The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield Merry and Pippin in Edoras?

I'm sorry if this is old news to some of you, or if a thread has already been made on this, but I couldn't find one. As I was looking through a gallery of RotK pics, I came across <A HREF="http://www.ninecompanions.net/gallery_pics/rotkpics/rotk_fellowship_1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>THIS PIC</A> that had the three hunters (Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli), Gandalf, and Theoden standing in the Golden Hall in Edoras. I didn't think too much of it, until I saw Merry and Pippin in the lower left courner. Is it just me, or are they not supposed to be there?<P>According to the book, Theoden's company traveled from Isengard with the two hobbits and stopped for the night at the hill of Dol Baran on the river Isen. During the stop, Pippin took and used the Palantír. Gandalf woke up and took him immediatly to Minas Tirith, leaving Merry behind to go on with Theoden. Pippin doesn't see Edoras until the Ring is destroyed and the hobbits begin their travel back to the Shire. This picture can't be from then because Theoden is present. Unless PJ cast the plot completely out the window, Theoden would be dead by the time Pippin passed through Rohan.<P>What, then, does this picture mean? In my opinion, it means that Pippin's Palantír scene was pitched and left on the cutting room floor. I hope you all weren't holding your breath for it, but I know I was certainly looking forward to it. However, it could also mean that Pip used the stone, but Gandalf decided not to take him to Minas Tirith right away (despite the Nazgûl flying and screaming above them). Or it could mean something completely different. Any thoughts?<p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

PJ, PJ, PJ....Tsk tsk...he better not have taken out the palanir scene! Gah!!! Maybe its just a... umm....well, my first thought was; maybe its not rohan, maybe its gondor and that's Pippin and...that dudes son, what's his name..but that does look awfully like rohan...GAH!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 AM   #3
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*eyes widen* WOAH! OMG, you are right... Lucky i wasnt holding my breath then.. still it is interesting none the less.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:29 AM   #4
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Perhaps Pippin looks into the palantir AT Edoras, or maybe Gandalf takes the hobbits there after the palantir incident and before taking Pippin?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:20 AM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Perhaps Pippin looks into the palantir AT Edoras <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Quite, Oddwen. That seems the most logical explanation to me. Gandalf, Theoden, Aragorn and co travel from Helm's Deep to Isengard, where they meet up with Merry and Pippin, confront Saruman and gain the Palantir. They then return to Edoras, where Pippin looks into the Palantir. Gandalf then departs with Pippin to Minas Tirith and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli head off for the Paths of the Dead, leaving Merry with Theoden and the Rohirrim at Edoras.<P>Given that Jackson has a great Edoras set, it makes sense for him to use that for the Pippin-Palantir scene, rather than set it in some tent in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That pic actually looks like a scene from TTT. I think the two to the left are servants, not in fact, Merry and Pippin. I could be wrong, though, don't quote me on it.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I've stared and stared at the lower left of that picture, and all I see is an empty chair. No humanoid forms... and no secret passageway to Zurg's source of power. (You know, the shadows to the left... c'mon... laugh.)<P>Anyway, it may just be my monitor, but I honestly cannot see Merry or Pippin in that picture.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I've stared and stared at the lower left of that picture, and all I see is an empty chair. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You haven't installed a program to block out pictures of young, innocent, but ultimately heroic, Hobbits have you Diamond? <P>For as sure as Hobbits like pipeweed and beer, they are there to the bottom left of the picture, with Pippin sitting on the chair and Merry standing next to him. The big white banner hanging from the ceiling is pointing straight down at them.<P>And, to my mind, the two figures are definately Merry and Pippin. Although we can't see their faces, their hair and clothing is spot on. And the seated figure (Pippin) looks to me to have Hobbit feet.<p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 07-04-2003, 01:59 AM   #9
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Perhaps Pippin looks into the palantir AT Edoras [...]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A very good theory, Oddwen. I hadn't thought of that before.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And, to my mind, the two figures are definately Merry and Pippin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, Saucepanman, there's no doubt in my mind that those figures are Merry and Pippin. Who else would have those charming hobbit haircuts?
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #10
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

It is Merry and Pippin no doubt about that... If PJ messed up the story line in rotk I'll kill him!!!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote