Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #41
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Alcarillo, is Garwine going to take part in the story?
Nyah, I don't think so. I really see no reason for him to. We already have the king's/queen's men, who are undoubtedly much more experienced than Garwine. So I think I'll let Garwine stay at the mead hall to guard the place while the eorl and the steward are away.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #42
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
issues to resolve....

Is it possible to make the Manawyth story a subplot in the Abduction story so that we can move ahead the amount of time I'd like with the mead hall thread? Because Manawyth's criminal case will come before Eodwine on the very next day without a doubt. I'll have to check on that....

And another thing. Since Lothiriel comes to the mead hall with the abductor's letter in hand, which starts the sub-plot on the new thread, then I'll have to transfer Saeryn's curiosity over Eodwine's dream, and his eventual telling of that dream, to the Abduction story-line as well.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #43
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Check the dream storyline over with Fea to make sure she's ok on time, or thinks Saeryn would still be curious with all that's going on. And I'm ok with the thief line here if Ang is, and if it is not too distracting from the main story line we're pursuing here.

My only request is that these things do not detract/distract from the main story, or cause it to run unnecessarily over the target time period (RL time).
Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #44
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
What would Saeryn's role be? My time constraints still stand, and I can't handle more than cameos right now. I'd hate to drag Saeryn into a rescue that I couldn't devote full attention to when her only place in this entire adventure is to beg a dream off of a love interest that she has no idea she likes.

Unless she's got a decent sized role, I can't seem to justify including her, and if she does have one, I can't seem to justify the time needed for it. It seems to be lose-lose.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #45
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Quote:
Tara, I like that Sorn is all righteously indignant over his sister, and I liked the way you phrased it. It almost feels like it's like as not a completely imagined slight.
Thanks Jenny! I wasn't sure if that was too much of a stretch But I wanted to make him a flawed person, and not simply evil *giggles* So he's vain, prideful, AND evil. I like him already *wink*

Pio , I've done some VERY rough calculations, and I believe Sorn would be around 40 years old.

*grins* Can't wait to get started on this! It looks like it'll be a lot of fun!

EDIT: Jenny , I've been thinking of beginning on a first post. Where and when should I have it take place?

Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 05-07-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #46
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Character descriptions

Celuien's characters

PLACED ON PROPOSAL ~*~ Pio

NAME: Garstan

RACE: Human, Rohirric

WEAPONS: stoneshapers’ tools, handy with a knife

APPEARANCE: About 6 feet. Blonde, blue eyed. Weathered appearance from years of working outdoors. Hands thickly callused from laboring over stone. Wears plain, simple clothing.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Garstan is a quiet, retiring sort, more accustomed to the company of his stonework than of people. For that reason, he tends to be uncomfortable in crowds or among strangers. However, once he finds a friend, he is deeply loyal and, while still reticent with regard to expressing emotions, can be warm and open if his trust has been gained. He has gradually learned to put himself forward to others, though his sense of awkwardness can ironically make him appear impulsive or overbearing when he makes the effort too strongly. He makes up for this failing by trying to be proper and polite. He is analytical and precise, both in his work and thought processes – he is a classic perfectionist. That coupled with his quiet manner can give the false impression that he is cold and distant, though in reality, nothing could be further from the truth, which is that his careful exterior masks deep feeling. He is devoted to and highly protective of his two children. On the downside, he can be gloomy and pessimistic if the mood strikes him, and if sufficiently provoked while in such a mood, can lash out unexpectedly.

HISTORY: Garstan was born and spent most of his life in the distant reaches of Rohan’s Wold region. Always possessed of a wandering spirit, he gladly went for an apprenticeship in stoneshaping near the borders of Gondor as an adolescent. After completing his training, he returned to the Wold, plying his trade as best as he could in a sparsely settled area. The low demand for his craft caused him to take on a nearly nomadic existence, always in search of work, and to learn the skills of other craftsmen he encountered. Thus, by the age of 22, he was something of a jack-of-all-trades, though his true gift remained remained in stonework.

Garstan’s wandering existence made it difficult for him to settle into a family life. However, at 23, he wed the daughter of one of his employers and set up a small shop as a general handyman and stoneshaper. The desire to roam the countryside was always in the back of his mind, but he didn’t feel the inclination to do so while his family was growing.

His wife died after ten years of marriage. After that, the old wandering spirit returned to him, and seeing nothing left to keep him in their old home, he sold off his household effects and took his children on a wandering path through Rohan.

After a year and a half of unsettledness, Garstan began to realize that roaming the countryside was not the best life for the father of two small children. He then set for Edoras, planning to settle there and hoping to make a reputation as a stoneshaper. A broken cart stopped his journey as it neared its completion, and he found his way to Lord Eodwine’s Mead Hall.

~*~

NAME: Lčođern

WEAPONS: none

APPEARANCE: About 3 and a half feet tall. Glossy, strawberry ringlets that run wildly over her shoulders. Bright, twinkling blue eyes. A bundle of motion. Can be located quickly by her constant talking and laughter.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lčođern is adorability taken to its furthest extreme. Chattery, friendly, and energetic, she has a way of endearing herself to almost everyone she meets. While doted on by her father and brother, she’s not the stereotypical spoiled child. Any trouble she causes is unintentional, usually the result of her irrepressible high spirits; she is unfailingly and genuinely sorry afterwards. Warm and affectionate to anyone who treats her kindly.

HISTORY: The daughter of Garstan the stoneshaper, Lčođern has little memory of life before her father’s wanderings in their cart. While she has had few contacts other than her father and brother, she has never been lonely or unhappy thanks to her unfailingly sunny disposition and their constant attention. Life at the Mead Hall has been a new experience for her, made all the more exciting and wonderful by her instant friendship with Linduial.

~*~

NAME: Garmund

WEAPONS: none

APPEARANCE: Blonde, blue eyed, tall for his age at 5 feet even. Has a thoughtful, introspective manner with occasional hints of sadness, unless Lčođern’s infectious cheeriness has caused him to adopt her energy.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Garmund is quite strongly the younger version of his father, with a little more impulsiveness and more of a tendency to join in Lčođern’s fun and games. Tends to be very protective of Lčođern, has something of a ‘man-of-the-family’ complex. Bright. Gifted in stonework.

HISTORY: Garmund is Garstan’s oldest child. He has memories of the home the stoneshaper’s family inhabited before the death of his mother. This accounts for the occasional sad, far-away manner he takes on. His gift for stoneshaping was discovered by his proud father two years ago, and he eagerly looks forward to taking on the role of an apprentice in the next few years.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-07-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #47
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Tara, pick up your post where mine left off, with Lin sitting before Sorn on his horse.

Fea, talk to lmp about this dream bit, and see how far he really wants to go with it. I didn't know if Saeryn would still be curious about the dream in all the confusion going on or not.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #48
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Eorling Mead Hall thread has stalled and needs a restart. This is because people don't know where to post what. The best way to resolve that, it seems to me, is to move Lothiriel's visit to the Mead Hall into the Eorling Mead Hall thread and out of the Abduction thread. If we do that, then both threads can move along because the Mead Hall thread gets to tie up loose ends of the Day, and with the Day done, there's a clean break from which both threads can start. Does that make sense? Can it work? What do you think?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #49
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If you're going to enlarge the scope of this "mini" RPG - then please put a write-up of the plotline for the sub-plot's subplot on board here, so that the moderators can look it over.

~*~ Pio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why don't you just put Lothiriel's visit post on both threads?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #50
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
If you're going to enlarge the scope of this "mini" RPG - then please put a write-up of the plotline for the sub-plot's subplot on board here, so that the moderators can look it over.
Tell you what, I'd rather do the Manawyth thing on the Mead hall thread and just spend a little bit of time on one Day, then move things forward to catch up to real time.

Quote:
Why don't you just put Lothiriel's visit post on both threads?
Good idea. Jenny, can you do that?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #51
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Here's the jailor...

POSTED TO THE PROPOSAL ~*~ PIO

NAME: Scyld

RACE: Man - Rohirric

WEAPONS: He is not much of a fighter but if necessary he can wield a pair of knives with reasonable proficiency. Much more dangerous is his mind, but very few if any realize this, as he keeps his intelligence as hidden as his knives.

APPEARANCE
: Short dirty-blonde hair, blue-gray eyes, passive expression that rarely expresses his thoughts. Dresses plainly but certainly not shabbily. 5’11” tall, not particularly strong or athletic but rather thin.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: The only person that matters to Scyld is Scyld. He looks out for himself and takes care not to offend or cause wariness to anyone, whether because they could help or hurt him. He is very much an opportunist and can think quickly. However, he is rarely impulsive and only takes risks when he feels confident that it will work out well for him. He lies easily but is honest whenever he can be. He is very intelligent and has an ear for information of all sorts; he would make an ideal spy if anyone ever found out his talents, but he is careful to keep this hidden behind apparent subservience and only average intelligence.

HISTORY: Scyld was born the fifth child to an already struggling family of middling rank. Most of their remaining wealth was lost in the War of the Ring, and in the following years, Scyld’s father amassed a debt to Sorn that he was unable to pay. In place of cash, the twelve-year-old Scyld was contracted to work ten years in Sorn’s service, after which Scyld would be free to do as he wished and Sorn would consider the debt paid.

Initially confused and resentful, Scyld soon learned to make the best of his situation. He learned a wide variety of skills in Sorn’s household, and to learning he devoted himself – not only about his new skills, but also to finding out as much as possible about Sorn and anything else that might eventually prove useful to him. Gathering information became his hobby. But by always obeying Sorn’s commands to the letter and always behaving subserviently and never showing outstanding intelligence, he came to be trusted by Sorn, although Scyld took care never to get too close to his volatile master. Nor did he ever grow to love him, and if better opportunity presented itself to Scyld, he would without reservations or regrets stab Sorn in the back (literally or figuratively) and take it, and for such an opportunity he always watched, although to this point he has never proved anything but trustworthy. When his ten years ran out, he elected to stay with Sorn at least for a time while figuring out what he wanted to do next.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-08-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #52
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I can definitely put it there. Then we split the stories...Stuff dealing with Lin (sending off Degas, volunteering for the mission, etc.) will come here, other stuff (Manawyth, dream, whatnot) happens in the Mead Hall.

Honestly I didn't really want the Manawyth stuff to happen here. I want this to be pretty straightforward one story.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #53
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm working on my character post for the king's man now. (Not that it will go particularly quickly, especially with a movie running in the next room, but it will be done soon.) I should have it up here at latest tomorrow morning. Hopefully, though, I'll be able to finish it tonight.

Hama, I'm looking forward to our two characters working together. My character will be directly beneath yours and I think it will be fun writing.

-- Folwren
Old 05-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #54
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Announcement

As soon as the last bios are up, we shall begin. Please try to get bios up in the next 48 hours.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #55
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
One of the King/Queen's Men.

PLACED ON PROPOSAL ~*~ PIO

NAME: Deren

RACE: Man, of the Rohirrim

APPEARANCE: He’s average height, about 5 feet and 7 or 8 inches, about. He has blond hair, brown eyes, possessing an angularly shaped face with high, prominent cheekbones, a proud forehead, and strong jaw. Sharp as his features may appear, while off duty, they are often softened by a smile and a friendly look.

PERSONALITIES/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He, like his commander, is very loyal to king and country, and to his leader. He does his best to please and do as he is asked (or ordered, as the case probably is in the military set up). He’s good at following orders and seeing things through to the end, so long as they’re possible. Those traits have come after many years in service. (When he was a bit younger, things were different and he made more mistakes in the work of ‘carrying out orders’ when {and because} he was less disciplined, but because we’re talking about when he’s 32, I won’t elaborate.)

He is not spectacularly strong or so very agile, but he makes up both of those things with excellent swordsmanship and a good shot with a bow. He’s hardly any good at spear throwing, but he can manage it somewhat.

He’s somewhat argumentative at times, but rarely so with any one he is subordinate to, so we shouldn’t have too much trouble with that. More often than not, he doesn’t mean to start an argument or anything, he just speaks his mind and sticks to it firmly, to say the least.

HISTORY: Born and raised in Edoras. Joined the men at arms there when he was twenty, has been in the army/military, or whatever you would like to call it, since. Was placed under Haleth when he was twenty-eight and has been almost consistently part of his group of men since. Respects and loves his leader and would be willing to die for him. He has quite picked up his zeal for the Queen and her protection.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-08-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #56
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Here's my minion...

POSTED TO PROPOSAL ~*~ PIO

NAME: Osfrid

WEAPONS: Osfrid carries a long knife hidden in his jacket, but he rarely uses it, and prefers to pummel people with his fists.

APPEARANCE: Osfrid is of average height, with a strong and sturdy build. He has long blond hair, reaching down to his shoulders in thick locks. He has a big blond mustache, and blue eyes. He tends to smile a lot, especially when meeting new people, and his back is always straight and his head held high. He always wears a big, brown coat and tall black boots.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Osfrid's a friendly fellow. He loves to surround himself with people and be the center of attention, and he charms many people with just a handshake and a smile. He lacks arrogance or pride, which Osfrid knows are dangerous, and this is why people like him so much. But this not to gain friends. This is how he performs his mischief. With his friendliness, he can convince mostly anybody of mostly anything. He can tell a straight lie, and if he smiles enough, he can swindle anything.

Osfrid's one weakness is for women. He loves to chase after them and lure them away to accompany him on his adventures. Every few months or so he has a new lady friend. The latest is a Gondorian woman out of Anorien, named Muriel. Osfrid insists on bringing his women everywhere with him, and loves to spoil them with gifts.

Osfrid thinks of himself as a gentleman thief, and would take insults about his profession very personally. Many brawls he's fought have began that way. Sometimes he thinks that people like Sorn have given the profession a bad name, and he would like to see more chivalrous behavior out of all criminals.

HISTORY: Osfrid was born into a wealthy land-owning family, with a large estate out in eastern Rohan. He had two brothers and a sister, but they never got along. His family always looked down a tad bit on Osfrid for mingling with the lower classes, but Osfrid just considered his family foolish. He stole from his siblings often. In Osfrid's mind, they didn't deserve the money. He even stole small belongings, and soon his sister and brothers banned him from all of the family parties. He still tried to sneak in.

When the parents died, Osfrid received an exact fourth of their money, though his siblings always disagreed with their parents' decision. The house went to Osfrid's brothers, and he was kicked out. Osfrid wandered to the eorl of the East-Emnet, and took refuge at the mead hall there, but he left after the eorl had discovered that somebody was stealing his coin every night. He wandered here and there, finally settling in a tiny village. He began a small mercantile business between the villages in the area and for a time was prosperous. But he was chased out of the village after a few years by competing tradesmen, saying he was using unethical practices. True, he was, and he gathered his possessions and hit the road.

He moved from town to town, staying in each only a few days. He had a "lady friend" in each town, too, to have an extra seat for him at the dinner-table should he stop by. He mostly made his money by swindling it out of those he met on his journeys. He would never stoop to begging. And when he failed to swindle coin out of some wise man, he just dipped a tiny bit into his savings, which he had deposited across the towns of the Eastfolde in safe and secret locations. Sometimes he took an odd job here or there.

He met Sorn during these travels, and the two became partners-in-crime, each calling upon the other whenever one had a grand scheme in mind, such as the kidnapping of Linduial.

And, with Jenny's permission, I have included Osfrid's latest lady friend, who'll be a carry-along character.

NAME: Muriel

RACE: Human, of Rohirric and Gondorian ancestry

WEAPONS: None.

APPEARANCE: Muriel is tall and skinny, with pale skin and long black hair, though she usually ties it into a tight little bun. She usually wears a black dress, and lots of cheap jewelry Osfrid's given to her. She usually wears a pouty, helpless expression on her face.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Muriel loves to be spoiled. She loves every gift her beloved Osfrid gives her, everything from individual flowers to "diamond" necklaces. She is quiet, and clingy to Osfrid, and hates it when he ignores her.

She is ingenuous, too. She likes to think she's a princess, but she knows nothing about the stately manners and businesses of true princesses. She dislikes not being taken seriously.

HISTORY: Muriel's family lived on a tiny farm in Anórien, outside of Rohan's borders. She was sent into Rohan one day to deliver a message to her cousin. She was accompanied by her brother. He would've been sent alone, but he was lame and couldn't ride well. That is why Muriel was sent along. Once they reached the village, Muriel met Osfrid, the man of her dreams, at the inn she stayed at. He swept her away, with only a short good-bye to her brother, and Muriel was off on the adventure she had always dreamed of.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-08-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It would be me... I'll see what I can do to have the bios in before I go to bed tonight. No promises.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #58
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, golly, I skipped weapons. I thought I was forgetting something. Pio, please put this into my bio on the proposal form:

WEAPONS: Excellent with the sword, and a good shot (not spectacular, just good) with the bow. Little ability with throwing or using spears.

DONE ~*~ PIO

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-08-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #59
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Pio, as soon as Fea gets those bios up, would you please open the game thread so we might get started?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Absolutely!

Do you want to give any instruction to the players before they post to the thread . . . or post yourself again . . . or can anyone available when I open it just plunge in?

~*~ Pio
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #61
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

This is such a great group of players that I don't think anything should be needed. Everyone here is a more experienced RPer than I am, and I trust their judgement.

I will probably only post instructions concerning storyline development unless something specific comes up, and I think for now that the storyline is fairly straightforward. I do not want to dictate to the evil players either, and would like to see them run with what I have given on how Lin's captivity goes, at least until later in the game.

As for another post from me, I would like to see some reaction from the other characters before my next post.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #62
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

POSTED TO PROPOSAL ~*~ PIO

NAME: Adrigil son of Farlen

RACE: Gondorian

WEAPONS: A scimitar acquired from a sleazily ethic'd Umbarian trader, a razor-sharp black dagger from Khand, a potentially Elven bow and quiver given as a token of thanks from an otherwise nefarious pirate whose lady Adrigil saved from near drowning on the high seas.

APPEARANCE: 6'5", well-tanned, straight black hair currently shaved bald from a far southern ceremony involving details that he refuses to divulge. High cheekbones and grey eyes. Impressively muscled upper arms play host to intricately designed tribal tattoos, black ink tracing delicate knots across and around his biceps.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Adventurous with a strong love of learning new things. Travels as frequently as his duties as father, husband, and heir allow, picking up new talents like wood carving, staff fighting, deep sea fishing and more. Speaks many languages fluently. Has friends scattered about Middle Earth with which he communicates by long letters frequently. Has no qualms about using profanity, but only when women and children (and in this category, he does not count his sisters or cousins) are not present. Having the first voice one hears when they walk into a room, Adrigil is rather booming, a bit intimidating, and immediately likable as he holds no noble pretensions. Rather is it that he is fully aware of the power that comes with his name, as are all, to be honest, and so he feels no need to compensate for it. Very strong, he has to take care not to hurt anybody accidentally. Has a strong love of tournaments and other such events that allow him to show off. Learned to ride among the Rohirrim, learned to fight from locals of every place he's been, and is very much a cuddly teddy bear of a man when in the privacy of his home, no matter what his gruff demeanor elsewhere. Madly in love with his wife, Adrigil has settled a lot in the past seven years; ever since his first child was born.

HISTORY: Adrigil spent his childhood playing pirates and King's Guard with his cousins on the high walls of Dol Amroth. With a special knack for discovering adventures where parents had hoped there to be none, Adrigil often found himself in the midst of a good story to tell later, when mother wasn't around. His younger sister Azranala often took it upon herself to keep Adrigil behaving even as she continuously bossed young Farahil around. Farahil listened, sometimes, and Adrigil humored his motherly little sister until she left him alone more than a few seconds.

As soon as he could, Adrigil talked his mother and father into allowing him to travel at sea with their men. Spending his teenage years in and out of Dol Amroth learning to fight and to command with the captain of the fleet, Adrigil was self-sufficient early. He spent his time at home teasing Azranala, who retorted quite as quickly as she received her brother's taunts and sharing travel stories with Lothiriel who he was always very fond of.

At 20, Adrigil was already experienced in the ways of the world and so when his mother died in childbirth, he was crushed, though not as heart broken as his 12-year-old brother. He humored the 15-year-old Azranala more now, seeing her attempts to fill the void, and he cossetted the new baby, Linduial, named for their dead mother, always more gentle with her than with any others.

He rode with Imrahil's forces to Minas Tirith during the War of the Ring, though he did not ride to the Black Gate. Instead he followed his uncle's very firm advice to stay and guard the city lest it fall. After the war, seeing the fatherless children weep and the husbandless wives carry on heartbroken with their lives, Adrigil resolved that no child should feel the loss of a parent and began to spoil the very young Linduial all the more, buying her pretty items that had no particular use, but that he knew his mother would have cherished and shared with the fussy little girl.

Through his 20s, Adrigil explored Middle Earth, taking Farahil along with him, finding true adventures and acquiring stories only half-believed by those left at home. Always an excellent fighter, he honed his skills with local secrets after gaining acceptance no matter what it took, no matter where he went. Though loud as well as tall and muscular, Adrigil's dark eyes and burnt golden skin were welcoming more than alarming and he was well-liked.

Marrying a pretty young woman when he was nearly 30, Adrigil began to slowly settle, giving up his life on the road (or at sea) to enjoy the quiet family life that he noticed many men enjoying. It lasted about a year before he went nearly stir-crazy and his wife told him to go on an adventure or she would. Kissing her passionately goodbye, he sailed the coast of Middle Earth for several months, dealing with pirates where they were causing trouble, helping rebuild where storms had caused damage, and generally being helpful to the coastal cities and merchant sailors. Returning home, he discovered that his wife was right in telling him to go; he could never be content without a struggle. Loving her all the more, he settled into an almost structured life of stay at home and be a good husband and heir and go out and be a good man of Gondor.

At 30, Adrigil's first child was born; a son. In the following years, his wife bore him two daughters and another son, all black haired and all cheerful, the girls slender and pretty as their still young aunt Linduial, the boys much like Adrigil's father, wise and doting and strong.

As years passed, Adrigil continued to adventure and to stay at home in intervals, coming home with lavish gifts and wonderful stories, loathe to leave for long stretches of time where he was content to do little but play with his children, dote upon his wife, and spend time with the residents of his home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NAME: Farahil son of Farlen

RACE: Gondorian

WEAPONS: Trained in the use of every weapon he comes across, Farahil is proficient in all, studying to perfect each before continuing to the next. He is an extremely formidable opponent on the battlefield and his reputation tends to precede him.

APPEARANCE: 6'1", muscular. Broad shouldered, but not imposing. Walks silently, with footfalls especially light for his large frame. Often seen with a small child on his shoulders when at home, whether a relative or one of the wee ones of the household. Straight black hair that falls past a strong jaw line. Usually combed into a horsetail like those of the Rohirrim of the north, though if a strong wind blowing across the deck of a ship happens to pull his hair from its tie, he will let the wind take it. Farahil presents a rather dashing image of a sailor. A quiet smile often adorns his lips, his dark grey eyes lighting softly. He is most comfortable in commoners' clothing and wears it when adventuring, though even a blind man could see blood of the noblest lines in his visage.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Though he is a younger son, Farahil has never begrudged his older brother the position of heir. He appreciates his ability to adventure with nearly unlimited funding, yet he owns the sort of disposition that might have been happier in another life without the obligations that come from carrying certain blood within his veins.

He is uncomfortable at formal occasions. While he attends those events deemed important by his sisters, and dresses impeccably for them, Farahil is no more social than strictly necessary and eagerly awaits any opportunity to leave. If he happens to be away from home during such things, he is not in the least bit perturbed. He is most comfortable on a ship, sailing in the late afternoon sun while lazily glancing at the endless waters, pondering what new treat will most easily draw a smile from his younger sister. His discovery that she is a fair shot inspires his continued collecting of bright feathers for quiet evenings spent fletching while she chatters happily away.

Though quieter and more reserved than his older brother, Farahil's very presence is reassuring and he is a favorite of all. Many people do not fully understand him, yet children are drawn to him and strangers find themselves telling him their life stories over a quiet drink. The men that sail under him are loyal beyond the understanding of most, confident in his ability and trusting in both his leadership and friendship. Though Farahil has noble bearing, he treats all as equals and is more comfortable laughing over bawdy jokes in sea-side taverns than politely discussing the state of the weather with visiting dignitaries over dinner. He has a knack for seeing people's strengths as well as their weaknesses and placing them in situations where they will flourish.

HISTORY: The younger son of Lord Farlen, Farahil spent his childhood as the youngest child in the family. With his brother, Adrigil, eight years his senior and his sister, Azranala, three years so, he often struggled to keep up, though if they had been matched in age, he certainly would have matched his siblings in strength and wit, respectively. As playmates of Imrahil's sons and daughter, the children often shared tutors and had adventures within the ancient walls of the castle when they were kept indoors.

Trained early in both statecraft and weaponry, Farahil immediately preferred the latter, studying diligently with the arms masters in hopes of perfecting each weapon. With his twelfth year came the birth of a baby sister, Linduial, and he was fascinated by her. While his older sister was lovely in her own hard-edged way and was certainly proper and could negotiate a horse from beneath his rider while convincing, whether the rider liked it or not, that it was for his own good, Linduial was tiny and porcelain. He was nervous holding her, afraid that she would break, but her bright eyes and happy gurgle instantly stole the very heart that the death of Farahil's mother had broken. From the day she was born, Farahil was protective of her, finding excuses to spend time with her, delighting in eliciting smiles from her. Teased by his peers for his constant thought of his baby sister, he began to keep more to himself, surprising Linduial as she grew with small treats and the like, while beginning to adventure further from home.

As Farahil entered his later teens, after the War of the Ring, his brother, already grown, began to take him on sailing adventures and Farahil developed a keen love of the sea, more even than he had had for the view from the castle walls of the glimmering blue. Whether working in the sweltering sun on the deck of a fishing ship or captaining a crew of traders or adventurers, Farahil was happiest on the water. As he got older, he became less tied to his home and began to enjoy the freedom of the sea more and more, yet he still thought of his little sister, strong as steel and fragile as silk. He brought her tokens after every adventure, sharing stories even as she told him of her latest exploits at home.

These days, Farahil avoids marriage, fearing to bind a woman to him in troth and still feel the call of the sea. When home, he plays with his nieces and nephews, spoiling them with gifts from distant lands, and he seeks out his baby sister, now grown. Hearing of Lin's desire to travel, he wished to ride with her as a guard, but knew that it would defeat her purpose to escape the constraints of home for a time. She had spoken to him of her wish to escape the lad that Farlen had in mind for her, and Farahil knew that his beloved little sister would fade if forced to stay. Secretly he sought out his father and spoke with him, asking leave for Lin to go even before she asked it herself

Though it was partly of his doing that Linduial was allowed to travel to Rohan to visit Lothiriel, he misses her terribly. He sees clearly that which surrounds him: his older siblings married with families, his baby sister having adventures of her own. Even now he is seeking a new crew with which to sail further south than he has ever yet gone, searching desperately for something, anything, but unsure what it is or if he will find it no matter where he goes.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-09-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #63
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Jenny : I have a post written and ready to go! I have every idea you may want to change some particulars, as I'm still figuring out Sorn's overall 'scheme'. I've had him put Linduial in a cell constructed in his cellar below ground. Is that okay?

I'm also not sure what to call his estate. I've listed 'Hall', though I don't suppose that's an entirely correct term? It's not too similar to the Mead Hall, for example. But calling it a 'Manor' seems to modern, and a 'Palace' too fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you like, I can PM you this first post, or just put it up when the thread opens. If you have a particular order you'd like the first posts to go in, please let me know!

I can't wait to start! I'm particularly exceited about working with the fellow 'baddies' in this RPG. Your bio's are amazing, and already have me weaving little plot details! *giggles*

Tara
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #64
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Great! Now we can start whenever Pio opens the thread. Tara, I'm sure it's fine...just go with it!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #65
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Poor Degas, no? Let's get this party started.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #66
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

~*~ The game is now open. ~*~

Reminders for an RPG in play:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., etc.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion Thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion Thread.

• SAVES should be filled within 24 hours/48 at the latest and may be removed from the game at the discretion of the moderator.

• Swearing, sexual conduct, or obscenity of any kind are absolutely prohibited. There are no exceptions.

Quote:
    . . . I always ask myself if any of these words or euphemisms for cursing would be found in Tolkien's works. So I always say no to cursing and to any 'pseudo-cursing'. They need to keep it clean. -- per The Barrow-Wight

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-21-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #67
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

OH Tara, why were you worried? He's lovely...so deliciously selfish.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #68
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
He's lovely...so deliciously selfish.
*giggles* Marvellous! I got what I wanted!

Overall, I wanted to portray Sorn as completely and totally self-absorbed. And, to the credit of the other minion and jailers bios, it seems they'll bring that out even further with their scheming behind Sorn's back! I'm relishing the possibilties!

Jenny: As it says, Sorn will go down into the cell. If you want to get that out in the next chance you post, please do so. If not, I can cover it. Whichever I have some ideas that will keep Sorn a few 'paces ahead' as he mentions.

Tara
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #69
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Jenny,

How will Haleth fit into the early stage of the rp?

Will the queen talk to him, or something else?

~Hama
Old 05-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #70
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hama:

Haleth has been left by the Queen in the front yard of the Inn, with instructions to investigate Lin's disappearance and take charge of the rescue effort. You have the ability to recruit volunteers only from the ranks of her guard, as you need them. I assume that you also will need to periodically report your progress to the guard. As far as I can tell, you're free to set to.

Tara:

I'll introduce this latest confrontation with Sorn in my next post so we can get a Lin's-eye-view of the cell, the screaming, and general carrying on... Expect it sometime this evening.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #71
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I would like to post, but I'm not possitive where exactly my character is. I hope I don't sound daft in asking where he is, but it's true that I don't know. I would like him to have stayed with Hama's character in the mead hall yard, but you, Jenny, said that the 'rest of her guard' followed her out. Was that everyone but Hethrel? Or what?

As soon as I know, I should be able to write something.

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #72
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Foley: Hrethel is not at the Hall at the end of my post; he is returning to Meduseld with the Queen's guard. However, he would surely have heard that Haleth could recruit volunteers. Therefore it would be up to you to have Hrethel return to the Hall to volunteer, or to wait for Haleth to actively recruit you.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #73
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Foley: Hrethel is not at the Hall at the end of my post; he is returning to Meduseld with the Queen's guard. However, he would surely have heard that Haleth could recruit volunteers. Therefore it would be up to you to have Hrethel return to the Hall to volunteer, or to wait for Haleth to actively recruit you.
Oh. Oh, I see. Okay. I'll write something or other soon, then. Thanks!

EDIT: HOLD! Everything's not so grand as I thought. I didn't mean Hrethel, I meant Haleth, when I asked my question. I coudn't remember his name and I didn't look it up, so I wrote the closest to what I thought it was and it came out Hrethel, which isn't even a character, I don't believe.

Where's Hama's character, that's what I want to know? You've told Hama that he was left at the Mead Hall. Anyway, that's what I think you've told him, and he was to stay there to investigate the disapearance of Lin. Is that right? If it is right, I would like to now know - is my characer's position the same - marching back towards Meduseld?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 05-09-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #74
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Yes. Haleth is in the Hall courtyard, and Deren is returning with Lothiriel.

(Sorry...I wasn't paying close attention, and when I saw you mention Hrethel my brain decided that was your character, Foley.)
Old 05-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #75
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Post placed.

Elempi: I don't know if Eodwine has talked to Degas yet and given him his mission. I have written with the assumption that he has not.
Also, Thornden will not be returning until the evening of this day, as you may be aware. Once he's there, I hope Eodwine will be able to put him to good use.

Hama: Deren is at your disposal. Speak to him, or leave him standing at your character's whim.

If anything is wrong with my post, tell me, and I'll be happy to change it.

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #76
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I won't be around at all today. Any posting from me will have to wait until tomorrow. Just so you know.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #77
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'm planning to post tomorrow as well, but not tonight. Lots of errands to run. I'm in between trips now...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #78
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Will Degas be required, do you think, before he gets to Gondor?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #79
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Post up. We see that Garstan underestimates Lin, though his heart is in the right place.

Will he and can he join the rescue party? I don't know for the same reasons that he doesn't know what to do.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #80
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Though Saeryn won't take part in this, as far as can be seen, Garstan should know that if he leaves, she will care for the children as best she can, and certainly with the help of the entire rest of the remaining household.