The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2003, 10:23 AM   #81
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>how many holidays do you Americans get?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not enough. We get a day off for Columbus day, Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday (Feb. I think), about a week and a half off for the winter holidays and New Year's, a little less than a week for Thanksgiving (in November), Labor Day (September), and Memorial Day (May). I think that's all we take off for, but we also celebrate Verterans' Day and Presidents' Day without taking school off. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>9-hour Lord of the Rings Movie Marathon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, when you think about it, it could be a good deal longer than that. If you're watching the Extended Editions of each, you could add another hour or two onto the Marathon. <P>Not that that's a bad thing.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #82
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>you could add another hour or two onto the Marathon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah yes. It's sure to be glorious. <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #83
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You mean you get a day off to celebrate Columbus finding America??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Actually, where I live we don't. But then again, unlike arianrod, I get President's Day off. And then I get two weeks off in the winter, one week in the spring, and several other days off spread throughout the year, called Teacher's In Service Day (which means there's a slight chance I might have school off Oct. 20, 2005 and I'll actually be able to participate in the marathon).<P>But don't think I'm lucky. For me, school starts tomorrow, which means I can't watch TTT until the end of the week.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #84
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I am thinking about starting another thread just for the Marathon. That way people who read sigs and/or messages that we leave will be able to find info on it easier than they might otherwise. <BR><B>What do you think?</B><P><I>Be iest lin...</I><P><B><I>Frodo Lives!</I></B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:31 PM   #85
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am thinking about starting another thread just for the Marathon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was thinking about doing the same, but wasn't sure how the mods would react to it. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>one week in the spring, and several other days off spread throughout the year, called Teacher's In Service Day <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah yes, forgot about those.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>which means there's a slight chance I might have school off Oct. 20, 2005 and I'll actually be able to participate in the marathon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That would be wonderful! Let's keep our fingers crossed!<P><I>Frodo most certainly <B>does</B> live!</I>
Old 08-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #86
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I was thinking about doing the same, but wasn't sure how the mods would react to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd almost decided to do it. Why would they object? I might put it in the Novices and Newcomers section... Would it fit better there?<P><B>Frodo Lives!</B>

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:59 PM   #87
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Why would they object?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't rightly know, but the mods just kinda scare me and I never want to upset them. I think it would be fine to start one though.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I might put it in the Novices and Newcomers section... Would it fit better there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dunno... that or Middle Earth Mirth would be good choices I think. But maybe N&N would be the best bet.<P><I>Frodo most certainly <B>does</B> live!</I>
Old 08-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #88
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I think the new thread would be quite at home here in the movies, actually, although if you wanted to give it a fun atmosphere then ME Mirth might be a good idea. I don't think the mods would mind. As to holidays, we also have Easter/Spring Break. Brits get a lot more holiday time than we do, don't they? (I used to go to a British international school where we got about twice as many holidays as we have here in the US). But something around Oct. 20... I suppose all anyone can really hope for is a Teacher In-Service Day, or perhaps Mid-Term (the 20th is about the time for that, isn't it?).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #89
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Okay, <B>please continue any discussion as to the Golden Ring Marathon in the thread I will begin as soon as I finish this post.</B><BR>The original topic of this thread is still open though. So lets please continue that discussion as well! <p>[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-30-2003, 08:39 PM   #90
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002514" TARGET=_blank>Link to Golden Ring Marathon Thread...</A><P><B>Frodo lives!</B><p>[ August 30, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
Old 09-02-2003, 12:22 PM   #91
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Thanks for posting the link, <B>Arianrod</B>!

Will you pay attention?