The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #1
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Quoting from the Published Silmarillion

I was just wondering how you lot feel about quoting from the Published Silmarillion? I for one would much rather post from the unfinished Quenta's of HoME 10 and 11 or even on occasion the Quenta's of HoME 4 and 5 ,though this is when the debate is not 'canonical' so to speak.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:17 AM   #2
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

I tend to agree with you. I would rather quote something from a pure Tolkien text than the Published Silmarillion. Now, having said that, there are several passages from Book of Lost Tales, that I enjoy using, yet I know that while they were Tolkien's writtings, the ideas changed over time.
Also, there is the fact that JRRT intented to rewrite certain parts of the Sil, ex: the role of Galadriel, so sometimes it makes me wonder about her and other topics in the quenta.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

See the **principles** thread; wherein this sort of question is, I am almost certain, addressed in almost complete detail.

The latest Source text[s] is always the default text. QS 77/99 is only used when it can arguably be said to be a necessary improvement on the source texts. Doriath may prove to be our source text for that chapter, along with some modifications needed from Wanderings of Hurin.

The chapter 'Of Aule and Yavanna' might be an example where we would use the chapter already conflated in 77/99 from the Anaxartamel and [I think] the Annals of Aman [WotJ].

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote