The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Question Sauron - Physical form in The War of the Ring or not?

I am really confused.. I have always had the idea that Sauron didn´t have physical form in the war of the ring. Then, when I paid attention when reading FOTR (for the 8th time..) I read Gandalf saying something at the Council of Elrond, which really makes me wonder. He tells about when he many years ago went to Dôl Guldur and the Necromancer´s house, to "spy on the enemy". ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) He saw that it was no other than Sauron himself that had taken shape and regained power. (I don´t know the quote, only have the Swedish version). Now, did Sauron have physical form or not? I had the idea that he didn´t, that he couldn´t take shape again after losing the Ring. Have I got it all wrong?
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

I always thought that it meant that Sauron's spirit had returned to North-western Middle-earth and it was mustering the Orcs and the Nazgûl. Remember, the Maia spirits, after "death", wandered Arda before regaining physical form (Saruman, Gandalf, and Sauron). The Shadow had fallen over Dol Guldur and Mordor again, meaning that Sauron had returned. There was a quote somewhere (I think in Unfinished Tales) that Sauron's power had been tied to the Ring, and that without it could only be a shadow (meaning "shade", perhaps) of his former self.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought that the reason Sauron was known as the Necromancer was that he created many bodies for himself after he was killed. Well, three. The first being Gortuar the cruel and Annatar (i dont know if either of those are remotly near to the real spellings). The second being Suaron the Terrible, his War-form that he marched to the Last Alliance with. And the final being the Eye that he had become. Also Gandalf says "there are only 9 fingers on the Dark Hand". I dont know if this is merely metaphorical or literal, but if Sauron did not have a form how could he wear the ring? Finally Gandalf also says "if the ring is destroyed Sauron will never again take form" suggesting that he can take form as long as it still exists.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Here.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:00 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

According to Saruman from the movie, no, Sauron was NOT in physical form.Talking to Gandalf at Isengard, he says "Sauron has recovered much of his strength. He cannot yet take physical form, but his eye is ever watchful." (Or something really close to that)

Sauron perished when the hosts of the Valinor interveaned, and the land sunk. According to The Silmarillion, his body perished, but his spirit rose, and he went into hiding, and later, he forged the Rings. He was slain again (I'm supposing he regained physical form somehow, but I don't think Tolkien told us how) by Isildor in the Last Alliance, but as his spirit was tied to the Ring (as Gandalf said in the movie) he was not entirely vanquished.

He was utterly, though, in the end. (Oops, I think I just gave the end away!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:04 PM   #6
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, we can't really trust the movie that much. I think he had a body, he was the necromancer for many centuries before entering Mordor again and claiming himself openly. Hard to do if you're not in shape, so to say.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:32 PM   #7
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've always felt that Sauron did have a physical form in LOTR, but that the eye was just a visual manifestation of his will, able to be seen by those with sufficient power, or wearers of a ring of power.
Gollum, the only character we meet who has actually been inside Barad-dur states to Frodo at one point that 'Yes he has only nine fingers on the black hand, but they are enough.' Add this to the 'taking shape again' comments and it makes some sense.
I think the Eye in the movie has misled a lot of people into thinking that that is all Sauron is, it's such apowerful image and works well on screen, but in the end it is a cinematic trick to focus us on Sauron as the 'baddie' when he is never really seen.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 04:37 PM   #8
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Did any of you click on the link I provided? Are any of you truly interested in finding the answers to your Middle-earth questions? This question, like the question of the greatest of the Eldar, is not a matter of opinion or interpretation. Sauron did have a physical body during the War of the Ring. Yet I'm sure someone will follow up with their reasons for believing that Sauron was just a huge flaming eyeball who floated around and barked orders. "DUDE, I SAW THE MOVIE AND SAURON IS AN EYEBALL."
Old 07-29-2002, 10:52 AM   #9
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Sauron has form. Aside from the earlier references, I can think of two more that would imply this.
1. When Frodo is captured, the orcs are supposed to waith until 'either himself or one of his messengers comes' which implies that sauron has form/body.
2. When Pippen stares into the Palanir it certainly gave me the impression of Sauron having a body, however, I can't think of any direct quotes off the top of my head.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #10
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Quote:
According to Saruman from the movie,...
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The movie is hollywood, stick to Tolkien.

As far as Sauron's physical form is concerned, yes he had a "humanoid" form during the War of the Ring, but there possible is more to this than just a form. Sauron was still incredibly powerful, far more powerful than any who lived in Middle Earth at that time. Now of course it is stated that he could not take another form of fair rament, but does Tolkien state specifically that he could not take form at all? For all we know, Sauron could simply remain in whatever form he wished, so long as it was hideous and foul.

With the power he still possessed, Sauron could appear in many ways depending on the situation. I believe someone said that the Eye could merely be the form of his presence, more psychological than physical. The most effective symbol of untiring watch and searching for a ring would be a lidless eye, no? When the bearer wore the ring, he felt the presence of Sauron, not necessarily seeing his actual form.

I believe the path rounding Orodruin was still used, or could be used by Sauron, or else it would have fallen into ruin long ago. But Frodo and Sam made their way around farely easily considering. This would indicate that Sauron had form, a form he could walk in, and that he indeed had the opportunity to use it.

That link was quite useful in creating my response, obloquy. Thank you very much.
Orofacion of the Vanyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:53 PM   #11
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Sauron was still incredibly powerful, far more powerful than any who lived in Middle Earth at that time.
Besides Gandalf. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2002, 02:08 PM   #12
O'Boile
Wight

Sting

obloquy, gandalf was not as powerful as Sauron. Hence the reason he doesn't look in the palantir. Hence there reason he says 'I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White, but black is stronger still'.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:57 PM   #13
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

You quote Gandalf out of context. "Black" wasn't a reference to Sauron personally, it just meant "the bad guys."

How does Gandalf's refusal to use the Palantir indicate that he was less powerful than Sauron?

Gandalf observed certain rules that limited the power he could display in Middle-earth. I'll grant that he was not more powerful than Sauron, but according to Unfinished Tales Gandalf's spirit was equal to Sauron's in its beginning:

Quote:
To the overthrow of Morgoth he sent his herald Eönwë. To the defeat of Sauron would he not then send some lesser [than Eönwë] (but mighty) spirit of the angelic people, one coëval and equal, doubtless, with Sauron in their beginnings, but not more? Olórin was his name. But of Olórin we shall never know more than he revealed in Gandalf.
But your position is understandable. Gandalf himself downplayed his own power, even declaring Saruman to be the greatest of the Istari. In any case, Sauron could not be considered "far more powerful" than Gandalf.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:15 PM   #14
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

Quote:
Gandalf observed certain rules that limited the power he could display in Middle-earth.
Observed or was forced to abide by these rules. The Istari are Maiar in human forms, and therefore were lessened in their power. Don't you think Saruman would have used his real power if he could? I believe they had no choice in the matter.

In the form he was in, Sauron was the strongest at that time. It's not just a matter of one being's sole power, but his influence as well. Sauron had in his possession the nine, which Gandalf had a time dealing with just the Witch-King, spies, orcs, Uruk-hai, Oliphants, Black Numenoreans and Haradrim to name a few. It's not just the one being that is powerful, but all under his control.

Gandalf was one being who controlled no one openly. His influence was great yes, but his sheer power was not equal to Sauron's.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:45 PM   #15
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Pages 920-921 of the Second Edition Hardcover

Key Words: "Window of the Eye", "the Eye", etc.
In the final chapters of the Quest, Sauron is repeatedly referred to as "the Eye", not "the Eye" being used in reference to Sauron.

Key paragraph: "One moment only [Barad-dûr] stared out, but as from some great window immeasurably high there stabed northward a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye; and then the shadows were furled again and the terible vision was removed. The Eye was not turned to them: it was gazing north to where the Captains of the West stood at bay, and thither all its malice was now bent, as the Power moved to strike its lethal blow; but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally. His hand sought the chain around his neck.

This not only suggests, but proves that Sauron was, in fact, the Eye, and not a humanoid form. As much as I hate that idea, this is irrevocable evidence (unlike that stupid "winged Balrog" thing). Don't even start with that "it was only a simile" crap, Frodo saw the Eye. (And no, there was no "like" or "as" in the paragraph).

Sauron's Road was obviously built for him in the Second Age, so he could travel to Orodruin from Barad-dûr easily (like, to forge the Ring).
Old 07-29-2002, 04:52 PM   #16
Fingolfin of the Noldor
Haunting Spirit

Fingolfin of the Noldor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
This not only suggests, but proves that Sauron was, in fact, the Eye, and not a humanoid form.
Have you read any of the quotes above or in the other threads. Tolkien in his letters not only affirms the fact Sauron had incarnate form during the WR he actually describes it. Sauron did have humanoid form. That is unless you would like to argue with Tolkien [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You saw the Eye of him that holds the Seven and the Nine. -Galadriel

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]
Old 07-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #17
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Observed or was forced to abide by these rules.
Observed. Gandalf could have turned his back on these rules, as Saruman did. He instead made himself wholly subject to them, and it was only because of this that his mission succeeded.

Quote:
Don't you think Saruman would have used his real power if he could?
I think Saruman did use his real power. This is why he seemed so much stronger than Gandalf before Gandalf's return as the White. If the Istari actually had a certain measure of their power taken away from them by the Valar, why would Saruman be allowed more than Gandalf? What would be the purpose of an actual power handicap? What more would Saruman have had to do for you to say, Hey, I think he just broke one of the rules of the Istari! I think the limits on their power were just these:
Quote:
whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty, or to seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power, but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.
I don't believe that their spiritual potency was restricted, but that they were limited in the ways they could openly use that potency. Saruman did 'reveal himself in a form of majesty', and he did 'seek to rule the wills of Men and Elves by open display of power'. Saruman broke the rules, and thus appeared more powerful through the same means that Sauron did -- in armies and domination.

Check this out from Letters:
Quote:
For in his condition it was for him a sacrifice to perish on the Bridge in defence of his companions, less perhaps than for a mortal Man or Hobbit, since he had a far greater inner power than they; but also more, since it was a humbling and abnegation of himself in conformity to 'the Rules': for all he could know at that moment he was the only person who could direct the resistance to Sauron successfully, and all his mission was vain. He was handing over to the Authority that ordained the Rules, and giving up personal hope of success.
Pretty groovy, eh?

Gandalf, though greater in original spirit, submitted to Saruman's authority as the head of the order because that was how it was set up. He was humble, and in this lies the very key to his success. Here is more of my argument for Gandalf > Saruman. In addition to that, if we accept the quote I provided from Unfinished Tales about Gandalf and Sauron being equal in their beginnings; and we accept this quote, also from UT:
Quote:
And Curunír 'Lân, Saruman the White, fell from his high errand, and becoming proud and impatient and enamoured of power sought to have his own will by force, and to oust Sauron; but he was ensnared by that dark spirit, mightier than he.
...then it is only logical for us to consider Gandalf mightier than Saruman.

Quote:
In the form he was in, Sauron was the strongest at that time. It's not just a matter of one being's sole power, but his influence as well...It's not just the one being that is powerful, but all under his control.
I can agree that Sauron's "team" was stronger than Gandalf's. That's exactly what Gandalf meant when he said what O'Boile quoted.

Quote:
His influence was great yes, but his sheer power was not equal to Sauron's.
You're right that Sauron, with the resources he commanded, was capable of more action -- be it mobilizing armies, destroying villages, besieging cities -- in Middle-earth than Gandalf. But the being that was Sauron and the being that was Gandalf, in their beginnings, had equally potent spirits.

They were different beings, though. The bad guys are usually "more powerful" than the good guys because they are willing to do anything to achieve their ends, and are not inhibited by morals, honesty, or compassion. Gandalf was a very meek spirit, and even expressed to Manwe a fear of Sauron. Manwe was confident in Gandalf, though, because of that humility.

Edit: Please put replies to this post in this thread: The Powers of the Istari.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: obloquy ]
Old 07-29-2002, 10:46 PM   #18
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

Quote:
whereas now their emissaries were forbidden to reveal themselves in forms of majesty,...but coming in shapes weak and humble were bidden to advise and persuade Men and Elves to good, and to seek to unite in love and understanding all those whom Sauron, should he come again, would endeavour to dominate and corrupt.
This seems to tell me that they were infact restricted in the use of their powers as Maia. I suppose it depends on personal interpretation.

Quote:
Saruman broke the rules, and thus appeared more powerful through the same means that Sauron did -- in armies and domination.
But is her more powerful then Sauron himself. My statment regarding the overall power was bi-fold. If Saruman was infact using his full Maia power, which I assume is what you are saying, then wound't he just go up and match Sauron Maia for Maia, instead of devising armies and adamantly searching for the ring?

Think about it, wouldn't it be the best course of action to remove your closest competitor if you have the chance, if Saruman was more powerful than Sauron at this time, then why didn't he do so.

Quote:
but he was ensnared by that dark spirit, mightier than he.
I'm not sure of you're reasoning after you stated this but to me, that says that Sauron was obviously more powerful than Saruman. Sauron was the representation of the darkness of Middle Earth at this time, so it would only be logical to consider him in referencing this quote.

Quote:
But the being that was Sauron and the being that was Gandalf, in their beginnings, had equally potent spirits.
Of course in the beginning they were equal, but that changed. Sauron's attachment to Melkor strengthend his sheer physical power obviously. But we are talking about their power during the time of the War of the Ring. Gandalf the White was still a Maia in a human shell, so that would limit his power logically.

Quote:
They were different beings, though. The bad guys are usually "more powerful" than the good guys because they are willing to do anything to achieve their ends, and are not inhibited by morals, honesty, or compassion. Gandalf was a very meek spirit, and even expressed to Manwe a fear of Sauron. Manwe was confident in Gandalf, though, because of that humility.
So what exactly are we debating? The definition of power? If so that is a matter of personal interpretation once again. I am referring to actual physical power as a whole.

(OOC: I will post this here as well as the thread previously given to save a "trip" for readers.)
Old 08-02-2002, 03:36 PM   #19
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe this quote from Letter No. 246 should clear up any confusion about Sauron taking physical form during the War of the Ring. Note the bold text. Sauron did take to a physical form.

Quote:
In his actual presence none but very few of equal stature could have hoped to withhold it from him. Of 'mortals' no one, not even Aragorn. In the contest with the Palantír Aragorn was the rightful owner. Also the contest took place at a distance, and in a tale which allows the incarnation of great spirits in a physical and destructible form their power must be far greater when actually physically present. Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:49 PM   #20
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yep, that clears everything up. Now I don´t have to be confused anymore, and have already changed my "view" (thought he didn´t have physical form).. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Thanx a lot everyone! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 07:16 PM   #21
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron in my opinion did take a physical form becuase of one of the quotes from gollumn saying that Sauron only had 4 fingers on one of his hands. And if he had a hands then he must have had a body.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #22
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're right, Aule. And then there is also the explicit quote that Legalos posted two days ago. You really don't need to call it an opinion, though.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:26 AM   #23
BelegCurumo

The Eye

ok, first...Eärendil, great name and character. and 2nd, Sauron did have a physical form, before and after the ring. it is like Morgoth changing form in order to fit his liking (ex. becoming a dark knight (or whatever u wanna call it) when dealing with Ungoliant); thus Sauron could also take shape, or form (ex. wolf Sauron, mouth of Sauron, and the eye of Sauron). when in battle during the last alliance, he would take shape like the 'black knight' that Morgoth had once taken. but after the one ring had been cut off, Sauron only had "4 fingers on the black hand". but, when needing enough power to take physical shape again, he said that 9 fingers were not enough, and that he wanted all 10 (thus implies that he really really really wanted his ring finger back). but, he never fully regained physical form...i think, lol...because the ring was destroyed before he could finish...
Old 08-05-2002, 12:42 PM   #24
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
but, when needing enough power to take physical shape again, he said that 9 fingers were not enough, and that he wanted all 10
What?
Old 08-06-2002, 08:21 AM   #25
O'Boile
Wight

Sting

I think Gollum says that 'he only has nine fingers, but they are enough.'
Old 12-29-2003, 06:16 PM   #26
Em
Pile O'Bones

Em has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

As far as i know, when sauron had the ring (and his finger) cut off he was reduced to a 'fiery spirit form, and a great, ever-seeking Lidless eye'.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:39 PM   #27
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yes, but Sauron had plenty of time to regain much of his old strength, and "rebuild" himself a body.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #28
Em
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

Good point.
In appenix A in the return of the king, it says 'they believed that saurond had perished, but it was not so. Sauron was indeed caught in the wreck of Numenor, so that the bodily form in which he long had walked perished; but he fled back to middle-earth, a sprirt of hatred borne upon a dark wind. He was unable ever again to assume a form that seemed fair to men, but became black and hideous, and his power thereafter was though terror alone.'
I remember hearing that someone advised Tolkien not to have a bad guy whom you hardly ever see, but, being the rebel that he was, Tolkien did. and i think that it worked really well. i mean, if you saw sauron 'in the flesh' as it were, then i think it would diminish alot of his power, but to have him as an, ever-seeking, can-see-through-everything eye!!! i think works really well.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #29
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

aaahh someone finally brought up the gollum reference which, to me, seems to clear it up..

I always imagined that after the wreck of Numenor, Sauron at best could only assume a physical form that was totally evil and un-beautifull. After the destrustion of the ring i feel that any physical embodiment would come across as "wraith like", physical yes - but a non factor (unless your poor old gollum strapped up to a torture device). The eye was by that time his only "tool" in the physical world. Metaphysically though, he was still the most powerfull (yet evil) shizznit in ME.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:45 AM   #30
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think what Em is referring to above (unfortunately without a reference) is the following:
"and Isildur Elendil’s son cut the Ring from Sauron’s hand and took it for his own. Then Sauron was vanquished and his spirit fled and was hidden for long years, until his shadow took shape again in Mirkwood." (LR I,ii)
Of course this doesn't say anything about an eye. It is an imaginable, but unfortunately incorrect assumption that at the time of the Ring War Sauron had still not regained a proper physical form. The Eye assumption, however, is far worse.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 AM   #31
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Eye isn't that simple: Frodo sees one, like a red star, in Rivendell; he sees somehting like one in Cirith Ungol (certainly not Sauron, as his atention is said by the Orks there to be wholly on the Gondor front of the War, not at home) , and of course in Barad-dur there's the same flame and presence.
On Amon Hen in fact his gaze is descirbed as a finger. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And then the Captains of the West refer to keeping his Eye fixed on them; obviously not in a literal sense, as ther wasn't a huge Eye at the Black Gates. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sauron is a Maia...his powers are vast. Gollum clearly states that one of his hands is missing a finger (the one Isildur cut off...when a Maia rebuilds their form they can't get rid of injuries (for instance, when wounded Wolf Sauron changes shapes a few times, the final Vampire form still has bleeding neck wounds) ) , and the above Legolas quote from Tolkien proves firther that he had a physical form, like a large (not gigantic) man.

But what about the Eye? Well, like I said, Sauron's powers are vast. It's my opinion that the Eye was a "manifestation," for alck of a better word here, (not incarnate) of his Will, of the Ever-Present searching malice of Saruon, sometimes shown, as in Rivendell, as an omnipresent threat, soemtimes, as in Amon Hen, as where he's actually desperately concentrating.

So in short, I think that's what the eye is, as opposed to a body for Sauron.

As Em said, this omni-present evil will works wonders as a villain. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:47 AM   #32
Em
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

in the silmarillion, without me thouroughly looking through it, all it says is that either he was a shadow, a sorcerer or that he had 'taken shape'. thats all i can find.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:57 PM   #33
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think what we need to realize is that Sauron could have still had a flaming eye (or even two flaming eyes), but still have had a body. Just because Frodo sees a flaming eye looking at him, doesn't necessarily mean that is all Sauron is. If Sauron was using his eye(s) to look for the Ring, wouldn't it make sense that the Ringbearer would only see the part that was actively searching for him (the eye)?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #34
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to propose a theory to the court of the Barrow Downs: Sauron was never physically manifest solely as a flaming eye, nor was a flaming eye ever physically manifest whose powers were derived from Sauron.

