Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #841
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Updating the list

Character - - former writer - - keep or drop - - new writer?

Mellonin - - mark - - keep - - mark
Mellondu / Amroth - - mark - - keep - - mark
Raefindan / Imrazor - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Mithrellas - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Nimrodel - - mark - - keep - - lmp
Ædegard - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Nethwador - - mark - - keep - - mark
Taitheneb - - Alaklondewen - - keep - - Alaklondewen
Erebemlin - - Alaklondewen - - keep - - Alaklondewen
Ravion - - Orual - - keep - - Orual
Leafa - - Nuru - - keep - - Celuien
Tharonwe - - LMP - - keep - - LMP
Jorge - - many & various - - keep - - Formendacil?
Aeron - - Imladris - - drop
sister of Aeron - - drop
Bella - - Aylwen - - drop
Liornung - - Nuru - - drop

So Undómé and Feanor are the two other writers I think could really do this justice, bringing in new characters. There may be others of whom I'm not thinking. Kath? Firefoot?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-20-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #842
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Oooh! Ooh! Ooooh!

I'm still here!

I've just been busy with little league baseball these past couple of days and haven't been able to get on the computer.

I definitely want to continue playing the game, and keep both my characters as well.

So glad to see we're starting up again!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #843
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!!!

Can't imagine the game withut Liornung's fiddle, sad and glad by turns.

HURRAH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel
Oooh! Ooh! Ooooh!

I'm still here!

I've just been busy with little league baseball these past couple of days and haven't been able to get on the computer.

I definitely want to continue playing the game, and keep both my characters as well.

So glad to see we're starting up again!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #844
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Cool! Welcome back, Nuru!

Okay, my list updated then.....

Character - - former writer - - keep or drop - - new writer?

Mellonin - - mark - - keep - - mark
Mellondu / Amroth - - mark - - keep - - mark
Raefindan / Imrazor - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Mithrellas - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Nimrodel - - mark - - keep - - lmp
Ædegard - - LMP - - keep - - lmp
Nethwador - - mark - - keep - - mark
Taitheneb - - Alaklondewen - - keep - - Alaklondewen
Erebemlin - - Alaklondewen - - keep - - Alaklondewen
Ravion - - Orual - - keep - - Orual
Liornung - - Nuru - - keep -- Nurumaiel
Leafa - - Nuru - - keep - - Nurumaiel
Tharonwe - - LMP - - keep - - LMP
Jorge - - many & various - - keep - - Formendacil?
Aeron - - Imladris - - drop
sister of Aeron - - drop
Bella - - Aylwen - - drop

Possible writers:

Celuien
Undómé
Feanor
Firefoot
Kath

Of these, Feanor is probably the busiest, although that hasn't necessarily stopped her in the past. Undómé is currently at the Shire rpg level, but her ability is far beyond that, and an invitation is quite reasonable. Celuien is a deep writer, morallly and characterization-wise. Can't say enough good about her. Firefoot & Kath both have ability, but I don't know how much this might be their cup of tea.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #845
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Helen, as far as Bella is concerned, would we want to keep her in the game on account of Nethwador? She was one of the only people he really trusted and responded to. You'd know better than I!

lmp, I'm familiar with all of the writers you've mentioned, some more so than others, and I believe they'd be good choices, if they're interested.

Alak, hallo!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #846
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Nuru! It's great to see you. Helen, thanks for your welcome. I must admit you sent me into a fit of giggles. My little one was quite curious as to why Mama was chuckling to herself like that.

I'm only aquainted with a couple of the writers you've mentioned, lmp. However, when I have some time, I hope to check out the others.

I completely support the idea of having some new characters brought it. It might freshen the storyline a bit and keep the "oldies, but goodies" on their toes.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #847
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel
Helen, as far as Bella is concerned, would we want to keep her in the game on account of Nethwador? She was one of the only people he really trusted and responded to. You'd know better than I!
That's a strong argument for keeping her. However, dramatically it would also be a strong reason for letting her go. Nethwador would have to choose between the two. He'd stick with Amroth, but the parting would tear him in half; and it would also force him to relate to the menfolk again. Liornung's easygoing nature might keep him sane until Amroth resurfaces.

But I guess I could play it either way. If someone picks Bella up, I'm OK with that too.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #848
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

What about Nuru picking up Bella? You seem to have the most interest in keeping her around, and therefore you'd be the most sympathetic, character searching writer for her....
Old 05-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #849
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

lmp and Helen, I would consider picking up Bella, save that Helen's point about Nethwador is a good one. From the point of view of Leafa and Liornung, it would also be rather hard on them to see her go, which will give a bit to work with.

The other thing to keep me from picking her up is time constraints. I don't think I have the time to handle an extra character. So, whether we send her back, or someone else picks her up, I believe that, like Helen, I'll be all right with it either way. Poor Liornung will regret one of his song company leaving, but I think he can manage as well, as long as Ædegard is still up for a song now and then.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #850
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I keep envisioning Bella being mildly reprimanded for consorting with an easterling-- but seriously reprimanded for riding with a group of unknown men, and being admonished that she should return to civilisation for her reputation's sake.

Not that she'd buy it in her heart, but I think she would dutifully obey.

Hah-- maybe she changes her mind after the group leaves, and retraces Nimrodel's steps through the White Mountains, and meets up with her and Mithrellas in the paths of the dead....
Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #851
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm fine with setting Bella gently aside, just thought I'd bring it up, Nuru.

In the Paths of the Dead? Gruesome, Helen!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #852
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Gruesome...? Well- natch, but that's where Nimrodel's been these thousand-whatever years. And Mithrellas, too, poor girl.

I had originally postulated that they had left The Paths of the Dead when Elessar broke the curse, envisioning the climax of the story to be at the seashore. On the other hand, we could go all the way to Erech to hunt them down. What do you think?

Hmmm, canonically, since this story is early fourth-age, the curse should be broken, and the redeemed-bad-boys all gone to their eternal rest etc. So where does that leave Erech and The Paths of the Dead? Is "that mountain still evil?" Or is the evil only in the still-demonized-and-distraught Nimrodel?

ps. Firefoot has expressed interest in the game, and is reading her way through. I find that to be happy news.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 AM   #853
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The evil is in the distraught Nimrodel, in my opinion.

My sense of the setting has always been a fair vale high in the mountains to which Nimrodel believes herself, and therefore is, captive; and Mithrellas stays with her out of loyalty.

Feanor has expressed great interest also.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #854
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

But that makes it too easy for Mithrellas. Much more of a sacrifice on her part if she has to travel to find food, and bring water, to sustain a barely-interested Nimrodel-- who in her insanity won't leave the (chalk paths, salt cliffs, noxious caves, whatever.)

I also think it would be great fun if, upon finding her, Nimrodel is no longer the beauty she once was. Deceptive appearances is one of the main themes of the RPG.

Quite glad to hear that Feanor is interested. (You are referring to Feanor of the Peredhil? There are a few others in the Members list.)
Old 05-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #855
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, I see your point and I'm fine with it.

Yes, Feanor of the Peredhil. One of the out and out best writers around these boards. I know she's going to feel like now she has to live up to that praise. But you know what? She will.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #856
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

I heard from Aylwen-- hurrah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylwen
I haven't been on the downs in over a year, but if things are looking up again for tapestry I'm willing to get back into the swing of things. It would appear that you guys are already making plans for leaving Bella out, but summer's here and I've got time on my hands so if you want Bella back in the mix...
Here's what I think: Yes to Bella, but with a new plot line for her. I really like the idea of Bella being a puzzle peice that the troop needs, and that the puzzle isn't complete until she provides a missing peice.

Here's a stray thought: what if, in the general re-ordering of things, and parental advice being heeded, and decorum being re-considered, several of the womenfolk stay behind in Minas Tirith-- Bella, Leafa, maybe even Mellonin. Yeah, even Mellonin. Parting produces much angst, of course, from Ravion (poor Ravion!) to Ædegard to Nethwador, and even Raefindan is a bit glum.

But the women find after a few days that they just can't sit still; the dreams return full-force; they team up again to commiserate, and unbeknownst to the departed menfolk, the women find themselves pulled over the White Mountains in the same path that Nimrodel took. Cold, dangerous, etc.

In addition to their nightmares, we could even have the ghost of Aeron's sister haunting them as they go.

Mountains are great fun.

What think you?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #857
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Aylwen! Hurrah! So glad to see you!

Helen, it sounds all right with me. I know that I'd have a bit of fun working with that. I agree with you... mountains are fun. It would also give me the ideal opportunity to expand on Leafa's character. I've always considered her as rather secondary... Liornung was my primary concern. But if she was in a separate setting, I could give her full justice.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #858
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I don't like it. I'll be honest. This gender apartheid just doesn't sit well with me. What are the menfolk supposed to be doing meantime? Where do they go? Along the more conventional paths?

Follow the road to Pelargir, then along the Bay of Belfalas toward Dol Amroth after much boring taxation at various toll booths, not to mention the baleful Tharonwe constantly reminding them how useless they are, finally wending toward Erech where they find that the womenfolk have figured the whole thing out and everything's dorey hunky and 'what took you so long?'

Blah.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #859
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

No, not three amazons solving the quest by themselves. No-No-No. Realist, realist.

First off, it's not gender apartheid to realize Minas Tirith would not approve of
men and women casually questing together in Elessar's time. Have you ever been camping with a mixed group of men and women? Unless you're married, it's awkward. It's difficult for the ladies to remain modest and demure. No parent in Elessar's time would have approved of his/her daughter camping about with a bunch of barely-known males. When the troup arrived in Minas Tirith, the city would be busily exhorting the women to take safe haven there while the men finished their insane quest.

Meanwhile the overly ambitious, overconfident (deranged???) womenfolk get ***lost*** in the mountains. Just like Nimrodel did. After much hardship ( I believe in equal pay for equal work, but I'm not crossing the White Mountains without some rangers and elves to rescue my sorry carcass) they barely make it across by the skin of their starving and frostbitten teeth. Interesting new characters can rescue them, if the menfolk don't get around to it. Maybe some Gondorian sentinel is standing guard at one of the beacons, or there's a Pukel-mountain-man that helps them along, or ... something.

They don't solve the whole thing; they bring clues. Like (for instance) assurance from the Pukel/sentinel/(insert rescuer here) that Nimrodel hasn't been seen in the upper mountains for 1000 years, so they needn't bother searching back over the pass.

The women would follow (stumble along) Nimrodel's path to the ocean, more or less, since she left for the paths of the dead much later (towards the end of Mithrellas & Imrazor's time togehter.) Maybe the ocean is where the menfolk meet them. Or maybe they take refuge in some South Gondor town, and somebody has mercy on them & sends mesasges to the shore that they've arrived.

So now I've explained myself a bit better, what do you think?

Last edited by mark12_30; 05-24-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #860
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I guess most of this is borne of my certainty that Minas Tirith won't sit idly by while three young ladies ride off with a motley crew of males.

At the beginning of the quest, Mellonin's brother was LOST. Now he's found. Her job is done. "So stay home!" they will say. "Don't go traipsing off with your moonstruck brother."

If the ladies don't cross the mountains, then we'll need another subterfuge. Maybe "it's tradition for the women to farewell the men" and they ride as far as _____, and then suddenly decide to go along anyway.

But I can't see them casually riding south into God-knows-what-destiny while Minas Tirith sits back and smiles blessings on them. At the very least there should be a bit of a scandal and lots of nasty rumors. I'm not crazy about that slant, really.

I'd rather continue along with the doom/ insanity/ destiny/ mysterious *something* that seems to have driven much of this story to this point.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #861
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, I'm still not thrilled. I may have Raefindan get a dream about the womenfolk and then have the menfolk themselves head into the mountains where they meet. I see your point about Minas Tirith's point of view, but maybe the various women need to have their own personal reactions to it. Eowyn certainly didn't want to be cooped up. O'course, one could argue that Gondor and Rohan are two completely different cultures. Do you argue that? If so, then Leafa may have a different point of view than, say, Mellonin....
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #862
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Their own personal reactions: of course they would; and Leafa would not be beholden to anyone but Ædegard; and Bella wouldn't be beholden to anyone but Nethwador and (to a point) Liornung.

But I think you are overlooking the concept of a woman's honor. Eowyn was riding in a man's disguise to seek death in battle-- to gain a man's honor without sacrificing her womanly honor. (Obviously, if she tried to seduce anyone, her cover would be blown.)

Let's think for a minute about the women who traveled in LOTR.

Arwen: Rivendell to Minas Tirith-- had her father with her.

Galadriel: Lorien to Minas Tirith, and then back again-- had her husband with her.

Eowyn: was disguised as a man. (As indeed Mellonin has been for much of the journey, for a similar reason.)

Without a relative or a spouse travelling with her, and perhaps a handmaiden to be a witness of her good behavior, a lady's reputation would rapidly deteriorate into that of camp follower. For that reason, a lady would shun the situation unless honor demanded otherwise (such as, my brother is MISSING, and we can't afford to hire a team of rangers to hunt him down.)

Al the menfolk with the possible exception of Nethwador, would know this.

I'm not saying that we have to have all three women cross the mountains (I did think it was a cool idea, but I'm willing to let it go.) What I am less willing to let go is that if they leave the city (and obviously they all will) on the quest, we've got to get around that question of "Why are these women on the road", cleanly and with their honor somehow intact. "Lost in the mountains" was one way.

Other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #863
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, the women's honor issue is now understood. It's a worthy point.

Celuien has expressed interest also now.

Now then. If the party separates into men leaving first, then women later, the women's honor issue gets even more dicey than if the women leave with the men.

All that needs to be done, then, seems to me, is for the women to have a good reason to leave Minas Tirith for, say, Dol Amroth or some other location, under the protection of these brothers and their friends. Thoughts?

I rather think anyone's thoughts might help at this point, including Nurumaiel, Alaklondewen, Aylwen, Feanor, Celuien, and Formendacil, if you are so inclined. I hope I am not being too froward with that invitation.....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #864
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Celuien has expressed interest also now.
Ah, good; and welcome.

Quote:
All that needs to be done, then, seems to me, is for the women to have a good reason to leave Minas Tirith for, say, Dol Amroth or some other location, under the protection of these brothers and their friends. Thoughts?.

Quote:
I rather think anyone's thoughts might help at this point, including Nurumaiel, Alaklondewen, Aylwen, Feanor, Celuien, and Formendacil, if you are so inclined. I hope I am not being too froward with that invitation.
Indeed you are not being too forward. The thread is too quiet! Thoughts, reactions, opinions, comments... catcalls?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #865
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
wolf-whistles at mark...

Instead of concentrating on positive reasons for the ladies to leave, why not consider the half-empty glass and think of reasons that it would be less appropriate for them to stay?

PJ was able to bring women and children to his Helm's Deep because of pure physical danger if they were left behind. The ladies don't have to be in danger, but if there is a reason legitimate enough that they can't stay, there won't be as much fishing for reasons good enough to pull them along. Does that make sense?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #866
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
The ladies don't have to be in danger, but if there is a reason legitimate enough that they can't stay, there won't be as much fishing for reasons good enough to pull them along. Does that make sense?
Right, that seems to me to be the crux of the matter. The impelled-by-dreams-of-Nimrodel seemed like a good reason (to me) that they would leave on impulse, especially considering how many other characters have been 'driven' by chaotic circumstances deep within their psyche.

(Maybe the deep psychological stuff has been used enough in this game that it's a bit old by now. On the other hand it is a central theme: Tharonwe, Amroth/ Mellon, Raefindan/Imrazor... even crazy little Gwyllion.)

Reasons Bella can't stay: She's from Gondor in the first place; she's a highly skilled mapmaker; I don't see any reason they wouldn't offer her work (and rest from a harrowing journey.) Aylwen?

Reasons Mellonin can't stay: None that I can think of; her former employers (both of them) would take her back, both with Estelyn in mind; and her parents would insist on her staying, especially since her addled brother was off again-- why risk losing both their children? She's sweet on Ravion, but that's not reason to go off into the wild with him, especially since he'd rather come back on one peice, and if by chance he doesn't he certainly wouldn't want Mellonin to die with him.

Reasons Leafa can't stay: She's from Rohan and a Wanderer/ex-gypsy; Liornung thinks she should go somewhere where she will have a safe and happy home with a family of some sort. ?? Nuru?

Aside from the dreams/ madness/ inner impulsion thing, I'm drawing a blank. Anyone?

In the meantime, I'm reviewing the thread; I'm on page eight... when I catch up to where we are now, I might have some more ideas.

THe next question is, why are we getting wrapped around an axle about this anyway...? For the moment, we're trying to assemble (reassemble ) a team, with characters, and while it would be nice to have all this planned out, I guess we could postpone the decisions until Mellondu explains to his parents why he's being stalked by a seven-foot-tall elf.

I guess I'll focus on other things for a bit; please feel free to let the ideas fly.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:35 PM   #867
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can see the trouble. I'll keep reading the story thread (y'all are long-winded ) and as I get better acquainted with characters maybe I can come up with something that's actually helpful.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #868
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Music!!!

Quote:
"My young love said to me, 'My mother won't mind
and my father won't slight you for your lack of kind.'
She stepped away from me and this she did say:
'It will not be long, love, till our wedding day.'
Such brilliance, Nuru, to choose that song.

LOVE IT.

bookmark: page 9, post 332... hmmm, maybe i'll put a bookmark in my location.

Last edited by mark12_30; 05-24-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #869
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Ah, good; and welcome.
Thank you.

Just read over the thread.

Getting the women back on the quest does present a problem. But the dreams seem like a good way to get them to leave.

What if they dream and leave before the men? Then they're not leaving in an objectionable mixed gender party or trying to catch up to the men, and any reuniting of the group could be in the context of a non-honor-impairing rescue. And they could be excused for going in the first place by reason of being temporarily possessed by visions that left them a bit non compos mentis...
Quote:
In addition to their nightmares, we could even have the ghost of Aeron's sister haunting them as they go.
I like that!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #870
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm a little hesitant to post ideas before finishing the thread (I'm about 2/3 there, now), since while I've picked up the gist of it I'm not totally sure about the circumstances at the end. But what Celuien said sounded like an interesting idea to me:
Quote:
What if they dream and leave before the men? Then they're not leaving in an objectionable mixed gender party or trying to catch up to the men, and any reuniting of the group could be in the context of a non-honor-impairing rescue. And they could be excused for going in the first place by reason of being temporarily possessed by visions that left them a bit non compos mentis...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #871
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

My experience with well-meaning folk is that they aren't of a temperament to let that situation happen.

"To where did those lovely young lasses about whose honor we've been worrying disappear?"

"Oh, you know. They're a bit non compos mentis so we decided to let them wander the wilderness alone."
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 PM   #872
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Thank you.

Just read over the thread.

Getting the women back on the quest does present a problem. But the dreams seem like a good way to get them to leave.

What if they dream and leave before the men?
Oooooh! Hmmmm--- now that sounds good-- I like it. Men debate and plan, while looney women impetuously ride off into the southern fog... Menfolk to the rescue... Chasing the Wild Mellon, part two, only this time it's the sister that's moonstruck and the brother that's (momentarily) sane.....

Oooo, Ravion will be SOOOO angry with Mellonin. And Ædegard! Yikers.

This relieves Erebemlin of the obligation to drag Amroth back out of Mellondu, at least for a while, and gives him room for some half-pleased, half angsty ponderings as we go...

Dang, Celuien! I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Then they're not leaving in an objectionable mixed gender party or trying to catch up to the men, and any reuniting of the group could be in the context of a non-honor-impairing rescue. And they could be excused for going in the first place by reason of being temporarily possessed by visions that left them a bit non compos mentis...
All good.

I wonder which direction they start off in?

How about over the mountains, and the menfolk follow them that way? (ducking projectiles thrown by lmp)

lmp, Nuru, Aylwen?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #873
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
My experience with well-meaning folk is that they aren't of a temperament to let that situation happen.

"To where did those lovely young lasses about whose honor we've been worrying disappear?"

"Oh, you know. They're a bit non compos mentis so we decided to let them wander the wilderness alone."

Right-- but if they essentially sleepwalk out at night, and head over the mountains (gee, via Rath Dinen? Must check maps) then like Mellondu's initial departure, they'll be missed and AWOL.

(Mellondu was suspected of drinking too much and playing hookey, leaving his employer much annoyed.)

That also could be their head-start-- most parties assume that Mellonin would have (like her addled blacksmith brother) gone north to Rohan, so the rescue parties head off in the wrong direction-- except those who have been travelling with her enough to know the dreams so far. After a few frantic searches northward, Ravion, Raefindan, Mellon/Amroth, and Erebemlin decide to turn south. Do they choose the wrong route at first?

Do the women (Bella, Leafa, Mellonin) disappear togeter? Or each separate? Do they travel together, or do they fan out, or do they trace Nimrodel's path a few days apart?

THis is getting fun again.

Last edited by mark12_30; 05-24-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 AM   #874
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
What if they dream and leave before the men?
That is an interesting idea...the elves (and certain male characters) really, REALLY won't be very happy about that. Some of them who aren't attached to the women (emotionally) will probably have half a mind to let them leave without going after them.

But I can see Bella having fun with this. Maps everywhere in her mind, figuring out where to go.

Another thing to think about: What dream is strong enough to take the women away from the ones they care about (aka Mellondu/Amroth, Ædegard, Nethwador) and wouldn't they tell these dreams to the menfolk anyway? Maybe the men don't believe them? It would have to be a pretty compelling dream to take the women into the wild.

I don't feel strongly with whichever way the women separate from the men. I'll go with whatever you all think would work out best. I do like this new idea, though.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #875
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylwen Dreamsong
Another thing to think about: What dream is strong enough to take the women away from the ones they care about (aka Mellondu/Amroth, Ædegard, Nethwador) and wouldn't they tell these dreams to the menfolk anyway? Maybe the men don't believe them? It would have to be a pretty compelling dream to take the women into the wild.
Brainstorming...

Maybe it's a dream that's more than a dream where Nimrodel or Mithrellas mysteriously put an overwhelming compulsion to leave into their heads. Or they hear poor Gwyllion calling to them, though that vision would logically go to Aeron as well since it looks like he's the one who has to release her - which might not work if he's being dropped. They could slip out in the middle of the night under the 'control' of their dreams and have their disappearance cause concern to everyone else (who wouldn't really know, but might guess what happened) when they're missed in the morning.

Anyway, the women would have to leave in fairly quick succession in order to avoid their companions taking steps to prevent them from vanishing. Once the men know that something's going on after one disappearance, they'd be on the watch for further trouble.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #876
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

I'm thinking "Delirium", like Mellondu's original departure that started the whole thing.

I envision Mellonin visiting her parents and then returning to her old room at the Inn-- not much supervision there, she can disappear overnight and not be missed til morning.

Bella and Leafa would be staying where? At the Inn, I would say, unless they've spent most of their money by now-- Leafa won't have much anyway. I dunno. So where WOULD Leafa and Bella be staying-- ideas?

Maybe Mellonin goes delirious as Mithrellas and departs late evening, when all think she is abed. Likewise either Bella or Leafa goes delirious as Nimrodel, ahd her companion chases her thinking she can't have gone far?

With Mellonin taking on Mithrellas's dreams, that would provide some tension between Raefindan, Ravion, and Mellonin. There'd also be tension of a different sort from Mellondu.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #877
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
I agree that it would be rather interesting to read (and write for you folks with lady characters), if the women somehow found themselves travelling and finding hardship in the mountains. However, I would find it difficult to believe that all three had some sort of similar dream and they all sleep-walked out of town and wound up together. One would be more realistic, I think...especially if it was Mellonin. However, if Mellonin were to slip off in the middle of the night, what would possess the other two to follow? If they were staying together, somehow, and Leafa and Bella realised she was missing...would they not wake the men, even if they did look around town thinking she'd not gone far?

And Aylwen is quite right about the elves reaction to the women running off. Erebemlin, for one, will think them very foolish and, most likely, think that straying from the current quest and bringing Amroth back more important than chasing silly humans. Taitheneb may be a bit more open to the idea. Ooh, I smell conflict...

As to where Bella and Leafa might stay...do you think Mellonin's family, so relieved to see their daughter safe and sound, might invite her young female friends to stay as well...even if it was the inn? If not, I'm sure someone who has seen the travelers coming in and heard rumours of the moonstruck Mellondu would offer them a comfortable place to sleep, especially if their honour is in question. Someone would surely want to make sure they are staying safe and not staying in the same quarters as the rough bunch of men. Maybe an older couple or a widow...someone that it would not be inappropriate to have young women sleeping in their home. That could offer a place for a tempory new character or two while they are in the city.

~Alak
Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #878
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think that all this brainstorming is going to get turned on its head when our new writers have (1) finished reading what we've written so far (2) created new characters.

Those new characters are going to present so many new possibilities that I think it's rather a waste of time to talk about what who might do when and why until the new characters are introduced.

Who's going to play Jorje?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #879
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Who's going to play Jorje?
Do I detect a nudge for me here? I seem to recall my name being attached thereto on your suggestion sheet. Although I've been reading through the RPG proper far enough to know who Jorje is (and whence came his name), I'm not entirely far enough along yet to realise just how much he actually needs a writer...

Oh, and to save myself the PM... I am interested in playing- and if the revered company herein is willing to have me and give me safe passage into this Forum of Gondor, then I'm more than willing to play- even if only as a dog. It being known, however, that I may have to drop out come the school year and September.

If you still want me, you've got me.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #880
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Formendacil, welcome. And no, you will not be limited to Jorje-- unless you so desire.