The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #2161
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
It soon became apparent that this was not a metaphor.
That was the best part!

I love how those bullets just ricochet off of Miss Collins.

In other news,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Soap! But that would imply that Formy occasionally bathes or showers--or at least rinses a little! What preposterous nonsense! I know all there is to know about Formy and more, and I assure y---
And Formy wouldn't bathe otherwise?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #2162
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Hmm, just noticed all the gross gooey stuff all over the floor of Collins' office, how strange.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #2163
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Hmm, just noticed all the gross gooey stuff all over the floor of Collins' office, how strange.
It's from the graph. You can see it leaking in previous episodes.
There's often something odd going on in the background and it's nice to look out for it.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #2164
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë
I had no idea I had such strong opinions on the matter. Or such a filthy mouth! Have you been eavesdropping in to my conversations with TGEW about university fees? That's what I reserve my choicest words for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
Yes, you can see it's been slowly spreading for about the last twenty strips.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #2165
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Not knowing the bubbly honours that await him, Formy wonders what he'll do.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien in these confusing and silly stories I'm weaving around, you can look back though the...

Monday sees an epic chase between Lommy and Peter. Who will win? Well, just wait and find out.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #2166
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Anyone who does not believe in soap has got to be pretty darn smelly. That's all I can say.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #2167
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Er...

Excuse my cheek, but what has belief to do with bathing? One can use soap all right without actually worshipping it...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #2168
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
Excuse my cheek, but what has belief to do with bathing? One can use soap all right without actually worshipping it...
I'm not entirely sure Alien understands this subtlety.

Now Peter must drive for his life. If Lommy catches him, who knows what will happen?

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien in these confusing and silly stories I'm weaving around, you can look back though the...

We'll catch up with Formy and his life on Thursday. Will he ever find out he's the new Soap Pope?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #2169
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion View Post
If I may interject my cheek--why need belief in something lead to worship? I mean, I believe that bagels exist, but I don't worship them--I don't even particularly like them.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #2170
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Anyone who does not believe in soap has got to be pretty darn smelly. That's all I can say.
I think that actually fits Alien pretty well, doesn't it? Or at least I always had that impression (that does not substract anything from the fact that he is cute, though Well, though it is true we don't have to smell the newspaper yet...).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #2171
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
What! Are all your journalists cockneys or something? Really, the decline in the standard of the news this week is utterly depressing.

It was "Stand at ease, Ghosties" I said, which of course explains the alleged lack of organisation or preparedness amongst the Conspirators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Well, though it is true we don't have to smell the newspaper yet...).
Don't give The Editor ideas. Next Oxonmoot we might get our P & A cartoons on scented paper--and it might be doubtful if it would be athelas we'll be smelling.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2172
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I will go to prison for this, even if I die in the attempt. Does anyone think it's silly to think that way, if so, will you join in my attempt to dig my way in using only teaspoons.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #2173
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Now we take a look at how Formy is doing in his lonely life.

Looks like things could be on the up for him!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Now, this was the 50th episode of volume 3. Because I'm not binding myself to a limited number (like the last two), I didn't make this a special episode. (Though, any episode with Formy is always special... Isn't it?) But I can't let it go without something. SO... I'VE MADE A MID-SEASON TRAILER FOR YOU ALL!
There are some surprises in store...

PHALILIAN RESURRECTION!

Took me the best part of today to put together. So I hope you enjoy it.
There's no major spoilers, but some teasers and bits and bobs.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #2174
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm quite cool.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #2175
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm quite cool.
Hope you like the Penguin helmet.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #2176
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Hope you like the Penguin helmet.
Do you happen to know where I could get one for real?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2177
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's time to get your fact hats on and press the 'intake' button, because here comes a veritable Sunday dinner of hard hitting and undeniable truth!

I'm sure tp knew something like this was coming...

Now we move on to the Phantom and Alien and their wonderful adventures. Today, John Fillis has a break through!

Some of you may have already spotted this, but I made two little things on Facebook for P&A. First there's a poll for you to vote on who your favourite character is, and second a little quiz to see Which Phantom and Alien Character Could You Potentially Be? Hope you have fun with them.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #2178
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Wow, I've made it into the Downer! Thank you, Hookbill, I'm honoured!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #2179
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Hey, why all the fuzz? How would you try out a fire resistant boat?

I'm confused why the authorities wish to put their noses on such minor things...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #2180
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's Thursday, so it's time for another dose of Phalian!!

So, Peter Hampton is heading out into the Desert! Will he survive? Will he have time for lunch? What about his unexpected passenger (who I hope looks familiar to you)? Oh my!
On Monday Fomry finds himself in a very Soapy situation!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #2181
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Wow, I've made it into the Downer! Thank you, Hookbill, I'm honoured!
The only honour higher than that is to be a character in P&A!

