The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2002, 10:33 PM   #1
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe What scene made the biggest impression on you FROM THE BOOK?

(I am putting foward this question to find out what everyone else thinks, so I will decline to relate my own favorite/impressionable scene until later.)

Note: It doesn't have to be tragic, just something that stuck with you vividly.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting

Well, mine is trajic, and I think thats the only reason it stuck with me, because it made me cry, and i have never cried before with any other book, so this came as a suprise to me. But anyways, the scene was when Sam bore Frodo's ring and set out despretly to save Frodo from the tower where the orcs held him, and at the point where he found Frodo, and saved him from being whipped one more time. The really stuck with me.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

In all honesty, RotK was one of only two books that I have ever cried over. It was funny, because nobody died in the end or anything, but it all seemed so unbearably sad. The scene where Sam goes on alone with the ring is SO good, in a terrible way. You think that Frodo is done for, and all the while Sam is having disheartening misgivings about leaving his master. Personally I can't wait to see that in the movies.

I think you're right about the tragedies, Daisy. While I mentioned that the scene didn't have to be tragic, many of the really good ones are, so that's what I expect a lot of. There are, however, plenty of beautiful victories, like when Aragorn comes sailing up the river in his corsair boat. Those stick well, too.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
Old 05-01-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

What stuck with me most vividly were the scenes where Frodo, Sam and Gollum were going over the Dead Marshes, to the Crossroads and then to Cirith Ungol. They made such a vivid impression that I felt like I was there and that it was happening in real time; when they sat down to eat, time slowed down, and when they were trying to escape Shelob I was as breathless while reading it as if I had been running as hard as they. It was startling later on to find out that some readers had found those scenes to be slow and dull; for me they were some of the best and most intense writing I've ever read.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scene that stuck in my mind that most was when Sam found Frodo after the Orcs took him. That part was so emotional and sad, how he found him lying in a heap in the corner. *sniff* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 02:10 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The vivid scenes for me are the battle scenes - I find JRRT's description of them absolutely fascinating.

My other favorite scene is the interaction between Frodo and Sam and Faramir. He is a very interesting character - a man of great depth and perception!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:18 AM   #7
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I so agree with you Kalimac!!
I love the parts with Sam, Gollum and Frodo, all the little things, what they are thinking etc.
However, there are two places that I either cried or was heartbroken. The first one was when Sam thinks Frodo is dead....and he contemplates going on a revenge spree, then he thinks of killing himself (that almost broke my heart!!), then he cries....and finally he does what he feels is what Frodo would want him to do....it is not what he wants to do...remember he says if he manages to do the job then he will come back and never leave Frodo again....whether he kills himself deliberately or just gets himself killed is unclear, but it IS clear that he has no plans of returning to the Shire without Frodo. It is SOOO beautifully written!! I can feel his anguish at Frodo being dead, and at leaving him!! He really does not want to live any longer, but he does feel a responsibility for the ring not falling into Sauron's hands if he can help it.
The other scene is the Havens!! I cry buckets every time!! If these scenes are done well in the RotK I will be a total wreck afterwards!! (and will have used up a box of tissues too [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )
Given that PJ has said he is intensifying the Gollum, Sam, Frodo relationship and expanding Faramir's role, I think TTT will be a great movie....but it is RotK that will blow us away if it is done well.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:34 AM   #8
Halfir
Animated Skeleton

Halfir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me the most gripping moment is The Battle of The Pelennor Fields, when Theoden faces the Lord of the Nazgul, and Eowyn and Merry come to his aid. The images that come to mind in that section of the story I find wonderfully heroic and incredibly moving. I only hope the movie lives up to the book.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:00 AM   #9
Xenoia

Sting

I liked the Battle of the Pelennor fields too, the images were very vivid, it was just so good, and i can't wait for the film to come out! But the bit i remember most is the very end of RotK because it was sad.

