The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #1
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Palantir of Fortune "Minor Works" edition

This is the same as the other Palantir games only with Tolkien works generally outside the Middle-earth materials (Tom Bombadil a marginal exception).
Works could include Roverandom, Farmer Giles, Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Leaf by Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major, and perhaps The Father Christmas Letters (which is, in a sense, about 100% quotes). I'm not sure, because of the style, of including The Homecoming of Beorhnoth Beorthelm's Son. If the thread is approved by Saucepan Man he could make the call on including Beorthnoth.

Rules: The quote is a series of blanks which are filled in by letters guessed by players until someone guesses the quote. Whoever guesses correctly gets the thread. You should identify the book the quote is from, and naming the speaker would be nice, unles it would slow things up too much.

To start:

- - - - ' - / - - - / - - - - / - - / - - - - , / - - / - - - - - - / - - - / - - - - / - - / - - - - /
- - - - , / - - - - - / - - - / - - - / - - - - / - - - - / - - / - - - - / - - - / - - - - / - - /

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 08-04-2004 at 06:07 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Ouch! Your asking for some things that are out of print. But I will humor you, and I'll try to get it. A's please
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:34 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Those works are all in print, Perky - I bought them within the last couple of years. I would suggest adding Smith of Wootton Major to the list, since that story is also included in Tales from the Perilous Realm. Great idea, Tuor!

Oh, and I'd like to start off with an S, please.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:07 AM   #4
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Very good idea, Tuor!
E's for me please!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
- - a - ' s / - - e / - s - e / - - / - - - s , / - - / - a - - e - / - - e / - s - e / - - / - - s - /
- - - s , / - - e - e / a - - / - - e / - - s - / - - - s / - - / - - a - / a - e / - e s e - - - - - / - - /

Letters asked: a, s, e.

Smith of Wootton Major added above.

(I just picked up a copy of Roverandom this year. It's an interesting, and very quick, read), as is The Father Christmas Letters (another world from The Homecoming.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Oh, it is? Maybe I couldn't find them because they were too expensive. I'm sure I might be able to get it at the library though...hopefully Anyways, let's get some l's in there please!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

- - a - ' s / - - e / - s l e / - - / - - - s , / - - / - a - - e - / - - e / - s l e / - - / l - s - /
- - - s , / - - e - e / a l l / - - e / l - s - / - - - s / - - / - - a - / a - e / - e s e - - - - - / - - /
l - - - - .

Letters asked: seal.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Lostregiel
Pile O'Bones

Lostregiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Lostregiel Send a message via Yahoo to Lostregiel
Great idea, I love this game.
I´ll say the letter: O

but the way, can we ask another letter later, or just one per quote?

¡Ay por Lothlorien! Será una vida alejada de los mellyrn. Pues si hay árboles mallorn más allá del Mar, nadie lo ha dicho.
Lostregiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

-------------------T------

T's please!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's the answer:
Quote:
That's the Isle of Dogs, [said Mew] or rather the Isle of Lost Dogs, where all the lost dogs go that are deserving or lucky.
Mew is the seagull in Roverandom, and is explaining the sights to the title 'hero'.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

T - a t ' s / t - e / - s l e / o - / - o - s , / o - / - a t - e - / t - e / - s l e / o - / l o s t /
- o - s , / - - e - e / a l l / - - e / l o s t / - o - s / - o / t - a t / a - e / - e s e - - - - - / - - /
l - - - - .

Letters asked: s, e, a, l, o, t.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Very good. E.T.
got it. The instant notification isn't working today, so i didn't know you'd answered it.

Roverandom is an interesting read. I read the Hobbit to a class when I taught 4th grade and probably would have Roverandom.

Your turn.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril New quote

- - - - - / - - - - - - - - - / - - - - - , / - - - - - - - - - , / - / - - - - ' - / - - / - - - / - - - - - - - / - - - - / - - - / - - - - - - - .
Old 08-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #14
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The precious wants an "r."

Btw, I just started walking exercise using a digital pedometer, so far I've gone .5 of a mile, just out of Bagend. Guess I've got a ways to go.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

- - - - - / - - - - - - - - - / - - r - - , / - - - - - - - - - , / - / - - - - ' - / - - / - - - / - - r - - - - / - - - - / - - - / - - - - - - - .

(Good for you, Tuor! Every journey begins with the first mile, so keep at it!)
Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #16
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

I'm partial to A's so if you show me some id be grateful
Old 08-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

- a - - - / - - - - a - - - - / - a r - - , / - - - - - - - - - , / - / - - a - ' - / - - / a - - / - - r - - - - / - - - - / - a - / - - - - - - - .
Old 08-04-2004, 03:49 PM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

n please
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N a - - - / - n - - a - - - - / - a r - - , / - - - - - n - - - , / - / - - a n ' - / - - / a n - / - - r - - - - / - - - - / - a - / - - n - - - - .
Old 08-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #20
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

d?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 PM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N a - - - / - n - - a - - - - / - a r - - , / - - - d - n - - - , / - / - - a n ' - / - - / a n - / - - r - - - - / - - - - / - a - / - - n - - - - .

(Sorry, folks - that's my last answer for tonight. It's late over here! More tomorrow...)

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-04-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #22
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'd like a "u", please.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #23
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

y
Old 08-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N a - - y / u n - - a - - - y / - a r - - , / - - - d - n - - y , / - / - - a n ' - / - - / a n y / - u r - - - - / - - - - / - a y / - - n - - - - .
Old 08-05-2004, 06:47 AM   #25
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

How about a "k?"
Old 08-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #26
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

F
Old 08-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N a - - y / u n - - a - - - y / - a r - - , / - - - d - n - - y , / - / - - a n ' - / - - / a n y / f u r - - - - / - - - - / - a y / - - n - - - - .

(Sorry, no k's)
Old 08-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

E please
Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #29
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

N a - - y / u n - e a - - - y / - a r - - , / e - - d e n - - y , / - / - - a n ' - / - - / a n y / f u r - - e - / - - - - / - a y / - - n - - - - .
Old 08-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #30
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
"Nasty unhealthy parts, evidently, "said he', I shan't go any further this way tonight."
The giant, thinking this to himself, after Farmer Giles had shot him in the face, in Farmer Giles of Ham .
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #31
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Very good, Mariska! That was good work with few clues! Go ahead with the next one...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #32
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

A's please!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #33
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Sorry, Perky - Mariska already got the right answer! She'll post the next one.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 AM   #34
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

I know that. I'm pre-making my first guess, A, which is almost in every sentence. At least, every sentence that isn't Bob jumped.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:23 AM   #35
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
"-a--/----/,------/----!/----/----/------/------!/---/---/---/-----/--------/----/---/-----/--/------!"

New quote! With A's!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #36
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"n"s, please.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #37
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
"-a--/----/,------/----!/----/----/--n---/------!/---/---/-n-/----n/--------/----/---/--n--/--/------!"
here you go, N's added.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #38
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

How about an "i?"
Old 08-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #39
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
"-a--/----/,-i----/----!/----/----/-in---/-i----!/---/---/-n-/----n/--------/-i--/---/--n--/--/-i----!"
I's added!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #40
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"s?"