The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #561
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Or even Carcharoth could be that. But I think Sauron is more correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shards of Narsil
I had Hunthor in my head and thought it would fit, but for some reason didn't post. Probably because Legate was laughing at me.
Oh, when? Sorry if it ever seemed like that, but I don't remember any such occassion!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #562
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Good thinking with Sauron, though if that were my line of reasoning, I probably would prefer Morgoth, just because Grishnakh is so incredibly inferior to Sauron as a servant of evil.

Coincidentally, Legate, Carcaroth is who I was looking for: but that wasn't the reason why. Think less specifically of Frodo's personal relation to Grishnakh...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #563
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thinking aloud

Huh! Indeed? Now why... Grishnakh didn't bite off Frodo's arm... nor did Sam sing lullaby to him... nor did he eat the Ring (though he'd certainly like to... bah! maybe not, what would Sauron do to him then if he learned it's inside him?)... not personal, you say? But what then, when they are connected by it? Grishnakh captured, or later also saved Frodo's friends, Merry&Pippin... could it be said that Carcharoth "saved" the Silmaril? Or those who killed him were his friends... Horsemen - Huan? Bah, hobbits did not know the Horsemen... Mablung... I can't think of anything, really. Maybe - a Nazgul that scared Frodo was supposed to carry Grishnakh over the water? But Carcharoth did not need anything to carry... and the simple relationship Frodo - Sauron - Grishnakh vs. Beren - Morgoth - Carcharoth it's not as you said... that idea would fit more with Shagrat or some other "door guard".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #564
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yes, Frodo-Sauron-Grishnakh is a tie with Beren-Morgoth-Carcaroth. Anyway, since you already know the name itself, here's my reasoning behind it:

Frodo entered Mordor dressed as an Orc: Grishnakh was a notable Orc who served Sauron, Lord of Mordor. (You're right in saying that Shagrat would have done better as an example, because he was at the gates of Mordor when Frodo entered.)
In any case, Beren entered Angband dressed as a Werewolf: Carcaroth was a notable Werewolf who served Morgoth, Lord of Angband.

So there it is. Thread's yours, Legate.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #565
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Pipe

Huh! I probably wouldn't have thought of it. Tough one.

Okay, here goes mine:

Thranduil is to Sauron

as

Fréalaf Hildeson is to _______
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #566
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I can't think of anyone else but Wulf, who was defeated together with his Dunlendings by Frealaf, just as Thranduil's elves managed to defeat Sauron's orcs.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #567
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yup, it was Wulf, but not for the reason you name.

Since Miggy said he will not be here now, the next person who says the correct reason why can have the thread.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #568
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ha, I'm back...and it seems nobody was interested in the thread...
Anyway...maybe because Sauron attacked Thranduil while all his allies were under attack as well, just as Wulf did, taking advantage of the fact that Easterlings were attacking Rohan in the east and that Gondor was threatened by Corsairs.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #569
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm, happens that I probably forgot what I had in mind when I put the riddle up Oh, have the thread - I think I was occupying it here for quite some time...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #570
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I can't seem to be able to come up with anything good right now, so anyone who wishes may post.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #571
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril Okay, I'll take it

What about

Bilbo is to Dori

as

The Ring is to _________?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #572
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Dori and Bilbo together makes me think about Dori carrying Bilbo on his back through the tunnels, just like a Ring-bearer carries the Ring.
Considering that Dori dropped Bilbo when he was attacked by an Orc, I would say the Ring-bearer in this case must be Isildur since he also dropped the Ring while he was being followed by Orcs.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #573
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Well, that's perfectly true, but not the thing I had in mind. Though I must say the thing I had in mind was very similar than that guess of yours, but the answer is not Isildur. Keep guessing.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #574
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe Frodo...he dropped the Ring eventually when attacked by Gollum...well actually he lot his finger as well
Old 09-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #575
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Actually my first idea that Bilbo was an unwanted baggage for Dori, but since the Ring was an unwanted baggage for everyone, there's not much chance to get a clear answer. I thought about Sam, just in case TM is not right
Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #576
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

No and no, but keep guessing, you're really close...
Old 09-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #577
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Then to Gollum. He couldn't get rid of it, though he wanted to
Old 09-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #578
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Gollum is the correct answer, but that is not the correct reasoning. Surely Gollum was not the only one who wanted to get rid of the Ring (nor Dori the only one who wanted to get rid of Bilbo )...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #579
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

In that case, it could be many things. But the first that comes to my mind is that Dori was the one who carried Bilbo in the goblin tunnels, as did Gollum with the Ring for a long time.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #580
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Almost :D

Combine that with one of your or TM's previous guesses and you have it.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #581
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well then maybe that they both dropped their load as they accidentally fell.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #582
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, Gollum did not accidentally fall... we are not told what happened to him after he got that little goblin.

But otherwise I suppose you meant that Gollum both carried and lost the Ring, as Dori both carried and "lost that burglar". We can also say it happened almost at the same place.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #583
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

No... (TM, I can't see how that's combining Legate's guess and some of the earlier ones... )
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #584
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Cross-posted with Legate

And no, you don't have it either, Legate.

Well, combine TM's first guess and the guess of Legate's I told you to combine with an earlier guess.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #585
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Well, combine TM's first guess and the guess of Legate's I told you to combine with an earlier guess.
What?

Okay, so how about that they both dropped their load in the presence of the goblins? But it was from a different side: Dori was chased by the goblins, while Gollum chased the goblins.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #586
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
What?
Combine something from #572 with something from #579.

Which is to say, no, that is not the correct reasoning either.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #587
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I'm going to leave BD for this night and so that you don't need to lose your night's sleep pondering this (), I'll give you the right answer as you're so close anyway.

To Dori, Bilbo is something he dropped in Moria.
To Gollum, the Ring is something he dropped in Moria.

Legate can have the thread as he was the one to guess Gollum and to mention Moria (even though very vaguely).
Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #588
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

What?
Moria is a bit further south the last time I looked on the map of M-e...?!?!
Though I must agree that Legate should go next.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #589
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

To Lommy: You did well to go to bed, your wits were getting sleepy!

Okay, let's ask something.

Thrór is to Nár
as
______ is to Elrond
Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #590
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy
What?
Moria is a bit further south the last time I looked on the map of M-e...?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
To Lommy: You did well to go to bed, your wits were getting sleepy!
Indeed! The thing I had in mind was rather "in the goblin passages under the Misty Mountains" but somehow I managed to mix Moria with it when writing that post... *wonders what will happen in the trivia match*
Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #591
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
A couple of thoughts...

Could Nar be considered Thror's herald, although the Dwarves did not have quite the same titles as the Elves? If so, then the answer is Gil-Galad since Elrond was his herald.

The other angle is that Nar advised Thror against going to Moria, and yet Thror proceeded and it cost him his life. Likewise, Elrond advised Isildur to destroy the ring, and yet he did not and it later cost him his life. In this case, the answer would be Isildur.
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #592
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good thoughts, but no, not what I had in mind. I'm not quite sure what was Nár's position - he was just a companion as far as I know. And the Isildur answer also is not what I had in mind.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #593
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe Arwen, because she did something against Elrond's advice just like Thror with Nar.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #594
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope. I would help you this way: What was Thrór to Nár? That was _____ to Elrond.
And I have to say "what" was Thrór to Nár. Even if it were gramatically correct, I couldn't say "who" was Thrór to Nár, because in this case it does not work like that.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #595
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Hmm
All I could find is that Thror and Nar were old companions. But besides that I don't know...

Hmmm...and Elrond's old companion might be...Glorfindel?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #596
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Don't think about relationship. Think about what they represented. At certain point of time. *shrugs* (You will understand when you find the answer)
Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #597
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

What they represented...
Hard to say.
Maybe Elwing in this case.

Elrond was spared by the Sons of Feanor like Nar was spared by Azog...really difficult to understand this.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #598
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, no... what to say...

WHAT they represented... not WHO they represented... not relationship but... well, yes, what they represented... I don't know how to say that better... emphasise the WHAT... WHAT... like an... well, object...

If you don't get it now, then tell me and I will post a hint that will aim at it from some other point of view.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #599
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe they represented a pair or something like that. (not in the romantical way)
So would Elros then be the match for Elron do make a pair as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 AM   #600
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hint, please.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote