Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Making RPG proposals in Rohan (and the Shire)-- a tutorial

After discussion with the innkeepers, proposal reviewers, mods, etc., we think that a demonstration on how to submit a proposal for an RPG is in order. The intent of this thread is to not just review the form used to make such proposals but rather to provide insight into what the innkeepers, proposal reviewers and mods are looking for and how they make their decisions, recommendations and suggestions.

We have found a suitable volunteer (sacrificial lamb) to submit a proposal which initially will be extremely flawed by our standards. The end result of this exercise will be an example of an acceptable proposal (and a new RPG).

Only innkeepers, proposal reviewers and mods may post on this thread to comment on the proposal submitted. However, all are welcome to pose questions about our proposal process here.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #2
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Nonesuch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK. *deep breath. Here goes.

I'd like to run an RPG in which Elves from Rivendell travel to the Misty Mountains for an adventure and have run-ins with Orcs and other nasty types. How does that sound?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Just what kind of adventure do the elves seek, Nonesuch? What is waiting for them in the Misty Mountains? And why does it involve orcs?

Looks like a mithadventure to me unless you can tell me more. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Innkeeper at The White Horse, Rohan

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Um, ok. How about this? The elfs r looking 4 the magical sabre of light of the orange fairies which is a magical weapon that can defeat any dark guy? The elfs found out about the light sabre from an ancient Jedi who came to middle earth running from the dark side.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

*chuckles at a familiar new name*

I hope I did not mith the point of this all, because I pose a question thus:

Does one have to propose a role-play in private or in a thread here? Do the moderators edit the proposal to their counsel or do they let the role-play evolve by its own merit?

------------

In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lugburz,

If you will look at the thread on this forum called "How to Propose New RPGs for Rohan," this will answer many of your questions.

As the thread explains, you submit a completed form explaining your proposed RPG. This should be forwarded to a particular e-mail address at the Downs, which is again stipulated in the thread. The proposal will then be reviewed by the two current reviewers (Susan Delgado and Gandalf_the Great)as well as other interested parties such as Bethberry the Innkeeper or other admins.

You will be contacted, perhaps with ideas on how the proposed RPG might be improved. You will normally be the one to edit the proposal, taking into account the ideas that have been suggested by the mods and Innkeepers.

Once the RPG itself is approved, and the discussion thread is posted, you will serve as founder (or co-founder if two proposal writers are involved). As long as the game is true to the guidelines of the Downs and Rohan, you and your fellow posters will have a great deal of freedom as to how your story actually plays out. A mod or Innkeeper may request an edit of the game thread if they notice something that is not in keeping with the site guidelines, or something which would make the game much stronger. In actual practice, this is usually worked out on the discussion thread or sometimes by private messages in a very amicable fashion.

I'm from the Shire, and one of the other Rohan folk may want to clarify this further, but I believe I've accurately described the basic process.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Innkeeper and a frequent visitor to Rohan

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Lug,

As Child has suggested, there is a process for proposing games here at BarrowDowns, and different levels of games. The process was implemented as a way to help inexperienced gamers learn how to RPG and to maintain the quality of games here at the BarrowDowns.

The Shire forum is for those who have never gamed before and want to learn. The Redbook of Westmarch contains the rules for gaming at The Shire, where gamers can introduce themselves at The Green Dragon Inn thread.

The rules for Rohan, the intermediate RPG forum, are given in the thread The Golden Hall. Gamers can try out different characters at The White Horse Inn. I am the Innkeeper there, the moderator for this forum.

The most complex games are played in Gondor, where generally the most experienced writers also game. In the thread Echthelion's Tower, the rules for Gondor are explained. Its inn is The Seventh Star. Experienced gamers, who can start their own games without going through the approval process, are listed here. These are gamers who have proven their gaming skills here at the Downs.

Gamers can play at any level as long as they maintain the standards expected for that level. Game owners are responsible for maintaining writing standards and for setting the paramenters of the games.

See you at 'Ride.'

Bethberry
Old 01-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Master Nonesuch,

Ancient Jedi? Magical light sabres? I think you are on the wrong site!

We ask that all RPGs in the Downs be true to the spirit of Tolkien and his writings. Orcs, and Elves, and hobbits are fine....but, please, no Jedi warriors.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Innkeeper
Old 01-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Wot's the matter with Jedis? Hrumph.

Alright. How about this. Elrond has lost something in the Misty Mountains and he sends some Elfen warriors to find it. Maybe its his wallet or sumthing.

The elfes go into the mountains and find that Elrond's wallet has been seized by orx and must be recovered. They know that Elrond's wallet is very dear to him and they decide to risk entering Kazad Doom to try and get it. Better?
Old 01-21-2003, 02:19 PM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nonesuch

Welcome to Gaming, Barrow Downs style –

I’m Piosenniel, ‘Pio’ for short, one of the moderators for the Shire.

You wrote:

Quote:
I'd like to run an RPG in which Elves from Rivendell travel to the Misty Mountains for an adventure and have run-ins with Orcs and other nasty types. How does that sound?
This sounds like it could be a very promising start to an RPG for the Shire. We have some ready made ‘Seed Games’ for writers wanting to run a Game: Seed Games

With a very few modifications, we can work up your proposal using the Shire’s RPG Proposal Form. Would you like to do this?

I do want to address your further explanation of your game:

Quote:
Um, ok. How about this? The elfs r looking 4 the magical sabre of light of the orange fairies which is a magical weapon that can defeat any dark guy? The elfs found out about the light sabre from an ancient Jedi who came to middle earth running from the dark side.
All of the Gaming areas have basic rules for posting in them. I’d like to see your further posts reflect these.

First, please write in complete sentences, using good grammar and correct spelling. No abbreviations, please, or half-sentences – you can use those in the Barrow Downs Chat room: Chat Here

Please use your ‘Word’ program when you post, to run a spell check or a grammar check. Even better, get a second pair of eyes to look over your posts. We will hold you to the higher standard we expect here.

Second, please keep all the references in your storyline true to Tolkien’s vision of Middle-earth and its characters and history. If you have any questions concerning whether something you want to do is ‘Tolkien true’, please feel free to ask us.

Having said this – you will need to remove your references to: magical saber of light, orange fairies, Jedi, and the dark side.

My last questions for you.

Will you tell me what Tolkien books you have read? And have you seen the two movies that are recently out?

Also, have you participated in any RPG’s before, or run a Game before? If you have, what style of Gaming are you most familiar with?

Looking forward to working with you!

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-21-2003, 02:27 PM   #11
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Quote:
you will need to remove your references to: magical saber of light, orange fairies, Jedi, and the dark side.

Gosh, Pio, does that mean I have to edit the title of my game, Ride to the Dark Side?

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bethberry, who has a feeling she will be called upon to edit this.

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Only if you want to propose it in the Shire!
Old 01-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

But pio, Tolkien uses the phrase.

Quote:
"As a matter of fact he had never been there before at all. Unawares they had wandered too near to the shadowy edge of the dark side, where all sorts of half-forgotten things linger, and paths and memories get confused. Just when they felt sure that at last they were on the right way home, they were surprised to find some tall mountains rising before them, silent, bare, and ominous..."
Bethberry bows down before Ulmo, lord of words and references.

Bethberry
Old 01-21-2003, 03:04 PM   #14
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nonesuch, welcome to the Barrowdowns, we are sure to administer a good time for you.

You show your ideas to be adaptable and creative. Yet before I look at your idea, two technical points:
  • By using a word-processing program, for instance Word or Word Perfect, you can check your spelling and grammar, thereby showing respect not only for your readers and the written word itself, but for yourself. The easiest way of achieving a reasonable post would be to write directly into the word-processor, run the Spell and Grammar checks, then copy & paste into the Add Reply Post screen in the Forum.
  • For the meanings of words, correct spellings and some small assistance with grammar, make use of online dictionaries. Although not exhaustive or 100% accurate, www.m-w.com is quick and easy to use.

We are not here to lecture you, so rather than telling you what you should write (for that would not acheive anything in the long-run), here are a couple of prompts.

You have tried to establish a reason for the Elves going 'adventuring'. Perhaps a better one than a missing wallet (or 'money-pouch') could be devised? Think on the motivation of an ancient people. What would drive them to search in dangerous lands?

How many characters would you need? Would you need some players to play the antagonists - you seem to favour the idea of conflict occuring, which is perhaps not a bad idea in itself, but brings with it some risks.

Remember: although the objective is for you to have fun, that is conditional upon the other participants (players) also enjoying it and those others who simply read it also enjoying it. Try to give them a story, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

I have further questions and ideas, but this seems quite enough for someone to absorb for now.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #15
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Hello, Nonesuch, Welcome to the Downs. I am Susan, one of the proposal reviewers and a mod for Rohan.

I'd also like to hear more about the Elves' motivations for going into the mountains. I doubt that a mithing wallet would be enough to drawElves into a search. Maybe you can think of something else they might be searching for. What time period does this RPG take place in? That might give you an idea for plot.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:47 PM   #16
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello, I am a pretty new RP gamer. I was in The Green Dragon inn, when a message was posted about a tutorial in Rohan. I would love to participate, and learn more about RPG. The idea about elves and the Misty Mountains sounds good to me!

~Hirilaelin
Old 01-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #17
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Follow along, Hirilaen, and post any questions that you may have while our people help guide Nonesuch along towards what will hopefully be a viable proposal.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:02 PM   #18
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay, this is an idea. Maybe it could be during Bilbo's time, and Elrond has heard of the passing of Bilbo's company. (Gandalf told him) Gandalf also mentions that he suspects that something is going on with Gollum that Bilbo did not mention. (I.E. Ring) Elrond sends some people to look into it, but they run into goblins, Gollum, etc. How about it?

~Hirilaelin
Old 01-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #19
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Ganging up on me, eh?

OK. I've read the Rules of the Golden Hall (as well as the Red Book in the Shire). I see that I wasn't supposed to post my proposal on the boards but should have submitted it to rohanproposals@barrowdowns.com via e-mail. Thank you for putting up with my antics.

I have extensive RPG experience and would like to run this game in Rohan. Do I use the proposal form in The Shire or is there one here too?

The wallet bit was a joke. I will look at the Tale of Years in the LoTR Appendix for ideas and will resubmit my idea with a bit more detail. I've heard that the Tale of Years and the appendices are great sources for RPGs. I'll post something soon.

Out of curiosity, why is "Elves from Rivendell travel to the Misty Mountains for an adventure and have run-ins with Orcs and other nasty types" not enough?

Sorry about the chatspeak. I've been hanging out on IM too much lately.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:10 PM   #20
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Thanks much for the responses. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I've been finding some time to read the rules for each forum, and have also been reading a little into the outcome, as in the role-plays that are developing.

It is my belief that your methods will bring good results in the long run. I'm lucky to feel comfortable here due to the presence of friends, but this might be rather intimidating for some very good talent. I hope that the newcomers and moderators see the light of their ways in a thoughtful yet powerful framework like this one.

And I hope that I find the time to be a part of it.

Thank you.

---------------

In utter chaos lies impeccable symmetry.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:32 PM   #21
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hi Hirilaelin,

Your enthusiasm is most welcome, but this thread is not for proposing several game ideas. It is for showing how to develop one particular game idea.

Watch how the Reviewers and Mods help Nonesuch develop his ideas and then apply their kinds of suggestions to your game idea.

Read the threads called The Golden Hall and How to Propose Games for Rohan. You will find information there on what to put in the proposal and where to send it to the Reviewers.

Feel free to ask questions here about Nonesuch's game idea or about the comments the Reviewers and Mods make about it.

Bethberry,
Innkeeper of The White Horse, Rohan
Old 01-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hi Nonesuch,

There is a unique form for game proposals at Rohan, which has its own address for submitting game proposals as well. You can find this information here:
How to propose new RPGs for Rohan

It is good that you ask why we want more detail than simply the statement, "Elves from Rivendell travel to Misty Mountains for an adventure and have run-ins with Orcs and other nasty types."

It has to do with the points which Rimbaud has made about games needing a beginning, middle, and end and about games being fun both for participants and for readers. Games which go on and on and on without a clear sense of direction become boring for both readers and gamers.

Your first statement does not given much sense of what this plot would be because 'adventure' is vague. Stories and games usually have a problem which needs to be resolved or solved. That way, readers become interested in the problem and start to second guess the answer. This is part of the fun of reading. It is also part of the fun of gaming, for it gives gamers a sense of where their ideas might be heading.

Having a specific sense of what the problem might be also helps the gamers know what kinds of difficulties their characters will meet, so they can plan some of the psychological development for their characters and also plan how to meet some of those conflicts you seem interested in.

I hope this helps!

Looking forward to hearing more from you,
Bethberry,
Innkeeper of The White Horse

PS. You are welcome to post at The Horse in your main character, to get a sense of what that might be like, or to post as different characters, developing them as well. For instance, I am currently posting there as both 'Bethberry' and 'Ćlfritha' and might soon be posting as 'Cadfćl' as well.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #23
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I have to fill out that whole form?!?

*grumbles

Well, at least I think I found my idea.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #24
Rosemary Took

Sting

Hi all, I'm new here as well and this is a really interesting thread. I was wondering are we just helping out with nonesuch's story or can we post our own?
Anyway the story of elves going to the misty mountains sounds good. Maybe they were heading for Lothlorien with news from Elrond or something? Just a suggestion.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #25
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rosemary,

Welcome to the Downs! We're glad you're interested in RPGs. The first step is to develop a character and post in one of the Inns, either in the Shire or Rohan. The next step is to join another RPG, and become familiar with the rules of gaming. You do this by reading the discussion threads, and seeing when a new game goes up asking for characters. We have one new game in the Shire now--Holiday in the Sun-- and I believe Rohan also has a new game up--Search for the Book.

After that, you can begin to think of developing a proposal on your own, either from a seed thread in the Shire, or on your own in Rohan. The explanatory threads at the very beginning of each Inn will tell you something about the guidelines for the Downs and how to become a game founder.

Essentially, it is a process that you take step-by-step as you become more comfortable with the writing and all the intricacies of gaming.

I'm Cami Goodchild, and one of the Innkeepers in the Shire. We hope to see you around.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #26
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Welcome, Nonesuch. I remember seeing some good posts of yours in the Green Dragon and look forward to seeing your new game [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I'm a rather quiet Shire monitor.

Quote:
I have to fill out that whole form?!?
Actually... I suspect that it's easier to fill out a long, detailed form than a shorter one in which you're expected to guess what kind of information we want. On closer inspection, I think you'll find that the form is actually not as scary as it looks, and also that the details it asks for may be helpful to you in developing your idea further. I find that if I have an idea that's any good, it's usually because I've teased it out of earlier ideas by asking it questions and adding details to it as I think of them--they tend to breed more details. This also really helps me to get into the game.

It could also be helpful to people that choose to join your game. As Bethberry mentioned, it is important for them to create characters that will fit well in the story, and I find that I often create characters by looking at what others have written in their profiles and what the owner's written about the situation they're in. I ask, for instance, whether my character is eager or reluctant to go on this adventure, and what about the place inspires this. This is something that your post can make much more answerable.

Rosemary, thanks for your interest and your suggestion! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] However, as Mithadan says:

Quote:
Only innkeepers, proposal reviewers and mods may post on this thread to comment on the proposal submitted. However, all are welcome to pose questions about our proposal process here.
What we're really doing (aside from helping lucky Nonesuch, although I believe that the commentary of the proposal reviewers on proposals generally is usual of quite a similar nature) is showing everyone how this works.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ January 21, 2003: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-23-2003, 09:25 AM   #27
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Still doing research, but I think I have a neat idea. There is a wealth of RPG fodder in the LoTR appendices, BTW.

I'll post my proposal here soon.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #28
Airerűthiel
Wight

Airerűthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyone who is part of the RPG 'Ride To The Dark Side' or visited The White Horse a few pages back will know about this character:

I received a tip-off of sorts from Bethberry that parts of the story of my character Maikadurion could be made into RPGs. The thing is (and while acknowledging that all your advice and help is much appreciated, Bethberry), a lot of her suggestions were for games that are a little different from the norm - for instance, his father is accused of treason in Gondor, and she suggested a story of court intrigue. Should I just evolve these suggestions into a fan fiction telling the young half-Elf's saga, or take the chance that people might be interested in some Maikadurion stories as RPGs?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:30 PM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thumbs up

Airerűthiel,

Maikadurion's story provided lots of room for interesting and unique appproaches to Tolkien RPGs. It was fun to read for that reason and seemed to fit in well with what we would like to encourage at Rohan: games that go beyond the usual, the normal, the expected, in order to provide interesting reading for people who aren't gamers.

Rohan is a place to start being imaginative and creative in developing both characters and plots. If you want to do a more traditional Tolkien game, you can always run it in The Shire. That's okay! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

However, get to know some of the other gamers at Rohan by interacting with them at The White Horse; see what kinds of plots and characters everyone finds interesting. You can also look at Maikadurion's life from the perspective of other gamers; think of how other characters would fit into it. This would be one way of broadening the story to interest other gamers.

Also, in future, please save your questions in this thread for the proposal which Nonesuch is writing and the process he is going through.

Maybe we should have a thread at Rohan for questions about other game ideas? PM me if you think this is a good idea and I will open one. You can also email the Rohan reviewers, Gandalf_the Grey and Susan Delgado, about your ideas. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 01-25-2003, 05:19 PM   #30
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I've decided on the premise for my RPG. There's a single event which impacted upon several characters in LoTR but is given relatively little discussion by Tolkien. All we know of this event comes from two entries in the Tale of Years and a paragraph in the Appendices. This event is the kidnapping of Celebrian, daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn, wife of Elrond and mother of Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir, and her rescue by her sons.

I'd like to take a stab at telling this tale at length through an RPG. I'll fill out the proposal form and submit it soon. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help!
Old 01-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #31
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Title: To Rescue Celebrian
Basic Storyline:

The purpose of the story is to "play out the tale of the rescue of Celebrian, the wife of Elrond and mother of Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir, from Orcs who captured her in Redhorn Pass in Third Age 2509. The kidnapping of Celebrian is discussed in two entries in the LoTR Tale of Years and a short paragraph in Appendix A. It is a heroic but sad tale which was given short shrift by Tolkien."

This means we will know the story is over when "Celebrian is rescued and returned to Rivendell."

Starting Location: "Rivendell"

Likely destination: "Moria"

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in the "Third" Age at around year "2509".

ii) The story itself or plot covers "less than 2" months.

iii) This game requires a time commitment of "about 4 weeks" from me, the game owner and from the major players. (Note: Games can run the gamut from 48 hours to two weeks, to a month, to approximately six months.)

Characters:

Main character types are "Elves, likely six or so."

Secondary character types likely are "Elves and possibly Orcs. Cameo roles may be available."

Character types which would not belong "are any race other than Elves (or possibly Orcs)".

The game owner will play "1" character. Please describe each character in a way that brings the character to life, so that the Reviewer can really get to know the character.

"I will play Elladan, son of Elrond and Celebrian. He and his twin brother Elrohir were born in Third Age 139. He has a sister, Arwen. Elladan is quiet, but brave and determined. He has inherited some of his father's wisdom and is steeped in Elven lore from his upbringing in Rivendell. He frequently accompanies the Dunedain of the North (Rangers) as they attempt to keep the North free from evil and fought against the Witch King of Angmar with other Elves of Rivendell and the men of Gondor. He loves his parents and siblings dearly."

The first post for the game:

Nenmir rode his sweating and tired steed north through Eriador along little known paths. He had stayed close to the Bruinen in his rush to return to Rivendell and during his two weeks of travel, he and his horse had rested little. Weariness nagged at him and his body cried for sleep, but he dared not pause, even now as he approached his destination.

At last, he reached a rise where the Ford of Bruinen could be seen. As his horse clambered up onto the hillock it stumbled, then righted itself before proceeding towards the River at a fast trot. "Easy, faithful friend," whispered Nenmir. "Not much farther now, and yet we still have need of haste." The horse responded to his master's bidding and shrugged aside his weariness to break into a gallop.

Yet it was hours later when the rider crossed the Fords of Bruinen and, at last approached his destination. They descended down the path to Imladris as rapidly as they safely could and approached the Last Homely House just after midnight. His passing had not gone unmarked and as the rider followed the path leading to the door of the Hose of Elrond, several Elves were waiting there for him. Among them was Elrond himself.

"Nenmir," he cried. "Why are you here? You were to escort my wife to Lorien and stay with Celebrian until she was ready to return." Then Elrond gasped, for he saw that Nenmir was sorely hurt and that the snapped shaft of an arrow protruded from his shoulder.

The Elf nearly fell as he dismounted and two others stepped forward to take him by his arms and support him as he spoke. "Alas!" he cried. "Celebrian is taken by Orcs! We were assailed as we climbed the Redhorn Pass. The Orcs were in hiding and attacked us as we rounded a shoulder of cruel Carathras. The others of the escort were slain or scattered. But Celebrian! They seized her by her arms and dragged her away to the east. I followed as best I could, but they took her..." He bowed his head in grief and anger. "They brought her through the Gates of Moria..."

(This should be several paragraphs long, enough to give gamers a solid sense of what the game is about and who might be involved. It should draw both readers and potential gamers into the game.)

Other information of special interest that you would like to include: "This will be a carefully controlled RPG. As it follows 'canon' players will be expected to read the portions of Appendix A and B addressing these events as well as the chapters "A journey in the dark " and "The Bridge at Khazad-Dum" to refresh their memories of Moria."

Proposer/Owner (Please use your Barrow Downs ID): Nonesuch

RPGs at the Barrow Downs I have participated in are the following (if you have not, explain where you have developed your RPG skills): "I have extensive RPG experience..."

Contact via: PM

email at "You know".

[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Nonesuch ]
Old 01-31-2003, 11:13 AM   #32
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Nonesuch,

That was pretty good; you have a good grasp of English and aren't afraid to use it, though you should still check your spelling.

I'm a little concerned about your lack of experience; you have only 11 posts here and I haven't seen you around the Inns. Can you tell us a little more about where you've RPed before? Without knowing this, we have no way of knowing how good you are at staying in character or how well you can run a game.

If you can't give me some idea of your experience, I'm afraid I may have to reject your proposal, interesting and well written as it is, and send you to play a few games in the Shire before resubmitting it.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #33
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Hi All you reviewer people!!!!

I have been having trouble getting info about my rpg proposal over email, so I thought I could post it here...

Here goes:

Title: The Road To Erebor

Basic Storyline:
A large army of Uruk Hai, striking from an unknown northern fortress, is threatening Erebor and the Lonely Mountain - The Kingdom of the Dwarves. Bali, Nephew of the Dwarven Lord, is sitting in the Green Dragon Inn when a messenger brings him a letter from his father, asking him to return home. The story is about the Journey from the Shire to Erebor, made by Bali, his close friend Eruantalon, and a host of companions, and the battle they fought there....

The purpose of the story is to ....

Get to Erebor, in the far east of middle earth, as quickly as possible, and save it from an attacking army of Uruk Hai. On the way, we gather an army of gondorians, rangers, elves, etc. (The people in the army will not be played by anyone, but will be there with us on the way and when we get to Erebor). The focus of the story will be on the journey itself. We will visit inns, help others, and generally have fun, but still moving steadily eastward. Prehaps other, smaller quests will find their way into the story (I am leaving that area wide open for players to decide, which in my oppinion will make the story more interesting). That is the beauty of rpg's is it not?!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Prehaps there will even be a traitor amidst the company.....

This means we will know the story is over when ....
The Uruk Hai are Defeated and their leader is slain. Erebor has been returned to a peaceful state.

Starting Location:
Outside the Green Dragon Inn

Likely destination:
The Lonely Mountain

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in the 4th Age at around year 1423.

ii) The story itself or plot covers --- "around 1 year, but maybe more and maybe less (depends what happens on our way to Erebor)" --- months (or years).

iii) This game requires a time commitment of "about two months, maybe less", depending on how long the journey takes" from me, the game owner and from the major players.

Characters:

Main character types are ....
Dwarves, Men, who are friends of the Dwarves

Secondary character types likely are ....
Elves, Friendly to Dwarves (A rare occurrence, but it happens).

Character types which would not belong ....
Hobbits!!! Wizards, Spirits, Angelic Beings - etc.

The game owner will play 2 characters, though one of them for only a short time.

My First Character:

Name: Bali
Race: Dwarf
Description: About a foot smaller than a grown man. Bali has a long brown beard and a scar over one eye. He wears a light mail coat over a brown tunic and underneath a heavy brown cloak. He has a black strap which goes around his back (in which he keeps his axe). Unless in a large battle, Bali wears no helmet.
Weapons: A large, single-edged fighting axe, with a curved blade in the style of the Erebor Dwarves. Also, he carries a number of throwing axes (miniatures of his war axe), and surprisingly owns and uses a long elvish dagger, given to him by a friend.
Personality: Extremely friendly for a dwarf, Bali loves company, singing, beer, and even dancing. He is also and excellent story-teller, and a good listener. He is a fierce warrior in combat, fighting with a deadly combination of his various weapons. He is an experienced tracker, hunter, and pathfinder. When angry, Bali is quick to be irrational, and is not easily calmed.

My Second Character

Name: Kaldon Finllo
Race: Man
Description: Kaldon has short blond hair, tan skin and has been called "attractive" by many. He is taller than a dwarf, but is a little shorter than the average grown man. He dresses in black, from his armor-covered tunic to his long, flowing hooded cape which enfulges his figure. He is known as a ranger, but this assumption may not be the right one...
Weapons: Kaldon carries a long, double-edged broadsword which he can use expertly. But his true power lies in the twin Mattocks (an anchient form of a throwing knife, which has long thin blades but a short handle; and no cross piece). Combined with his clothing, these knives make him a deadly assassin.
Personality: Kaldon is shrouded in darkness and mystery. He is curt and polite, but does not like to talk and has a distaste for populated places. He prefers he quiet smoke at the back table at an inn, or to remain in his own quarters. Few know him, but among those who do it is rumored that his father is a wealthy land-owner from the far east. A born wanderer, he is an excellent hunter, and knows many paths through the wilderlands of the world.

The first post for the game:

(This should be several paragraphs long, enough to give gamers a solid sense of what the game is about and who might be involved. It should draw both readers and potential gamers into the game.)

Prologue:

Dwalin stood upon the battlements of the wall, gazing at the vast land of Erebor. It was a beatiful place now, filled with trees, covered in grass, and surrounded by great statues. Turning back to look out over the mountainous northern region, the young dwarf stared out over the grey mountains of the north, scanning the horizon again, as he had done so many times over the past few days. Still no sign of the Uruks, he thought, but they will come.
Turning to a commander, he motioned him over. "Are there any sightings of Uruk Hai on you side of the wall, Kalin?," said Dwalin. "I have seen nothing over here." The dwarven general looked around the lands outside the wall. "Nothing over where I was. Maybe the report was wrong after all."

Then the horn sounded. The great horn of the lonely mountain, only blown when enemies were approaching. Then Dwalin's blood ran cold, for he new what the warning meant.

The Uruk Hai had arrived.

First Post:

Bali the dwarf looked around at the small group of warriors before him, all standing around outside the Inn. He looked each one over, carefully and slowly. Battle hardened warriors, all. Truly these are the ones to save Erebor. Then he spoke.

"We are setting out for Erebor now, in hopes of reaching it before my people are defeated. All of you have different reasons for making the journey. You may be seeking adventure, be looking for wealth, or have sworn to destroy the enemies that threaten Erebor. I and my friend Eruantalon have only one. To save the Lonely Mountain, and the kingdom of Erebor from the force invading it. We are bound to this, but none of you must go further on this journey than you will. It is by your choice that you are coming, and if you choose to leave our party, then so be it."

Having said that, he opened an old, dusty map, and lay it on the ground before them. "Now, we must plan our route. As I have said before, Moria cannot be passed through. The bridge is broken, and evil dwells there that we alone cannot defeat. Thus, we must find another way around the Misty Mountains. We have only two choices: The long journey to the gap of Rohan, or the dangerous pass of Caradhras."

Here he pointed to a place on the map. "Caradhras lies near the entrance to the Mines of Moria. It is the only known way to cross over the mountains now, without going around them. I know little of it, save that winter is year-round there; snow can pile up to twice the size of a grown man, and the wind can chill you to the bone. Many a traveler has died by the anger of Caradhras.

The Gap of Rohan, with which you are already familiar, may sound like an easier route (it was, for I myself took it). But if we are to reach Erebor before its destruction, it may take too long to travel south, then north. We need to have straight paths whenever possible.

And so I will put it to vote. Who favors taking the gap of Rohan? And who favors Caradhras?"

Other information of special interest that you would like to include:

The game will actually begin in "The Green Dragon Inn" Thread. All interested will have their characters either overhear Bali's conversation with Eruantalon, or see the notice that Bali puts up on the wall, and then will talk to them about it. Then everyone will go to bed. Early the next morning, all will rise and meet downstairs where they will have breakfast.Then everyone will leave the inn. Once outside, the real game will begin in "The Road To Erebor: RPG" thread in the "Shire" section.

Proposer/Owner (Please use your Barrow Downs ID):

Himaran

RPGs at the Barrow Downs I have participated in are the following (if you have not, explain where you have developed your RPG skills):

I have participated for awhile in The Green Dragon Inn. This will be the first REAL rpg I have participated in or lead.

Contact via: PM

email at: erebor@m-net.arbornet.org

Just let me know what you think!!!!
Thanks,
Himaran - Your loyal dwarven friend
Old 02-01-2003, 11:21 PM   #34
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Himaran,

Please check your private messages. This appears to be a Shire proposal, and you'd need to speak with Piosenniel or myself as the moderators in that area. This is generally done by private message.

It is possible that you have spoken to Pio, but I don't recall seeing this before. Excuse me if I have made an error here.

Also, please note that the Downs generally requires posters to have participated in at least one game before they act as game founders.

However, let's get in touch and clarify some of this.

Child of the 7th age, Shire moderator
aka Cami Goodchild
Old 02-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #35
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Himrahan, You've already been contacted about your proposal. If you want more information, please wait for Gandalf_theGrey to respond to your emails.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:26 AM   #36
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Hmmm. I suppose that your requirement that a game founder play in at least one game prior to trying to run one is not unreasonable. Running a game can be challenging, I guess.

So, Susan, you require me to describe my gaming experience? Very well. I'll do this by adding a line to my signature:

Quote:
Nonesuch is very Mithterious...
Nonesuch is a mithnomer...
Nonesuch is mithunderstood...
To this I'll add: Nonesuch is...Mithadan

'Nuff said?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #37
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I had a feeling someone besides a newcomer was "playing" Nonesuch. I doubt very many newcomers would choose to be the "guinea pig" let alone take so much advice in one bite.

I also have a question. When making RPG proposals, when one writes ones experiences, does formerly being in a "closed" or "ended" RPG, count against the proposer? For instance I was in several RPG's before Rohan, the Shire, and Gondor even existed. Most of them were closed for various reasons, before the game was finnished.

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Morai ]
Old 02-03-2003, 08:30 AM   #38
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Yes, experience in "older" BD RPGs does count. We may also consider experience at another website, but often suggest a game in the Shire first because our RPGs are run differently under stricter rules than at most other websites.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #39
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Nonesuch, after some discussion, the proposal reviewers have decided to accept your proposal. Please let me know when you're ready for me to open a discussion thread, yada yada, so on and so forth. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

btw, What will be your RPG's title?

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 02-05-2003, 02:13 PM   #40
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Title: To Rescue Celebrian

I will do a bit of recruiting and then I'd like to open the discussion board next week. Thanks!