The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Herald of Mandos
Newly Deceased

Herald of Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
1420! New Middle Earth Films Announced!!!

Has anyone else seen this??? What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access Hollywood
In a surprise press conference today, Peter Jackson announced his return to Middle-earth, at the helm of a series of "Middle-earth Anthology" films.

"After helping to bring Tolkien's true vision to life with the "Hobbit" trilogy," says the director, "I frankly felt burnt out with Middle-earth. It had taken so much of my life- and there just didn't seem to be any more of Tolkien's writings to draw on, even in the Appendices.

But then, you know, when you think about it, there are still so many unanswered questions. How did Aragorn meet Arwen? What really happened to Frodo's parents? What does Elrond do in his spare time? How did Thranduil get those scars? What adventures did Legolas and Young Aragorn get up to? Where does pipeweed come from? Who is Tom Bombadil?"

Jackson chuckled at the suggestion that he was operating under heavy studio pressure to compete with the Disney-owned "Star Wars" films.

"That's ridiculous. These are stories that need to be told- stories that Tolkien would have wanted us to tell. We owe it to him, really. We're certainly not trying to copy any other franchise- I don't know why you would think that."

"Ranger One: A Middle-earth Story" is set to hit the big screen in December.

Last edited by Herald of Mandos; 04-01-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Herald of Mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril Sounds awful

To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it 'Sounds awful'.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
To quote Marvin the Paranoid Android in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, it 'Sounds awful'.
"Awful" to you and me, dollar signs to PJ! He's still the April Fool in my book.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm still trying to figure out if The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies was an April Fool's hoax.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
The Eye

Oh, yes, it's all fun and games now, but this thread is going to read very differently in a year or two, when it actually comes true
Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Oh, yes, it's all fun and games now, but this thread is going to read very differently in a year or two, when it actually comes true
Yes. Following the advice of Gandalf, we should not jest about serious matters. Evil never sleeps.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What are you talking about? I can't wait for the history of the wereworms to come out.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
What are you talking about? I can't wait for the history of the wereworms to come out.
You know, you're right. Just look at all these fascinating topics in the "Books" forum, waiting to be turned into cinematic epics!

How did Gollum get out of Moria?

Why didn't Morgulduin pollute the lower Anduin?

Why did Aragorn not tell the Fellowship Gollum was following them?

Who on middle-earth is Lotho?

Languages Smaug spoke

Where do elves get metal?

what would possibly exist in the farthest east?

And that's just from page one!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe This one

Don't forget this one:

Was Tolkien a racist, a sexist, or both?

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 04-03-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
I want a three hour movie of Elrond doing his taxes - pausing occasionally to sigh at the futility of it all and mutter to himself.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I want a three hour movie of Elrond doing his taxes - pausing occasionally to sigh at the futility of it all and mutter to himself.
Our list of accountants grows thin.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Elrond doesn't pay taxes. He founded Imladris as a non-profit home for "refugees" from those in Eriador displaced by Sauron's war. Housing the Heir of Isildur later was completely under the table.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Elrond doesn't pay taxes. He founded Imladris as a non-profit home for "refugees" from those in Eriador displaced by Sauron's war. Housing the Heir of Isildur later was completely under the table.
A registered charity then? Accepting hobbits for volunteering positions?
Old 04-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
A registered charity then? Accepting hobbits for volunteering positions?
Hobbitat For Humanity!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #15
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
How sad is it that turning Elrond into a tax-dodging slum lord would still be less offensive than much of The Hobbit trilogy?