There is really not enough evidence to prove an antithesis to the above statement, as you suggested, Manwe Sulimo, with the following quote:

Quote:
One moment only [Barad-dûr] stared out, but as from some great window immeasurably high there stabed northward a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye; and then the shadows were furled again and the terrible vision was removed. The Eye was not turned to them: it was gazing north to where the Captains of the West stood at bay, and thither all its malice was now bent, as the Power moved to strike its lethal blow; but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally. His hand sought the chain around his neck.
However, let me read you another quote from Return of the King, from the "Mount Doom" chapter as well:

Quote:
"I am naked in the dark, Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades."--Frodo
Frodo "sees," "with [his] waking eyes," a "wheel of fire," when in fact there is no reason to believe that such a wheel exists or that Frodo is actually seeing an actual physical image. This does not prove that what Frodo "saw" of the Eye in Barad-dur was only a phantom vision, but it does lend credit to the theory that what Frodo saw was a metaphorical piercing eye, not a real one. The passage, after all, only mentions that Frodo, the Ring-bearer whose burden fills his mind with images of the works of Sauron, saw the Eye, not Sam or anyone else. The former passage that Manwe provided, therefore, does not conclusively prove anything.

Tolkien uses many metaphors throughout the book, such as Gandalf's describing the reach of Sauron's arm as a figurative assessment of the Dark Lord's power, and he also describes the Witch King of Angmar as a claw on the hand of Sauron. The Eye may well be another metaphorical image, although, granted, the motif of the Eye of Sauron is more prevalent then are the aforementioned examples.

Since there are no definite facts to prove that Sauron was simply a large eye at the time of the War of the Ring, and since Tolkien himself ascribed to Sauron a physical form at that time in one of his other writings, I think it can probably be assumed that Sauron did have humanoid form. I do not wish to say that Sauron was, without a doubt, not a flaming Eye, but I personally think that the description has been taken too literally.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #35
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The flaming eye was literal enough for Saurons minions that they emblazoned their gear with it... im sure the big S sanctioned that artwork.. was it an actual eyeball atop of Barad Dur, or was it a magnificent Maian orb of evil-ness? Either way it was Sauron's tool of observation.

And then there is the Necromancer. Physical enough eh? I know there was never an actual physical description of the Necromancer, but all accounts of him speaks of a physical individual, eh?
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #36
Em
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

I think that sauron did have some form of physical shape, and that he was not just a flaming eye. but what an eye! when peolpe talk about sauron and his eye, that brings enough terror into their hearts, so imagine how terrifying it would be to see him as a whole!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #37
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

I have never understood this "Sauron as a flaming eyeball" thing. Maybe it is the films.

When I first read the book, it seemed pretty clear to me that the red eye was symbolic (in the sense of being borne by the Orcs of Morgul) and figurative (in the references to Frodo seeing the eye and to the eye being on one particular place or another).

I always imagined Sauron simply as a dark presence in Barad-Dur, all the more terrifying for the fact that he is never actually described in person. I had no real conception of whether he was a physical being or not, although earlier posts here clearly prove that he was. The idea of a dark, brooding presence was enough for me.

But physically manifested in the shape of a flaiming eyeball? Give me a break! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 07:44 AM   #38
Em
Pile O'Bones

I think i may be able to explain the eye problem: in the book 'the magical worlds of tlotr' there is a chapter called 'why might sauron appear as a single eye' so follows some extracts from that chapter:
'Although there are few references in tlotr to Sauron having a body (less the finger that was cut off), he generally appears in the form of one all-seeing eye. Frodo sees the eye in the mirror of Galdriel, and it scares him so much he can't move or speak. He sees it again when he puts on the ring to escape from Borormir, sensing that it is looking at him.Orcs at the dark tower use a red eye as their mark, and to refer to Sauron as the great eye. Bilbo compalins that the Ring, which contains Saurons spirit, "was like an eye lokking at me".
Legends are fullof one eyed Gods and demons. Often these one-eyed Gods are able to see all.You can't keep a secret from them, in the same way you can't avoid the suns glare. One of the gods played an important role in shaping Saurons character.Odin. He was the early source of a necromancer in the hobbit, who eventually grew into the Dark Lord of lotr.'
So you see, i think that Tolkien based Sauron on Odin. The one-eyed God, who sees all.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #39
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Odin? No way! Entirely different! Odin gave up an eye to gain Wisdom, and his personality was the opposite of Sauron! One-eyed Balor, if anyone, whose gaze killed all it saw, but even that's a "no" in my books.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:24 AM   #40
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree. I see no kind of connection other than the "eye."