The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,959
Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Thinlómien is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Thinlómien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Who did 'er in, then?
You, most probably.

I have only twenty minutes now, so excuse me for bantering this little. Off to business then...

There's eighteen of us and only three ringwraiths. Granted, there's an informer to help them, but still, I would say our situation looks quite good.

Which exactly might be the problem. Villages with the setting that favours the innocent surprisingly often leads to their loss, because they become careless and entangled in silly discussions because they feel no hurry to catch the wolves. So let's not do that this time.

And *hint hint* that also means we could move away from banter to more serious suttf, if anyone has anything at all to say.

So maybe I'll start about that.

My opinion on this bantering? It annoys me a little because I subconsciously assume this game has already been going for for 5-8 hours although in reality, we only started 3h ago. So I should not be harsh.

But given that there were so many people around, one could imagine they'd have come up with something. Anything. Even such sort of useless and obvious discussion about roles and setting like I just started. So, do we have just a few ordos having fun? A cobbler messing around *glares at Gollum and sally* or even wolves who feel the most comfortable talking nonsense?

*happy sigh* I missed ww. Hmm, anyway, I'd better leave for work in ten minutes. I'll be back in ten hours or a bit more, I hope I can expect everybody has posted by then and that there will be talk - about other subjects than mattresses, drinks and stellar signs too....
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #42
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,163
Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Besides, I'm far too adorable to be a wraith. Now who wants to buy me some ale? Legate?
Never, young one. Drinking is not for the young ones like you. You have to be accustomed to drinking. Could any Ringwraith pass me a drink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
Oh, and clearly our troubles will be solved if everyone clearly states their birth sign.
A herring. Sorry, that would be pisces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
*Dodges* What are, you, a clown? Hey, that gives me a great idea! Join up with me on my next trip and I'll get you into a travelling circus!
Trying to get together, eh? An Informer and a Ringwraith, no less! Kill them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
There's eighteen of us and only three ringwraiths. Granted, there's an informer to help them, but still, I would say our situation looks quite good.

Which exactly might be the problem. Villages with the setting that favours the innocent surprisingly often leads to their loss, because they become careless and entangled in silly discussions because they feel no hurry to catch the wolves. So let's not do that this time.

And *hint hint* that also means we could move away from banter to more serious suttf, if anyone has anything at all to say.

So maybe I'll start about that.

My opinion on this bantering? It annoys me a little because I subconsciously assume this game has already been going for for 5-8 hours although in reality, we only started 3h ago. So I should not be harsh.
Now at least something in-game which makes me unnerved. Great As well as Brinn's post a little. But that is most likely just because they are the first ones to actually say something, which is of course a good thing for a Ringwraith to start turning suspicion towards some victims. Not that their points would be incorrect: we should really try to discuss something more important. But the Day has just started, and I hope people will acknowledge by themselves that it is reasonable to speak reasonable and not just mess around. But it's maybe just something in Lommy's phrasing which I find weird. But as it has been just one and quick post, then of course I will wait for further input to state anything. But I just wanted to say this, as it's far better than to say "bring me some ale", or even "we should discuss serious stuff" (which is not an information of any value by itself either. I always want to ask people who go around and post things like this, and nothing more, what serious things would they discuss. Or rather, perhaps they should instead lead by example and just do it).

P.S. I don't know what suttf is, but I certainly don't want to meet that in the middle of a dark alley at night.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #43
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,163
Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
People are not postiiiing, yah-dah-dah-dadey...

Everybody's laaaa-zyyyy...

This way, comrades, this way we won't ever build that socialism.

Erm... okay. Hey, but our comrades in the Shire almost succeeded already... just need to get rid of a few Baggins exploiters and everything's gonna be fine...

The Shire needs five thousand new tractors. Why is there a weapons dealer, and not a tractor dealer?

All hail to the People's Republic of Michel Delving! Waiting for comrade Sharkey to arrive to set things right.

Hobbitton needs a new mill.

And what about our village? Are we going to stay behind? I take the pledge to supply Bree with five hundred herrings per day. Every herring is a serious blow to the Western imperialism. Which means probably the Dwarves from the Blue Mountains. Yeah, they think they have a monopoly on everything.

Bree needs to produce more charcoal! Heaps all over the edges of Chetwood.

Or are you not going to post in order to make me being silly here? Yes, pretty much succesful.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #44
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hello bunnies.

What is it that the day has been going for six hours and there's already two pages? I'm not used to this. *okay reads the two pages and is not surprised anymore*

I am concerned about Menel based solely on the narration. Something more sinister just sounds awfully bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Oh, and clearly our troubles will be solved if everyone clearly states their birth sign.
I'm Capricorn. Or Sagittarius. I'm not quite sure which one. I wonder what that makes me, Sagittarius being a fire sign and Capricorn an earth one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
feel free to help yourself to some pie.
Thank you! Mmm... this is goo- WHAT? A finger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
There's eighteen of us and only three ringwraiths. Granted, there's an informer to help them, but still, I would say our situation looks quite good.
Thus far. However I find it quite possible the wraiths will learn Ferny's identity soon enough as xe can give them xer opinions etc. Plus, if the wraiths attack the Ring-bearer they get a fourth member to their team. In the worst case there might sooner or later be five baddies around.

I'm not overly fond of the banter either. I find showing off with my post count worth my while only when I've actually posted some serious substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
A herring. Sorry, that would be pisces.
Liar. You're Cancer. That is, a crab.

Okay some things about the roles.

The seer cannot trust xer dreams completely as Ferny is revealed as an ordo. I assume Ferny counts as an ordo in numbers, then, too? Has the seer dreamed already?

I wonder what should be done with Frodo. We might not want to lynch xem as long as xe's an ordo but we also wouldn't like to get xem wolf-killed.

Comrade Legate is being sensible. However, the situation being as it is, I think the Socialist Republic of Breeland needs a strong intelligency agency to spy on every citizen in order to find the wrongdoers. Let's make this a police state until things are solved!
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #45
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,163
Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Hello bunnies.
Who do you call a bunny? Are you not the person who calls rabbits conies, when you don't turn their Frodos to wolves? Or something very similar.

Quote:
Thus far. However I find it quite possible the wraiths will learn Ferny's identity soon enough as xe can give them xer opinions etc. Plus, if the wraiths attack the Ring-bearer they get a fourth member to their team. In the worst case there might sooner or later be five baddies around.
Well, there is still enough of us for the time being. And there is quite a large chance that, hopefully, we may lynch a Wolf, or the Informer, or in the worst case, poor Mr. Frodo (still better than lynching just an ordinary Ordo, or a Gifted, of course). However, and here I agree with what's been said here, we really should not overestimate our situation and try to go after the wolves as hard as if there were nine of them.

Quote:
Liar. You're Cancer. That is, a crab.
Not from a Jedi.

Sorry, I meant to say: Not in this village.

Quote:
The seer cannot trust xer dreams completely as Ferny is revealed as an ordo. I assume Ferny counts as an ordo in numbers, then, too?
I would assume so. Although it makes little sense, if there are let's say one Wolf and one ordo and the Informer remaining, and they are to vote, the Informer would of course vote for the ordo. Unless the ordo tries to pretend to be a Wolf just to get him to his side. Now, that would be pretty impressive!

Quote:
I wonder what should be done with Frodo. We might not want to lynch xem as long as xe's an ordo but we also wouldn't like to get xem wolf-killed.
I guess we cannot do anything much sensible for the time being, especially as we won't know anyway who that is. And it's probably better now for Frodo to stay put and hope the Ringwraith don't notice him.

Quote:
Comrade Legate is being sensible. However, the situation being as it is, I think the Socialist Republic of Breeland needs a strong intelligency agency to spy on every citizen in order to find the wrongdoers. Let's make this a police state until things are solved!
Police state? You are being suspiciously eager, comrade. I suggest we place you to the workcamp in Fornost for a while, to see what happens.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #46
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor
 
Nerwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ˙˙˙ssɐןƃ ƃuıʞooן ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥʇ
Posts: 6,701
Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But it's maybe just something in Lommy's phrasing which I find weird.
But what, though? That seems a bit of a hit-and-run suspicion, Legate. *looks at him hard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
People are not postiiiing, yah-dah-dah-dadey...

Everybody's laaaa-zyyyy...
Lazy? Drunk, my friend– or should I say comrade? My special brew is powerful stuff (as opposed to Suttf, who is clearly up to no good).

EDIT: x'd with Aganzir and Legate.
__________________
"Even Nerwen wasn't evil in the beginning." –Elmo.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #47
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,163
Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.Legate of Amon Lanc has passed beneath the Argonath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
But what, though? That seems a bit of a hit-and-run suspicion, Legate. *looks at him hard*
Just like that: the phrasing overall. I simply find it queer. But that is why I said I would have to see how things go further. It is by no means a suspicion yet, it is stating what I think at the moment. (And I can hardly think much, as almost nobody has posted anything yet.)

Quote:
Lazy? Drunk, my friend– or should I say comrade? My special brew is powerful stuff (as opposed to Suttf, who is clearly up to no good).
True. Yes, I say we lynch him.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #48
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What I wrote about two hours ago, just when the Downs went down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Who do you call a bunny? Are you not the person who calls rabbits conies, when you don't turn their Frodos to wolves? Or something very similar.
No, actually I call them Cobys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Unless the ordo tries to pretend to be a Wolf just to get him to his side.
Grr you're revealing all my plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I guess we cannot do anything much sensible for the time being, especially as we won't know anyway who that is.
Yeah but would it help us or the wolves more if we pointed out Frodo-ish behaviour in others? That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legz
And it's probably better now for Frodo to stay put and hope the Ringwraith don't notice him.
The thing is, I'm not sure if Mr. Baggins wants to do that. If I was him I'd certainly try to get myself killed and become a wolf (but then again, I love being a wolf, whereas some people like to have different tactics. I remember my first game where Kit the Shade [kind of an assassin/seer/ranger] sided with the village against all odds [and killed me on the last night]).

For once it's not me who finds Lommy's phrasing suspicious.

I read through the thread with plans to make a Guilty/Innocent/Neither list, but decided against it. Lommy, Legate and Nerwen look innocent enough thus far, of the others I have absolutely nothing to say.
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #49
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Having labored all day to complete it, Beregond sharpens the edge of the sword he had made a week ago.

"It's not pretty, but it should get the job done. I've never been much use making blades, but I have been improving my art."

He sticks it deep into an old chipped and mangled wooden block in the corner of his shop. Then he checks the tip.

"Hmmm. Not bad, not bad. Been getting some pointers from Gollum. Creepy fellow, and talkative, but I've never met anyone so knowledgeable.

I'm going to keep this sword on my side from hereon. Can't be too careful. Can't get the image of... of... No, rather not think about that. What we need to do is find these wraiths, or whatever they are, and see they don't do us no more harm!

I have suspicions, but it's real hard to see under the cloaks, so to speak. And I've happened to notice, only nine out of the nineteen or so people in our village have even spoke out yet. Ten, now. But wouldn't a wraith want to stay out of the sunlight, so to speak? Maybe none of them have posted at all. But wraiths are crafty folk - so I've heard from the elders, I haven't seen them myself - and by posting they could avoid suspicion, or try. Now, like I said before Gollum is a strange one, and he talks more'n I've heard before, but I can't fix him as an evil one. Maybe I owe him too much. Who else, then: Sally? Shasta? Durelin? Nerwen? I dunno about them. I have a feeling Brinn could be something other than she seems - she was the first to really encourage proper discussion and then she left, almost to deflect suspicion and avoid notice all in one. I don't know about the rest of you, but I just don't know as she is who she says she is."
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #50
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Hello, children. I meant to stop in this morning at work, except I um... couldn't access the... village...

Anyway, I'm here and my only goal for day one is to try to scare wolves by attempting to vote for one, given that logically their only real fear on Day 1 is to be accidentally caught, since they haven't left behind any clues yet that could actually lead straight to them.

I think... Sally.

Sally shall be my go-to person for a lynch target for now.

She just seems to enthusiastic, and I tend to find that the more enthusiastic players on day one usually have a special role.

So I shall just go take a bit of my belladonna now, nap for a little while, take advantage of an unexpectedly free afternoon...
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #51
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hello all! Like Fea I couldn't access the village when I had the chance earlier... And now I must be leaving for class shortly and thus can't probably analyze, well, anything. With any luck job 1 won't wear me out to the point where I can't post during job 2.

In the meantime, I feel that Gollum is probably not to blame. It would be far too obvious for a traveling weapons designer to cut off poor Kitanna's head. Or would it...?
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #52
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Lariren Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the day meets the night
Posts: 607
Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Sorry about the lack of ale bringing but I needed time to recover from the shock(read class). Would anyone like anything while I'm here for the next, oh, eight minutes?

As for my sign I am a Sagittarius which actually does say a lot more about me than it should.
__________________
Choose treachery, its more fun!

Last edited by Lariren Shadow; 01-22-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: x-posted with Mirandir
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #53
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll take some of that ale, my dear. It's much appreciated.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #54
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Lariren Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the day meets the night
Posts: 607
Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
There you go, though I'm not entirely sure you should be having any, you look young.

Anyway, off I go, I shall try to be back later!
__________________
Choose treachery, its more fun!
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #55
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, if you're offering, I'd love a root beer. Root beer is good for thinking!

So, Lariren, just to make conversation, are you in shock from this morning, or have you been consorting with those of an unsavory nature? I hear wights have some kind of dark breath...could shock anyone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Tauruses are stubborn and typically head-in-the-mud. Nothing I can tell you about my time-honored, tried-and-true tested way of reading the stars will change your mind about me, so I'm afraid I'll have to have a better reason to act as your enabler.
I'm a Taurus, and, well, you're right about that - I am stubborn and not likely to believe you.

However, Shasta, I'll offer you a root beer, and I'll shoe your horse for free, if you want to read the stars for me.


EDIT: x'd with Mirandir, Lariren.

Well, I'm too slow and missed out on root beer. So, Mirandir, this is the first time you've been in the village during a crisis? Me too. I don't know who to disbelieve! Or maybe I do, and don't want them to know...

And I'm disappointed no one suspects me yet. Am I not sinister enough? I have access to swords, even if they aren't very good...
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."

Last edited by Beregond; 01-22-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #56
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm a Leo.

If I remember correctly, that means that I love to be the center of everybody's attention.

I happen to think it simply means that I have a profound personal identification with cats...
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #57
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Lariren Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the day meets the night
Posts: 607
Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
So, Lariren, just to make conversation, are you in shock from this morning, or have you been consorting with those of an unsavory nature? I hear wights have some kind of dark breath...could shock anyone.
The only unsavory people I've consorted with recently have been those who have not know when they have had too much ale. Luckily I've learned how to protect myself in those situations. Cold water helps.

And I do have a root beer for you right here.

Off to another class!
__________________
Choose treachery, its more fun!
Lariren Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #58
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë
 
Nogrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Posts: 9,051
Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry to come in this late but I actually had a 14-hour workday today and have basically just come home and eaten the first time today (10PM). I'll be reading next and come back then.

So it seems I'm not able to stand behind my promise to post only once on Day1 but I'll try to keep my posting in two posts toDay.

Let's see if I can meet that goal...
__________________
Upon the hearth the fire is red
Beneath the roof there is a bed;
But not yet weary are our feet...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #59
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm
 
Gollum the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Pinnacle of my own might
Posts: 403
Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
I'm back and reading.
__________________
'It just shows you how true it is that one-half the world doesn't knows how the other three-quarters lives.'
Bertie, The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodewouse
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #60
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Well, I'm too slow and missed out on root beer. So, Mirandir, this is the first time you've been in the village during a crisis? Me too. I don't know who to disbelieve! Or maybe I do, and don't want them to know...
It is indeed the first time I've been in the village during a crisis...I heard about a certain tragedy in an opera house from Fea and Lariren not that long ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
There you go, though I'm not entirely sure you should be having any, you look young.
Looks can be deceiving, my dear.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #61
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So I am planning to vote in an hour or two because it is very unlikely I want to get up earlier just to play.

I will not vote for Beregond or Mirandir today because they are new. However Lari is not protected by newbieness anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond
But wouldn't a wraith want to stay out of the sunlight, so to speak?
Well not necessarily. Being too quiet makes people suspicious, and sometimes submarines are lynched in lack of better suspects just to get rid of dead weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond
I have a feeling Brinn could be something other than she seems - she was the first to really encourage proper discussion and then she left, almost to deflect suspicion and avoid notice all in one.
I think she said she was going to sleep. While it is nice if the person who has encouraged proper talk instead of banter does it xemself, Brinn's reason for not doing it was understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
She just seems to enthusiastic, and I tend to find that the more enthusiastic players on day one usually have a special role.
I can hardly see how bantering actively makes her too enthusiastic.

It's good, though, if you say aloud what you find suspicious.

edit: xed with Gol & Mira
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #62
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
Looks can be deceiving, my dear.
Ah ha! So YOU'RE a wraith! Because you don't look like one.

Thank you for the root beer, Lariren, much appreciated!
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #63
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm
 
Gollum the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Pinnacle of my own might
Posts: 403
Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
This way, comrades, this way we won't ever build that socialism.
Socialism! *Is scared out of mind* Evil Legate, I for one will not redistribute my property amongst the great unwashed! *Closes Castle drawbridge* Ahh! Now my loot- that is to say my well earned capital will remain in competent hands.
__________________
'It just shows you how true it is that one-half the world doesn't knows how the other three-quarters lives.'
Bertie, The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodewouse
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #64
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I will not vote for Beregond or Mirandir today because they are new. However Lari is not protected by newbieness anymore. ...

...I think she said she was going to sleep. While it is nice if the person who has encouraged proper talk instead of banter does it xemself, Brinn's reason for not doing it was understandable....

...It's good, though, if you say aloud what you find suspicious.
Thanks, I didn't know we were subject to newbie protection!

I know I'm throwing out things that may or may not hold any weight, but on day one, what else do we have to go on? I don't expect anyone to take me seriously yet anyway.
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #65
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
Socialism! *Is scared out of mind*
Well interesting as the topic is, maybe we'd better cut it. After all, politics shouldn't be discussed on the Downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Thanks, I didn't know we were subject to newbie protection!
It's generally considered fair that newbies get a chance to play a bit longer than one day. It doesn't apply to everything, though - if you do something outrageously suspicious, you might get lynched very quickly.
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #66
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sure, that's only fair. It would take a few days to learn how things work, anyway.
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #67
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm
 
Gollum the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Pinnacle of my own might
Posts: 403
Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
To the real thing

I agree with whoever it was that situation looks good. For the moment. What seems to be overlooked is that hanging over the Pony like the Sword of Damacles is the danger of losing an ordo and gaining another wraith. The Ringbearer will be their prime target and we cant spend valuable time chit-chatting (like me, for instance). Once a couple of Wraiths are gone then we'll be on fairly solid ground. Also I agree with the other whoever it was that Beregond and Mirandir should be given a day or two- but not necessarily the game. Remember me in Di's game, using "newbieness" as a cloak for for my evil? I hope there isn't a repetition of that here.
__________________
'It just shows you how true it is that one-half the world doesn't knows how the other three-quarters lives.'
Bertie, The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodewouse
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #68
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,399
A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Huh. I tried to access the Downs some five and a half hours ago but failed. I'm here only now and must vote soon since I need to go to sleep. What bothers me (easy to say of course, having been absent myself) is the lack of actual discussion. Yeah, Day 1, I know, but still. Nearly two pages of stuff (suttf?) and hardly anything to comment on. Bah.

The problem is I have no idea who I can vote, or even on what grounds should I vote since there just isn't enough material to base any opinions on. I even have no gut feelings, which is a bit alarming in itself.

Like Agan, I will certainly not vote a first-timer out on a Day like this when I have as vague opinions on everyone. I will also not vote anyone who has attempted some actual game discussion toDay. I will not vote anyone who hasn't appeared yet since that's plain evil because I have no way of knowing how that particular person behaves in this game.

Now that I've complained and whined enough, I can start thinking. I'll let Lommins in soon, but I could do with some discussion before that. Is there anyone around?


EDIT: Evidently. x-ed since Beregond's 62 (Are there any nicknames for you, by the way? Beregond is waaaay too long! )
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #69
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,399
A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Just thinking... Is the ring-bearer's role (I first wrote "rule") revealed if s/he gets lynched? Was there a mention of that in the rules?
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #70
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I'm not cloaking anything, and I'd like to survive as much as the next guy!

I'd "discuss" if I knew what that meant. How can we find and protect the Ringbearer? Or should we eliminate the Ringbearer to remove the threat? Do we even want to discover the Ringbearer, or should that person stay hidden from all?

EDIT: Lots of crossing! You can call me Bere, in fact, please do - that's the only shortened version I have for this alias.
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #71
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
The Ringbearer will be their prime target and we cant spend valuable time chit-chatting
Hmm well I think it'd make more sense if they tried to kill Barliman first as xe is rather dangerous for the Ring-bearer, having a chance to tell xer identity to the ranger. However this is useless speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly
Remember me in Di's game, using "newbieness" as a cloak for for my evil?
It didn't keep me from suspecting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I will not vote anyone who hasn't appeared yet since that's plain evil
Hmm I could actually vote for Gwath. He would at least deserve it.

edit: xed with Greeny & Gondy. I'd believe Frodo's role is revealed once xe is lynched. After all xe knows it xemself and the seer can see it when dreaming (unlike Ferny's).
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #72
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Mirandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT/NY
Posts: 681
Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Ah ha! So YOU'RE a wraith! Because you don't look like one.
Heh, yup! You got me.

I must be off to work but we do have wireless access here so I shall be checking in periodically.
__________________
Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Mirandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #73
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
I'd "discuss" if I knew what that meant. How can we find and protect the Ringbearer? Or should we eliminate the Ringbearer to remove the threat? Do we even want to discover the Ringbearer, or should that person stay hidden from all?
Well the Ringbearer is an ordo for now, but xer death is probably only a matter of time. I think the best thing to do might be to remain quiet about who we think could be the RB and bring these points up only if the wolves get xem. Then we wouldn't help the wraiths or Billy to find xer, either.

edit: xed with Mira
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #74
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm
 
Gollum the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Pinnacle of my own might
Posts: 403
Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Hmm well I think it'd make more sense if they tried to kill Barliman first as xe is rather dangerous for the Ring-bearer, having a chance to tell xer identity to the ranger. However this is useless speculation.


It didn't keep me from suspecting you.
*Hides in cellar* I remember that, all right.
__________________
'It just shows you how true it is that one-half the world doesn't knows how the other three-quarters lives.'
Bertie, The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodewouse
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #75
Beregond
Playful Ghoul
 
Beregond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,257
Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Well the Ringbearer is an ordo for now, but xer death is probably only a matter of time. I think the best thing to do might be to remain quiet about who we think could be the RB and bring these points up only if the wolves get xem. Then we wouldn't help the wraiths or Billy to find xer, either.
Agreed. It's Bill Ferny we should go after, assuming xe is an asset to the wraiths. Does Ferny have any powers as an informant, or is xe only special because he can contact the wraiths, indirectly?
__________________
"Hope and memory shall live still in some hidden valley where the grass is green."
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #76
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,399
A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.A Little Green is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
edit: xed with Greeny & Gondy. I'd believe Frodo's role is revealed once xe is lynched. After all xe knows it xemself and the seer can see it when dreaming (unlike Ferny's).
Gondy? I like that. Or maybe Gondie? Anyway, that Frodo-thingy makes good sense - except that those xe/xemself things keep confusing me. Suppose I'll get used to them in a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondie
How can we find and protect the Ringbearer? Or should we eliminate the Ringbearer to remove the threat? Do we even want to discover the Ringbearer, or should that person stay hidden from all?
To be honest I have no idea - never played with a guy like that before, whatever the role is called (cursed something?) - but it would sound ideal if no one discovered the identity of our ringbearer. After all, if we find and lynch him/her, we'll be down one innocent regardless of the fact that the particular innocent could have been converted to some nasssty creature. We should probably not use our energy on hunting the ringbearer but instead on hunting the wraiths.


EDIT: x-ed with Agan, Gollum and Gondie
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #77
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm
 
Gollum the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Pinnacle of my own might
Posts: 403
Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
We should probably not use our energy on hunting the ringbearer but instead on hunting the wraiths.
Someone's got the right idea.
__________________
'It just shows you how true it is that one-half the world doesn't knows how the other three-quarters lives.'
Bertie, The Code of the Woosters, by P. G. Wodewouse
Gollum the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë
 
Nogrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Posts: 9,051
Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.Nogrod has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Thanks, I didn't know we were subject to newbie protection!
I know I'm throwing out things that may or may not hold any weight, but on day one, what else do we have to go on?
Adding the two up reads basically "do your best". Many will be scared the living daylights out of them because of a possible ill-adviced voting on Day1 but you can actually rest assured you're not lynched because of trying to actually do something...

Into the bussiness then.

About Frodo. I think that Frodo should actually do the decent thing and reveal himself if he felt he was in danger of being killed by Night. That way we could lynch him and prevent the birth of a fourth ringwraith. When Frodo is in danger great enough to reveal should surely rest on the ringbearer him(her)self; we others should not push him but should point that out.

Looking at the Frodo-issue from this angle as I am I'm quite baffled about this post by Agan I ran into:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
The thing is, I'm not sure if Mr. Baggins wants to do that * . If I was him I'd certainly try to get myself killed and become a wolf
*"to do that" = trying to stay hidden from the wraiths (suggested tactics for Frodo by Legate)

Now are you calling for the ringwraiths whom you actually want to join Aganzir?


About Ferny. I suggest we cut off the speculation about that old scrooge for Day1. Let's not help him. The less we speculate about him, the more he has to do himself.

The same goes with Dury's ranger impersonation. Let the wolves chew it for the time being. We should bother ourselves with it only later if it looks like it.


About the banter. Banter is always fun and belongs to the game. But surely people could also add some actual stuff (or was it called "suttf" in this one?) to their banter. Just joking is playing it safe which means either trying to look like an active poster but hiding your fangs or then being a cowardish villager who only thinks for her/himself. Both kind of persons should be gotten rid of sooner rather than later as both will be harmful to us - especially late in the game.

*Free weed to everyone! Except the tanner of course... You will profit due to these crises anyway, don't you? *


Bah, there went my dream of two posts on Day1 but I really can't vote yet. I'll be back a little later with a vote. (I'm not waking up that early to vote on the only day this week I can sleep up to 9AM)

EDIT: X'd with a host of posts...
__________________
Upon the hearth the fire is red
Beneath the roof there is a bed;
But not yet weary are our feet...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #79
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow
 
Aganzir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: in hollow halls beneath the fells
Posts: 4,607
Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Does Ferny have any powers as an informant, or is xe only special because he can contact the wraiths, indirectly?
Nope I don't think so. Xe can only tell the wraiths who xe thinks they should kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
xcept that those xe/xemself things keep confusing me. Suppose I'll get used to them in a while...
Tgwbs started using them in last game. (And now that I googled the link, I noticed I've been using them incorrectly lately, too. It's xyr, not xer.)

I'm reading through the thread and trying to come up with opinions on people.

edit: xed with Noggy-Nogz
__________________
He bit me, and I was not gentle.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #80
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci
 
Feanor of the Peredhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: perpetual uncertainty
Posts: 5,956
Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I can hardly see how bantering actively makes her too enthusiastic.

It's good, though, if you say aloud what you find suspicious.
Well, as it's the first day and I have had no dreams that I wish to lay carefully before you, and I've got no evil plans I'd like to implement, I need somebody to suspect.

Innocents on Day One atypically have anybody to gun for based on actual evidence, so I figured I should come up with some sort of guideline to slim down the pool of possible people for me to latch onto immediately. Usually on the first day I pick at total random because I have nothing better to go on yet. This time I decided that 'enthusiasm = reason for enthusiasm' seemed like a pretty fair thing to go on.

Thus my otherwise random suspicion (since I have nothing solid to go on).

Strangely, I actually just had a dream (this isn't a clue) about Sally. I was just napping, thus dreaming, and we lived in this three story dorm type building, except the elevator was hidden behind a shower, and the third floor had a spare bed half way up a random staircase that was in my room. Sally was living there, in this strange little not-really-third-floor balcony on the stairs that didn't go anywhere else, for all that they continued past where she was hanging out.

Strange, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
Remember me in Di's game, using "newbieness" as a cloak for for my evil? I hope there isn't a repetition of that here.
Yes, and I encouraged Lari to use it last game, and it worked beautifully. So while new players get a basic get-out-of-jail-free card, it's also common knowledge that a newbie wolf will take advantage.

So don't try to take advantage if you're a wraith, because we'll catch you. K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
you can actually rest assured you're not lynched because of trying to actually do something...
Unless you're Nog, in which case you'll be killed Day One no matter what you do.

You quts are making me smile with your banter.

Just so you know.
__________________
peace
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.