The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 PM   #41
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When I go to Middle Earth, I want to be in ME, not doing the time warp again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well said, dininziliel. I know how you feel.<P>I rather liked his stunt on the troll in the first movie, but I'm not too crazy about the shield sliding in the second. Just the way that it's done makes it so obvious that it was just thrown in there and really didn't belong. I mean, it kinda took you out of the actual battle to show Legolas sliding down a couple of stairs... and the music to it sounds pretty cheesy. I dunno, it just didn't do anything for me.<P>And about the whole mounting horse stunt... that was rather eye-catching, but I highly doubt it was done by the actor (or a stunt man). And as din said, it took away from the movie and made everyone sit there and ask themselves 'was that CGI?!' *shakes head* I trust PJ to a certain extent... but I'm worried that he might get a little... well, carried away, shall we say?, with the stunts. Hey, it could happen to anyone.<p>[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:24 AM   #42
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The mounting horse stunt was CGI, PJ said. Well I found it blindingly obvious from the start, but never mind. I personally liked the stunts, but there had better not be too many from now on.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:01 PM   #43
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Triple somersault onto the back of a rampaging Oliphaunt from where he proceeds to shoot 100 Orcs with only 20 arrows while simultaneously bringing the beast under control just before it flattens Gimli, thus provoking numerous one-liners on how much shorter the Dwarf would have become. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm, having seen the trailer that's just come out, this now seems oddly prescient of me. OK, not the Gimli thing. But the trailer clearly shows Legolas dangling from an Oliphaunt, possibly just prior to his climbing, or even leaping, onto its back.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:22 PM   #44
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That would be this <A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/movie/preview/images/rotk_trailer01_128.jpg" TARGET=_blank>pic</A> eh, Saucepan?<P>Ride 'em Leggy! <P>H.C.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:40 PM   #45
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Here's my guess: Legolas climbs up the Oliphant, kills its occupants or does something cool, maybe renders it a mortal wound, then slides down the trunk (on a shield?)! That would be a good combination...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:10 PM   #46
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I think he climbs up to the underside of the Oliphant, blasts open a hatchplate with his glowing sword, tosses in a bomb and drops to the ground.<P>There are then some flashing light inside the Oliphant and it's head explodes.<P> <P>H.C.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:34 AM   #47
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

That is great H.C.! *laugh* <P>And then I suppose one of the nazgul's flying beasts will come crashing into the ground and be squished by another Oliphaunt...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 PM   #48
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

No, no, he Merry and Pippin would have to hijack it and go shooot another Oliphaunt about to squish Faramir.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #49
Gimpel the Fool
Pile O'Bones

Gimpel the Fool has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gimpel the Fool
Silmaril

I find that one of the interesting things about the war scenes is when they pull off those outrageous stunts! I happened to get a kick out of Legolas shield-surfing, even though I do admit it was pretty cheesy.

"As epic as you are, we must adjourn this meeting and return in the future"
Gimpel the Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:59 PM   #50
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think he climbs up to the underside of the Oliphant, blasts open a hatchplate with his glowing sword, tosses in a bomb and drops to the ground.<BR>There are then some flashing light inside the Oliphant and it's head explodes.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent, really excellent. But it might look a tad out of place in ME. <P>But a combination of the shield surfing and the Oliphaunt riding would certainly be interesting...muahahahaha <P>I can't wait to see what happens. Interesting how that wild guess appears to be coming true
Old 09-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #51
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think he climbs up to the underside of the Oliphant, blasts open a hatchplate with his glowing sword, tosses in a bomb and drops to the ground.<BR>There are then some flashing light inside the Oliphant and it's head explodes.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oooh, don't forget that Arwen gets shot with an arrow... <BR>And there would of course be constant scene changes to Aragorn fighting Sauron. *cough*
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #52
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No, no, he Merry and Pippin would have to hijack it and go shooot another Oliphaunt about to squish Faramir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He, he.<P>I also her that some Oliphants are killed by rolling and swing logs as well as trip wires.<P> <P>Okay, I'm getting carried away aren't I? <P>H.C.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 PM   #53
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I also her that some Oliphants are killed by rolling and swing logs as well as trip wires.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ROTK meets Star Wars. Next we'll have ringwraiths flying into Minas Tirith to try to give it's weakest point Black Breath, and Denethor will turn out to be Aragorn's father (or Legolas'! I can just see it!)<BR>

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:57 AM   #54
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Oh yes! Legolas finds out Denethor is his father...cut the scene to Sauron fighting Aragorn...and Sauron says 'I am your father'...Aragorn might just faint with the shock. If he isn't mortally wounded by then anyway....
Old 10-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #55
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

COOL!!!<P>When Legolas was surfing down the stairs, did anyone get an imge of him snowboarding down a mountainside? No? Must be just me then. Me and my peculiar mind with their strange fantasies!<P>Mmmmmmm, Legolas snowboarding down a mountain. Now that'll be a sight to see!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #56
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The last scene will be Legolas riding off into the horizon, then him turning around on his saddle and saying the immortal words:<BR> "I will be back..."
Old 10-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #57
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Immortal words? I hadn't heard them before... Would someone please enlighten me???<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Mmmmmmm, Legolas snowboarding down a mountain. Now that'll be a sight to see!<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, I suppose anyone with the knowhow could put Legolas' wig on the short video clip of Orlando snowboarding down that mountain...
Old 10-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #58
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's true.<P>You haven't heard "I'll be back"!?<p>[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Feared Half-Elf ]