Oh, and Gollum...poor Gollum...
Old 05-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #10
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

The entire chapter on the Orcs “ The Uruk Hai” in TTT, on how they went about doing their stuff and roughing up their captive hobbits and how they fought among themselves and allowed the hobbits to flee their captors. I keep visualising Grisnankh and how I would like to cut him down…heh! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: Cimmerian ]
Old 05-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

The entire "Grey Havens" scenario. (I guess that's more than a single scene, but I can cheat, can't I?)

What struck me most were all the references to Frodo's suffering, his dropping out of Shire affairs and the reference to how little honor he had in his own country, plus the actual parting between Frodo and Sam.

It's as if the characters are bidding farewell to us as well. Bilbo and Frodo sail to the West for healing and growth, the Hobbits return to the Shire so they may help in its restoration, and we, once again, are shut out of Middle Earth to stand on a distant shore. So much joy and sorrow! sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-02-2002, 10:32 AM   #12
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I guess one of the scenes which sticks with me is the battle of Helm's Deep and the competition between Legolas and Gimli. I just find it so amusing that they're counting how many orcs they've killed as they do it. I thought of another one too, but I can't think what it was now!
Old 05-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #13
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The scene with Frodo and Sam dragging themselves up Mt. Doom. So close, and yet so far. Sam would not allow Frodo to give up, encouraging him all the way, and finally actually carrying the worn-out Frodo for part of the way. That part always gets me, for Sam is so achingly loyal, and Frodo's spirit is so ravaged, yet they stay with each other and end up saving the world. Wow.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:25 PM   #14
Siiw

Sting

One of the scenes which made the strongest impression on me, was Gollum finding Frodo and Sam asleep on their way to Mordor. The sight of the sleeping hobbits made his good side take over for a short while, but Sam totally misunderstood his actions. (Excuse my English. I'm Norwegian)
Old 05-02-2002, 05:33 PM   #15
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scene with the biggest impression on me is Arwen willing to lose her immortality to marry Aragorn.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:27 AM   #16
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lomelinde, I agree with you that that scene is incredible...it is so sad, but beautiful,because they are helping eachother even though they are in pain and do not think they will be able to do it!!
And Ii, there is nothing wrong with your English!! I also love that scene...I just hope Peter Jackson puts the scene in! (not just Gollum finding them asleep, but Frodo sleeping in Sam's lap...it is such a great scene...it is as if even in sleep Sam wants to protect Frodo.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:26 AM   #17
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another scene that made impression on me is in the Mirror of Galadriel, when Sam sees the Gaffer walking down Bagshot Row and knows that something is wrong in the Shire. Then Galadriel let's him make the choice Frodo or the Gaffer, but she counsels him towards Frodo.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #18
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to agree with you all...all those scenes mentioned make very big impression on me. I don´t have one fave scene, but many...
They make me breath faster, make me cry, make me feel pained, etc etc...
There are probably many forgotten that I absolutely love, but oh well, let´s say the whole books make big impression on me!? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:10 PM   #19
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ii, that's my favorite scene, too. Suddenly I felt so sorry for Gollum, and it opened up such possibilities-- Gollum could have been recovered from the ring and turned back into a real hobbit, instead of the dried-up monster he'd become. Then Sam --my favorite character! --accidently crushes all Gollum's better feelings. AAAA!
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 10:34 PM   #20
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

What has stuck with me most is Gandalf's struggle. Both with the Balrog when it happened and when everyone was grieving for him and then we he returned as Gandalf the White. Tragic yet overcoming in the end, classic combination. Second would have to be the hunt after Merry and Pippin. Very moving how the remnant of the Company worked so relentlessly to get them back.
Of course next time I read through the books another scene might jump out at me. They're full of great scenes.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 10:41 PM   #21
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This may be an odd favorite, but it's the scene in which Treebeard explains to Merry and Pippin about his name. He tells them that as ents get older and older their names get longer and longer because everything they are is contained in their name. I think that's just wonderful and have never forgotten it.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:50 AM   #22
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The only scene that made me cry was the end of the book, when Bilbo and Frodo went east.
It was a sad and happy ending at the same time.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:50 AM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The most heart-wrenching scene for me was when the Captains of the West were surrounded by the army from Mordor. Pippin fells a troll and then closes his eyes and waits for death. That ended Book 5 and I had tears in my eyes thinking that Pippin (and likely everyone else) was dead.

The most amazing scene for me was on Pellenor fields. Eomer finds Theoden dead and Eowyn on the verge of death and then has to carry on, stunned and grim.
He recites some poetry and waits for the Black ships to come. He then discovers that Aragorn is in the ships and the Rohirrim and Minas Tirith explode in delight.

Beautiful writing.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:02 PM   #24
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

My biggest impression was the death of Aragorn in the Apendex. It was so sad, yet satisfying. He didn't have to suffer or wither away. He lived a full life and passed on with grace. It still makes me sad, knowing that he died, but he died after doing so much good.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #25
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
When Pippin is crushed, and almost killed, by the cave troll. I often find myself thinking about that at odd moments durning the day. Still cry when I read it, it's not like the ending can cahnge adn he'll die is it?
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 07:03 PM   #26
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, it would have to be either Merry stumbling around and meeting Pippin in Minas Tirith after stabbing the Wraith or at the end of the book when Frodo leaves and everyone is crying, I start to cry too! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2002, 09:07 PM   #27
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

JRR Tolkien possesses a writing style that is so simple and sensitive. His characters are easy to love because they have such dignity and perseverance and discipline. When Eomer could've just let his sword fall and given in to utter despair when the corsair ships came in, he didn't. He fought on. It's quiet little moments like that when you can feel the character breathing and can sense his/her humanity and hope, or lack thereof that make Tolkien's works so eternal and universal.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:10 AM   #28
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There's so many great moments that I hold close to my heart, but I guess one of the most poignant ones is in my signature when Gandalf and Frodo are in Moria. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:49 AM   #29
finhobit

Sting

In Moria, when the Balrog have battle with Gandalf was so exciting part in the first book...
Old 05-08-2002, 08:31 AM   #30
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it was the grey havens for me too. all of lotr was distilled for me in that one single paragraph of frodo telling sam "that it is so; when the land is in danger, one has to give it up, lose it, so that others may keep it." frodo's simple words describe what is arguably the greatest sacrifice in the entire trilogy. the rest of the fellowship (even boromir, in a sense) had come home to even greater glory--not so the one hurt the most!

it is the essence of pure sacrifice --THAT killed me!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #31
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mae govannen!
I`m new here und I`ve just read all the contributions to this theme. Well, it leaves me speechless !!So many people all over the world are feeling just the same as I do!The scenes that moved me most deeply are the ones in "the choices of master Samwise" and "the tower of Cirith Ungol". Midgardsormen has already written exactly what I wanted to say about this scenes. Anyway, Sam`s faithful and devoted love for Frodo is for me one of the most touching things. No other character reveals his feelings , thoughts and inner debates so much to the reader as Sam does, therefore I can really share his emotions.
Isn`t it a strange phenomenon that this book, written more than half a century ago still rouses so much emotion and keeps on fascinating millions of people all over the world? Tolkien was a superb storyteller, when you enter his secondary world, everything he relates is true, it has "the inner consistency of reality" as Tolkien himself stated in his essay "on Fairy-stories". There I also found another interesting statement. "It is the mark of the good fairy-story, of the higher or more complete kind, that, however wild it`s events, however fantastic or terrible the adventures, it can give to child or man that hears it, when the "turn" comes, a catch of the breath, a beat and lifting of the heart, near to (or indeed accompanied by) tears, as keen as that given by any form of literary art, and having a peculiar quality."
Well, then I don`t have to be ashamed of the tears that rise in my eyes at the above stated scenes and at the departure at the Grey Havens !!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:29 PM   #32
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the part where Aragorn talks to the hobbits at the Prancing Pony. He tries to convince them without mentioning Gandalf. This puzzled me at first, until a book explained it to me. Aragorn's travels had made him a lonely man, and to get his true love he needed to be King of two countries. Not excactly an easy task. He wanted friends, like any other, and not because he knew Gandalf, but because he was himself. And the story of Aragorn and Arwen is very moving. I felt so sorry for him, whenever he had to make a hard decision, like wether to follow Frodo and Sam to Mordor or to go rescue Merry and Pippin. And I felt happy, whenever something good happened to him, or just if someone thought or said something nice of him. Aragorn is misunderstood by the people in Bree, and I am happy that they in the end reckonized his effort to keep Bree safe from evil creatures.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:21 PM   #33
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

This may seem stupid, but my fave scene is when the Riders of Rohan plus Gandalf the White and the remaining members of the company ride up to the gates of Isenguard and Merry and Pippin are there, sitting and smoking and eating! It made me cry, just because it was so emotional that after the hunt and thinking that the Hobbits were dead they all got to meet up again. The only ones missing were Frodo and Sam...
Old 05-20-2002, 01:02 AM   #34
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Just thought of another favorite part of the book - when Aragorn rides the Paths of the Dead and calls them to service.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:01 PM   #35
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"...he was young, and he was King, the Lord of a fell people." Regarding Eomor on the Pelennor Fields after discovering the death of Theoden. I love that part - the Rohirrim take up arms to avenge their King, desperately fighting beyond hope, the black ships of the enemy approaching..., but alas it is Aragorn and the Rohirrim burst into song, "and they slew as they sang" (or maybe that was the other way around). Also, I love the scene at the Grey Havens - so sad.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:47 PM   #36
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I have a bunch of favorites, but one of them that stuck with me was the end of the two towers. I mean Frodo was captured and Sam felt all guilty. I couldn't think of anything else for weeks.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:01 PM   #37
Luineglin
Haunting Spirit

Luineglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i must say that my favorite is when gandalf stands alone on the bridge. It gives me a picture of a lone figure standing up against evil and falling yet taking evil with him that strikes me in some odd fashion. Dont know why just does
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
Bilbo Baggins Describing Aragorn Son of Arathorn Heir of Elendil,Elessar-Elfstone of his people
Luineglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:05 PM   #38
Melkor

Tolkien

I like the part with shellub. and tom bombadill. I like the parts that hint at the first ages of midle earth.

I didnt cry at the ROTK but I came close.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:12 PM   #39
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

My fav scene was in Lorien, when Frodo and Haldir were looking out to the land of Lorien from Cerin AMroth. The scenery, as I imagined it, was so breathtaking and the colors so vivid, it almost made me think I was there.

Another favortie is at the feast in Rivendell when Tolkien was describing Elrond and Arwen. It portrayed to my mind the splendour of Elves.

Tolkien's writing style makes one imagine the scenes for themselves, making it almost impossible to put into film. There's a hill near my house with a very large tree on it, and that's how I imagine Cerin Amroth now. Jackson can never really trully achieve the beauty and masterpiece which Tolkien had put into words.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:35 PM   #40
Kidd2323
Animated Skeleton

Kidd2323 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While this is a little off topic, I think one of the most unexpected-yet truly most remarkable-scenes was when when the Witch King of Angmar cried out in pain because Merry, "a worm in the mud," pierced the dead flesh of the fell servant of Sauron, enabling Eowyn to defeat her foe. I almost jumped for joy when I read that one of the meddlesome, good-for-naught hobbits stepped into the role of hero. Gandalf's foresight was definitley well rewarded as well as our delight in seeing Merry's loyalty rewarded.

And wasn't it heartwrenching to hear Merry cry out, "A king's man! A king's man!" Were I present at the Pelennor Fields I would have paid to be one of the men that carried Merry and Eowyn in honor from the battlefield.