The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #121
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You do see fandoms around book series like Twilight.
There are still Twilight fans around..?

Quote:
What really saps my hope for the future status of Tolkien's books in the mainstream
The mainstream is an icky place to be anyway. All the sewage ends up there.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #122
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

But it does answer the question "What do they eat when they can't get hobbits?"
Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #123
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
But it does answer the question "What do they eat when they can't get hobbits?"
Could be that was Galadriels' secret lembas ingredient. Frodo and Sam were running on a sugar high.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #124
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Yes, we are adrift in a sea of idiots, but in many respects we always have been.
Optimism!

Faces fell, forlorn
Words of doom, green and eerie
Y'all should google cats

*pops a few tabs of Pez of Westernesse*

*tosses a dwarf*
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #125
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
*tosses a dwarf*
Hey!

Last edited by Kuruharan; 10-10-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: somehow the code was all broken
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #126
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Hey!
Only in the name of profit! You can't argue the mass appeal of Dwarf-tossing. Also belching.

*belches*
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #127
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Frustrated to see a post from the "J.R.R. Tolkien" official Facebook page come up today on my Facebook news feed. I don't follow the page myself because it's essentially just a promotional/marketing page for the publishers. A Facebook friend had liked this post so it came up.

It was Gandalf's quote to Pippin from the films, "The Return of the King" specifically, about death; the one that repurposes Frodo's arrival in Valinor, with "all is turned to silver glass" and so forth, and misleadingly uses it to describe some kind of pleasant "afterlife" (as opposed to quiet contemplation in the halls of Mandos).

This was posted with "-J.R.R. Tolkien" below it, as if this film quotation, which repurposes some language from the books, was an exact quote from the man himself.

Absolutely pathetic on the part of the publishers and another piece of evidence for how the films actually do distort the public perception of the author, even if they don't "damage" it.

Some comments pointed this out, fortunately, but it turned into the usual useless "book vs film" argument of the calibre typical of Facebook comments sections.

The palimpsest is in full effect, it would seem.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #128
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
It was Gandalf's quote to Pippin from the films, "The Return of the King" specifically, about death; the one that repurposes Frodo's arrival in Valinor, with "all is turned to silver glass" and so forth, and misleadingly uses it to describe some kind of pleasant "afterlife" (as opposed to quiet contemplation in the halls of Mandos).
Unfortunately, a lack of distinction between books and films was an inevitable consequence of the movies' popularity.

To those who haven't read the books, or are only familiar with them through a single reading, it would seem the films are the definitive version of the story.

To me, that line of Blanchett-Galadriel's along the lines of "even the smallest person can change the world", has stuck in my craw because it wants to put itself forward as the "inner meaning" of LOTR.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #129
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Unfortunately, a lack of distinction between books and films was an inevitable consequence of the movies' popularity.
Quite so; it's the official representatives (or at least the publishers) getting in on it that rankles me.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #130
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Quite so; it's the official representatives (or at least the publishers) getting in on it that rankles me.
Are you sure it's not just a mistake by a lowly intern? I mean, instead of being a directive from higher up?

However, the fact that there apparently wasn't a crackdown on this kind of thing after the much worse example you gave earlier does suggest the publishers are unconcerned about the issue- at the very least.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #131
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Are you sure it's not just a mistake by a lowly intern? I mean, instead of being a directive from higher up?

However, the fact that there apparently wasn't a crackdown on this kind of thing after the much worse example you gave earlier does suggest the publishers are unconcerned about the issue- at the very least.
I daresay it was just someone from their social media team, but yes I still think it's very poor form that something "official" can be involved in perpetuating this kind of misinformation and misrepresentation.

The thing that irks me (that no one in the comments on the page appears to have grasped) is that attributing a line of film dialogue (albeit one derived from the books) to Professor Tolkien himself is simply sloppy and unprofessional. Of course, it appears that anyone taking objection is simply told "well the movies were inspired by the books so it doesn't matter." It doesn't make it any less misleading, however.

EDIT: Actually I notice that the post doesn't specifically say "-J.R.R. Tolkien" underneath, it just says "J.R.R. Tolkien" and his dates, so it's technically not presenting it as a quote, and I'm making more of a deal out of this than I should. I still think it's peculiar to quote the films (and an idea from the films, which implies that mortal death is like going to some kind of paradise, which isn't what Professor Tolkien actually wrote) in relation to an author who had absolutely nothing to do with the films.

Last edited by Zigûr; 09-03-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote