The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 06:10 AM   #1
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Where have the rings gone?

Okay first I find it really strange that you can see Nenya on Galadriel's hand but never see Vilya or Narya on Elrond's or Gandalf's. Then of cause what happened to Galadriel and Elrond's wedding ring. They're both married so what happened to the rings! They should both have simple golden band rings on the left hand as is said in HoME ten. Why show the rings of power which can be hidden and not the normal wedding rings?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think the simple answer is that LOTR (the Alan Lee-illustrated centenary version, appendices included) is really the only book that was consulted for the movie, although to be fair it was consulted heavily. I for one didn't know about the wedding rings - thanks for bringing it up! Vilya and Narya are never shown in the LOTR until the end, so I think PJ was correct in not showing them.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 AM   #3
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

The rings of power were hidden from all sight during the quest of the ring. Only when the One Ring is destroyed the elven rings are to be visible. <BR>In the film, Nenya is visible to Frodo only, since he bore the One Ring (Note: Sauron only needed the One Ring in order to see the Three Rings). Futhermore in Return of the King: The Grey Havens, it clearly states that Gandalf wore his ring openly:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>As he turned and came towards them Frodo saw that Gandalf now wore the ring openly on his hand the Third Ring, Narya the Great, and the stone upon it was red as fire <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Another quote about the other two rings, Vilya and Nenya are also stated in Return of the King: The Grey Havens<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elrond wore a mantle of grey and a star upon his forehead, and a silver harp was in hand, and upon his finger was a ring of gold with a great blue stone, Vilya, mightiest of the Three. But Galadriel sat upon a white palfrey and was robed all in glimmering white, like clouds about the moon; for she herself seemed to shine with a soft light. On her finger was Nenya, the ring wrought of mithril, that bore a single white stone flickering like a frosty star. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So voluntarily, Peter Jackson will indeed leave the Three elven rings until Return of the King, since they are visible only then throughout the trilogy. Of the wedding rings i do not know, so you raise a valid point unless somebody else with more knowledge can explain it.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

Elves took tradition very seriously, living for thousands of years one would think they had too. they never removed their wedding ring. In HoME X there is a huge essay on traditions amoung the elves. It says that engagement they gave each other silver band rings. Then at the wedding these were swapped back and treasured by the other. In replacement they got gold band rings. In which case elves that are married need silver rings on a chain and a gold ring on the left hand. But none of these are visible in the movie!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:05 AM   #5
Iargwath
Wight

Silmaril

Wow that is very interesting. I never knew that. What is the book called (that contained this information)?

My M-e Forum
Old 01-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #6
arelendil
Wight

Silmaril

History of middle earth ten - Morgoth's ring!<BR>It has a really interesting essay called traditions and customs amoung the eldar or something like that. Its my favourite HoME!!
Old 01-03-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elrond married Celebrain! Arwen is Elronds daughter, and Galadriel is her grandmother! Plus, Galadriel is married to Celebrain, and Gandalf doesnt even have a ring, he is a wizard, not an elf!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf doe to have a ring! he has a ring of power!<P>Not oly is there no wedding rings, but what happened to Celebrain? Why do we never hear of her?
Old 01-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that arelendil was suggesting that Elrond and Galadriel were married to <B>each other</B> , just that they were married. That is interesting about the wedding rings though. I haven't read any of HoME X, I may have to get that one next.<P>Celebrian was injured by orcs (while travelling through the Misty Mountains?) and left Middle Earth so that she could be healed in the Undying Lands. As far as I can remember, it happened well before the events of LotR.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:52 AM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and Gandalf doesnt even have a ring, he is a wizard, not an elf!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gandalf does have an elven ring of power. Even though he is a wizard, he still bore the ring of fire Narya (one of the three elven rings).<BR>And i'll have to check out that HoMe book arelendil, sounds very interesting

My M-e Forum
Old 01-04-2003, 02:59 PM   #11
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa, My bad, thanks for correcting me guys!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #12
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> galadriel is married to Celebrain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahhhh, don't you mean Celeborn
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote