The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Ardeth Bay
Newly Deceased

Ardeth Bay has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Army of the Dead

Wouldn't it have been smarter if aragorn commisioned the oathbreakers to fight @ the pellenor fields (like the movies) rather than just @ pelargir (like the books).
Because they would have insured victory.
The forces of Gondor still could have lost-aragorn only had 30 men with him.
Ardeth Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Dead of Erech only owed one battle. Book-Aragorn cares about honour, and he could not honourably drive them further.

Besides, if the Dead fight at the Pelennor, the battle is as superficial and traduced as it is in the films; the Rohirrim pointless, Imrahil is pointless, Eowyn and Merry are pointless...it gelds everything in sight.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What Anguirel said .

And Aragorn (in the book) had about 1,000 men with him, there were
30 rangers, but also people from South Gondor.

There's no question PJ foolishly overused the green slime in ROTK.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Eowyn and Merry are pointless
...I don't think so - whose to say the king of the dead and his troops would have any effect on the witch king? it was because he overlooked a silly little hobbit - that was the may reason he died. with a few hundred dead after him he could well have taken off on his fell beast!
Quote:
There's no question PJ foolishly overused the green slime in ROTK.
What does it matter that the 'green slime' joined in. They didn't turn up until late in the party - theoden and co had done a good job. to me, the Dead were there to mop up any orcs left standing - we see all the main 'goodies' in battle, including aragorn and co, before we see the Dead finish off the stragglers - That's the way I see it, anyway.

We would just need to have ANOTHER battle scene at Pelagir, and then no doubt we would have people moaning about the fact that we have too many battles in this film. Jackson can't win with some people one way or the other........

PS I would have loved to have seen the Dead fight in pelagir and have Live people help in the battle at pellenor. but I think Jackson did it this way to stop a slight anti-climax to the dead just being used to help Aragorn get a few boats - we would then have to slow the scenes down to have him thanking the Dead and freeing them from their curse, thus slowing the film down, and then off goes Aragorn to have another fight - i just don't think it would have worked (and Ill use the most used word in these movies forums) PACING wise.............

Last edited by Essex; 10-06-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Ardeth Bay
Newly Deceased

Ardeth Bay has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
What does it matter that the 'green slime' joined in. They didn't turn up until late in the party - theoden and co had done a good job. to me, the Dead were there to mop up any orcs left standing - we see all the main 'goodies' in battle, including aragorn and co, before we see the Dead finish off the stragglers - That's the way I see it, anyway.
I know that it kind of would make everything else pointless, but woudn't Aragon not know the full situation of the battle itself and want them along to provide a guarenteed victory

The fight at Pelargir would have been amazing...or even the sight of the city itself. When the ships are taken (EE) there isn't even a hint of a city in the backround, just a few burning farmhouses.
Ardeth Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
This thread may interest you: Aragorn's mistake concerning the army raised from the Paths of the Dead
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote