The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots Closed thread policies

Hello, I am just curious as to the reason my thread "Numenor and America" was closed. I couldn't see a proper reason for it, but it seemed that you, Mr. Barrow-wight, closed it out of disagreeing with the main point. As you said at one point:

Quote:
Let's not get too hopeful that America founders. Afteall, the Downs is located there. Keep your 'anti' thoughts outta my American barrow.
Which I take pride in being an American for the fact that I am allowed to question my own government without penalty, for our freedom makes us Amricans. I appreciated Drigel's more conservative opinion (even if it was a little condescending) because it showed another side. After his post you closed it, as if you thought all that was needed to be said was said. Obviously I would've PMed the BW about this, but I'd like to take opinions on the matter, and if we should leave politics out of Tolkien.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Though it was an interesting thread Bombadil, I can see why it was closed. I can't see many cases where current politics fits into discussions on Tolkien.

However, if you would like to have some political debate with other Downers, I recommend putting something in your signature which asks for an opinion on an issue. I find that this is particularly good because Downers tend to be clever, articulate people. At the moment I am engaged in an entertaining and thoughtful debate with The Only Real Estel which came about because I noted the subject in his signature.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
there's a 50/50 chance this thread will be closed...;)

Sometimes I felt really annoyed too when BW closed down a certain thread I thought was pretty interesting/funny/whatever. I got over it pretty soon though because there were many other interesting/fun threads around. Of course his decision to close threads is subjective, but the truth is, he's king of the castle, it's his forum and he's got the right to do it. And I understand that he's trying to mantain a certain quality of posts here and a focus on Tolkien's works.

Which brings me to:
Quote:
if we should leave politics out of Tolkien
. Hmmm, if it's present politics I believe we should, because they can be in no way relevant/have had an impact on Tolkien's writings. Another thing can be said about history. I believe history and its impact on Tolkien can be discussed, if one remains objective about it, but the problem with politics is that it makes one biased. I for one dislike the very word and would much rather argue about my favourite colour since the odds are just the same I'd make the other agree with me.

EDIT: cross posted with Eomer - who apparently doesn't share my view of politics...

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 07-22-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
You only have to wonder whether you should discuss politics or not if you also wonder whether you should stick to the Downs' rules.
Closing a thread is not necessarily a statement that the Barrow administration disagress with anything that has been said categorically; rather, the point is that it shouldn't have been said _in this forum_.
Signatures are a part of the forum for all matters.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:22 AM   #5
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I close topics that break rules.

It is irrelevant if I agreed or disagreed with the last post on that particular thread. I closed the thread because we don't have political conversations here in the Downs (unless they are purely about Middle-earth). This remains a forum dedicated to the discussion of Middle-earth, where I don't recall there being an America to love or hate. Rest assured, if I've closed a topic without explaining myself, the topic is breaking a rule that shouldn't need explaining.

Regarding signatures, there shouldn't be political or religious statements in them, including opinion polls. Occassional some slip past our attention, but eventually we see too many and we send out notices for people to change them (I've been seeing a trend lately, even... perhaps it is time once again). The Downs is not a forum for any agenda other than HOBBIT POWER!

Last edited by The Barrow-Wight; 07-23-2004 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added signature info.
The Barrow-Wight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Regarding signatures

Understood.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bombadil
Boots

I see... Thank you Sharku and BW, I guess I need to freshen up on the rules a bit more. I thank you for giving the thread time for response before you shut it down though. I am no fan of joining our world with Tolkien's because I like to use his as an escape. But it seems I can't help it, but I will try my best to avoid such threads in the future. I suppose this thread will be closed now.