The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #41
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
The Hobbit movies give me a headache, almost as big as when I try to read this green font on black background. I cant read for more than a minute without a migraine, pity I was looking forward to some good discussions.
Sorry to hear that. I must confess that after nearly 14 years of haunting this forum, the colors are to me like the knock on the door of an old friend. Maybe it'll grow on you.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #42
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I. Suggested on the other thread where this was raised reading the printable version. However an eyetest might be an idea too incase specs might help.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
dont need an eyetest, already got glasses, and its not just me, I know a few people who are put off by the font and black background on this forum, they said they dont come here often because after a few minutes they get either headaches or that weird optical effect like looking at something bright and getting afterburn, *whatever* I think you guys are missing a trick, if your font was more relaxing to use and lets face it not everyone has perfect eyesight, people may stay longer. just sayin.

Anyway I didnt come here to moan.

well. I do like moaning about the Hobbit movies. cos they suck monkey balls.
FerniesApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #44
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Sorry to hear that. I must confess that after nearly 14 years of haunting this forum, the colors are to me like the knock on the door of an old friend. Maybe it'll grow on you.
Same here! More than anything I loved the format(?) of Barrow Downs. Green or Sky Blue fonts and black background was what attracted me most. Rest were the discussions.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #45
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Who reads?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Not all old friends are welcome. One of mine drank all my beer then peed in my wardrobe because he couldnt find the loo.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #47
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Have to say I like the consistency of this place. Still mostly the same as it was back in '99 on EZ Board. I find the Barrow Downs colour scheme 'comfortable'.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #48
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

well black backgrounds were probably trendy like 20 years ago but these days people know that they give lots of people headaches, so if you dont mind the fact it is preventing some Tolkien fans from contributing to the forum and being able to take pleasure in reading the forum posts, its entirely up to you.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
well black backgrounds were probably trendy like 20 years ago but these days people know that they give lots of people headaches, so if you dont mind the fact it is preventing some Tolkien fans from contributing to the forum and being able to take pleasure in reading the forum posts, its entirely up to you.
This really ought to be discussed in another thread.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:15 PM   #50
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Heh, I saw FOTR with my future wife, but having had a large dinner with two or three "tall" Samuel Adams Lagers beforehand, I slept through about half of it.
Ah yes, the food & beer coma effect. I am happy to report the only part of those movies I started to doze off in was the Fangorn parts in Two Towers. I kept myself awake by using that time for a bathroom break.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #51
Ring Bearer
Animated Skeleton

Ring Bearer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
Have to say I like the consistency of this place. Still mostly the same as it was back in '99 on EZ Board. I find the Barrow Downs colour scheme 'comfortable'.
The colour scheme is indeed very comfortable.
Seems like you use British English as well.
Ring Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #52
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Even in these latter days, if you say we have six active members left, I'd say that those six would break down to two Brits, two Canadians, an American, and a non-native-English European.

(Those are very unscientific statistics and should absolutely not be scrutinised, but ANOTHER of the strengths of this site--and strength of 2000-era forums at their best in general--was that it was and is truly international.)

Of course, as Tolkien fans, I daresay we're slightly biased in favour of British spellings in general--or, as I call them, Canadian spellings.

Last edited by Formendacil; 04-13-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #53
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
Ah yes, the food & beer coma effect. I am happy to report the only part of those movies I started to doze off in was the Fangorn parts in Two Towers. I kept myself awake by using that time for a bathroom break.
I have only ever fallen a sleep in the movie theater when I have attempted to sit through an entire nighttime LotR marathon... Oh yeah and that time as a kid when I got really bored watching Bambi.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #54
Snowdog

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Bearer View Post
The colour scheme is indeed very comfortable.
Seems like you use British English as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Even in these latter days, if you say we have six active members left, I'd say that those six would break down to two Brits, two Canadians, an American, and a non-native-English European.

(Those are very unscientific statistics and should absolutely not be scrutinised, but ANOTHER of the strengths of this site--and strength of 2000-era forums at their best in general--was that it was and is truly international.)

Of course, as Tolkien fans, I daresay we're slightly biased in favour of British spellings in general--or, as I call them, Canadian spellings.
When I joined this site in 2000 (I know it says 2002 by my name but that was because I couldn't find a post I did on the old board when this was updated) , I was an American living in the high mountains of Washington state. I did not use the useless 'u' vowel in words, and I gave proper use to the letter 'z'. These days, I'm an American ex-pat living in Australia, and my laptop is set for Australian English so it autocorrects to excess vowels and disses the letter 'z' with the use of 's'.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #55
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Dunno, as a resident of this country I feel that we are in a privileged position of being happy with both spellings. I mix and match. Like Snowdog, I uphold the Zs, but I also pay tribute to the Us. Oh, and it's "grey", because "gray" ticks me off for no particular reason. I think I actually use -RE and -ER interchangeably. US spelling wins with the AEs, I never write something like "encyclopaedia" if I can help it.

I guess that's to say that all manner of spellings and accents are welcome.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #56
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The international membership is one of the best aspects of this forum! I've seen non-native English speakers/writers come here and improve their language skills noticeably, and I've watched very young people (native speakers) come and improve their vocabulary and writing skills noticeably. Our insistence upon proper spelling and grammar may seem restrictive to those who are used to acronyms and abbreviations, but a number of them later say that it was a good development for them.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote