The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2003, 07:24 AM   #1
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe LotR: The Anti-Drug

Some of you have said how your parents are upset with your obsession with LotR or that they punish you because you spend too much time on this site.

What I say to that is, "we could be out doing drugs instead." Is an obsession with LotR all that bad? Would our parents rather us out on the street in a gang, taking drugs, etc?

I think my parents understand that I could be doing worse things and that's why they don't bother me about my obsession. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Yeah, my parents would probably feel the same way, but my mom begins to wonder when I call my One Ring "my precioussss." But seriously they should make a commercial, like the ones you see that say "Parents: The Anti-Drug".
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good idea, Olorin. Today when my mom says "You've been on the internet for too long! Get off!", that is what I shall say. But LotR is an anti-drug. I wonder how many kids it's keeping off the streets and off of drugs.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think if I said something about LOTR being my anti-drug, my mom would freak. She'd probably never let me go anywhere again cause she'd think I'd be doing drugs or something. But yeah, I agree with your theory. In some ways it is an anti-drug.

Although, to me it's sort of my "anti-prep". If I wasn't interested in LOTR all the time, I'd probably be just like my prep friends who are only interested in shopping and which guy to like next. So, yes, it is a very good trait of mine. LOTR has kept me sane.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Quote:
LOTR has kept me sane.
Funny you say that... because for some peeps I bet it's the oppisite... LoTR has probably made a majority of us insane! I am probably in that majority, but it depends on what you mean my sane... in that case we all could be sane and everyone else...insane... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ignore me... a little insane... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

What I meant by "sane" was that I am actually beginning to care about important things. I am also learning a lot about different cultures and learning much from everyone else's point of view instead of just my preppy friend's. Because of LOTR, I have become a better person and that I thank to Tokien and the wonderful people on this site. For it is all of you have helped me become who I am today.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

How wonderful Eruwen, that is really cool that your experience on this site has influenced your life in so many ways.

I would have to say that I would stop short of calling LOTR an anti-drug. It is a good thing to be interested in, but I would have to say that I think that many of the people who are on the site are people who seem like that they would hopefully never even consider getting into that kind of behavior. I would think that most of us are people who if they didn't have LOTR, would be passionately into another interest.

Though I am just using the people who post on this site as an example. I would hope that the works of Tolkien influence people who maybe never even post on forums such as this. And maybe encourage them to do good for the whole of the world.

(I don't know if I even make sense, but I hope that everyone who reads this understands what I am trying to convey in this comment) [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2003, 12:03 AM   #8
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

All this talk about being sane or insane just makes me think of the qoute in my sig, "Stay sane inside insanity." You need to be somewhat insane, to be able to stay sane in this crazy world we live in. May not make sense to all, but sure makes sense to me. It's the qoute I live by. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The thought of LOTR being like an Anti-drug: good idea. But I agree with Gorwingel, that most of us here would probably be really into another interest, if not LOTR.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
Olorin
Wight

1420!

I think you guys are misunderstanding my point. If I wasn't passionate about LotR, I wouldn't be doing drugs either.

What I'm trying to say is that there are worse things that we could be doing. Compared to doing drugs or being involved in a gang, LotR doesn't sound so bad.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

In that case, Eruwen, then I believe many of us our sane! I probably would consider myself like that.. I guess... not sure... very good interperate on the word 'sane'! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #11
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

My parents don't care. They know I am obbessed but they think I will get over it in time. How wrong they are... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:25 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I agree with Gorwingel. I think that in discussing his works and trying to change our lives and the way we treat others, we are fulfilling the last desire of our dear Professor Tolkien. He wrote these books to inspire future generations. He wanted to pass on the torch of love, caring, and friendship for our fellow human beings to us, and it is up to us to take up that torch. Without Tolkien's books, many of us would have led ordinary lives, with ordinary interests. Yet those books changed all that. They have changed each and every one of our lives. I can't speak for everyone here, but in my case, they have filled a part of me that has never been filled before. I feel whole in this world, a sense of completeness that I've never felt anywhere else. I have also found friends that I would not have met anywhere else. Even though most of us have not met face to face, I daresay that if anything, just anything untoward were to happen to any one of us, we would all be up in arms, and standing behind that person. It's strange, even many friends who meet every day do not have that feeling of camaraderie, and yet we do. Is that not something worth living for? None of us have met the Professor himself, yet he is a father to us all. We aren't as fortunate as Chris Tolkien and his siblings, to be the children of his body, but we are truly the children of his heart. If there is one man who ever lived, who truly deserved all the recognition, admiration, and love in this world, it is Tolkien, for making such a difference in our lives.

Edit: Oh my God, [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] that was just, so, wow!

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Finwe ]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been told that I have no life and it would be better if I were joining a chain gang than moping about at home waiting for the computer to be fixed (our hard drive just collapsed yet again and I lost a lot of work, including my latest fanfiction [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]). I suppose the same applies to my addiction to this site and Tolkien.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:08 PM   #14
Aredhel Ar Feiniel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel Ar Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I think if I said something about LOTR being my anti-drug, my mom would freak. She'd probably never let me go anywhere again cause she'd think I'd be doing drugs or something
Same here. But again, not that I would do drugs- I have absolutely no interest in damaging my mind or body. *nod nod*

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Aredhel Ar Feiniel ]
Old 07-14-2003, 03:00 PM   #15
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

One can only be infatuated to a point. My niece is a fourteen year old young woman. I got her into Tolkien but it was a horrific idea. She gets straight A’s at school and is very intelligent (she read the Silm at the age of eight). The dilemma is she has no friends, at break she sits reading a Tolkien book. She gets home does her homework and she does not come out of her room she is too busy reading. My sister does not even know her own daughter anymore. She is anorexic at the moment due to the fact that she forgets to eat (????). The obsession is going way over board, I never see her neither does her mom or dad only when she gets a drink or something. She knows all of the songs (off by heart) from LotR. Yes be obsessed but please don’t be OBSESSED!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #16
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Good point Niluial, loving LOTR should not control your normal life.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #17
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Whoa.... that sound bad. I hope she gets getter! If Tolkien is an anti-drug I guess to much anti-drug isn't a good thing. I thankfully am not that obsessed(to that degree) and I am the only one in the family that is... which sometimes can become very lonely! I mean my sister loves the movie and has read The Hobbit and lotr but I just can't get her to read Silm! I even bought her a very nice illustrated by Ted Nasmith Silm!!!!! but it just lies there unread... well I read it all the time. I wish she really needed a anti-drug then maybe I could force her to read it because I know she would love it if she only took the time!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] oh well... I least I have you guys! So I'm not totally alone in my obsession!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:38 PM   #18
Olorin
Wight

Shield

I'm so sorry Niluial. That sounds really terrible. Perhaps your sister could get involved with LotR so they could do things together. I hope she gets better. Maybe, you can introduce her to the Barrow Downs so she could make some online friends.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #19
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm completely addicted to gaining knowledge,I'd even dare to say that it's one of the most important parts of my life.Fact is,I can easily learn or remember something if I want to as I have some sort of photographic memory.As I've allways liked fantasy and imagining our world in a different way Tolkien definately became an addiction at a certain point.It's this sort of "addiction" as you might call it combined with my memory that makes me the Tolkien-authority to my friends who've gotten interested in Tolkien because of the movies,wich definately is a good thing. As I like to show I know a lot (sorry but you need to get a kick out of something)I feel very comfortable in this role as the one should ask what you want to know about a lot of things including Tolkien. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #20
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'm really sorry about that Niluial. Anything that inspires love or admiration is a double-edged sword. It can also lead to a very unhealthy obsession. I can see it from both your and your niece's perspectives because, it galls me to say, I used to be almost exactly like her. Thankfully, my friends stepped in, and nearly had to forcibly get me to go out with them again. I just hope that she gets that same intervention because, as much as I love Tolkien, I never want to go through that phase again.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:22 AM   #21
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
I'm completely addicted to gaining knowledge
Same here...I nearly aced a history finals because of too much Discovery channel nights. In fact, I aced the essay questions that I used my Discover challenge on, and almost flopped on the questions that I used classroom knowledge on. *sheesh*

And Noxomanus, I've got quite a vast memory that almost anyone cannot escape [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sorry about your niece, Nilual. I hope she grows out of all of that except for Tolkien [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My mom has no idea how obssessed I am. My friend knows, though...at work, when she asks what I'm doing on the computer, she takes a peep, and she sees the Downs and doesn't bother me "oooohhh...okaaay," she says. *there she goes again*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #22
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Wow I never knew everyone would care so much!
Quote:
Good point Niluial, loving LOTR should not control your normal life.
My point exactly! Tolkien and Barrow-Downs ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) can interfere with your daily life even I find that. You need to make time for your interests and time for life! When you have an exam study (though it may be hard). To obsessed can lead to trouble!
Quote:
If Tolkien is an anti-drug I guess to much anti-drug isn't a good thing.
I could not agree more!
Quote:
I'm so sorry Niluial. That sounds really terrible. Perhaps your sister could get involved with LotR so they could do things together. I hope she gets better. Maybe, you can introduce her to the Barrow Downs so she could make some online friends.
My sister has tried to get involved but being a single mother must be hard for my sister and she works allot which leaves hardly anytime for her let alone to sit and read Tolkien, but she has tried! I also hope she gets better! I have spoken to her about the Downs and there is an interest so I am going to try and get her on! But how far will her obsession go, she might be glued to the screen!
Quote:
I'm sorry about your niece, Nilual. I hope she grows out of all of that except for Tolkien
I hope so to!
Quote:
I'm really sorry about that Niluial. Anything that inspires love or admiration is a double-edged sword. It can also lead to a very unhealthy obsession. I can see it from both your and your niece's perspectives because, it galls me to say, I used to be almost exactly like her. Thankfully, my friends stepped in, and nearly had to forcibly get me to go out with them again. I just hope that she gets that same intervention because, as much as I love Tolkien, I never want to go through that phase again.
Finwe you see this is why I want her on the downs people like you who understand her would be great for her! I am sure her friends would step in but what friends? Apart from Law I am also studying the basics on Psychology and I believe my niece has ‘social anxiety’ (meaning she is afraid of people and what they think of her), that’s what I think but I am not to sure. I thought maybe she shuts herself behind that door and entertains herself in middle-earth to keep herself away from people!

~Niluial
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:48 PM   #23
Olorin
Wight

Thumbs up

Niluial, your niece sounds a bit like me. I have mild social anxiety as well. I find that the internet acts as a security blanket, so the Downs might just be the place for her to come out of her shell. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Also, your sister sounds like my dad, he wanted to be able to talk with me about LotR, but he could never find the time to read it. Then, he found books on tape and he listened on his way to and from work. Maybe, your sister could do this.

Some of you have mentioned an undying thirst for knowledge. I have such a thirst as well. That's one of the reasons I love reading. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Olorin ]
Old 07-17-2003, 02:56 AM   #24
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, LOTR is supposed to be a good thing, to inspire people and give them a good reading experiance; not to get them insanely obsessed!
And as some of you've said, this story shouldn't control your life. Tolkien wouldn't have wanted that. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And Niluial, so sorry about you niece; I guess, as Olorin said, Barrowdowns would be good for her to interact with people who can help her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Tarien Ithil ]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:02 AM   #25
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Lord of the Rings has done me quite a lot of good. Because I liked it so much I began to write fanfiction. I found my spelling, punctuation and vocabulary improving, and I moved my creative writing grade up from a B to an A*!
If I wasn't into LotR I'm not sure what I'd be doing. I wouldn't have anything to write fanfiction about, I'd have nothing to obsess about with online friends, I'd have nothing to watch/read on a dull day. And it's introduced me to some cool people on the BD's and on fanfiction.net.
Although I annoy my friends sometimes (I once talked about LotR for 1 hour and 9 minutes) and my mother despairs when I que for 1 and a half hours to meet Billy Boyd I wouldn't give up my obsession.
Niluial, that's nad about your niece. Sadly, stuff like that can happen. I'll be careful and keep my other interests and friends as well, and not get OBSESSED in a bad way.

[ July 19, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 07-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #26
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

I think it keeps me sane and also makes me insane at the same time. (confused?) That's true though, I'm going to say that to my mom next time she tells me to get off the computor.She'll probably laugh, because she knows I'd never do drugs anyway. Good idea though, they should make a comercial and all the BDers should be on it!
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #27
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Niluial, I am very sorry about your niece and know exactly how she feels. I suggest pointing out a few aspects from Tolkien's work that helped me realize the need for strong relashionships and a close knit group of friends. Frodo and Sam, for instance, are hardly ever separated. Even when Frodo flips, Sam is patiently trying to bring him back. Legolas and Gimli are the same way, only, it is a littly harder for them because of the whole Elf/Dwarf thing.

As for LotR being an anti-drug, I think that's pretty close to being right on. A healthy obsession can be exactly what it sounds like, ummm, healthy. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] A little bit of insanity is always a good thing.