Eeek! Into the desert? I wasn't expecting THAT to happen! But I'm afraid I cannot place Peter's new 'friend'. I'll just have to wait and find out.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #2182
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Eeek! Into the desert? I wasn't expecting THAT to happen! But I'm afraid I cannot place Peter's new 'friend'. I'll just have to wait and find out.
You'll have to go way, WAAAYYY back to episode three of this season.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #2183
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
You'll have to go way, WAAAYYY back to episode three of this season.
Oh yes, I remember her from that. I thought you meant she was a Barrow-Downer you were introducing as a new character. Might still be though, I like her style. She seems to be the only sane person in the entire city and thus must be a truly formidable person indeed.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #2184
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Get your face ready to be pummelled with pure FACTS! It's news time!

Gosh. Speaking of Formy, looks like his dreams of Soapy glory are coming true...

On Thursday it's Alien time! What adventures will that little scamp get up to? Whatever it is, it can't be good, so hide your valuables and book an appointment with your doctor.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #2185
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This episode of P&A just raises more questions!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #2186
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
This episode of P&A just raises more questions!
You thought THAT one was weird, wait until you see today's episode!!

It'll all make sense one day... Or not. Considering this is Alien we're talking about, it will probably NEVER make sense. Oh well. You're used to that now, right?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #2187
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
hehe, I love that so much.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #2188
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

This is exactly why Alien should never be allowed near the name changing office. Who knows who else has had their name changed by him? Things could get very confusing, very quickly.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #2189
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf A question...

Hookie, did you perchance draw inspiration for the Old Woman of the Sea from me?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #2190
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Hookie, did you perchance draw inspiration for the Old Woman of the Sea from me?
Haha! Why? Do you live under the sea?
I just asked Josh to 'draw the old woman of the sea, who looks a bit like Alien's costume, only a bit different.' and that's what he came up with. But now that you mention it, she does look a bit like... Um... Never mind.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #2191
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I just asked Josh to 'draw the old woman of the sea, who looks a bit like Alien's costume, only a bit different.' and that's what he came up with.

Sooooo...are we looking at another member of Alien's extended family, or does this new nightmare just resemble Alien in Father Formy's fevered imagination?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #2192
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Sooooo...are we looking at another member of Alien's extended family, or does this new nightmare just resemble Alien in Father Formy's fevered imagination?
Interesting thought. Who knows what lurks in Alien's strange and terrible family history?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #2193
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Dogs to replace notes as national currency for the next seven hours
But they are worth so little on today's market! I will have to sell my neighbour's entire collection to buy more beef!

Good newspaper by the way, though I am a little late in saying so.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 12-06-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Had to adjust my hat, was not at a jaunty angle.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #2194
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles nearly forgot their existence.

Quote:
Good newspaper by the way, though I am a little late in saying so.
Agreed. I Loved the plot development in P & A as well. Oh, and the headlines were punny too.

Last edited by Morai; 12-06-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: It's amazing how one letter can change a fragment into a complete sentece....
Morai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #2195
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Haha! Why? Do you live under the sea?
Interestingly enough, a certain Downer once named me a Sea Hag. I think our resemblance is clear enough even though I don't wear nail polish.
(For the record, do you think anybody but Legate could have taken such a flattering photo?)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #2196
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

You all knew it would happen eventually...

And now the epic adventure takes a turn for the... strange...

Wooh! I don't know if you've noticed, but I always leave the titles of upcoming episodes on the website, just as teasers. If you have, then you'll know that this story line, 'The Desert' is three parts, followed by another three parter, 'New Management'. There aren't that many multi-part bits in this volume, but they're always important plot points. With one exception, actually, later on which was due to a mix up.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #2197
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The headlines this were almost as cloudy as the weather outside right now!

And they should know by now, they need 84 buses to carry Miss Collins's lunch.

Last edited by Eönwë; 12-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #2198
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
And they should know by now, they need 84 buses to carry Miss Collins's lunch.
Looks like Lommy will have to sit on top of the bus instead; that way they might just have enough room.
But don't forget, Alien is at Bus HQ now, so he'll probably eat (or possibly burn) all the food before it gets to her anyway.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #2199
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
[QUOTE=Aganzir;618399]Interestingly enough, a certain Downer once named me a Sea Hag. I think our resemblance is clear enough even though I don't wear nail polish.
[QUOTE]

Whoever was that person, I question their judgement. I see no comparison between the two:

1. The sea hag is green and wrinkly. You are not.
2. The sea hag has a perm, which is obviously a wig.
3. The sea hag has an expression that looks like she can eat anything within her reach. You have a deep concentration on someone (or something) that looks like you want to hit with lightning bolts out of your hands.

The similarities are the water, the nails, and I might give you a similar hair color. I imagine your hair could have a silver-ish looking tone depending upon the day and lighting. But it is a nice elvish-silver, not the formerly white washcloth that was used so much it has an off-white/dirty grey color such as the sea hag's hair.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #2200
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Interestingly enough, a certain Downer once named me a Sea Hag. I think our resemblance is clear enough
Do you ever find yourself chuckling evilly to yourself while writing letters?