The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
Nenuial

Shield a troll?

i have a question about the fotr when arwen first appears and frodo is suffering from his cut...theres this big fat thing, kind of like a sumo wresteler (sorry for the spelling) in the background and i was wondering what it is. my guess is that its one of the trolls that bilbo met that in the hobbit. what do u guys think?<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Nenuial ]
Old 03-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is one of the three trolls from "The Hobbit." In the film Bilbo talks about it to the hobbit children at the party. They were turned to stone as they argued over how to cook the dwarves and Bilbo as they lost track of the time as they argued (with a lil bit of help from Gandalf). When the sun rose POOF they turned to stone!<P>On the extended DVD Sam remarks "Look my Frodo, its Bilbo's trolls!" As Frodo lays in pain.<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what? his beloved Frodo is dying and Sam is sat there humming and admiring the scenery? nice...
Old 03-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #4
Nenuial

Shield

man i really need to get the extended dvd...<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Nenuial ]
Old 03-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> what? his beloved Frodo is dying and Sam is sat there humming and admiring the scenery? nice... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Watch the scene, then judge it.<P>H.C.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Yes, actually! Sam gets out a flask of miruvor and starts singing, "Old Troll sat alone on his seat of stone, and munched and mumbled a bare old bone..."<P>Oh, wait...
Old 03-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #7
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

I noticed that! I thought it was weird. Did I spell that right? I hate that word. I read at a high level and I don't even know how to spell weird. Sad isn't it?
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:54 PM   #8
Erunno of Mirkwood

Tolkien

Suillinan!<BR>See the extended DVD ladies and gentlemen, it's an amazing film and seems like a completely different one at that. <BR>Maer Tinnu
Old 03-07-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the background there are actually 3 trolls.[the hobbit tells of this]<P>~Burzdol~
Old 03-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I think it's one of the great touches in the extended DVD for them to come across William, Burt and Tom. It's one of those moments from the book that has been added into the extended version in what I see as an acknowledgment (olive branch? ) to the fans:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The sun was now high, and it shone down through the half-stripped branches of the trees, and lit the clearing with bright patches of light. They halted suddenly on the edge, and peered through the tree-trunks, holding their breath. There stood the trolls: three large trolls. One was stooping, and the other two stood staring at him.<P>Strider walked forward unconcernedly. "Get up old stone!" he said, and broke his stick upon the stooping troll.<P>Nothing happened. There was a gasp of astonishment from the hobbits, and then even Frodo laughed. "Well!" he said. "We are forgetting our family history! These must be the very three that were caught by Gandalf, quarrelling over the right way to cook thirteen dwarves and one hobbit." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It would have been even better in the film if this moment of slight tension, after Pippin has come racing back in a state of agitation warning of three trolls ahead, had been included.