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 PM   #59
Avaniel

Sting

I think that the new stunt would be cool to see, but I do have to agree with most of you in saying that some of Legolas' earlier stunts were VERY cheesy. The one with him hopping off of the troll, totally digital. I kinda liked the horse one, though. The stair sliding wasn't all that bad, but it could have been left out.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #60
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It looked like (in the trailer) Legolas was 'stunt-izing' on or close to an Oliphant...but I'm sure that's probably been said roughly a million times since the trailer came out.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:39 PM   #61
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The one with him hopping off of the troll, totally digital. I kinda liked the horse one, though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's not entirely true. Orlando was in that shot, he was only shooting at a crate, according to the special extended stuff.<P>By the way, I don't know whether you all have already discovered the true answer, but I know for 100 percent what the stunt will be. *SPOILER*<P><BR>According to Aintitcoolnews, Legolas single-handedly takes down an Oliphant. Most of us (including me, if you check earlier in the thread. ) surmised this already, but I figured you'd want confirmation.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:32 AM   #62
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Ok, I hadn't expected single-handedly...that's pretty impressive!<P>Nope, Feared Half-Elf, I fear I have not heard that...um...immortal line. Where is it from?
Old 11-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #63
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

According to my sources, the oliphaunt is pierced with many arrows, Leggy-boy climbs up them nimbly, kills everyone on board, shoots the Oliphaunt in the back of the skull and then <I>surfs</I> down the trunk. Gimli then tells him "That counts as one".<P>GAG ME WITH A SPOON, PEOPLE!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #64
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> According to my sources, the oliphaunt is pierced with many arrows, Leggy-boy climbs up them nimbly, kills everyone on board, shoots the Oliphaunt in the back of the skull and then surfs down the trunk. Gimli then tells him "That counts as one". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Whoa, if that's like the mother of all prissy elf superman stunts. No offense, but I would rather he didn't do that...
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:27 PM   #65
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Unfortunately, I believe that he does, peonydeepdelver. <P>My original prediction seems tame by comparison ... <P>Edit: Actually, the <I>really</I> silly thing is that he apparently uses the arrows in the Oliphaunt as some kind of ladder ... strong arrows, huh? <p>[ 7:29 PM December 03, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM   #66
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Triple somersault onto the back of a rampaging Oliphaunt from where he proceeds to shoot 100 Orcs with only 20 arrows while simultaneously bringing the beast under control just before it flattens Gimli, thus provoking numerous one-liners on how much shorter the Dwarf would have become.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds like a possibility . I figured (along with others) that they would have a Legolas/Oliphaunt stunt, but why do they have to have him take it down single-handedly? (presuming that they will...)
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #67
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> (presuming that they will...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>... oh, they will.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #68
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

So it won't all be a tear-jerking journey...that is gonna make me laugh!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Edit: Actually, the really silly thing is that he apparently uses the arrows in the Oliphaunt as some kind of ladder ... strong arrows, huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, if he can walk on snow... Well, Orlando is skinny enough, wouldn't you agree? I expect he'd be light enough to walk on the arrows...lol
Old 12-06-2003, 05:54 PM   #69
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> GAG ME WITH A SPOON, PEOPLE! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oddwen, you never said it better (except perhaps the hilarious "I have happened" from Denethor). I'm really hoping this won't be in there, and really suspecting that it will be. Why is Legolas reduced to stunt-izing? I understand that he's probably better for such things than Gimli, but still, can't he just fight on the ground? Even though I'm not a Legolas fan, I think it's kind of sad that the stunts seem to be about all he does in the movies. Ah, well. I wonder if Sam will have any stunts in his Shelob battle (other than those prescribed by the book)? Not that I would mind that too much, but the possibilities are awfully slim.<p>[ 6:55 PM December 06, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #70
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Saucepan, I can't believe that some people thought you were joking! The joke will be on us Tolkien fans again, I'm afraid. As soon as we see Legolas jumping up onto an Oliphaunt to despatch it, all their power and magnificence will be lost. PJ may as well have left them out, after that. I much prefer the story of Derufin and Duilin who were trampled to death leading their archers close to shoot at the beasts' eyes.<P>Still, this does hold true to my belief that they're simply AT-ATs with big ears. Maybe Orly latches onto the bottom with a rope attached to an arrow, swings up, cuts a hole in it with his knife, throws in a grenade and then leaps to safety. Now <B>that's</B> action!<P>But no, I think what we're bound to see more of is unrealistic elf shenanigans. PJ needs to learn the limits of computer animation and not over-extend himself so much. Gollum was fantastic, but that ridiculous move of Legolas swinging up onto the horse was, well, completely unbelievable at best. A good viewing of the Harry Potter films would have done wonders for the LOTR ones. <P>Some directors use special effects to enhance a story. PJ uses a story as an excuse to have special effects.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:09 AM   #71
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An oliphant stunt seems for sure.<P>What about another one in the Umbar ships, or are these not featured in the movie?<P>Legolas standing dangling from the sails and firing away at a low flying Nazgul which crash lands in the river to the delight of the assembly.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:08 PM   #72
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Saucepan, I can't believe that some people thought you were joking! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought I was joking! <P>I can see why these sequences are included, though. They go down well with a <I>certain</I> type of film fan. I hated Orli's shield-surfing and found his impossible leap onto horseback irritating. But I have to admit that I am quite looking forward to this sequence.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #73
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I rather liked Legolas's horse jumping sequence. The shield surf was a tad annoying, though.<P>I doubt Legolas's jumping onto and dismembering a large pachyderm will affect my view of the <I>Return of the King</I> movie in any way.