The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Pippin gets gipped!

Pippin gets beat out of many things he was given in the books, especially at the Battle of the Black Gate. Before I go further, keep in mind these are only my opinions and you could say a ton of things in relation to "it's better for a movie to..."

Let's take a quick look-

1) Merry's there.
Many will argue that Merry being at the Black Gate didn't bother them at all, but for some people like myself his (however little he may be) presence bothers me. Firstly, he just helped in killing the Witch-King. What's the glory in not showing some war scars after helping put down one of the Dark Lord's greatest soldiers? Merry being at the Black Gate demoted Pippin's growth that he experienced in the books. Pippin going alone was him coming full circle, and it was this confidence that enables him to slay the troll. Some argue that for cinematic purposes, Merry had to be there to show the dedication the Hobbits had for Frodo and Sam. I can't see, however, how he was essentially needed at the battle.

2) No troll.
This is my favorite moment for Pippin, as he slays a gigantic troll and almost kills himself in the process. Think about how big the troll must have been to Pippin, being the size it was to Men. I was hoping to see this, but of course they had to give it to Aragorn, as if he hadn't had enough amazing battles. It would have been good to see Pippin kill it...even though Aragorn doesn't even kill it, it runs away. So, Pippin's milestone is again dampered with the absence of this scene.

I love this whole scene, but I believe Pippin did get gipped in relation to his book counterpart. He did find some credit, though, in saying "the Eagles are coming!" as in the books (although in his head in the books, you can't really pull that off on the big screen in such a scene ). Not to mention, he still does slay a bunch of orcs there! Not bad for a hobbit who had little to no sword training!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I agree. And not only that, but in a roundabout way it also detracts from Merry to have him at the Black Gate.

No-one really remembers Merry's part in the death of the Witch-King. The evil guy dies and, before you know it, the two hobbits are off with Aragorn again. Having a couple of extra seconds showing Pippin alone without Merry would have underlined the sacrifice Merry made, as well as giving Pippin some much needed centre-stage (along with the Troll-slaying, of course).

As it is, it just seems like the two comedy-hobbits are along as baggage; and they are instantly forgettable in the scene at the Black gate, at least to the audience who just think they're for amusement..
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Call me crazy, but Pippin overall was played mediocrely. (is that a word)

Anyway, especially in the scene where Gandalf confronts the Witch King, and gets knocked down, Pippin makes this throaty, bus-driver war cry that would not scare a mouse.

But other than that, Boyd played a great carrot-stealer.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Well, at that point in ROTK, with the Ring nearing the Fire and the Lords of the West challenging the might of Mordor, I'm not too worried about Pippin not getting to use all his testosterone.

Billy Boyd is a magnificent Pippin, though you don't really get to see him shine until the final film. The palantir scene, the meeting Denethor scene, his conversations with Gandalf -- incredible performance. He practically steals half the movie. So no, I don't mind Merry being there too and there not being any troll to kill.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
In total fairness, he can claim credit for rousing the Ents. Plus, in the movie it was Pippin who motivated Sauron to strike too soon.
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would say that not only was Pippin downplayed, but also Merry. These two hobbits were very brave and considerably smart in the books, and they had a great deal of the story line. Their characters were dimmed in the movie - they were made more simplistic and shallow, I personally think.

-- Folwren
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I think Boyd played Pippin greatly...I can't picture anybody else playing him...when I think Pippin, I think Boyd...in my opinion he portrayed him to a "t" (if that's how you use that description, haha).

Merry was a bit downplayed as well, he didn't know AS much as he knew in the books.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Billy Boyd is an amazing actor and did a fantastic job as Pippin. However, as far as me feeling Pippin getting gipped...I'd have to disagree. He was one of those characters that as soon as you read his name on the page or saw him on the screen you couldn't help but smile. Pippin's great!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Somehow I always imagined the two lesser hobbits the other way round. The film really confused me when I watched it for the first time... They shouldn't make films out of books... I really hope they won't make films out of Hobb.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArathorofBarahir
I think Billy Boyd is an amazing actor and did a fantastic job as Pippin. However, as far as me feeling Pippin getting gipped...I'd have to disagree. He was one of those characters that as soon as you read his name on the page or saw him on the screen you couldn't help but smile. Pippin's great!
Of course he's great! Doesn't mean he wasn't a little gipped out of some well deserved scenes
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I was more disappointed that, in going with both Hobbits to the Black Gate, we didn't get to see Merry in the Houses of Healing. The Faramir-Eowyn-Merry friendship, in my opinion, was beautiful. It rounded off all three characters nicely, and let us know that yes, Merry was a team player.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I would say that not only was Pippin downplayed, but also Merry. These two hobbits were very brave and considerably smart in the books, and they had a great deal of the story line. Their characters were dimmed in the movie - they were made more simplistic and shallow, I personally think.

-- Folwren
I agree. Before I read the books I thought both Merry and Pip were silly(sort of). Reading the book made me realize their importance, and that they were no fools.
Still, I feel Pip in movie was fine. Billy Boyd is an awesome actor and I liked him as Pippin. His attack on an Orc when he came to Gandalf to save Faramir's life, him saving Faramir's life are two my favorite moments. Scouring of The Shire would have given both Merry and Pippin little more space had it been added.

Last edited by Lotrelf; 06-20-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Lotrelf is offline   Reply With Quote