The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield Another added Legolas stunt for RotK?

I subscribe to the British 'Sugar' magazine and this month's issue featured an interview with Orlando Bloom. One statement during the interview caught me by surprise, and provided a small spoiler for the third movie...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><BR>(Interviewer)<I>Have you been doing any more work on </I> Lord of the Rings: Return of the King<I>?</I><BR>(Orli)Yes - we'd already shot most of it, but I went back to New Zealand to do a bit more material 'cause the director wanted to expand the scenes with Legolas. In the first movie there were these little movements where I was running over the back of the cave troll, and in the second I was sliding down the stairs. He had a great idea where we <B>combine all that stuff for the third movie</B> - it's a great moment for me and for the film, and I think you'll enjoy it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm... interesting... <P>Any thoughts?
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Sting

Hmm Sliding down a trolls back.<BR> <BR>Man id love to see that
Old 08-31-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Ha. How corny, cheesy, cheap, gaudy, hollywood and non-canonical...<P>I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's rather expected. Legolas has no real use except to add the wow factor to the fighting skills. He'd be no use unless they had him flying, or triple somersaulting through fiery hoops, or whatever.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He'd be no use unless they had him flying, or triple somersaulting through fiery hoops, or whatever.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>All while delivering elaborate one-shot-hits and knocking out an entire orc population single-handedly, of course. Sadly enough, Meela, you're completely right. His main purpose in the third movie will be action-filled eyecandy.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

...Which isn't so bad considering he was hardly in the third book at all. I mean, seriously, he did all but disappear in the battle. Tolkien mentioned his arrival but that was it. It was all Imrahil this and Imrahil that, afterwards. Whatever PJ does with Legolas in the movie, he's on his own, because Tolkien apparently got bored with him.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It was all Imrahil this and Imrahil that, afterwards. Whatever PJ does with Legolas in the movie, he's on his own, because Tolkien apparently got bored with him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>A good point. Maybe PJ will give Imrahil's part to Legolas? I personally doubt Imrahil will be introduced in the film (which is sad), so perhaps Peter's going to do what he did for Arwen and sacrific one role to expand another's?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:31 AM   #8
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eyecandy? Interesting word...yeah, I read that thing in Sugar too. I've heard some rumours about what there might be, but I won't post them here if you don't want any possible spoilers. It's a shame Legolas is only there to look out for the rest and make random comments, and make an advance on Elf-Dwarf relations (ok, so that is quite important), if only because he's so good looking...oops, did I say that out loud?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:52 AM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bah! What's he going to do in RotK? Tap-dance on top of a troll's back at the Fields of Cormallen? Legolas will, as said before, be simple eye-candy in the third movie. Slash, kick, shoot, slash, STOP!! Pose dramatically! Slash, kick, shoot, slash...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #10
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't suppose he has anything better to do.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Slash, kick, shoot, slash, STOP!! Pose dramatically! Slash, kick, shoot, slash...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Congratulations, Horse-Maiden of the Shire, you've just summed up Lego's script for all three movies. I'm just curious as to what he'll be doing this time around... tapdancing sounds interesting. Wonder if he could pull it off?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:26 PM   #12
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Speaking of tap dancing...did anyone see that 'Making of the Two Towers' program that was on Sky or something a while go? To see Bernard Hill tap dancing down the steps of his trailer thingy in his costume was indeed a sight to behold.... <P>Ahh poor Leggy...he did help a little bit...if only to get Orlando Bloom's career going! And to shoot all those nasty little orcs...if I remember correctly he shot an orc that was about to kill Aragorn, so that was something. Do not understimate the power of the Leggy!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #13
Carromeniel

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing him do more stunts. He's really only there to do awesome stunts and look cool, anyway.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #14
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Bernard Hill dancing down the steps of his trailer wearing tight black pants just scared me, mind you, it just scared me!!!!<P>I think that PJ will probably leave Imrahil in there, just as a sort of "pretty face," and give the majority of his part to Legolas.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #15
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope to see Legolas's role expanded in Return of the King from what it has been in the past two movies. In the Fellowship movie, I thought he was interesting and I hoped to see his role expanded in the Two Towers. Unfortunately, Professor Tolkien never gave him a defined and interesting personality so Peter Jackson and Orlando Bloom had slim pickings to work with. I personally think Orlando Bloom is a better actor than he is given credit for and I hope that his role will not simply be reduced to acrobatic stunts and serious-faced observations about the obvious.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #16
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't expect to see much different from Legolas then what we've already got. At best we'll get a bit of his longing for the sea, or perhaps him and Gimli offering tours of Fangorn and the Glitering Caves respectively (though I think that might be fodder for an Extended Edition).<P>As for some more Legolas stunts, you've got to know they're coming and speaking personally, I've enjoyed them. One or two per movie is fine with me. If I we're PJ, I couldn't resist dreaming up something with him and the Battle of Pelargir. Legolas on a tallship, there's got to be something he can do with that.<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #17
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I say bring on the stunts! Yeah yeah I know none of it is in the book but so far I like the flying shield boarding Legolas. I don't think his role will be all slash, kick, shoot, slash, STOP!! Pose dramatically! Slash, kick, shoot, slash in ROTK. I kind of doubt that PJ will show Legolas dwelling in Ithilin (I hope I spelled that right) with his father's people but I feel that Legolas will be portrayed as an important ally to Gondor and the reason why elves and men are still united, I hope. Although I am still waiting for him to get credit as a Prince but if it hasn't happened by now I doubt it will happen at all. This movie is giving me a lot of doubts so I wish it would hurry up and get here so I won't have to doubt anymore.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #18
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't mind the cave troll back ride part but the shield riding was one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen in a movie. Can't say i'm exactly jumping for joy here.
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:12 PM   #19
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Well, Sauron, be thankful it wasn't in slow motion!!! It was a very quick moment. I personally think the stunts are very amusing, so it'll be interesting to see what has been concocted for the final part. Oh and Silmiel, it's spelt 'Ithilien'. I wonder how many new dresses Arwen will have...and whether they will have startling colours, like her dress with the blood-red sleeves. That was a cool dress indeed.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #20
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I can barely remember Legolas being in RotK. I can recall his eccentric moment, when he spouts on about the sea then skips off down a hill with his hands behind his back singing. <P>Well, that's how I pictured it in my head. <P>But in the 3rd movie I can just picture him slashing away at orcs and all the fangirls simultaneously swooning. <P>I don't expect his role to be expanded. I think he'll be a background elf, looking out and shooting things mainly.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #21
Elentári
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I can barely remember Legolas being in RotK. I can recall his eccentric moment, when he spouts on about the sea then skips off down a hill with his hands behind his back singing. <BR>Well, that's how I pictured it in my head. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> I didn't exactly picture it like that...but I can just imagine Orlando doing that for some reason <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But in the 3rd movie I can just picture him slashing away at orcs and all the fangirls simultaneously swooning. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, I daresay...me included! But if Aragorn does anything...swoonsome...is that a word? No, probably not! There will be fangirls swooning over him too. For whatever reason. He's too...covered in blood and sweaty for my taste!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Triple somersault onto the back of a rampaging Oliphaunt from where he proceeds to shoot 100 Orcs with only 20 arrows while simultaneously bringing the beast under control just before it flattens Gimli, thus provoking numerous one-liners on how much shorter the Dwarf would have become.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:48 AM   #23
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, I wish that would happen! That would be so cool!!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:58 AM   #24
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the stunts in the other movies are pretty cool, and they make the films a bit more fun, pulls you out of that the-world-is-going-to-end-and-our-only-hope-is-with-a-puny-little-hobbit mode. I think watching the stunts will be fun, but I hope PJ doesn't get too carried away...
Old 09-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #25
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Oh yes, that would be the greatest stunt ever! But seriously, yes, I think the worst thing would be if PJ got too carried away and made every aspect ridiculously over the top...like Matrix Reloaded, which seemed to revel in its phoneyness.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:59 AM   #26
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

The Saucepan Man's scenario actually sounded kind of cool and kind of funny, although very parody-like (no doubt on purpose). The stunts Legolas has done aren't too bad in my mind, and they are visually appealing, even though shield-boarding is highly improbable. But I sincerely hope it doesn't turn out Matrix-y, like Elentari suggested. I can see it now... orc shoots at Legolas, Legolas dodges the arrow in slow motion, he administers a karate kick to another attacking orc, and silmultaneously manages to shoot the original orc. Then he sprouts wings and flys over the battlefield to help Aragorn, all the while sprinkling poisonous pixie dust on the Haradrim. (Okay, so I got a little carried away ).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>thus provoking numerous one-liners on how much shorter the Dwarf would have become.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ah, now if only PJ was as good as Legolas <P> If they have Legolas slid down a cave trolls back ( ), here's to hoping they make it a bit less obviously computer-generated than they made his jumping off the Cave Trolls back stunt.<BR>*Estel sips his goblet of...Pepsi Blue.<p>[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #28
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Triple somersault onto the back of a rampaging Oliphaunt... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't forget the inverted pas de chat, Saucy.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:39 AM   #29
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I reckon the eye-candy by Legolas promised in the ROTK will take place on the pirate ships. Can you not picture Orlando swinging from a rope down the mast of the first ships as it sails into view of the army of Mordor in front of Minas Tirith... SPECTACULAR
Old 09-05-2003, 12:50 PM   #30
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Mmm delicious young Legolas.<P>I mean, <I>old</I> Legolas. <P>Every movie needs its sex appeal, and I am not ashamed to say I enjoy it in the guise of Mistah Bloom. <P>Saucy, you're just jealous. Admit it. You want the blond locks and the screaming girls and the tight little pants that show off your butt (a butt like granite, mind you) just as much as the next bloke.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:46 PM   #31
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>proceeds to shoot 100 Orcs with only 20 arrows while simultaneously bringing the beast under control just before it flattens Gimli, thus provoking numerous one-liners on how much shorter the Dwarf would have become.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughing* Ai, <I>that</I> is good, Saucepan Man... <P>Am I the only one who thinks "Movie Legolas" *swoons <I>sarcastically</I> before almost puking* is a bit <B>overrated</B>?

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:47 PM   #32
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I reckon the eye-candy by Legolas promised in the ROTK will take place on the pirate ships. Can you not picture Orlando swinging from a rope down the mast of the first ships as it sails into view of the army of Mordor in front of Minas Tirith... SPECTACULAR <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>YES! And then we can combine a bit of Pirates of the Carrabean with Lord of the Rings.(Orli learned all that sword fighting in PotC from LotR)
Old 09-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #33
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Am I the only one who thinks "Movie Legolas" *swoons sarcastically before almost puking* is a bit overrated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Believe me, you're not alone.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #34
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope they don't overcheesify Legolas' stunts. However, I quite enjoyed the shieldboarding thing (snowboarding Elf! he he he!). Remember, Tolkien doesn't say every detail about how someone got where. PJ took a bit of poetic license, which I think is okay--<I>here</I>. Faramir, for example, ruined the movie for me. <BR>I do love Saucepan's idea though. Not to be put in the movie, of course; just as a funny parody thing. My idea from that quote would be that he slides down stairs on his shield, shoots over a parapet onto a cave troll that's pushing a siege tower, and kills it.<BR>But that ship thing sounds wonderful too...Legolas swinging off of mast, red sun in background, comes down fighting with knives out. <BR>To everybody who said he was in the movie just to kill stuff...that's his purpose in the book, too! He's just a sniper (mind you, that's important, but still). Though in the book he does have more depth--mostly expressed through his songs. I wonder if Orlando can sing? (snorts as she imagines him singing "To the Sea!")<BR>But I do think that Orlando's a good actor, and he could have handled a better developed part, if he had been given it.<P>p.s. Bernard Hill's little tap dancing thing was quite frightening for me too.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #35
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Don't forget the inverted pas de chat, Saucy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, but Orli-las isn't a patch on Vogonwë, Diamond. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You want the blond locks and the screaming girls ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Blond locks I can live without, Lush. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ... and the tight little pants that show off your butt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What a scary thought. <P>Ahem! To get back on topic, I don't have any real problem with the odd Orli-stunt. They are not to my taste, but I can appreciate that many viewers will enjoy them. <P>But I really don't like the way he swings himself onto the back of his horse just before the Warg ( ) battle. I slo-mo'd through it on the DVD because I was sure that it was a CGI, but it's difficult to tell. I remain convinced that it is CGI, though, because it just doesn't look humanly (or even elf-ly) possible to me. At some point his whole body twists round in a way that seems to defy anatomy.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 AM   #36
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But I really don't like the way he swings himself onto the back of his horse just before the Warg battle. I slo-mo'd through it on the DVD because I was sure that it was a CGI, but it's difficult to tell. I remain convinced that it is CGI, though, because it just doesn't look humanly (or even elf-ly) possible to me. At some point his whole body twists round in a way that seems to defy anatomy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm almost positive that it was CGI, Saucepan Man. You're right. It <I>isn't</I> humanly possible to do that. He grabs onto the left side of the horse, and you would think by the way his arm was that he was going to swing around the other way, but then as he swings it looks really cartoon-y. They could have done alot better on that part. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But seriously, yes, I think the worst thing would be if PJ got too carried away and made every aspect ridiculously over the top...like Matrix Reloaded, which seemed to revel in its phoneyness.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmm...well, Legolas did suddenly learn the art of snowboarding from one movie to the next, so who knows? Maybe he'll figure out how to defy gravity by the next movie!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #37
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I quite enjoyed the shieldboarding thing (snowboarding Elf! he he he!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I thought that was cool.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But I really don't like the way he swings himself onto the back of his horse just before the Warg battle. I slo-mo'd through it on the DVD because I was sure that it was a CGI, but it's difficult to tell. I remain convinced that it is CGI, though, because it just doesn't look humanly (or even elf-ly) possible to me. At some point his whole body twists round in a way that seems to defy anatomy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Acutally, the very fact that you couldn't tell in a flash wether it was cgi'd or not says mountains. I thought it was acceptable, though over-dramatic (as usual). & the fact that it looked much less cheesy then when Legolas jumped off of the cave troll's back is good news.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #38
Elentári
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> quote:<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Am I the only one who thinks "Movie Legolas" *swoons sarcastically before almost puking* is a bit overrated?<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>Believe me, you're not alone. <P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well...just in the minority <P>And about the getting-on-the-horse thing, yes it was CGI, I read an interview (or saw, can't remember which) with PJ in which he said that when Orli was getting on his horse he fell off and broke a rib (I'm sorry, but as much as I love him, that is <I>pathetic!</I>), so they only had footage of him riding the horse. They had to have a way for him to mount the horse, and that was what they came up with.<BR>Disclaimer- this is from my memory, which is notoriously leaky, so if something I've said is wrong, feel free to correct it.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #39
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stunts ? More stunts ? Yaaaay!!! I just love stunts . I wanna see if I'll be able to do it
Old 09-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #40
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sauron 666 wrote <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I didn't mind the cave troll back ride part but the shield riding was one of the cheesiest things i've ever seen in a movie. Can't say i'm exactly jumping for joy here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>At least there's two of us. And, it seems like consensus here is for a typical, money-sucking, teen-exploiting Hollywood movie. Does no one want to see LotR on the screen? <P>Legolas poking orc with arrow in its eye, then shoot same arrow--yes. Shield-boarding--no. Aragorn cutting off Lurtz's (?) arm then, not wasting a second hacking off his head--yes. And, as much as I gasped at Legolas' defying natural laws of physics getting on that horse it jarred me out of the story and into the very question posted here about effects. So, Legolas' gravity-defying horse-mounting--no.<P>There are some stunts that make one gasp and still fit to serve the story. The others are there to bring in the thrill seekers strictly for the $$$.<P>X-Games and Third Age do not mix. I want to see Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas, not Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan, and Jet Li (although I adore martial arts movies). <P> When I go to Middle Earth, I want to be in ME, not doing the time warp again.