The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #41
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Ask and ye shall receive...

...here it is.

From the "I knew those rumors were so ridiculous they had to be true" front - I see a dwarf-bearing chariot drawn by rams...which might not have been quite so bad if I wasn't instantly reminded of the silly barrel-riding sequence and at 1:22 I see what can only be an army of dwarves charging in on what can only be a horde of similar rams.

*sigh*

From the "Oh my gosh, how lazy can you get" front - I see orcs that look like they could have come straight from Isengard from The Two Towers (I guess they wanted to reuse the armor to hold down costs) and a song from the previous trilogy.

To say they appear to be phoning it in is an insult to the comparatively high standards of actual phoning it in.

And then we have the end of the trailer. I'm sure New Zealand is a lovely country...but seriously, does the entire economy of the country revolve around these movies now?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Beaten me to the punch, Kuru, I was about to post this.

Gut-punch more like.

Dwarves riding rams. For goodness' sake.

"It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing."
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Can't wait to get into the heated discussion of which is faster: Radagast's bunny sled or this Dwarven chariot.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #44
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Silmaril

I'm unimpressed. The amount of recycling old imagery in these films hurts as it is, and now we're even getting Galadriel's feet.

Peter Jackson shows he hasn't improved as a director one bit in these 15 years. Most of the youtube comments seemed doubtful too.

Some scenes did look visually better than the first two films in general, though. And mind you I'm not talking about the CGI and the unrealistic fighting choreographies here.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #45
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
"I will have war!"

Give me a break.

It all seems very much darker than the book. They're trying to build it up to a climax rivaling the big showdown at the Morannon in ROTK. "Recycled" is the best word I can think to describe it. And why does PJ have only two modes with these films: goofy slapstick and overblown dramatics?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #46
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
And why does PJ have only two modes with these films: goofy slapstick and overblown dramatics?
That's the only two modes I've ever seen in PJ's films anyway. Perhaps he's like that in real life too. Now that I think of it, those modes would make for an entertaining family comedy.

If they wanted a bigger climax they should have done the War of Wrath, not the prequel to the climax of the Third Age.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #47
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Another point that adds to the silliness of the rams; the dwarves were shown in the first movie riding large ponies. What is the need to have them riding rams?

Obviously, they do have to ride. They can't just march into battle like they did in the book. That would be silly.

We have to recreate the charge of Rohirrim from ROTK after all.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #48
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
"Peter Jackson has got your goat!"
I snicker with a sheepish grin:
First coneys and sleds to rabbit on,
And just as the plot wore thin,
This new haresy to aggravate ewe --
A film-induced coma
From the barnyard aroma
Wafting above the din.

But Pete shall ram his petty view --
This parody, this jest, this mock --
Down the collective throats of those
Like lambs who wait patiently in the dock,
And blindly submit
While they sit through the sh*t
This fleecing of the flock.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #49
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And why does PJ have only two modes with these films: goofy slapstick and overblown dramatics?
I feel like that is something which has become true of all kinds of adventure and capital-r Romance media in general (which we might otherwise clinically term 'speculative fiction'). It all feels like 'soap operas and sit coms but with dragons and robots' to me these days, nothing with that "applicability" which was so valuable to Professor Tolkien.

In my opinion the modern, mainstream Western 'culture industry' may currently be at one of its lowest points in terms of anti-intellectualism and fatuousness (yes I know 'fatuous' is one of my favourite words), turning everything into this sort of homogenous cultural gruel of adaptations, reboots and revivals of older texts and properties which are chewed up and regurgitated as identical, generic slop. As a wise man once said, "I guess if you feed humanity flavourless wallpaper paste for decades then you shouldn't be surprised if that's all they want to eat now." But it's a chicken-and-egg problem really, the industry feeding the consumers and vice-versa. That being said, I think a lot of blame lies with the current intensity of the corporatocratic grip on our politics and economics: lazy, stock storytelling feeds the bottom line a lot more readily than, I don't know, dignity or meaning.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #50
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
In my opinion the modern, mainstream Western 'culture industry' may currently be at one of its lowest points in terms of anti-intellectualism and fatuousness (yes I know 'fatuous' is one of my favourite words), turning everything into this sort of homogenous cultural gruel of adaptations, reboots and revivals of older texts and properties which are chewed up and regurgitated as identical, generic slop. As a wise man once said, "I guess if you feed humanity flavourless wallpaper paste for decades then you shouldn't be surprised if that's all they want to eat now." But it's a chicken-and-egg problem really, the industry feeding the consumers and vice-versa. That being said, I think a lot of blame lies with the current intensity of the corporatocratic grip on our politics and economics: lazy, stock storytelling feeds the bottom line a lot more readily than, I don't know, dignity or meaning.
And this is precisely the reason I have so little use for the vast majority of films released in the last 15 years or so. I'm only hoping a reboot won't be in the cards for LOTR ever. Noting the trend of such movies, I have no illusion it would be any sort of improvement over PJ, but I fear would instead be an even worse example of hack-and-slash Michael Beyism.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #51
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Smug the Fabulous has just left Hobbiton.
So...the mind of Peter Jackson:
"Pfft! Horses are overrated! A white horse for Radagast like in the books? Nope! Let's have him on a sled drawn by bunnies...Rhosgobel Rabbits, shall we say, eh, loyal book fans?" (wink wink) "And let's have Thranduil riding an elk, cause he's from the woods and who has ever heard of horses in a wood, am I right? And let's now give the dwarves a chariot drawn by rams...oh, Jackson, you've done it again, you masterful storyteller, you!" (Reclines on a chair and looks at the comment section on his Facebook page).

But in all seriousness, the computer effects looked...well, terrible and...
The. Attempts. At. Being. DRAMATIC!

...are still cringey. I have yet to come up with the amount of jokes I had with The Desolation of Smaug trailer. I have a feeling this might be the worst film of them all (though I've only watched An Unexpected Journey and felt like watching DOS for the sake of it, but the fan comments on Peter Jackson's Facebook seriously put me off with the whole "But books and films are different mediums" and the usual nonsense).

Sorry to suddenly barge in on the conversation. This is my first time posting on the site but I just watched this teaser and felt I really needed to say something about it.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Smug the Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:49 AM   #52
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smug the Fabulous View Post
Sorry to suddenly barge in on the conversation. This is my first time posting on the site but I just watched this teaser and felt I really needed to say something about it.
No need to apologise, this is what discussion forums are for!

DoS is ten times worse than AUJ. You've missed nothing not seeing it.

I shouldn't check this thread at work though, remembering all these horrors makes me cringe and sooner or later coworkers will start asking about the funny face.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #53
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
DoS is ten times worse than AUJ. You've missed nothing not seeing it.
For me it's a dilemma. I think both films are incredibly flawed but for different reasons.

A lot of commentators online seem to be arguing that three films were necessary for the plot to make sense and so on. I think that would be more true if the screenplays trusted the source material more. One thing I will say for these films is that although both of the ones which have come out so far are about 45 minutes to an hour too long, I don't necessarily object to the different 'episodes' of the original text being given room to breathe.

If I'm to be perfectly honest I'm actually not averse to the current 'trilogy' structure as such, but for it to work it would have to hew more closely to the source material and focus more on characterisation and atmosphere than additional action. If there is one thing these films seem to get praised for with zero substantiation it's the idea of characterisation, since in my view it's either totally generic characterisation (Bilbo and Thorin) or there is no characterisation where there could be (most of the other Dwarves).

We've still got the books, though, haven't we? Books with big pictures of Martin Freeman on the cover.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #54
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Books with big pictures of Martin Freeman on the cover.
Galling, isn't it.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #55
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Galling, isn't it.
Martin Freeman is in The Hobbit? What character does he play? I always thought he'd make an excellent Bilbo Baggins.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #56
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

What's galling is that many books now have movie imagery plastered all over them.

In my opinion he hasn't made a particularly great Bilbo Baggins.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #57
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Yeah, to be honest, Freeman's performance as Bilbo is a bit too deadpan. It's kind of difficult to imagine that this hobbit would one day be Ian Holm's Bilbo.
"It is everywhere. It is everything. Its scales glisten in the bark of trees. Its roar is heard in the wind. And its forked tongue strikes like... *lightning strikes* whoa! Like lightning!"-Merlin, Excalibur(1981)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #58
IxnaY AintsaY
Haunting Spirit

IxnaY AintsaY has just left Hobbiton.
I can't even judge Freeman's performances in the context of the horrible screenplays. The worst I can say for sure is that he's drowned out, where perhaps a greater actor could manage to steal or subvert the show, while the rest goes to hell in a handbasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
"Peter Jackson has got your goat!"
I snicker with a sheepish grin:
First coneys and sleds to rabbit on,
And just as the plot wore thin,
This new haresy to aggravate ewe --
A film-induced coma
From the barnyard aroma
Wafting above the din.

But Pete shall ram his petty view --
This parody, this jest, this mock --
Down the collective throats of those
Like lambs who wait patiently in the dock,
And blindly submit
While they sit through the sh*t
This fleecing of the flock.
That's good.
From without the World, though all things may be forethought in music or foreshown in vision from afar, to those who enter verily into Eä each in its time shall be met at unawares as something new and unforetold.
IxnaY AintsaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #59
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Well I've been putting it off, but seeing the discussion here I finally watched it.

Quote:
Peter Jackson shows he hasn't improved as a director one bit in these 15 years.
I guess I must be some kind of optimist at heart. When the Hobbit movies finally moved out of legal limbo and into production, I hoped that Peter Jackson had matured as a filmmaker in the intervening years. Unfortunately, it seems he has only come to fully embrace all of his worst instincts, while discarding his few directorial virtues (filming on location, practical effects when possible).

Quote:
In my opinion [Freeman] hasn't made a particularly great Bilbo Baggins.
Again, I was cautiously optimistic when Freeman was cast, but now it's quite clear to me that he is wrong for the role. He has one schtick -- bumfuzzled everyman. God bless him he's working it as hard as he can and presumably socking away a nice retirement nest egg. But Bilbo ain't "everyman".
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #60
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Again, I was cautiously optimistic when Freeman was cast, but now it's quite clear to me that he is wrong for the role. He has one schtick -- bumfuzzled everyman. God bless him he's working it as hard as he can and presumably socking away a nice retirement nest egg. But Bilbo ain't "everyman".
He really lost me during the inside the mountain sequence of DoS.

I realize it was not entirely his fault, but everything about his performance was just bad. The Gollum sequence in UJ was pretty good(ish), but the Smaug sequence was just bad.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #61
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
He really lost me during the inside the mountain sequence of DoS.

I realize it was not entirely his fault, but everything about his performance was just bad. The Gollum sequence in UJ was pretty good(ish), but the Smaug sequence was just bad.
I wouldn't says he's actually bad, it's more that he sort of overplays underplaying it (if that makes any sense).
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #62
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
Originally posted by tom the eldest
I wonder what the reaction of tolkien community when the movie is released......
I gave up on PJ movies after the first Hobbit movie atrocity (although the Long
expected Party beginning was acceptable).

PJ has shown a long decline from the pretty good FoTR, thru worsening TTT and
RoTK. But afteer the first Hobbit absurdities (including making Goblin Town a laughably improbable scene---in the book the size of goblins, escape from them, etc, are believable in Tolkien's subcreation. PJ just has become more and more cartoonish. Exactly what Tolkien feared of "Hollywoodism".
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #63
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I wouldn't says he's actually bad, it's more that he sort of overplays underplaying it (if that makes any sense).
Knocking on a pillar in a diffident attempt to determine if Smaug is still home seems pretty bad to me.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #64
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
couldnt they at least find some nice stunt feet for Galadriel? those great flapping feet were a real turn off, no wonder Gandalf fainted.
FerniesApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #65
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
couldnt they at least find some nice stunt feet for Galadriel? those great flapping feet were a real turn off, no wonder Gandalf fainted.
She's thousands of years old, what do you expect?

In any case, I don't think they made that scene with the intention of turning you on.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #66
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
She's thousands of years old, what do you expect?

In any case, I don't think they made that scene with the intention of turning you on.

I dont think they made that scene with the intention of making me imagine Gollum in a long White lacy dress tho.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #67
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
With this crew, how can you be sure?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #68
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
With this crew, how can you be sure?
*cough* Legolas.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #69
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Not to mention whats down Kilis pants

thanks for lowering the tone Jackson.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #70
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

That's one of the things I read about The Desolation of Smaug that really put me off seeing it...the "what's in my trousers" thing. One of the things I liked about the book was there was a gentle humour, which I saw in An Unexpected Journey had given way to burp and snot jokes. And then we have some penis jokes.
All very subtle...like a herd of charging oliphaunts.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #71
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
From Aristophanes to Peter Jackson, penis jokes never get old.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #72
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

