The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #121
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, thank you, Mirkgirl.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:56 AM   #122
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Custom User Status

I tried to change my custom user status, but the option to change it isn't there. How can I change it?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #123
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ho hooooooooo, anybody home?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:59 PM   #124
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Thorongil, please explain what you mean by 'custom user status' - I'll try to help.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #125
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
If an option's not there, it's not implemented, either because it's impossible, or because we elected not to (such as the changing of member names and titles by the members themselves).
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:34 AM   #126
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The text under your name like for example "ghost prince of Cardolan". Isn't theat what the vBulletin FAQ refers to as "Custom user status"?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #127
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As Sharkû said, you cannot change your own status. Up to 500 posts, it changes automatically when you reach a certain number of posts; after that, the administration may choose to allow a personal title. (Those chosen are notified by the admins/moderators.) For more details, please check the Barrow-Downs FAQ thread at the top of the Novices and Newcomers forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 AM   #128
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ok, thanks for helping. I must have misread the FAQ, because I thought it came automatically after 500 posts.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #129
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
polls?

I've noticed that some threads, (in the 'thread tools' area) have an option of 'add a poll to this thread'. Some lack such an option. What is the algorithm? That is, I was not able to work out the principle - at first I thought that such an option was valid for current forum, but than, some threads here lack it too.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #130
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

I just noticed (thanks to Bethberry) than when you click on the post cound to the right of a thread, in the Forum list, it gives you a breakdown of who posted how many times! I find that very cool! Was that always there, or am I as much of a spaz as I lead on?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:06 PM   #131
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Boots

Yes
Old 09-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #132
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
My signature won't show up. I type it, preview it and save it, and it shows up on my member profile, but not under individual posts. Have I been black-listed?
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:37 PM   #133
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

SoN do you have your "Show Signatures" box checked in your User CP under Edit Options?

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #134
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Yes.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #135
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Hmm. I wonder why your sig showed up this time, but not that time. Curious.

Last edited by Imladris; 09-18-2004 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Avatars and sigs are not the same thing
Old 09-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #136
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I see it in the latter of your two posts on the page, Son. (Previous but one, that is)

Old 09-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #137
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
btw, I set your sig to what it is now, Son ("Son of Númenor") because I found your signature block empty in your user panel. Please try resetting it to what you want it to be.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #138
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Question

Once again, the subject of avatars has risen (thanks to me).

I can`t get my avatar to work! I followed all of your steps but I keep get a message that says the URL does not exist. I have tried it with several different avatars, and I`m sure I`m getting the right URL, but it still does not work. Can you help me?

Also I are there any sites I can get an avatar from that you know work?

Thag you very buch!
Old 09-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #139
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Some sites do not allow their images to be linked, Nimrodel - that could be your problem. To find avatar sites, try searching for "avatar" with Google - you should come up with plenty of possibilities.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #140
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
Are there any sites I can get an avatar from that you know work?
You can also upload pics from your computer to be your avatar. They have to be 64 by 64 pixels or less. If you find an image you really like but it's too big and you don't have a program to cut them down to size, PM me with your email address and I'll cut them for you.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #141
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Ok, help me out on this. How do I upload pictures from my computer for my avatar? Sorry, I`m not very skilled in the ways of a computer.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #142
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Click on your User CP.

Click on Edit Avatar.

Scroll down. Here you will see two options. The top one will have "Enter avatar URL" over a blank space. You do not want this option if you are uploading.

You want the second space which says, " Upload an Avatar From Your Computer". Beside the white space it will have a small grey button that says "Browse." Click that button.

When you push that, it will open a window with all of the documents, files, and pictures in it. From here on out, it's just like selecting and navigating in My Pictures. So, go to my Pictures, click a picture that is within the 64 by 64 pixels limitations, and double click. THe window will disappear and the file name will appear in the white box.

Push save changes.

Voile. Avatar.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:25 PM   #143
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Nevermind, I figured it out. (How do you like it? I love Dominic!) Our computer is very complicated. (For a not-so-smart person like me.) I spent an hour on it yesterday. Now I did it in like, 5 minutes. Thankyou so much for your help though! It`s great to have people who pay attention to you. And I must say Barrow-Wight, that the Barrow-Downs has the best forums I have ever been to.

Nimrodel
Old 11-21-2004, 02:03 AM   #144
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I can't give reps to BDers I deem deserving!

I click on the scale, then after a few moments a message appears saying that "A popup window has been blocked." Is that the fault of the computer I'm using, or are there external forces trying to stop me from being a generous BDer?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:21 AM   #145
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I think your computer is blocking popups. Go under Tools and Web Options or whatever your browser calls it and see if your computer is checked to block popups.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #146
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

How do you put pics on? I tried, but it won't work.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #147
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
It may sound silly thing to say, I mean, I even haven't been around before this current version came into play, but I'd like to sya I like it

But I will back up Assasin's question. it says to use [img ] and [/img ] codes, but it does not work

I mean, do you see any pictures:

Funny now that I previewed this, I see the picture. But I swear the pic did not show up last time I tried to put one in. Funny
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #148
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Real ghosts? :O

I checked Esgallhugwen's public profile (I hope she doesn't mind being named) to see her last post, so I could judge if she was still coming fairly recently or not.

Her PP didn't show a "last post." All it said in that area was "offline" as usual, but no last post above this.

I went to the member list and checked "last activity" there. Again, by her name, the space was blank. Why can I not see her last activity?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #149
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I finally figured this one out (all thanks to Werewolf ). As far as I can tell, it's because the last time that person was online, they were on invisible mode. So if you sort the Member's List according to last visit and go to about page 45, you see a whole bunch of people who don't have their last visit date - basically anyone who has played werewolf recently - because they've been invisible.

Last edited by Firefoot; 07-04-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:55 AM   #150
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Ah, thanks Firefoot. I'll go check that out. I'm afraid Esgallhugwen's computer has broken or something, as we haven't seen her since her unfortunate demise in WWIV. I hope she gets back soon.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #151
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Two questions

1) How do I do this with the WYSIWYG editor? (That is, link something with a different name).

2) What is an Active Topic?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #152
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
1. Type in the "other name", highlight it, then hit the link button and enter the link in the popup box.

2. Active Topics are just topics that have recently been posted on.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #153
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Thank you very much.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #154
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, I know I've heard this before, but could someone please refresh my memory. I am currently 'Shade of Carn Dûm' and I know I still have to be 'Ghost Prince of Cardolan' (at least) before I'll get to have my own title. But how and when do you get to have your own unique title?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #155
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"Don't call us, we'll call you."

A personal title is not a right, it's a privilege that is offered by the Barrow-Wight. There's nothing automatic about the offer; when he feels that it's time to honour those who have posted not only quantity (i.e. numerous posts), but also quality (worthwhile contributions), he will contact those who are entitled to choose a personal title.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #156
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Not sure exactly where to post this, but...

Just now, I tried to go to the main page/forum index/whatever and found myself staring at a blank screen with these words on it:
Quote:
Red Devils Crew Here by Saudi-x ... hey admin [ You Are Currently Needed To Die .. !!! ]
I don't know what this means or what is going on here. All other pages seem to be working alright, though.

EDIT: When I try to get there by clicking on a link, it just gives me a "page not found" thing.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #157
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, Meneltarmacil, that happened to me, too! I had to get in by clicking on a PM that was in my e-mail. It's working normally now, but that was kinda scary. I was like, uh-oh, no Barrowdowns. *faint*
Old 08-02-2005, 06:13 PM   #158
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Bear in mind that in the rare case of a hack such as this, it's always only temporary. That's what backups are for, no cause for panic.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #159
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Just out of curiosity…

I have noticed that some days the ‘Active Topics’ list can be a few pages long, and at other times it is quite brief. Putting it down to a slow day, I haven’t thought much about it. Now I am not so sure. This morning only one thread was listed when I checked, but I know that more than that had been posted on as I received email notices. Does anyone know what criteria the program is looking at? It is beginning to take on a magical, or at least arbitrary, aspect in my mind.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #160
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

24 hours prior to time of checking, as far as I know

As for seeing only one, probably your browser had the cookies stored of the previous checking, when indeed there was only one new topic. Next time try to refresh if it looks funny

This, or something else I can't think of