Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #281
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Green Dragon Inn Facts:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff and Postmaster; his pony’s name is Dumpling.
  • Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.
  • Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

IT IS NOW EVENING IN THE SHIRE. SUPPER IS BEING SERVED.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:22 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #282
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Buttercup and Ruby

‘So!? Give it up, Ruby! I saw you with that Hamfast fellow.’ Buttercup nudged her friend. ‘What’s he like?’

‘Nice enough, my nosy friend,’ Ruby replied, her brows arching at the questions. Her lips curved into a smile as she grabbed her friend’s arm. ‘Oh, if you must know . . . I do fancy him a bit. But mum’s the word – there’s nothing worse than some lad with a swelled head.’

‘Meat!’ came the cry from the Common Room. ‘Back to work,’ grumbled Buttercup, picking up a platter of sliced venison while Ruby put the pot-holders to the large tureen of taters and carrots she was to lug out.

There were Hobbits and Big Folk queuing up for the evening meal – some for firsts and many, by the looks of them, for seconds and possibly thirds. Buttercup and Ruby grinned broadly at the group; being Hobbits they enjoyed the sight of people enjoying food, and as many plates as they wished.

A young woman stood at the bar, red haired with glittering green eyes. Her cloak was pulled about her as if she were cold, though the room it self and the mass of people in it was quite warm. ‘I’ll bring her a drink to warm her,’ offered Buttercup as she heard the Innkeeper take the woman’s order. Minutes later, and the Hobbit had returned with a steaming cup of sweetspice tea in her hand. She handed it to Crystal, who had introduced herself as Buttercup stood before her.

‘Tea!? But I has hoping for something stronger,’ Crystal said, clasping the warm mug in her chilled hands. The warmth of it was welcome . . . and what was that aroma? Something strong and heady mixed with the lemon and honey sweetness of the steam that rose from the mug.

‘Tea, ma’am, it is – but with a little of the special Dwarven spirits the Inn stocks. Whiskey, I think it’s labeled. Sets a glow in your tummy . . . or so I’ve been told,’ she said winking at the woman.

‘More bread!’ The cry for food rang out again.

Buttercup excused herself and ran back to the kitchen. Ruby threw her a loaf as she entered the door, and soon several baskets were filled with thick chunks of Green Dragon bread to sop up the last of the juices on an empty plate. Another tub of sweet cream butter was loaded onto the tray, as well as a jar of fireweed honey.

‘And just where is Miss-High-And-Mighty-Hawthorne now?!’ grumbled Buttercup as they placed the tray on the bar top and another call for “meat” was heard over the general clamor in the Inn.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:55 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #283
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Thank you for the drink. I think it is exactly what I need," Crystal said as she took a sip, the warm drink slid down her throat and warmed her insides just as the woman named Buttercup had informed her. She smiled in satisfaction. She had never had a drink like this before, but it was exactly what she needed. The worries and stress of her life began to lift with each deep breath of she took in from the cup.

Crystal had been asked if she would like to have supper for an couple of extra coins. She nodded, wishing that she had more coins. She hadn't had a nice warm meal in weeks. It smelled wonderful and totally amazing. She held the spoon and looked around. The Inn was bustling with activity. She brought a small portion of the food to her lips and blew upon it softly to cool it. She put the spoon in her mouth, an explosion of flavor broke in her mouth.

"Pure magic," Crystal whispered to herself as she ate another bite. Not even her mother could cook this fabulously. She ate it slowly, trying to prevent from looking like a famished woman. Even though she had been hungry for several days. She couldn't find anything edible in days and had been on her journey with a very upset and empty stomach.

"Whomever made this, please tell them that it is truly delightful," Crystal said to the bartender as she continued to eat.

The bar was lively. She watched in interest as the hobbits danced and sang in a drunken stupor. She laughed lightly, the first time in months. She had never seen such lively people. Or ones that couldn't hold their liquor very well. They obviously never had gone very far in a drinking contest. If she started a drinking contest here, she could probably win a lot more money then she had now. She didn't think she would though, they all seemed so kind here. She wasn't in the mood to swindle money from such kind people.

Every hope and dream that they had seemed to live in this Inn. She had never felt so alive, so happy before. Not for years anyway. She couldn't believe the understanding, the kindness that seemed to fill this place. She knew she could be entirely wrong on what she was feeling, but right now she didn't care if she was wrong. She just wanted to bask in this thought, these feelings. She didn't want to feel sad anymore.

She knew she was being silly, but it was hard not to dwell in the memories that had pursued her in her quest to get away. She had been trying very hard to get away, to run away from all that had happened. And now she was here, stuck because her funds had slowly left her. Like the life that seemed to have left her long ago.

She began to have thoughts of finding someone. A man that would give her all the money she needed to get her away. Maybe he would even accompany her on her quest to run away from memories and time itself. Yet she knew that that was a silly notion. Who would fall in love with her again? No one would. No one, but the one she called Arty.

Arty was perfect. His hair dark and his skin tanned. His light sky eyes shone through her soul. They found all her secrets, all her wounds, and all of her hopes. He knew her more then anyone else in this world and now he was gone. Gone to that place after death. She had to believe he was there, she couldn't believe that his soul had perished and that she would never see him again.

That's all that kept her going now. The thought that he had survived past death. That he had survived even death, even though she knew that to be impossible.

Her eyes glistened with tears as she continued to eat her supper.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:41 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Crystal Heart ]
Old 01-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #284
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman smiled politely at the man who said he had known Bilbo. She had not known Bilbo - after all, he had sailed to the havens twelve years ago, and the Innkeeper was only in her twenties - but wished that she had - the Shire was full of right characters, so for Bilbo to have stood out so much must have made him really something.

Serving the strange, chilled looking woman with a plate of the venison to accompany the highly spiked drink that Ruby had given her, guessing the woman would appreciate it. A glittering glance from a pair of eyes as green as Aman's own startled Aman as they flicked up from the woman's hands to the Innkeeper's face, and for a moment the woman seemed surprised.

"Eat it," the Innkeeper commanded. "Looks like you need some good food in you."

"I..."

"The food isn't expensive, don't worry, and we can find another way to settle the debt - and, I'm sure, some of the other problems you may have." Aman regarded the woman, and was impressed when she returned the look. "What's your name?"

Before the woman could answer, a shriek came from the other side of the room, and the sound of a heated debate. Looking over the heads of the customers, Aman was alarmed to see Hawthorne at the centre of it, along with a soaked and bedraggled looking woman...and mayor Samwise himself. Murmuring a few words that would blister a horse's ears, Aman excused herself apologetically from the company of the woman at the bar and darted across the lively and noisy room as quickly as she could.

By the time she arrived, the kerfuffle appeared to be over. Catching the last of it as she arrived on the Inn's porch, Aman smiled politely as the hobbit-woman turned to look at her and inclined her head to the likeable Mayor, who currently looked rather worried. "Master Gamgee, Miss..."

"My name is Dandelion, miss. You would be the Innkeeper?"

"Aye, I'm Aman."

Dandelion pursed her lips and looked at Aman critically before nodding at something, as if fulfilling a report. "Aye. Well, I'm the companion and maid of Miz Hawthorne there," she inclined at head back into the Inn. "And...well, look, you and I shall have words tomorrow, if that's ok - see, I have to be getting back with Master Samwise now."

Aman nodded, impressed by this woman's competent, business-like air. "If you wish - I shall wait for it with interest. Good afternoon to both of you."

After exchanging goodbyes with Samwise and Dandelion, Aman came back into the hot Inn and, after scanning the room, nipped across to Hawthorne. Politely taking hold of the hobbit lass's elbow, she coughed slightly, and the hobbit turned, her smile fading as a worried look replaced it, frankly looking as if she thought Aman would fire her on the spot. The rohirrim Innkeeper grinned slightly at the expression. "Good grief, don't look so worried my dear. But may I ask what that little episode was?"
Old 01-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #285
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Crystal watched the disturbance, then turned back. This person, this Aman as she had heard her call herself, was certainly different. Aman reminded her slightly of her mother, but she pushed those thoughts aside.

"Yes, many troubles," Crystal replied to the bartender.

The atmosphere still seemed friendly and kind. She just couldn't believe that after such a ruckas that it would stay the same way.

"It is quite different here then my home," Crystal spoke up, wondering why she was.

She usually was shy and never spoke a word. The place of her home, her lineage, and her life were secret and she never spoke about them. She had no idea why she would speak about it now.

"Who is that woman they call Aman? Is she the mayor of this town?" Crystal asked, her curiousity finally picking up with her mind and wandering.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:37 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Crystal Heart ]
Old 01-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #286
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As there are no broken bones, this won't have lasting effects, as long as you don't try to break the furniture with your head" Said Eradan, Sírabel couldnt help laughing.

Eradan then spoke of Carn Dum and the reason he was there. He looks so sad, no sad is not the right word, lost. she thought looking at him as he told her of why he was living there. Sírabel touched his arm, "Of course i want to hear the story! Just dont make me cry, becuase im not fond of sad ones." she said and went to touch her head again but stopped and put her hand down on the table. "Your right, i think some soup is in order. I beg your pardon." she said and went to see Ruby at the bar and returned with two bowls and a pot of hot tea.

"Now, Please, wont you tell me your story?"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-20-2004, 12:55 AM   #287
Gird
Animated Skeleton

Gird has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gird had completely forgotten about the hobbits he had been speaking with. He was looking at the door, half listening, half thinking. He then heard the sound again, louder this time. It was the cry of a wolf in the distance, not too far away, but far enough so that no one else in the inn heard it.

Gird stood up, and had a changed look on his face. No longer was the humble-bumbling traveller look on his face. He wore a grim face as if something was hurting him, and also like he had something that he needed to do.

He walked towards the door, oblivious to the announcement of supper. He pulled out a blade that no one had ever seen with him before. it was an odd knife, with a blade that curved forwards, and it was made of a dark steel.

Gird placed his room key on the counter as he passed, and said something about "not needing this at the present." He swung the door open fast, and walked out at a quick pace.

He didn't even shut the door.

"I am Ugluk, I command."
Ugluk
Old 01-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #288
Er-Murazor
Pile O'Bones

Er-Murazor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the eyes of Sirabel, Eradan saw with some surprise the same mercy that Cree had shown few minutes ago. When she said that she wanted to hear his story, he nodded and said: "It isn't a sad story. It is the story of a coward".

When Sirabel returned from the bar with the supper and tea, Eradan drunk some of it before talking.

"Yes. I will tell you my story. My name is Eradan Durgilon. Lonely man and master of the dark star, it means in the language of the grey elves. Fitting names, some would say."
"I was born near Fornost, about thirty years ago, raised and trained among the Rangers of the North, to become in due time one of their kind."

"I was good. I am good. I can follow the tracks of almost everything as long as it doesn't fly... My instructors said that I was one of the best fighters among the students of my age."

"However, that habilities were not a gift. My ancestors had chosen to live in Eriador after the defeat of Arthedain and the ruin of the north. But it wasn't my choice. Our captain was a great man, but the Darkness seemed undefeatable. Of course, I didn't know of that secret that hide in this very land of the Shire."

"I decided to run away. Ten years before the war of the Ring. I had decided to sworn allegiance to the Dark Lord in exchange for my unworthy life. But I didn't complete my treason. After having reached the very gates of Mordor, I turned, full of guilt after realizing what I was about to do."

"The secrets I knew then may have changed the fate of the world, leading Endor to a very dark time. I was too coward to make such a thing. There was no longer place for me in the Light or in the Darkness. The empty ruins of Carn Dum were the only place I could go. I have been hiding there until I heard that the Ranger of the North no longer want me dead. And I just decided that in any case, if I was going to die, I wanted to talk with somebody before doing so."
Old 01-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #289
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aman, hearing the chilled woman's voice as she steered Hawthorne towards the bar. She smiled and her eyebrows shot up, totally surprised.

"Good grief, my dear, I'm certainly not the mayor of a land of little people!" She grinned and the woman looked suddenly and acutely embarrassed. Seeking to sooth her embarrasment and hoping she hadn't offended the woman, she came around the bar. Hawthorne took the chance to scurry away to see to a customers order, and the Innkeeper watched for a moment, satisfied at the enthusiasm which the hobbit lass was showing. "Nay, I'm not Mayor; that would be Master Samwise Gamgee, the well-dressed, kindly individual you just saw leave. An excellent man, well liked as well as respected, and the father of a fine troupe of children," she added as further explanation, just a little background. The woman's eyes narrowed and Aman nodded, guessing what was coming next. "Aye, the same Samwise Gamgee that joined Frodo Baggins those years ago right into the heart of Mount Doom."

The woman seemed interested even, and it didn't just seem to be the polite interest she showed in customers. Aman felt herself warming to the woman - something certainly needed to, she still looked chilled to the bone. "I am the Innkeeper at the 'Dragon, although I hail from Rohan. I am not one of the little people, short though I may be," she smiled. "Still, this is the place I call my home now - and what about you? You spoke of this place being very different from your home. May I ask where that it?"
Old 01-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #290
LuthienNenharma

Eye

Luthien strode softly into the inn, cloaked and hooded in a long green robe, wearing a bow and quiver upon her back, and having a sword in it's hilt on her belt.
Two soft grey eyes shone from beneath the hood, and she smiled as she sat at a small table in the back. She sharpened her knife as she gazed around at the conversing beings around her, she spoke no words, and silently gazed out into the bar.

Shortly after her flew in a red-tailed hawk, with dazzling blue eyes, which screeched and landed on the shoulder of her robe. She reached up and stroked it with one long fingered hand.

On her palm there was an elvish rune of some sort, in grey faded color. The hawk rustled it's futher impatiently and warbled. She gave it some fresh red meat from a small pouch on her belt and chuckled softly, whispering soft words in elvish to the bird.

A long strand of black hair fell visible on the front of her green cloak, and she pushed it back with a handstroke, sighing and leaning back against the wall behind her.

"I guess father was right about this place..." she said softly, stroking her bird fondly, "then again he was one of the wisest elves i have ever known, and one of the quickest with a sword...but not quick enough..." she sighed, stroking the hawk as it twittered and glared at everyone around them.

Luthien smiled, "Don't worry my love, we will go back to Mirkwood, Eryn Lasgalen, soon enough...after all, we cannot keep Lumenenth and Nerili waiting for long ,can we?"

She sighed and gazed out the window. Her chestnut mare Estel stood grazing on a hill. The hawk let out a low twitter. She always enjoyed flying alongside Estel as she galloped, seeing who won in a race.

Quote:
To the Sea! To the Sea! The white gulls are calling. The wind is blowing and the white foam flying....Grey Ship,Grey Ship do you hear them calling, the voices of my people who have gone before me. I will leave, I will leave the woods that bore me.In Eressea in Elven home which no man can discover, Where the leaves fall not, land of my people forever..
<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:34 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: LuthienNenharma ]

Old 01-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #291
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Sírabel held a trembling hand to her lips. "That is so a sad story." Her eyes were now filled with pitty for Eradan.

"Dont you see? You were just afraid, everyone becomes afraid, why! Im the most flighty person that i know-" she was searching for more comforting words until she rembered what Eradan had said. "You swore alliegance to The dark Lord?"

Eradan nodded slowly. Sírabel gasped and after a few seconds began to speak. "Well, Mr Durgilon, Now i have heard many a story of people's lives, and i have come to the conclusion that my life has been rather dull." she paused and took a sip of her tea.

"Well Mr Durgilon, you seem like a nice enough man, i would have never have believed it had someone else spoke of it to me, anyhow. I wont judge you, that was all in the past. And i do not wish for you to die, id hate to loose another friend, but if you are unsure, well i am glad to be speaking with you." she said dragging her fingers through her long burgundy hair.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #292
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Lewis smiled and he didn't want to hide it. He was happy and he didn't care who knew it. Lewis was about to order some food, when he heard the announcement that supper would be served. "Well, that's good timing," he said with a chuckle, "I'll go order some food, to save Aman from having to bring it here."

Lewis got up, and walked over to the bar. "Could I please have two plates with venison?" "Of course sir," came the answer. Lewis pulled out some coins in the appropriate ammount and placed them on the counter. He thought while he waited for the food, about Ravon. How lucky he had been to have met her, and become friends with her so quickly.

He received the plates and walked back to the table where Ravon was sitting. "Here we are. Some nice, fresh cooked venison."
Old 01-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #293
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Crystal blinked and looked back over to the man. Samwise Gamgee, the one name she had known better then her father's name.
"Samwise Gamgee is a mayor? He sure is one well rounded man," Crystal replied as she took another drink. The warm liquid bubbled inside her.

Aman was taking quite a liking to her, that much she could tell. Maybe it was the liqueor, maybe it was the lonely hole that filled her heart, maybe it was Aman's openness that was making her feel like she should open up.

"Home is far away, in a land long gone. Home is so far away that neither you nor I would ever recognize the no longer lush fields of war. Home is a memory that only I and other wanders from that home hold. Home is gone," Crystal replied as she ate more of the stew.

Her mind wandered to the lush fields of green that held her childhood wonders. Her mind wandered to the day she had met the one man that she had wanted to live and die with. He had died without her, leaving her to live in this world filled with strangers. Strangers that didn't take kindly wanders from a time in life that use to be kind. Wanders like herself.

She had been shunned from any place she had gone. She had be turned away from warm beds and real homes. She had been turned away from young men that could have given her hope and a new life.

Maybe that's what she was looking for. Maybe that's what she wanted. The safety, security, and love that only one man had shown her. Maybe that's why she continued to wander.

"Home is in Rohan for me. A Rohan that will never welcome me once more," Crystal said quietly, as memories of her time flowed through her mind like water. Each memory a stone in her mind that stopped and placed its self in the riverbed of her mind. The riverbed that twisted into the distance of a future she didn't know would come. A future that never felt like it would be here.

"Rohan is not as kind as many would make some believe," Crystal retorted as she took another sip from her glass. She looked out over the Inn. This place, this Shire that they called it, was amazing in its kindness and warm. Amazing that so many could live together in happiness and even though disputes were what always happened, they still were able to come in here for a pint and have a good time.

"Maybe my wanders are over," Crystal whispered as the feeling of being home washed over her like a wave from the sea. She had been to the sea once, when she was just a wee child. It had been an experience that she would never forget and had vowed to allow that experience to whatever children she would have. As of late she had been wishing to settle down, start a family, and to be happy once more. Maybe here she would get those wishes.

Crystal turned to Aman and smiled brightly, her eyes glowing with happiness as the feeling of belonging set into her weary mind.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #294
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Angry walked rather skillfully into the Green Dragon. He felt he was really getting the hang of this walking lark, it would be easier if the floor didn't keep moving around so much. It wasn't really right for the floor to be so horrid, it wasn't even as if he'd been drinking.
Well, he had just shared that keg of homebrew with the Proudfoot Twins. Their old man had had a few things to say about that! He couldn't remember quite what those things were though.

With one last push of effort he made it all the way through the crowd of faces swimming in front of his eyes to the bar. He slammed his half-empty tankard (carried all the way from the Proudfoot's house) on the rough wooden surface and said to the girl behind it,
"Fill 'er up would you love? And while you're at it you can marry me an' all!"

Finshing this tricky sentence, he triumphantly perched himself on a stool and swung his hairy feet in the air.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:02 AM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Angry Brandybuck ]
Old 01-21-2004, 06:43 AM   #295
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Crystal looked over at the man and laughed lightly. She hadn't heard such boldness since she was a wee girl. A young boy had said something similiar to her father and he scared him away.

That boy was Arty, how he had loved her. He never wanted anything to happen to her. He had even said that he would die for her and in the end he had. He had died protecting her from the one man that had scared him away on his first encounter.

She blocked the memories. She wouldn't let them. Not here, not now, not ever again. She would be free of her haunting memories. She would be free from the jail cell her mind had created for her. She would be free from it all.

I will make a new life here, Crystal thought with a smile as she finished her supper. The night was closing in around the Inn, but now that didn't matter to Crystal. She wasn't worry about lodging for the night. These people were kind. I can work for my pay. I can work honestly for my money, Crystal thought. The thought alone made her feel proud. She hadn't earned a decent coin in years. She wasn't proud of it, but she had done what she had done in the past to survive. She vowed she wouldn't do those things again.

She took a small pouch out of her cloak and gave the last of her coins to the Innkeeper.

"Thank for the meal. How much is it to rent a room for a night?" Crystal asked, hoping that it wasn't much. She wanted to pay in advance if she could, but she wasn't sure she would be able to. Her fingers found their way to her locket, her one possession from Arty that she had also been able to save before her father had destroyed all the artifacts of her mother and Arty in that fire he had created.

"I could give you something for the room until I get enough money for it," Crystal suggested with baited breath. She couldn't believe that she could part from this, but she wanted to become honest once again. This was the only way she knew how.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #296
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Angry looked around the room while he waited for his beer (they were having to change the keg over). He noticed a tall, female human laughing at him. Then again, on the way over to the inn he had seen three blue sheep laughing at him, so he didn't take any action against her. He knew his old Dad would have a few things to say about all these humans coming into the Green Dragon, but he felt he quite liked the mixed company.

The bowl of his pipe wavered in front of his eyes as he concentrated his entire mental capacity on stuffing it with his last bit of Longbarrow. After an age of patting, unbuttoning and rummaging, Angry found himself desperately short of a taper. This would not do, a hobbit with a full pipe and no means by which to light it! Whatever next?

Brandybuck courage flowing through his veins, Angry got down from the stool and approached the woman he had seen laughing earlier. As he got nearer he made some attempt at tidying his attire and settle his wild brown hair.

When he reached her he touched lightly on her elbow and, in his best Common Tongue, said
"Err...Excuse me Miss, but I couldn't trouble you for any means of lighting my pipe could I?"
Old 01-21-2004, 07:37 AM   #297
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ravon looked up to see Lewis coming back with the plates of food. She offered her hand to the young man. To her everyone was young whether it be in real life or in their heart. "Thank you Lewis. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't met you. Well I know I would still be after Cree. Yet now I'm happy and no one can take that away from me. Your the only one that could make me happy."

She reached to her side and pulled out a pouch. "Here I want you to have this." She pulled out what seemed to be some sort of ring. "This ring has many stories behind it." She remembered the day she found the ring. It had been so long ago. A gift to her from her father. Now she had given it to Lewis. She knew she would never have anyone else to give it to. Perhaps the mirror was wrong. It never did show Lewis in my future. All it showed was sadness. Indeed he has changed my future.

She placed the ring on the table. "Will you accept my gift?" Her words sounded soft. She didn't know what to do if he refused it. My father wouldn't know what to think of me now if he saw me. I have changed so much from the time I left Eryn Lasgalen.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #298
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Crystal felt a tap upon her shoulder and glanced down at the hobbit that had asked for a light. She smiled kindly as she took out her taper from the pouch.

"Of course," She replied as she held it out for him. She had never used the taper, but it had come in handy for others that needed. She figured she could sell it one day, but it had been Arty's and she just couldn't force herself to sell it.

Crystal looked into the hobbit's eyes and was surprised to find a familiar glint in them.

"Arty?" Crystal asked lightly, her heart beginning to race. Thoughts of hearing of his death became blurred and a whirlwind of wishings swooped through her mind.

Realizations broke in her mind like a dam that couldn't stop the flood waters from pouring over. Her wishing, her happiness, faded.

"I'm sorry to pressume anything. You reminded me of a man I use to know," Crystal said hurriedly as she glanced back into her cup.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:32 PM   #299
Er-Murazor
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"And I am glad, too. And even more glad that you don't want me to die. However I think that there is an important point that I should clear: I didn't swore allegiance to the Dark Lord. Such was my intention in the beginning of my fall and I almost did so, but in the end I decided that dooming Middle Earth wasn't something I wanted".

"The secrets I knew were important. Sauron would have know of the identity of the heir of Isildur too soon. He may have attacked Gondor without hesitation. And that would have been the end of all hope. I could not survive in exchange of the lifes of untold thousands. That was too much even for a coward like me. My deeds grant that there is no longer place for me neither in the Darkness, nor in the Light. But I am alive. No reward is offered for my life, as the Rangers think that stripping my from my heirlhoom and rights is punishment enough for my treachery. And I am among another people with a delicious bowl of hot soup... Not that far away from what I wanted."

"I have no ambition but live. And live with some happines and comfort, if it is possible. The days in which I was involved in the making of history are now the past, hopefully. But I think I have said too much. Would you like to tell me your own story in return for mine, lady Sirabel?", asked Eradan while he drinked little snips of soup with the spoon.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:36 PM   #300
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Angry gratefully accepted the light offered by the beautiful lady he was now confronted with. His already ruddy cheeks blushed profusely at being held in her intense gaze. He was taken aback even more when she called him "Arty". Thinking it was a trick of his beer befuddled mind he ignored it and continued with the important, and rather tricky, task of lighting his pipe.

When he finally overcame his embarrassment at the attention from such a beautiful, and tall woman, he looked at her again. She had looked back down now, and a seemingly immeasurable sadness had filled her eyes. Angry prided himself on his ability to react well to situations, and to always say just the thing to cheer melancholy people up...

Here, however, he was stuck. He stood in an awkward silence a while, wracking his poor little brain for something to say.

"So... You'll have somewhere to be staying then I presume?"

Despite his drunkeness, he could see that this was a lady who was all alone in the world, and he knew that lonliness could be cured, cured by company.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:35 AM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Angry Brandybuck ]
Old 01-21-2004, 02:01 PM   #301
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Huan walked down the quiet road. His feet were painful and his knees were hurting badly. The sight of an Inn further ahead seemed to comfort the pain a bit and he hastened his pace. His cloak was swept by a gust of wind and flew back. It got loose from his neck and flew away. Cursing the wind he went after it and soon recollected the cloak from a bush. Now the road was longer once more. Nothing more than a few steps, but annoying nonetheless. His mood wasn’t improved and he decided to stop walking and start running. He was more than fed up with this trip and the Inn seemed to be unreachable. He grasped his hat tightly so it couldn't be blown off and in a last effort he finally reached the sturdy Inn door.

The people inside didn't notice him much and he hung his cloak on the rack which was beginning to get stuffed. He walked to a table and crashed down on a chair. A nice lady came and asked if he needed anything. He was satisfied with an ale and a warm meal. He filled his pipe and lit it. Finally at peace, he scouted around for a familiar
face, but expected none.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:11 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Potatothan ]
Old 01-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #302
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Aman eyed the man suspiciously, but didn't throw him out - she's had a fair amount of marriage proposals as such, and the novelty had worn off somewhat; although he was drunk, he wasn't insensible; he was acting perfectly decently towards Crystal. Those three things being as they were, Aman decided to leave the hobbit be for the time being.

Drifting along the bar slightly not too far, she looked along the room to another newcomer who had come in, a weary looking and slightly scruffy individual who looked as though the increasingly windy weather of the progressing afternoon had not been especially kind to him. The man didn't notice her though, and seemed in no particular hurry to get a drink; she would go over to him in a minute.

Checking on the pair one last time before she would go over to the solitary, windswept individual, Aman raised her eyebrows. "Another drink?"

The good-natured hobbit grinned amiably. "Oh, aye!"

Aman half-smiled at him - possibly he wasn't so drunk as he made out then. She turned her gaze to meet one so similar. "And can I get anything for you?" she inquired of Crystal.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #303
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A pattering of hooves was heard from outside, and the snort of a horse...boot crashed in the earth and a man of full height ducked under the door to enter...

Long dark blond hair hung bedragled about his head, and scalemail armour covered his torso and extended down to his legs, which were covered in bronze greaves. A short, neatly trimmed beard grew on his chin, and it extended into a moustache. His cloak pin was a brass circlet, with a bone horse fitted neatly inside...

He moved to a table and sat heavily, the pommell of a Rohirric shortsword protruded from an ornate scabbard...

As he sat down he romoved his helm, and his hair fell to his shoulders, he put his helm on the table and called for an ale...
Old 01-21-2004, 06:09 PM   #304
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Aramil swayed in and out of reality. He couldn't even be sure if his problems really existed. He thought the ale had solved his problems though, and was very confused. The world started spinning and his vision blurred. He tried to stand, then WHAM!

He instanly collapsed to the floor and balcked out.All he remebered was someone standing over him saying something about "bad mushrooms."
Old 01-21-2004, 06:33 PM   #305
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Sírabel hesitated for a moment, deep in thought while Eradan patiently sat. After a few moments more she spoke, "Well, i guess i should start at the beginning, then shouldnt i?" she sighed.

"I was born in Long lake, My father was a merchant, nothing exciting there. And my mother was a housewife, I never knew her, she died giving birth to me, and you know, im not sad about it either. I never knew her so i couldnt really ever truly miss her. But at times I did miss the fact I never had a mother. I have a sister called Sírawen who is married to someone twice her age, they have a child also called Sírawen. (Much to my dismay, I wanted something origional, or somethign elvish..)" she stopped quite out of breath.

"My father is 'not quite with us' anymore, no I dont mean he's dead, I just mean how old people get sometimes, you understand?" Eradan nodded.

"When i was twenty-one I left home to see the world. I can tell you now Mr Durgilon, that I certainly did not want to spend my life in Long Lake married to someone twice my age with nothing to do all day but look after children like my sister, i couldnt stand it! I spent a long time in Minas Tirith painting, (you know im an artist), many of my works hand in the galleries there, there are a few in King Elessar's citadel as well."

Sírabel took the time to drink some more of her tea. "Now here is something which may interest you." she turned her blue eyes on Eradan, "I met up with a ranger of the north in Minas Tirith, that is how i came to be here. His name was Hamirdan, now i dont know if you know him but I rode most of this way with him and some of his companions." she stopped and smiled.

"You see Mr Durgilon, i told you my life was dull."

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #306
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Will you accept my gift?" Lewis wasn't sure how to reply. He had nothing to give back to Ravon in exchange. Except... surely, if she would give him the ring, then he could give it to her.

"I will accept your gift," he replied, "if you accept mine." Lewis reached around his neck and unclasped a silver chain that wasn't all that special, but on it, was a triangular pendant, that had a design on it, and a green jem in the middle of it. He held it out to Ravon.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #307
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Melisil

Melisil blinked sleepily, she hadn't remembered how long it had been since she had last met the sweet embrace of sleep. It was overcoming her slightly now.

"Eruisto," she began, "I'm sorry, could you excuse me? I'm very tired, I think I will go up to my room. Thank you so very much for talking with me." Melisil stood up. "If you are here later this evening, or possibly tommorow morning, then I will see you then. Goodnight for now though."

Melisil walked up the stairs to her room, upon entering, she took out a bag that had been hiding under her cloak. From that she pulled out a few of her belongings and placed them on the dresser-top. After changing into her night gown, she quickly fell to sleep.

Eocalad

Eocalad walked out of the inn and towards the stables, he stroked his horse lovingly. "What do you say, shall we go back to Rohan?" He whispered to the animal.

Home was something he had not seen for a while, he missed his family, his wife. Originally he had only planned to be gone for a week or so, but things had been prolonged. "It's been too long." Eocalad said decidingly, he walked his horse out of the stable and hopped on. "Home..."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:29 PM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Melisil ]
Old 01-22-2004, 01:16 AM   #308
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Grimm entered the Inn the late evening with a smile on his face. He removed his hood and sat down by an empty table. He was quiet hungry so he walked to the counter and ordered some supper that already were being served among the guests. So peaceful, he thought, I might stay here for a while. He sipped his ale that he got and looked around himself. He saw a few dwarves sitting in the corner and a stranger sitting alone by the bar. Two hobbits were sitting close to each other and whispering. He he gazed out the window at his left side. It was getting dark.

He rose and walked to the Common Room. He sat down in an armchair and leaned back and then drew a deep sigh. It feels like this is my home, he thought, like I have been here before. He shook his head and laughed quietly. A hobbit looked up at him and looked confused. The hobbit thought Grimm was strange. Big folk!, he thought. Grimm said to the hobbit “You dont know anyone from Rohan around here?”. The hobbit seemed shy, but answered “Erhm, the only one I know of is the Innkeeper here, she’s from Rohan, her name is Aman”. Grimm nodded slowly. He looked around himself, he wanted to talk to someone, it had been a long journey from Rohan.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:40 AM   #309
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hama looked up from his ale. At the mention of Rohan he was instantly alert, as was his nature...

He caught Grimm's eye and smiled. 'Good to see another Rohirric face around here,' he said in Rohirric. 'I hear that the barlady is from the Mark as well, but I have not yet been up to the bar, so i have not found if this is true...'

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:04 AM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-22-2004, 02:48 AM   #310
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Sting

When the lady did not answer him, Angry grew ten times more embarrassed thatn he already had been. You stupid, stupid little hobbit he chastised himself, If hobbit women don't ever want to talk to you, what chance do you think you have with the big folk?

"Umm...I, err...I didn't mean to suppose, y'know, I just thought by looking at you, I thought to myself, 'Angry, now here is a lady thats all alone, and a lady thats all alone only needs a little company an' then she'll not be all alone' if you catch my meaning. An' I thought maybe, just maybe, I could do the right thing for once an' offer some help."

"An' I remembered that I've got a nice snug Hobbit hole not far from here, thats where I live thats is, an' I've got a spare room all waiting for a guest, but thats never had one, So y'know, I err...put two and three together, an' out popped a nice big pumpkin of an idea, if you pardon my using such a phrase"
Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #311
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"I'm sorry. I was somewhere else, in a time and place that have disappeared from this world," Crystal apologized. She smiled at him gently, allowing the care of her feelings to shine through.

"It sounds wonderful. I do need a place to stay. I would pay you for your kindess, but I don't actually have any money," Crystal said as her blush deepened. She didn't want to take advantage of a man that was obviously just slightly drunk. She had already taken advantage of too many men.

She shook her head at Aman when she asked if she wanted anything else. She didn't have the money for anything else. Crystal was beginning to wonder why money was ever an importance to people.

She unclasped the jeweled necklace that hung from her neck and held it out of the hobbit.
"If you'll please kind sir, take this as a payment of your kindess then I would be honored to stay with such a gentleman as you," Crystal replied with a smile that didn't show the breaking of her heart. She never wanted to part from this, but she had to if she was going to live through the night.

She studied his eyes again and couldn't help feeling as if she wasn't dreaming. That these were the eyes of her Arty, the only man that she had loved. The only man she had wanted to love. Maybe that's why her heart and stomach were feeling funny, but she could tell it wasn't Arty's eyes. They were the same in some ways, compassionate and kind, but the eyes had a different soul. The soul of this hobbit.

"Excuse me, kind sir, is your name at all Arty?" Crystal asked boldly, regretting it immediately. She had never asked a stranger for his name, but yet she never felt at home before. She watched his face for any sign of surprise and hoped silently.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:32 AM   #312
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ravon couldn't believe the beauty of the chain but the triangle pendant caught her eye. Ravon nodded her head in approval. "I would love to accept your gift.." She felt Lewis tense up. Is he afraid that I won't take it?

"Will you just due me the honor and place it around my neck." She could feel the tension leaving him. "Its rather lovely you know. Thank you Lewis. I will never take it off." Ravon felt her heart flutter. Now if he can just stick around and not run off.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #313
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Grimm noticed a man sitting alone near by him. "I am rohirric here too" the man had said and smiled. Grimm smiled and sat down beside the man. The man seemed nice and Grimm asked in rohirric "And your name is?". Great! Another man from Rohan, he thought and smiled to the man again. He tapped his fingers to the wooden table and tried to come up with something to talk about.

Grimm ordered an ale and awaited the strangers answer with excitment. He felt happy that he wasn't the only Rohirrim at the Inn. He had many friends that had been visiting The Shire and the Green Dragon Inn before, and they always said it was wonderful.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:23 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Fool Of A Took ]
Old 01-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #314
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hama reclined in his chair and ran a hand through his hair, light danced on his armour and reflected around the room,

"My name is Hama, son of Frealaf." Grimm nodded, as if expecting to hear more, Hama chuckled quietly, "I fought on the Pelennor, and at the Black Gate. I lost many friends to the wicked Haradrim and their beasts. I wittnessed the attack of the oath-breakers led by Elessar." Hama smiled...

"Yet I am here in the shire, and I know not why, only that it cheers my soul to see a land so untouched by darkness..."

He sighed and drained the rest of his ale, it would take a long time to erase the horrific memories of the Seige of Gondor, but he hoped that someday he might forget, he turned to Grimm, "yes, it cheers my soul..."

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:04 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Hama Of The Riddermark ]
Old 01-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #315
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Angry stared in befuddlement at the pretty trinket dangled in front of his eyes while the meaning of what the lady had said filtered through the muddy quagmire of his mind. He was taken aback when he worked out what she was saying
"Ah, don't be ridiculous Miss, what would I want with such a pretty thing as that eh? No, come now, theres no point in me letting a bed go unused now is there?"

Although inside he knew that he would never go hungry with the money that shiny thing would get him, he could see plainly in this woman's eyes that there was history behind this artefact. He also knew that he was easily well-off enough not to need the money this thing would provide, He was a Brandybuck after all.

He had been warned by his parents about inviting 'strange folk' back to the new Hobbit Hole they had bought him, but he had been ever so lonesome in there ever since moving in.
"In fact," he said "I'd enjoy the company at breakfast time, and during most of the day come to think of it. Aye, theres a bed for you at Number 6, Grassy Knoll for however long you need it"

"as for me name, well, it is actually Arthur Brandybuck but most of my friends're want to call me Angry, on account of me never getting too worked up over anything. There're those'd call it a Hironik name, I just accept it as me own."

He proffered his stubby little hand to her as mean of a formal introduction, and beamed at her with his best smile.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #316
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Grimm nodded. "I fought at Helms Deep and Pelennors fields" Grimm said and sighed, "Darkness has left this world for now". He drew a deep sigh and then said to Hama "Well, this land sure is untouched by darkness and sorrow." Grimm shook his head slowly and said in rohirric to Hama "My own cause of being here is almost the same as yours. I want to see the lands that haven't suffered war and sorrow."

Grimm felt the memories of the horrible battle of Helms Deep coming back up on his mind. He could picture it. Just how his brother got slayed by an orc. Grimm sniffed and burried his face in his hands and tried to hold back his tears. He tried to pull himself together and be strong. "So, how long since you left Rohan?" Grimm asked in Rohirric. Hama seemed like he was thinking of something.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #317
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Please remember to follow this basic rule when you post in the Inn or a game:

Quote:
2. Write in complete sentences and in paragraph form. Each post that you make should be at least two paragraphs in length with each paragraph made up of at least two sentences. Separate the paragraphs by double spacing between them. This makes your posts easier to read and more enjoyable for everyone. ~*~ The Red Book of Westmarch/Rules for Posting in the Shire
Bottom line your post must contain these 2 paragraphs and then if you wish to put in a single line of dialog, or a single dramatic line at the end that's fine.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:20 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #318
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Crystal smiled, her heart lifting at the fact that she didn't have to give it away.

"You have a fine name Arthur. My name is Crystal, Crystal Heart. From the far reaches of Rohan. I appreciate your hospitality. But is there any way I can repay you for your kind heart?" Crystal asked.

Yet, even though her mouth was working in its normal way of speech, her head was not. Arty-Arthur. That had been his name as well, being called Arty by his dearest friends. Much like this Arthur's friends calling him Angry. It didn't seem to be luck or chance at all. Her mind was screaming that it had been fate, but she just didn't want to believe it.

Besides, he was a hobbit and she a human. What could they have in common?

Loneliness, Crystal thought as she watched the eyes of the hobbit in front of her. He was lonly and she had brought a ray of hope, happiness, companionship in those still slightly drunken eyes. Maybe she was wrong, but she was getting the distinct impression that he was a kind hobbit, even when drunk, and that whenever this stupor from the liquor wore off he would still be the same kindhearted and gentle gentleman that he was protraying at the moment.

She had seen the way he thought about the necklace though, yet that didn't worry her. She felt that her necklace, one of the only things of memory left for her, was safe around him.

She got down from the stool and stood only a foot taller then he. She was a shorter human, her mother had been extremely short and her father had been very tall. It was an interesting match, height wise, and had created a slightly short daughter.

Her eyes laughed at Angry's astonishment of being only a little bit taller then he.

"Not all that tall for a human, am I?" Crystal asked with a laugh.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #319
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hama turned round to Grimm, and he was surprised to see the shining of water in Hama's eyes as well.

'I left a while ago, several years. The village I live in in the West Emnet was attacked by Dunlendings while there were few Rohirrim left to defend it, they were all slaughtered and the village was razed, even the women and children. My wife, Naefrewyn, was abused and killed, and my lad, Leodwyn, was mutilated and killed...coming back to the stench and the ashes was the hardest thing to do...'

He paused, two fundamental instincts fighting within him, his shoulders rose and fell rapidly...a drop fell from his eye onto the table and splashed, he knuckled his brow. The light flashed around and illuminated his cloak pin momentarily, the brass reflected into Grimm's face for the smallest of moments before it vanished. Hama took a deep breath and sat back once more in his chair.

'We tried to rebuild the village, but there were too few of us and there were many more Dunlending raids. It was impossible. They haunt Isengard again, but there are only a few, with a strategic assault they could be romoved, but that is only until the next generation of them grows up and learns what we did to their fathers...'

He rose, "Stay here, I will be back soon.", withing five minutes he returned with two more frothing tankards of ale. One he set in front of Grimm, the other he put before himself. "How long is it since you left Rohan, and i do not yet know your name...?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:41 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Hama Of The Riddermark ]
Old 01-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #320
Er-Murazor
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"A dull life is a gift. And a valuable one with the Shadow lurking near your home. I never visited Esgaroth but two of my friends among the Rangers, Dinrandir and Aeldra went there in their youth. If they were telling the truth, the nocturn life of Laketown is very... intense?", said Eradan.

"And you have my most sincere condolence about both your parents. From what I heard, my father suffered from a similar illness after my betrayal. I don't have the courage to face him, I fear" he says with obvious pain.

"And you must be an artist of great skill if Elessar himself does like your works. Among the Rangers he was as reputed for his excelent artistic taste every bit as much as for his martial skills. Hamirdan? I don't know him. But there were many of the order I never met and since my departure some of the young ones may have received the rank of Ranger, I suppose" he said after thinking about the name for an instant.

"Would you like something more solid after the soup?" asks the dunadan while he looks around trying to find the Innkeper.