life

Roger Waters. . .

He Rocks ! ! !

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #696
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
And froggies.
Yes! Froggies! How could they not have been assigned before?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #697
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I'll third the froggie assignation, I love them

For myself I'll assign spending one whole day with your family just generally being together, and then the next day with all your friends having a whale of a time.

Also the pride I feel over my new phone because I've managed to figure out how it works all by myself!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #698
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Roger Waters. . .

He Rocks ! ! !
I second that assignation and I assign Pink Floyd too... they can't be mad at each other if they are in The Shire!!!

Then I assign Rune and myself to watch them play.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #699
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Getting off work early when you didn't expect it.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #700
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My friends. Occasionally they drive me mad with all the drama, but they're some of the most caring, thoughtful, and fun people in the world.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #701
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Painting. Though if I had any canvases, I'd be having at it with them, painting furniture is a very fun alternative. Especially when I have every inclination to turn each piece into something ultra original and fun.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #702
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Hurrah for reconciliation!

When after you and a friend go through a rough patch, everything's cool again and you remember why you were such great friends in the first place.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #703
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Amazing people that make life seem so much more... possible. Hearing somebody that understands me perfectly say "Love, you have options." in a tone that implies that if anybody tells me that I don't have options, she will, all 4'11" of her, get in their faces, tell them where they can stick those options that they think I can't have, and then give me some at her and their expense.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #704
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign.....Summer Laziness.......enough said.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #705
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Relationships that are not restored to normal, but renewed.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:39 PM   #706
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

This wouldn't count as double-posting, would it?

I assign meeting with your bestest best friend after a month of not seeing and barely communicating with each other, picking up where you left off, and finding out that you can still finish each other's sentences.

And, of course, the fact that having no Bio lab class at that time made it possible.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #707
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Very amusing webcomics.

Beading. My mom and I finally got our bead collection organized (some of the beads date back to when she was in high school) and I've made a lot of wire and bead jewelry in the last few days. What fun!

Going to my first baseball game of the season. It makes me feel like summer's finally started. Ditto for my first time at the pool this year.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 07-12-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: First parallelism, then a typo
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:58 AM   #708
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Being perfectly happy with a purchase.

The things one gets to do and not to do when classes are suspended.

Rainy, windy days spent at home.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #709
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

People that like me. *looks bemused*

And piracy. Gar.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #710
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Frida Kahlo, that great lady of art has taught me so much.

~ Aesthete
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #711
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Frida Kahlo had issues. Her stuff can get very very disturbing. Like Hieronymus Bosch (sp? Attack me with your trout, Rimbaud, I dare you!) disturbing.

Anyway...nice friendly helpful insurance people. My car got damaged in a parking lot the other day and my insurance company just rocks. That's the one thing about auto insurance: since you buy it on your own, and can shop around, they actually have to earn your business.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #712
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Frida Kahlo had issues. Her stuff can get very very disturbing...

Anyway...nice friendly helpful insurance people.
Arrrgh! Jenny! Your priorities on comparative scariness are horribly twisted!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #713
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Friendly old men that calmly inform you what the meaning of life is while you're at work.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #714
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Word games. Who would have thought trying to get as many words as possible from the word 'chocolately' could be so fun?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #715
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
The girl you are dating being back from Europe and getting presents too!!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #716
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

When it rains and you can smell the ocean. Definitely Shire-worthy; the Havens weren't too far away.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:11 PM   #717
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Like Hieronymus Bosch
Mr. Bosch was a drunk, religious zealot... But he is also the father of modern fantasy art, and we owe much to him. ... And yes, his works too are on my wall at home.

Miss Khalo broke open the doors of the highly gender segregated doors of modern art (in her era), gave a new meaning to being truly one's own person, and blossomed the surrealist movement. So there was issues, really, everyone has them. ...And you would too if you had 32 surgeries within your lifetime and doctors made you take morphine to help you forget the pain...

~ Aesthete
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #718
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Hopefully I'll be one of those 'nice friendly helpful insurance people' types, Jenny!

I assign rainy Saturday mornings. For one it waters my garden (any hopefully the state's dams). It also makes the house seem cosier. :3

It's very comforting locking yourself in the house and hiding after a long, LONG week in the bustling city.

- Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #719
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

A sunny day at Lord's, watching the cricket with good company and a couple of bottles of wine.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #720
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien Florida! And Tolkien! And Lewis!

Summer camp. I'm having an absolutely wonderful time, even with the heat. Plus, the classes are really fun and the people are extremely nice.