That is true. My personal favourite example would be "The Penis Song" from "Monty Python's Meaning of Life". But if there's a time when they're really out of place and inappropriate for the material being dealt with, it's a Tolkien adaptation (even if it's being directed by Peter Jackson). Well, that and children's programmes.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #73
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

I also disliked the 'fleeting nudity' scene in Rivendell. the Dwarves looked like they were cgi generated (could be wrong) but it made me cringe. I HATED all those scenes with the Dwarves in Rivendell, they were crude, rude and totally unfunny. I hated the pained look on Elronds face, Rivendell shouldnt be besmirched by cheap humour. it cheapens the beauty of Rivendell in LOTR in a weird way. imho.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #74
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
I also disliked the 'fleeting nudity' scene in Rivendell. the Dwarves looked like they were cgi generated (could be wrong) but it made me cringe. I HATED all those scenes with the Dwarves in Rivendell, they were crude, rude and totally unfunny. I hated the pained look on Elronds face, Rivendell shouldnt be besmirched by cheap humour. it cheapens the beauty of Rivendell in LOTR in a weird way. imho.
Then again, everything in the movie looked computer generated. Nothing felt believable in The Hobbit. Every place they were in, there was a sense they were either on a set or performing in front of a green screen, or both...(well, apart from some of the mountains and the place where the wargs were chasing Radagast). There's no sense that what you're seeing is there. You're just seeing some actors in heavy makeup kicking the @#$% out of a bunch of CGI goblins.
Not the most original criticism I put here, because from the reviews I have read, everyone's pretty much said it, including Viggo Mortensen. Just letting out the bitter disappointment I felt when I first watched this.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #75
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Yeah me too. but I cant be bothered with anger any more, gone past that into weary indifference.
I would like to see those 'Hunt for Gollum' people have a go at The Hobbit. Low tech seems so refreshing after all this plastic Las Vagas style ME. Give me good old fashioned tramping round real forests in coloured hoods anyday. Even Martin Freeman with a good script and a chance to show what a great actor he is. He is forced to gurn his way through the movies because he doesnt have anything to say and is mostly in the background looking bewildered.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #76
Smug the Fabulous
Pile O'Bones

So a better title for this trilogy wouldn't be The Hobbit because the hobbit is more or less in the background, but instead would be:
The Grim and Serious Dwarf trying to claim back his homeland while trying to do an Impression of Viggo Mortensen at some times, but other times he's doing an impression of Sean Bean...: An Unexpected Journey
But then considering the other things going on:
The Series of Various Events which some way tie in with the events of The Lord of the Rings: An Unexpected Journey
Or...
The Hobbit...is somewhere in this film but look at all these cool action scenes: An Unexpected Journey
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #77
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots An irreverent interruption

Quote:
And this is precisely the reason I have so little use for the vast majority of films released in the last 15 years or so. I'm only hoping a reboot won't be in the cards for LOTR ever. Noting the trend of such movies, I have no illusion it would be any sort of improvement over PJ, but I fear would instead be an even worse example of hack-and-slash Michael Beyism.
I'm using the excuse that Michael Bey has already been referenced in this thread as an excuse to share this.

On a serious note, this satire does show much of what is wrong with contemporary movie making.

We now return to the regularly scheduled thread.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #78
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
I'm using the excuse that Michael Bey has already been referenced in this thread as an excuse to share this.

On a serious note, this satire does show much of what is wrong with contemporary movie making.

We now return to the regularly scheduled thread.
hmm looks like Bay has already made The Hobbit
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #79
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Just think of what would happen if J.J. Abrams is tapped to do the remake of LOTR and add another notch in his belt of destroying franchises...

Although admittedly, there isn't much left of the pop culture LOTR that wasn't destroyed already.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #80
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots This happened

I'm picking up that bats are important.

We get to have a big showdown in Dol Guldur...

Lots of cheezy one-liners...

Continued march of the Arkenring through Thorin's personality...

Fili (possibly dying) gives his silly rock to elf lady (or maybe it is Kili, even I can't keep them straight)...

Bilbo attempts to recreate Aragorn's (over-rated in my opinion) inspirational speech from RotK...

Orcs somehow look worse and more cgi than ever (one of them even seemed to bend in un-natural and physically impossible ways like a stretchyorc).

Did anybody see anything that surprised them?

Last edited by Kuruharan; 11-08-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote