Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2002, 11:04 AM   #81
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Relief mixed with anger and concern, causing Mithadan to ignore Piosenniel's request. While his love for her vied with his outrage for control of his tongue, Cami rushed forward and snatched the cloak from his hands and wrapped it around the Elf. This broke the spell; the tension spilled from his shoulders taking with it his anger, and relief won the day. If Piosenniel expected a tongue-lashing, she was surprised.

He stood and warmed her in his arms, pressing his cheek against hers. "Must you always run off like this?" he asked quietly. "Must the proud Elf never ask for or accept the aid of others? I am sure you had your reasons and I'm sure they were good, but you are only one among many of our crew. We are all seeking to complete our task, not you alone."

He handed her the bundle of clothing and turned to go below. After a few steps, he looked over his shoulder. "Are you coming along? You should have some hot tea and breakfast."
Old 09-26-2002, 12:50 PM   #82
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Relief flooded through her at his words and actions. She walked with him as far as the gangway, then excused herself to go to her cabin and change clothes.

'He's right, you know.' she said to her reflection in the small mirror as she towelled her hair. 'You're not the only one on board with concerns about what might happen. Nor are you the only one who can make it happen.'

She pulled at the tangles in her hair with a comb. Perhaps she could put Ancalimon in the foreward ship and she could stay on the Star alongside Veritas. A viable option, but it irked her not to be in the midst of action.

And then there was the problem of Mithadan. It was difficult, learning to consider things in terms of being a 'couple'. True, she had learned the lessons of patience and wisdom in the Halls, but it proved harder work to translate these lessons into action. Old inclinations warred with newer insights as she pulled on warm, dry clothes.

Her thoughts tenuously resolved, she drew herself up and stretched to relieve the tension and tiredness of her body.

Almost to the galley, she met Cami just coming from it. Her old friend looked at her and opened her mouth to speak. 'Let me speak with him first.' she said, cutting off the hobbit before she could utter a word. 'Then later, come to me and we will speak.'

Mithadan sat at ease, reading from some book and glancing often at the door. She smiled at the sight of him, and went to sit with him. He had fixed her a bowl of porridge sprinkled with dried fruits and honey. A cup of strong, hot tea stood beside it. 'Thank you!' she said, touching him on the shoulder as she sat down.

They made small talk as he watched her eat. She told him of her talk with Levanto, his promise to watch the coastal waters for any signs of increased patrols and the river, also. Her last spoonful half-way to her mouth, she noticed him watching her with narrowed eyes.

'That wasn't all you spoke of, was it?' he asked gently. 'What trouble lies beneath the surface of these other concerns? Surely not that he and I would be at odds somehow?'

She lowered the spoon back to the bowl. 'No, not that Mithadan. That has been resolved, and concerns me no longer.' He waited patiently, saying nothing, for her to make the decision to clear the air of any remaining secrets. He would not press her, she must come to him willingly. She saw this, and made her decision.

Pio took his hand and led him to the deck, to a place in the fresh, clear air that afforded them some privacy. They stood close together at the railing, watching the waves rise and curl. Then she turned to him and sighed. 'There is something else which lies at the base of my concerns of late. Though, I would not call it a "trouble". I only wish that it had come for us in less shadowed times.'

His brow furrowed, and he looked at her with concern, fearing what she might tell him. 'Speak, then, to me.' he said, his voice low. He took her hand in his. 'Let me share the burden.'

She brought his hand against the flat of her belly, and opened her mind briefly to him, letting him feel the energies that sought his.

A look of great wonder and astonished joy filled his face. A light shone in his eyes. He bent to kiss her as she broke the contact.

'A child! You bear my child!' he said, laughing.

'Our children, Mithadan,' she corrected him, placing his hand once again upon her, letting him sense the already curious energies.

'A son!' he smiled. 'And a daughter!' He laughed, feeling his daughter's energy fight to be first in his mind. 'And a spirited one, if I have the right of it!'

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-26-2002, 12:53 PM   #83
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Cami left the galley after breakfast, she was thinking about Piosenniel and how she might persuade her friend to take better care of herself. Then she caught a glimpse of Kali and Daisy wandering about the corridor hand-in-hand. Coming even with the pair, she nodded a brief good morning, only to have the two shyly part.

Secrets! Wherever Cami turned, she encountered yet another secret curiously concealed within the Star. So many things in life appeared perfectly flat and transparent in the bright light of day. Yet, when they were encountered in the shadows of evening, a sudden and unexpected flame darted forth.

Piosenniel's behavior and the wise woman's probing question certainly fell within that category. Stranger still was the presence of the hobbrim on the Star, the "hidden hobbits" whom Andreth had so curiously described. Yet, of all these wonders seen in Arda, none seemed more puzzling to Cami than how Angara was responding to the hobbrim.

It would not be correct to state that the wyrm totally transformed her personality overnight. She continued to moan at length about Mithadan's supposed deficiencies, and 'borrowed' great piles of Cami's books with little intention of returning them. When her duties with the hobbrim ended by late afternoon, she lay indolently draped over the masthead, studiously ignoring everyone's cries for help with shipboard duties.

Still, the Angara who turned up in the morning to supervise the youngsters in their chores did seem like a different beast. On one occasion, Cami stumbled upon her rocking a small baby in a cradle. She and the hobbrim mother had improvised the contraption out of an old wicker basket with cords attached to the upper beams of the hull. Another time, Cami glimpsed Angara offering dragon-back rides to the children, flying slowly in circles around the ship. Cami quickly put an end to this activity, reminding the wyrm that she still lay under the watchful gaze of Gorthaur.

Cami hated to admit it, but she was becoming increasingly suspicious over this blossoming of maternal instincts in one who'd never shone the slightest indication of it before. She decided to wait until Ancalimon took the helm later that day and ask him about the wyrm's behavior.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-26-2002, 02:37 PM   #84
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Piosenniel and Mithadan held each other close for a long while. Words seemed unnecessary; they were satisfied to be close to one another in the summer sun. But soon, after several members of the crew walked by with faint smiles on their faces (and several giggling Hobbrim as well) they recalled that their task was not yet done and reluctantly parted.

Piosenniel returned below decks to seek out Cami, but Mithadan remained above, standing by the rail with the wind blowing through his hair. He wore a smile that could not be erased no matter the gravity of the matters at hand. He awoke from his reverie at a pull upon the cuff of his breeches. Looking down, he saw a young Hobbrim looking at him with bright eyes. "Please, sir, are you and the Lady Piosenniel married?"

There was a stinging in his eyes and a lump in his throat. He felt as if he could fly higher than Angara. When he could speak, he smiled at the little one and said, "Yes, we are, little one."

To the surprise of the Hobbrim, he spun about and ran down the gangway as quickly as his sore ankle would bear him. In his cabin, he retrieved a small wooden box filled with various items which he had saved during the course of his life. He drew out an unadorned ring of gold which had belonged to his mother long ago, before she had died of a sudden illness in his childhood. He stared at it for a moment, then placed it in his pocket. You would have liked her, Mother.

Then he left his cabin.....

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-27-2002, 02:37 AM   #85
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Ancalimon regarded her with an amused smile. She had gone looking for Cami, and not being able to find her, had asked him if he had seen her. 'No.' he said. 'But I did see you at the railing with Mithadan.'

His face grew serious then. 'I also sensed that which you shared with him. Do you think that was wise, considering where we are and who might be listening?'

'Don't be such a storm-crow!' she chided him, smiling. 'It was only for a brief moment. Surely nothing ill can come of it.'

She saw that he did not return her smile, and her brow furrowed, now, with worry. 'Surely you cannot think something as small as this would draw his attention from other, more pressing matters?'

'I hope that it is nothing to him.' he said, his gaze turning toward the north. 'But I cannot be certain. He ranges far and wide in his seeking, that I can sense. You must be more careful, Piosenniel.'

A certain dread came over her at his words, and she trembled, though the summer sun was warm and bright. 'I have foolishly brought danger to us!' she thought to herself, her mind racing amid dark possibilities.

A small hobbrim pulled at his robes, and Ancalimon bent down to speak with him, turning his attention from her.

She went below deck and hurried to her room. Pulling the door shut behind her, she sat on her bed, looking hard into the shadows, and considered the problem in all it's variations.

The luxury of such a space of time to herself was not to be hers today, though. Soon a knock came at ther door, and Daisy's voice could be heard. 'Pio?! 'Can you please come up to the deck? Veritas is in need of your assistance.'

'Thank you, Daisy!' she said as she left her cabin. She put a small smile on her face for the benefit of the hobbit, and followed her up the stairs.

Old 09-27-2002, 07:17 AM   #86
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

This thread is closed temporarily for character and plot adjustments.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #87
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

OK, open for business. Nothing to see here. Carry on.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:57 AM   #88
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Levanto sent the dolphins to look for the ships. Two to go east, along the coastline, and two to go west. They would go as far as the tips of each southern peninsula, near in to shore, then pull out to sea and do a return sweep to the area of the bay near mouths of the Siril. He would go upriver to check for any increased patrols.

What he found, alarmed him. There was a single small ship, black bannered, at anchor, halfway up the river, near the main dock for export of goods. It appeared lightly armed, though his vantage point from the shady river bank did not afford a view of what was hidden on the deck. He counted five people on board, all with blades.

He swam farther up the river, almost to the caves, but saw no more ships. At this he was relieved. Then swiftly he swam back down the Siril and out to sea to meet with the dolphins.

'Two!' they cried. 'Two ships, close in, along the shore.' They raised up on their tail fins, chattering at him. 'One goes toward the rising sun and then returns. The other toward the setting sun, and then returns. Back and forth they go, or so say our cousins who swim these waters.' He bowed to them, and thanked them for their help. They turned their smiling faces to him, then slapped the water hard with their tails and dove deep beneath the waves.

He, too, dove beneath the water's surface, and swam for the Star. The thought of Pio and what she had told him, drove him on. He thought long and hard about his promise to keep her secret. It was an ill-made pledge he now realized. He would talk to Mithadan when he arrived.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:24 AM   #89
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose leaned on the rail and looked out on the waters. If she had knew nothing of what was beyond the coastline she would have never suspected any evil. For however close it was for now it didn't seem to have an effect on the Lonely Star. Rose was at peace.

As Rose stared at the waves she thought she saw something. She rubbed her eyes to bring herself out of her daydreams and looked again. Yes, there had been somthing in the water. It was Levento coming toward the ship.

As he reached it Rose called down to him. "Wait there. I'll fetch Pio for you." She turned but was called back by the mer-man.

"No. Wait, Get Mithadan instead. I want to speak to him alone first." Confused, Rose asked why. "Just go get him little hobbit." So Rose ran down to where Mithadan sat in his quarters.

"Mith. Levento's here and he wants to talk with you. Just you."
Old 09-28-2002, 10:15 AM   #90
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami had just finished her lessons with two hobbrim boys, teaching them how to add up long lines of seashells. She was rocking a baby in the crook of her arm, when she spied a glimpse of Piosenniel. As usual, the Elf was darting about here and there, trying to finish a lengthy list of tasks in the shortest possible time. Cami had earlier managed to speak briefly with Piosenniel, just enough to confirm that her suspicions regarding the Elf were true.

For one fleeting moment, gazing over towards Pio, Cami poignantly reflected that she was unlikely to see the children born of this union, let alone have the chance to watch them thrive and grow. For it seemed that, whatever positive choices you made in life, you had to leave so many other good things behind.

Then, she looked at the Elf more closely. Piosenniel's outward expression radiated happiness, yet her eyes looked troubled and mirrored untold depths of weariness. Cami remembered that Pio had spent most of the night swimming in the seas. She had returned to the ship without bothering to rest, and despite her words to Mithadan, had eaten but a few crumbs. At this realization, the hobbit entrusted her small bundle to Daisy and grabbed Piosenniel by the wrist, physically wrenching her from the deck and pulling her along towards the cabin.

"You're coming with me now. I said, right now!", the small hobbit insisted.

Once inside Pio's old cabin, Cami slammed the door and glared at her friend. "By all that is sacred in Arda, what were you thinking of? You have been given a gift, a wonderful and precious gift. You have the man you love standing beside you, and you carry life within your body, the children of this union. However long, it may have taken you to find this joy, it has come to you now. And how many others would give everything they have to be in your situation?" The words came wrenching out of Cami's mouth, perhaps more than she'd meant to say.

She turned about gruffly and went on, "Now I'm not one to say a woman with child has to lay in bed and sleep away the day. But you do have to take care of yourself and your family. And driving yourself to exhaustion and starvation, for whatever reason, is a betrayal of that trust."

As Pio opened her mouth to respond, Cami sharply interjected, "No, Piosenniel, daughter of Holly, I am not finished! There are others on board who can do some of these things you're so worried about. Sometimes I think you don't trust us. I will say to you what I told Mith in Gondolin. Whatever our light-hearted ways or short stature, hobbits are not children. We, along with the others on this ship, are perfectly capable of taking on a few more duties, especially if you let the crew know what is going on. And I do hope you've spoken with the father-to-be!"

"One last thing," Cami added, I've been worried about Bird and what is going to happen to her after this quest ends. And, here, you may have the perfect answer. If you do not get down on your hands and knees and beg her to join your family to help with the rearing of these children, then you are a greater fool that I took you to be. For with a father like Mithadan and a mother like Piosenniel, I fear these little ones will indeed need some plain common sense and good laughter which Bird possesses in abundance."

She stared at the Elf, awaiting her reply.

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #91
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio covered her face with her hands and sat down hard on the bed, her shoulders shook. Cami, concerned, that she had pushed her friend over the ragged edge she balanced on, came close, thinking to comfort her as she cried.

But Pio's reaction, was not what she expected. The insufferable Elf was laughing! She had fallen backwards now on the bed, howling in laughter, tears streaming down her cheeks. The hobbit stood there, looking at the hysterical Elf before her, and shook her head.

A few moments later, Pio collected her wits and sat up to face her friend. She wiped the tears from her face, saying, 'Thank you!' The elf sighed deeply, a long luxuriant sigh as she felt the tension of the past days leave her body. She stretched, pushing the last of it from her shoulders. Pio took Cami's hand and drew her down to sit next to her on the bed.

'I really do mean that "thank-you"', she said seriously. 'These past few days have found me trying to knot too many ends together, and your plain speech has brought me to my senses. Or such senses as this poor Elf might have' Her eyes twinkled, and a laugh of genuine relief came from her. 'I have long been accustomed to proceeding as I think best, to keeping my own counsel.' she went on again in a serious tone. 'And even after the lessons of Gondolin, I have found it hard not to take action as I see fit.' She glanced away from her friend, as memories of that time came back to her.

'I cannot do that anymore! There is not enough of me to handle everything. I am stretched too thin.' She put her forehead to Cami's and closing her eyes, said, quietly, 'Will you help me?'

Now it was Cami's turn to laugh, though a single tear escaped her. 'Of course, I will! We'll all help you. You have only to ask.'

'And who will school me to this asking? Old habits die hard for me, I have had them for so long now.' 'I will!', said Cami, 'as will the others as soon as I have spoken with them.' She looked closely at her friend. 'That is alright with you, isn't it? That I spread the word?' A look of concern crossed her face. 'You have informed the father, have you not?'

Pio laughed again. 'Yes, that is one thing I have managed to do right today! And yes, please let the others know. I don't relish the thought of getting up at dinner and making a general announcement of it!' She looked at her friend and chuckled. 'And about Bird, perhaps we had better broach this idea of yours gently to her. She may have other plans you know. Though, the idea of Auntie Birdie appeals to me greatly!'

They sat in silence for a while, relishing the comfort that close friendship brings. Cami stood up from the bed first. 'Let's go get you something proper to eat and drink, and then go on deck to enjoy the sun. We'll see how Ancalimon is getting on with the hobbrim children that swarm about him!'

A shadow passed over Pio's face and her brow furrowed at the mention of Ancalimon. 'Now what are you thinking?' asked Cami, noting the change in the Elf's demeanor. 'Tell me that I might help you.'

'It was something that Ancalimon spoke about with me, earlier in the day. I don't know how you can help me with it.'

'That is my decision, not yours, Pio. Now tell me.'

Pio told her of how she had let Mithadan 'know' his son and daughter when she had told him of them. How she thought that so brief a sensing of them would do no harm. But now she feared otherwise. Ancalimon had been conerned that the attention of Gorthaur might be drawn their way because of it. She put her hand protecively against her belly.

'It frightens me that he may come to sense them, and then us. And I cannot see what I might do about it.'

Old 09-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #92
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie walked by the cabin door at that moment, a string of young Hobbrim following her. She peaked in briefly, saying "What are you two doing sitting down here? It's a beautiful day topside." Then she continued with her "education" of her young charges.

"Now see, this is how Ancalimon created the 'dragon' that you all saw. At least I think it is. Now this is called 'saltpeter', and this is 'sulpher'. Coral, do you have the flint and steel, there? Good! Now, you mix the two together..."

Pio turned towards Cami: "Are you sure you don't want to rethink your suggestion about Birdie's future plans?"

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-28-2002, 05:28 PM   #93
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami looked over at Bird and laughed. She didn't answer the question directly, but retorted with an observation of her own. "I can see there is only one in this group with a shred of common sense. And, at least for today, I fear that title can go neither to the Elf or shapechanger. But perhaps, with time and patience, I may make something of you yet!"

"Bird, you need to linger with Pio a moment in her cabin. I believe she has some news for you."

Bird looked a bit puzzled as she watched the small hobbit take charge and ceremoniously guide her friend over to the chair and set her down with great authority.

"Stay there until I get back!" she ordered. "I'm going upstairs to find Ancalimon and Mithadan, and ask them to come to your cabin. I'll tell them my idea, and they can use their minds to sort it out and see if it's of any worth."

For she did indeed have an idea which might set her friend's mind at ease or, at the very worst, confirm exactly what they were up against. Cami knew little of Osanwe or the machinations of the Shadow, but she certainly knew something of hobbit stealth. And she remembered a rather important event in the Third Age. That time, the forces of goodness had called upon a hobbit's ability to slip through the shadows in silence and practice deception, even in the very heart of darkness. Perhaps their own situation, although humbler in origin, would need similar skills.

Cami thought how she would love to volunteer for such a task. In her mind, she pictured herself breaking into the hobbit tombs and slinking about to get the needed information. Then common sense interjected. If Nitir or Azra were to show up at the foot of Eru's Mount, their presence would not remain secret very long. No, it could not be her or Rose, however much they might like it.

As she stood in the doorway pondering, she saw Daisy race by with a packet of blankets in her hand. Cami looked at her retreating figure as she sprinted down the corridor. Daisy was young and bright and daring. She knew how to act as a servant and certainly had skills of deception, judging from how she'd first come aboard the Star and remained hidden for several days. But did she have the required sense of judgment and responsibility? It was certainly a risk.

Just as Cami was about to set out to find the men, she heard Bird mention to Pio, "I think Levanto returned, and he specifically asked to speak with Mithadan. The two may be together."

All color left Pio's face, as she struggled to throw off the shapechanger's hand and get up from the chair. Cami turned around and gave stern orders, "Bird, keep her in the cabin one way or the other, until I get back with the men!" Bird nodded. Cami had a wry image of her friend changing into a dragon and guarding the doorway with large blasts of flame. Whatever is needed, she thought!

"And you," she said, wagging her finger at the Elf, "had better remember your promise to me." Then the hobbit turned and disappeared.

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:51 AM   #94
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'So!' said Bird, plopping herself down on the desk, feet propped on the chair. 'What is going on? Cami orders me to keep you in the room like a prisoner, and you look as thrilled about it as a bowl of yesterday's fish stew.' She leaned back against the wall and waited for Pio to speak.

The Elf drew a deep breath. 'You're going to be an Aunt, my dear Bird. A little niece and a little nephew for you to teach all sorts of strange and interesting things to.'

'Really?!' said Bird, a puzzled look on her face. 'Who's pregnant?' Pio rolled her eyes. 'I am, O, Dense One!'

Regret and happiness warred for control of Bird's face, and happiness won. She bear hugged her friend and then stepped back to look at her fully. 'I'm glad for you. For both of you.' she said. 'I guess this really means you won't be sailing with me when this trip is over, will you?' Pio shook her head 'no'. 'Not this time , Bird.'

There was an awkward moment of silence between the two old friends. Then Bird shook her head and laughed. 'You and Mithadan! I would never have guessed that at the beginning of this venture. Mr. Rules-and Regulations and Miss Unruly-and-Unregulated!'

The sound of giggling just outside the closed door, and a chorus of 'SHHH!'s' caught their attention. Bird went quietly to to the door and yanked it open . A covey of young hobbrim came spilling in. 'Bird! Bird!' they cried. 'Come see what we've made! We want to go up on deck and fire it off!.' Bird herded them out the door. 'Well, seems like I have to be going now. Hmmm! I guess that means you'll have to guard yourself now.' She winked at the Elf and grinned. The hobbrim children pulled her out the door and pushed her toward the steps. 'Make sure you don't escape!' she yelled over her shoulder and then disappeared on to the deck.

Pio left her room and ran quickly up to the deck. she wanted to hear Levanto's report, and she was curious why he asked to speak with Mithadan, not her. She found them, heads close together, talking quietly. Mithadan sat in one of the skiffs moored to the ship, and Levanto rested his torso on the skiff's side.

'I'm coming down to you!' she shouted down to the pair. 'I wish to hear from you also, Levanto.' Pio climbed down the side ladder and then jumped for the skiff when she reached the last rung. She landed with a cat-like grace, and then sat down where she could watch both of them. 'Carry on!' she said, looking at both of them. 'I'm listening!'

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-29-2002, 12:59 PM   #95
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan was deep in conversation with Levanto when Piosenniel dropped to the deck of the skiff. The Mer-man had first advised of the methodical search being conducted on the West coast of the island. Then he turned to other matters.

"I have spoken with Pio," he said. "You have my congratulations and my envy. But you must know that she revealed mor to me. She is with child...children, I should say, twins. I feared she might not tell you..."

At that moment Piosenniel announced her presence. Mithadan, smiling broadly, stood and placed a hand to the hilt of his knife. "What's this? You say that I am not the father? Who then?"

Pio leaped between the two, and glared at the Mer-man. "Levanto!" she cried, accusingly. Levanto merely spluttered for a moment. Then he regained his composure. "I did not tell him that!" he retorted.

The Elf spun upon the Man. "Mith!". However, Mithadan had dissolved into hysterical laughter and howled uncontrollably...even after Piosenniel pushed him overboard into the waves.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:46 PM   #96
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She left the Man to the mercy of the water, and turned back to Levanto. 'I did not hear what you said of patrols. Will you tell it once again?' He told her then of what the dolphins had seen and how he had encountered a black bannered ship docked upriver.

'Were you able to visit the caverns to see if the guard patrols there had increased in any way?'

'No,' he said, 'It was too light still, and I dared not look about too much or make contact with the hobbits, for fear I might be seen.'

She sat in thought for a few moments. 'I . . . that is, we,' she looked at Mithadan, who had made his way back into the skiff, 'need to have that information. Would you do that for us? Rest tonight, and then make your way to speak with the hobbits?.

'Your wish is my command, sweet Lady!' He ducked as Mithadan chucked a strand of kelp at him. 'I'm well rested and will leave now. By tomorrow this time, I should have something to tell you.' 'Don't go as yet, Levanto.' she rejoined. 'I need to speak with Cami before you do. We may have something specific you need to relay to the hobbits.'

She stood, eyeing the sodden man, and threw her cloak about him. 'Come soon, and change those wet clothes! We cannot have a lame and coughing captain lead us in our mission. I fear it would strike no fear into our foe. Unless you mean for them to laugh themselves to death at the sight of you!' She squeezed his hand and smiled at him. 'I'm going up now to find Cami. There is a plan, I think, which may help us know what we stand against.' She grabbed for the ladder and started up the rungs.

'That plan . . . are you thinking of sharing it with me . . . before you put it into action?!' called Mithadan to her retreating figure. She made no answer, as she disappeared over the railing.

'Must not have heard you.' offered Levanto. He looked at Mithadan and grinned, shaking his head. 'Now that I think on it, Mithadan. I wonder that I should have ever thought of envying you.'

'And why is that?' asked Mithadan, standing to go aboard.

'It is one thing to love a creature so lovely and spirited from afar. And quite another to live with her!'

'Indeed!' said Mithadan, sighing. 'You have the right of it on that one!'

The clear voice of the Elf came down to them. 'I did hear you! Now come up and we will speak of it.'

The Mer-man and the man grinned at each other, like two boys caught in some guilty act. Laughing, Levanto dove beneath the waters to wait for instructions. Mithadan, dripping still, clambered aboard the Star.

While Mithadan changed, Pio searched for Cami. She had a vague idea for a plan that she wanted to discuss with her. It would involve one of the hobbits, and she wanted Cami's ideas on who might be well suited to it.

She found her on deck. Cami had been looking to speak with Mithadan about a plan of her own.

'Let's go up to the bow, where we might have some privacy.' said the Elf, taking her friend's arm. 'I'd like to hear of this plan of yours as mine is only half-formed if that, at the moment. My concern, though, is that we be able to get more information about what is going on in the prison. I fear that the guard may have been increased and suspicions aroused somehow.' They leaned against the railing and looked out toward the coast of Númenor. Pio told Cami all of what Levanto had said. The concern on the hobbit's face mirrored her own.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-29-2002, 02:56 PM   #97
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose had watched what had gone on in the skiff. She hadn't caught all of the conversation but could still understand what had just happened. As Pio climbed onto the deck Rose rushed over to her. She wanted to hear the plan too.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:49 PM   #98
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami had not been able to speak with Ancalimon or Mithadan earlier that day as she'd intended to do. The Man had been cornered with Levanto for some time. Moreover, she herself had been called away on several occasions to search out needed foodstuffs and supplies for the hobbrim.

As the Elf came over and pulled her towards the rail, Cami thought it might be wise to share her earlier thought. With the news from Levanto, their need for accurate and up-to-date information seemed even more critical than before. She briefly explained how Daisy might be brought up the secret waterway into the tombs. From her own experiences in Beleriand, several prisoners would be serving in the headquarters for the guards. Such positions tended to roll over quickly as they were among the least desirable, and in certain respects, the most dangerous of the prison assignments. Cami reminded Pio of Daisy's obvious skills with concealment and deception when she'd hid on the Star as well as her experience acting as a servant in the Took household.

Pio looked concerned. "Your plan seems too risky. If Daisy's found out, it could endanger her own life and the rescue itself. Could we use one of the hobbits already in the prison to gather infomation? At least, they'd be familiar with conditions, and have a better idea what risks were acceptable. And Daisy's so young." The Elf shook her head.

Cami thought a moment, "I don't see how an imprisoned hobbit would really understand what kind of information we'd need. Daisy knows enough about our plans to understand the type of details that might prove valuable. Plus, we can't risk sharing our strategy with one of the younger hobbits in the tombs. They might not realize the seriousness of the situation, and inadvertently blurt out something that could get us in trouble. And it's the younger ones who inevitably get assigned to work in headquarters at the simple menial tasks."

Pio thought a minute. "I wish there was another way. Let's share these ideas with Mithadan and Ancalimon, and see what they think. If they approve, we'll go ahead and meet with Levanto. If we're going to do this, we should be ready by nightfall."

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-30-2002, 01:09 PM   #99
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio sent Cami to look for Ancalimon and Mithadan, thinking she might have a quick word with Angara. She found her with little trouble among the hobbrim children. The Elf stood and watched her for a while, wondering what had brought on this show of gentleness and genuine delight which the dragon showed toward her charges.

Rose came for the children and shooed them off for a snack and rest. Pio approached Angara from behind, and tapped her on the tail with her boot. The wyrm's tail lashed dangerously across the deck, and the Elf jumped, just managing to avoid being knocked over. Angara turned to face her 'attacker'.

'You!' she huffed indignantly. 'You should know better than to sneak up on me!' She eyed Pio. 'And, by the way, do you realize that rumor is rife of your condition, among the hobbrim children. So much for your Elvish secrets!'

Pio laughed. 'I thought Cami would have told you by now that that is no longer a secret. Mithadan knows, and I see the hobbit/hobbrim network has spread the news well.' She sat down on the deck next to Angara. 'But I still need your assistance.'

'Yes?!' said the dragon, hesitantly, not liking the feel of this conversation.

'I haven't spoke with Mithadan as yet, but I plan to be in the first ship up the river. You know he is a cautious man, given to worry, and I'd like to allay those worries if I can.'

'And how is it that I should be involved in this decision? Shouldn't that just be between you and him?'

'It will be. I will present it to him soon. But I'd like you to speak with him, also.' She touched the dragon's neck. 'I want you to be on the boat with me, to fight at my side. Let him know that you will watch out for me, and free him up to take charge with one less worry.'

Angara laughed and regarded the Elf closely. 'You have become addle-brained! Just get on the boat! The old Pio would be there.'

'And so she would have!' she said, grinning.'And it may yet come to that. But will you do this for me?'

Reluctantly, the dragon agreed, saying she would await word from Pio that she had already broached the subject with Mithadan. Pio thanked her, and turned to go. The dragon called out to her. 'Must I be be civil when I speak with him, or shall I threaten him if he doesn't comply?'

'Civil, if you will! And, please, no further injuries to him!'
Old 09-30-2002, 03:20 PM   #100
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Reserved: Cami's discussion with Ancalimon re Angara; set up scene between Mith, Pio, and Ancalimon regarding Daisy.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:27 AM   #101
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami found Mithadan and Ancalimon sitting in the galley near mid-day. With all the hobbrim buzzing about, the galley seemed perpetually noisy. Rose had installed herself at the front doling out bowls of fish soup. Cami squeezed into a crowded table, wedging herself between the men. Their figures dwarfed her.

Once again, she laid out her idea of having Daisy go up the waterway on Bird's back to secure an assignment in the guards' headquarters. There, she'd hopefully hear or see something to benefit the Star. The shapechanger had already taken to the seas. She was swimming about in dolphin form, awaiting the command to proceed with Levanto. Cami assured Ancalimon she'd spoken with Daisy, and the girl was eager to go forward.

The two men asked questions, but offered little in response. They promised to meet with Pio soon to reach a final decision. From the hesitant look on Mithadan's face, Cami almost expected the answer to be no, but she wasn't certain.

As Mithadan left, he thanked her, "This situation isn't easy, and no plan we devise is without risk. But I need to make sure this one gives us our greatest chance of success." Cami nodded in acknowledgment.

---------------------------------------------

On the deck above, the sky beamed a bright blue with fluffy clouds, and the sun blazed down as if no shadows existed anywhere in Middle-earth. As far as Cami gazed, there were no other ships in sight. She lowered herself onto the wooden planks, her legs pulled tight to her chest, her arms encircling them. Ancalimon stood at the helm.

He glanced down at her and laughed, "I know that look, Andreth. What is it you need to know this time?"

And, within a moment, Cami had blurted out her suspicions of Angara and the strange maternal instincts she was showing.

Analimon looked at the hobbit and shook his head. "You don't trust her. I suppose you think you could do a better job with things. You find her tiresome and irritating."

Under her breath, Cami distinctly muttered, "I'm not the only one."

He turned and faced her with some irritation, "Perhaps, not. But, of all people, Cami, you should understand, since you do have something in common."

Cami looked up. She was frankly puzzled. How could she, a hobbit, have anything in common with the crotchety Angara who beamed down on the Star in such an imperious way? She said simply, "Please explain."

For a long time Ancalimon stood silent, as if he was uncertain what to say or even if he should speak. Then he continued, lowering his voice, "Have you met any other dragon who stubbornly refuses to follow in the path of her kin? Somehow, even with her pig-headed and frustrating manner, Angara has managed to stumble along in the path of goodness."

"She is unique, and alone, in all of Arda. Once there were others like her. These wyrms were not so different from your own people. For they had families and little ones and things they treasured. And just as your hobbits love well-stocked holes, with furniture and possessions neatly laid out, these dragons loved caves with a goodly amount of treasure. Not an unreasonable amount, just enough to keep them happy with glittering golden toys.

Then, a whiff of evil came into their lives. One-by-one, they traded in their toys for a greater share of gold and gems, until they became enchained by the hoard and could not resist its pull. And from this, it was a simple matter for Melkor to lead them astray."

"But what of Angara?" Cami pressed.

"Ah, Angara was a stubborn one, and she had her own idea of what a golden treasure meant. For she had two little ones, twins indeed, who were as golden and fair as the sun in the sky. And this was the only treasure that hard-headed Angara sought."

"But long ago, when the world was young, a great one approached the dragon and asked her to help guard the light of the trees. And Angara, though grumbling at the task, consented to do this for just one day. She left her little ones neatly hidden in the cave, or so she thought, and like you, Cami Goodchild, went off to take up her chore.

But, when she returned that night to her cave, her precious chidren lay lifeless on the ground, with the signs of Melkor all about. First, she raged and roared against the Valar for summoning her away. Then she awoke to her wits and swore an oath over her children's bodies, never to give fealty to the Dark One, even though she be the last true dragon left in Arda. And, now many ages later, she still holds that promise dear."

"I can understand why the hobbrim childen touch her heart, but how," puzzled Cami, "am I like her?"

"Ah, you don't see?" He looked steadily at her. "Cami, like yourself, Angara lost that which she held most dear trying to do what was right. Only, you are fortunte to have a loving people beside you, while Angara stands alone. So perhaps you may judge her less harshly next time."

Cami was silent when the story ended. She looked into Ancalimon's eyes, "Is there any way you could help her, so she wouldn't be so sad or angry ?"

He shook his head sadly. "The marring of Arda can not yet be undone. But, perhaps, there is some other way," he mused to himself. "Perhaps. We shall see."

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-01-2002, 05:23 AM   #102
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Cami's talk with Ancalimon ended Rose rushed over to her. "Oh Cami, please can I go with Daisy to the caves. I can use concealment and deception. I can.." but Cami held up her hand and Rose fell silent.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #103
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan stood watch on deck, surveying the horizon for any sign of a sail. None had been sighted since the day the Hobbrim had been brought aboard, yet he had no doubt that their good fortune would not last. When no sign of a dragon could be found in the West, the search would be extended to the south and east. He regretted bitterly his choice of using osanwe to respond to Angara's barbs. He also regretted his falling out with the dragon.

Could Angara be sent back out to the Western portion of the island to lure any searchers away? He was reluctant to place the wyrm at any further risk, yet he was uncomfortable waiting for the searchers to discover the Star. They had avoided, at best, some difficult questions and, at worst, a battle when Bird and the Hobbits had set the landing craft on fire.

And what of Cami's latest plan? He was loath to have Daisy play at being a spy. While she had grown in maturity, she was still just a girl and likely did not appreciate the danger involved. He sighed. What was it that so attracted Hobbits to what they called 'adventures', as if it were a game? Yet he could see no alternative at this point.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:03 PM   #104
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek arrived late as usual to the galley for his meal. Though Angara and Cami were doing wonderful jobs with the hobbrim, the Elf had his chores to do about the ship, made harder by the constant merriment and excitement of the hobbit children. He took a glance around, noticing everyone else was gone and sighed. A few hobbits were sitting around the table and talking away: of their lives, of their future, of their dreams and hopes. Khelek sat at a distance, listening.

Surprisingly, they seemed little affected by their captivity. The young were as rambunctious as you could expect, and seemed as well-off as hobbits in the Third of Fourth Age. Catching several poems that interested him, the Elf began writing again in his journal, pausing every few minutes for a quick bite and a drink.

Amazing what you could learn from the innocence of hobbits.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:24 PM   #105
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio walked lightly up the stairs to the helm deck, and came quietly behind Mithadan. The sun was dropping low in the western sky, and a soft southern breeze was stirring. She reached up to brush back a a wayward curl from her face as the breeze riffled through her hair.

'I know you're there.' he said, quietly, and turned to face her, smiling. 'Your ears are keen for a Man!' She laughed, and stepped up to the railing next to him, looking out to sea. 'So beautiful!' she said looking toward the Isle, the sun catching the top of Meneltarma. 'It belies the danger that we face.' She sighed, remembering fondly her trips to the top, and the great eagles of Manwë which once flew there. 'I wish that you had seen it; had come to know the Men of Westernesse in the early days when Elves still walked among them as friends.' They stood, shoulders touching lightly, and watched the sun sink further behind the western horizon.

'We need to talk about Cami's plan to send Daisy to the caverns.' Her statement broke the comfortable silence between them. He turned to her, a look of concern shadowing his face. 'I, also, am uncomfortable with it.' she said, before he could speak. 'But I see no other way of getting the information we need for the rescue. That there is one of Gorthaur's ships patrolling the river,now, makes me uneasy, and I would know if there are any plans to implement a closer guard on the prisoners.'

'I have been thinking about this problem, too.' replied Mithadan. 'We do need the information, and Daisy would be the only one we can send who might fit in among the hobbit population there. Cami and Rose must not go, I am sure of that.' He regarded the Elf, closely, as if to read her thoughts in her face. He took both her hands in his. 'And you, my wayward Pio . . . simply put, you will not be going either.'

She frowned at this final statement, and thought to question him on it. But he went on. 'I do have a small solution that might make us feel better that Daisy will be there without our protection. If Bird will agree to take her there, I thought she might stay with Daisy, perhaps in her neeker-breeker form, and give her any aid she might need. What do you think of this idea?' They discussed his suggestion, and agreed it might prove a workable solution, provided Bird would do it. It brought some comfort to Pio, knowing that Bird would be there to watch over Daisy, but it was small comfort knowing that both her friends would now be placing themselves in danger.

'It is agreed then,' asked Mithadan 'that this might be an acceptable plan? If so then we should talk it over with Cami and with Bird, first, before we present it to Daisy.' 'Yes.' said Pio, 'And let us find them soon. I want to send Levanto to the caves to let them know we are sending Daisy and Bird, and why.'

Khelek came up, then, to take the next watch, while Pio and Mithadan went down to the galley to eat. As they walked across the deck to the stairs leading down to the galley, Pio casually brought up Mithadan's declaration that she would not be going to the caves. 'Let me understand this fully.' she asked. 'You did mean, only, that I would not be the one going upriver to gather information. You do understand that when the time for the rescue comes, I intend to be in the lead ship, do you not? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.'

He stopped in midstride, and brought her round to face him. His face was serious as he regarded her, and he spoke in a quiet, firm tone.

'You are wrong, Piosenniel. You will not be on the first ship. Or anywhere near it, for that matter!'

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-02-2002, 12:22 AM   #106
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami briefly greeted Piosenniel and Mithadan in the corridor. The pair had been in deep conversation; the Elf was apparently displeased over something that had been said. She halted a moment to share her latest information, including the suggestion that Bird be included as an escort and guard. Then she and Mithadan hurried along, seemingly locked in one of their eternal debates on strategy.

Cami agreed such a course seemed prudent. If only, she thought, it brings us what we need. So many great things hinging on small ears and hands. And, if something happened....., but she refused to think about that. If something happened, they would deal with it in its own time and place.

Cami smiled at the image of Bird darting about the tombs, picking up information here and there. She remembered the black and white bird who had made such an impression in Beleriand. Now the bird would fly free in the form of a small insect, while Cami sat frozen back on the ship. She knew she wasn't the only one who felt this impatience. She had seen Rose pacing back and forth earlier that day barely able to contain herself.

Things on the vessel were going as well as could be expected. The hobbrim were managing to care for themselves and their own needs. After Angara had solved the problem of occupying the children, they had taken over most matters on their own, quickly mastering the layout of the ship and the location of the storerooms. In fact, they seemed to be setting up their own small community. Kali had already melded his own life with theirs. Cami almost felt as if he was beginning his own slow departure from the Star.

Except for a few tutoring sessions late in the morning, the hobbit soon found herself with hours to fill. She'd thought of going to Andril, to try and learn more of the later history and lore, but something stopped her from doing that. Sometimes, she visited the wise woman in the evenings, but their talk usually focused on other things. For as much as she loved such learning, something inside whispered it wasn't meant for her. Cami had the strange sensation she'd forgotten something very important, yet she couldn't recall exactly what it was.

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-02-2002, 02:11 AM   #107
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Man was adamant, the Elf insistent.

'We are not done discussing this, Mithadan!' she said quietly, picking at her dinner in an irritated fashion. 'I cannot understand how you might think I will not be completely safe. Angara will be at my side; I will wear my mithril shirt and helm; I will even stay on the ship if you insist. You can take the lead if you wish. But I have thought about this - I need to be there, on that ship, to make the transfer link work.'

He sat there, considering his next line of argument, when Khelek poked his head through the galley door.

'Sorry to interrupt!' he said, looking at the hard set faces which now turned toward him. 'But, Pio, Levanto is asking for you. He said you would have some instructions for him . . . before he left?!'

The Elf took a deep breath to clear her mind, then stood to go. Mithadan pushed his dinner from him and got up, also. 'We can finish this later.' he said. 'I'll wait for you in our cabin. In the meantime I'll look at the ship assignments and see what other arrangements we might make.' He strode off in a determined manner.

She shook her head as she watched him go. 'OTHER arrangements?!. . . WE might make?!' she muttered to herself, as she followed Khelek up to the deck.

Levanto awaited her by the moored skiff. He could tell she was irritated. But the way her eyes snapped when he greeted her, made him hesitate to ask why. Instead he asked her what the general plan was, who was going, and instructions for the hobbits in the caverns on what was needed from them to make Daisy's mission work. He was glad that Bird would be close at hand for her. He questioned Pio closely on a few points to make sure he had understood them. A silence fell between them once she had answered his last question, and he looked at her, hoping somehow to draw her out concerning what troubled her. But she remained silent on it, and he took his leave of her, saying he would be back late the next day, before sunset. She waved at him as he swam off, her mind far away from his departure.

The moon had moved almost half way across the night sky by the time Pio had thought through all her arguments. She had remained sitting in the skiff since Levanto left, and now she rose and climbed back onto the Star.

She made her way quickly to the cabin and went in. Mithadan lay asleep on the bed, one arm tucked behind his head, as if he had just lain back for a moment to rest briefly. She sat cross-legged on the bed beside him, and watched the slow, light rhythm of his breathing. Pio put her hand gently on his chest and roused him from his sleep.

'Mithadan!' she called, quietly. 'It is "later" now, and I have come to finish our discussion.'

She waited . . .

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-02-2002, 12:28 PM   #108
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan's eyes flickered open, but did not come into focus. They sparkled brightly and seemed almost to glow in the dim light of the cabin. He murmured under his breath, then frowned but nodded as if engaging in an unseen conversation. Abruptly, his eyes snapped shut again, only to open a moment later, focused and clear. He blinked, then looked up at Piosenniel.

"Beloved?" he began, with a yawn. "Is it morning so soon?"

"Nay," replied the Elf. "It is late in the evening. I am sorry to wake you. Were you dreaming?"

Mithadan looked at her for a moment, then sat up in the bunk and reached for her hands. "Yes, I was. No matter. Is there some problem?"

"We must speak," she said. "We must resolve the question of whether I shall be on the first ship. Of all the Elves aboard the Star, I am the most skilled at Osanwe and know the most of our plans and the caverns beneath the tombs. If I am not at the forefront of our efforts, there may be great delays in rescuing the Halflings and preparing the Elven fleet to depart. Angara has pledged to protect me at all times. I will be as safe there as anywhere."

Mithadan looked troubled and seemed to look within himself for answers. He answered softly, almost as if speaking to himself, "I would keep you from the risk of assault, both you and our children to be. I would not risk you..."

She smiled and laid her hands upon his cheeks. "There will be no risk. I will keep myself safe and Angara will aid me in this. You've seen her lately. She would not put a child in harm's way."

"WHAT KNOW YOU OF THE RISKS!" he shouted. Then his chin tilted downward. "Many will be at risk," he continued in subdued tones. "Our task is to rescue those who would otherwise perish and with them perhaps take away hope for Middle Earth. Many will be at risk. I cannot concern myself about one alone."

He looked up and his grey eyes met hers, but now his eyes were dull and troubled, while hers shone with the light of the West. He took a deep breath. "So be it! You may come along and be on the first ship."

She smiled broadly and wrapped him in a tight embrace, then kissed him hard on the lips. "Thank you! You shall see, I will take care of myself and those within me as well!" They kissed again...
-----------------

Sleep would not come to him. His dream played itself out over and again in his mind. ...In response to his question, the Lord of the Seas looked grave, but answered, "Thy entry unto the river and thy travel there shall be under my protection for my power runs through all the rivers of the world. But once thou enter the tombs and caves, thou wilst have gone beyond the reach of my mantle and all the skills and the resolve of thee and thine friends will be tested. But thy efforts will be for naught if the Elf Piosenniel takes not her proper place at the forefront, and if she does so she will be safe and thine efforts may yet succeed. But even so..." The remainder of Ulmo's words echoed in his mind. He shut his eyes tight, then opened them and rose quietly, put on his clothes and climbed to the deck. He looked up at the stars, but they offered him no solace...
Old 10-02-2002, 11:54 PM   #109
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"But are you sure that you want to do this?"

"Of course I am! I want to do this. This is my chance to really do something on this voyage. Why? Are you afraid?"

Bird stepped into the cabin and sat down on Daisy's bunk. "Of course I'm afraid! This is not some lock-hole that your Bounders use to keep a tipsy Hobbit in until he's sobered up. This is a real prison, Daisy, run by Men."

"I'll be in disquise. But you will just be another Halfling among many, and if things go wrong there you will suffer and die with the rest of them. I even wonder if you are prepared for what you will see there?"

Daisy looked up from her packing. Suddenly, it seemed to the Skinchanger that the troublesome Hobbit lass aged ten years before her eyes. "No, I'm not sure what I will see there, though I can image that it will be bad. Worse than anything I've seen.

"But Birdie, I can't help but wonder if this is the reason I stowed away on the Lonely Star in the first place. That this is the reason that I'm here. You've all done so much for Kali and the Hobbrims. I just guess it's my turn, now. Can you understand that?"

"I suppose I do, Daisy. I've puzzled myself over why you turned up in this cabin. Your reason sounds as good as any." Birdie laughed at the affronted look of the Hobbit maid. "Well, you can't say that you didn't notice my "reservations", now can you? But I guess you've grown into your role, and now is as good a time as any to show what you have learned. And if things go wrong, you and I will be no safer on this ship than we'll be in the prison, I suspect."

Daisy had no answer for this, so she turned and tied up her bundle and slung it over her shoulder. "Well, I'm ready. When do we set out?"

"As soon as they tell us to. But here," Bird reached out and took the bundle off of Daisy's shoulder and slung it on the bunk. "I can lighten your load, some. Nothing you have in that pack will match what those poor folk are wearing in that prison. You'll have to dress for your part when you get there. The only thing you'll need is this." Bird held out a small, but keen Elven dagger in a buckled sheath. "Go on. Take it. I can carry no weapon in Dolphin or Neekerbreeker form, so you'll have to carry this for both of us."

Daisy took the small dagger, and studied the buckles. "Where do I wear this?"

"Anywhere you can hide it. You'll figure that out when we arrive."

The Hobbit pulled the dagger from it's sheath, and ran a finger over the shining steel. "Bird?"

"What now?"

"When we get there. You won't...well...fly away or anything...will you?"

Bird whirled around, ready to give the child a "piece of her mind". Then she saw the look on the girl's face as she gazed at the dagger. Bird walked over and placed both her hands on Daisy's shoulders.

"No, Daisy. Once we get there, I'm not going anywhere. Least not until we all are going."
Old 10-03-2002, 12:53 AM   #110
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Abruptly, Cami sat up in her bed. Even in the warmth and protection of her cabin, she could sense the eerie silence which seemed to enwrap the ship. It chilled her to the core. She tried to huddle down and return to her sleep, but rest would not come.

She slipped a cloak over her shoulders and came onto the deck. To the stern of the vessel sat Mithadan. The Man was locked in his own thoughts, his face a sullen mask that was impossible to read. Cami walked by without even nodding an acknowledgment, keeping her feelings to herself. She stood near the helm. Her body shook in the chilled night air. All seemed cold and strangely quiet. A few wisps of fog encircled the mast.

Cami remembered how it had been in the Shire right before the Scouring. Everyone felt the ugliness and pain. It knocked on the doors of their homes, and never left their sides even in the fields and marketplace. A hundred times, they had sharpened their axes and restrung their bows waiting for the fight to begin. But, here, on the Star, it had always been different. The ugliness had seemed far away. The ship was a refuge from all that lay outside. Sometimes, Cami had even forgotten the troubles that lay at the base of Eru's Mount, or the hearts that grieved from cruelty and death.

But tonight was different. Tonight, she had no trouble remembering. And she feared that their refuge was gone. That tomorrow and the next day would only bring reminders of the blanket of fear that had descended over their ship. There were too many hints of all the things that could go wrong and how many ways they could fail or die.

In the distance, Cami saw another figure slowly approaching, bearing a staff in hand. Perhaps no one was asleep on this strange night. Perhaps all her companions lay awake in reflection or walked like ghosts upon the foggy deck. It was impossible to say.

The figure emerged from the shadows and came to confront her. "Ancalimon," she whispered. "Is that you? What has happened to the ship? Is this some doom that reaches out to touch us and our plans."

He shook his head in denial. His hand went to her shoulder, warm and assuring. "Now we are feeling what those in the tombs have sensed for many days. The power of Angthaur is growing, and it reaches out beyond Eru's Mount to all in the land and waters."

"Cami, you have a choice. The Star has a choice. You can give in and accept the darkness in the sky, or look beyond to try and glimpse the stars."

"But there are no stars tonight," she nervously said, staring up into the bleak heavens.

"Oh, no, they're there. The stars do not move or change, only that which comes from below and tries to block out the light."

"But what if I can not see them?," she asked.

"Then, you must remember them as they were. For such memory can be a precious gift in times when all else is gone. You know this in your heart, for you have given a great part of yourself to seek out and rebuild your people's past. And you remember Maura and his kin and what they tried to do. And these memories are a worthy thing."

"Now, return to your cabin and think on this. For I fear the blanket of regret will not leave this vessel until the power of Sauron is broken."

Cami made her way quietly down the coridors. When she got inside her cabin, she dug down underneath her bed and pulled out a volume bound in vellum with a cover that gleamed as blue as the mid-day sky. And she set it on her table. No one on the ship knew of this treasure. At first she'd been faithful day-by-day, but, too long ago, she had set it aside, making one excuse or the other. The memories would all be lost unless she could find words for them. She opened up the volume, took up her pen, and began to write.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-03-2002, 03:03 AM   #111
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She had feigned sleep. Something troubled him and she left him to the privacy of his thoughts. Her eyes followed him as he left the room, and she recalled the words he had spoken earlier. For all the tenderness that had followed them, still they troubled her.

'WHAT KNOW YOU OF THE RISKS!'he had shouted, in frustration and in anger. And she had not answered him, then.

Now she put on her clothes, drew her cloak about her, and climbed quickly up the stairs. Cami passed her on the steps, going down to her room, lost in thoughts of her own.

Pio found him sitting at the stern railing. Dark thoughts moved across the features of his face. He paid no heed to her approach. She had brought his cloak and now put it about his shoulders. Then kneeling at his side, she took his cold hands in hers. Her face, grave, looked up at his.

'I have been selfish, Mithadan. And for that I am sorry. Your concern should be, and rightly so, with the task we are meant to accomplish. The fate of Middle Earth turns on this, as do the lives of all those who dwell or will come to dwell in it. You carry a heavy burden as the day draws near for the rescue. The greater needs of the crew, of those we are meant to rescue, the needs of the task, itself, necessary to accomplish it - these all weigh heavily on you. I would share that burden with you, if you would have it so. But if you cannot, then I will not add to it. Let me know what it is you need for me to do. Or barring that, let me remove my self as a cause for your concern. I will stay on the Star, far from risk, as you wish. I am certain, with you in the lead ship, we can forge the link from there. We will be safe, Mithadan. And when the task is done, you will come to us.'

She stood and kissed him lightly on the brow. Then turned, and made to go below to begin the new day.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-03-2002, 07:28 AM   #112
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

When Cami awoke, the morning sun stood high in the sky. She could hear the scampering of hobbrim feet echoing at her door. An instant later, a knock came. She wrenched herself from bed and walked over to lift the latch. On her table, left over from last night, the book and pen still lay. At least, she'd remembered to tighten the lid on her ink bottle.

"Mistess Nitir, Mistress Nitir," came the whispers of small hobbrim children.

"Yes," responded Cami, staring sleepily out at them.

"We've come for our lesson. You weren't in the galley this morning so Mistress Andril said we were to knock politely at your door. She said we should check to be certain you fared well. So, are you alright?" the boy continued, eying her up and down.

Cami laughed, "Yes, I am fine this morning." And she did feel well. She could still sense that pall which had crept in under the dark skies of night. It hung like a great sail over the ship itself, but somehow they'd manage to push it back just a bit so that their hearts could breath freely again. It didn't surprise Cami that Andril had also sensed something wrong.

"Please thank Mistress Andril for her concern. Then ask her to meet me in the galley. I have something special we're all going to work on together We'll need the large tables and the extra space."

"One more thing, please check first with everyone on the ship and see if they have any old clothes or extra scraps of cloth. If so, have them to bring it to the galley."

When the boy opened his mouth to question why, Cami told him to wait, and promised she would explain everything later. "But now, make haste. We have a big task to undertake, and only twelve days remain to complete it."

Old 10-03-2002, 08:15 AM   #113
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Wait!" he cried softly. She paused, then turned and came back to his side. He stood and faced her. His eyes, which had been dull and troubled, were now clear and sparkled as with a new resolve. Whatever darkness had troubled him, seemed to have passed, leaving him calm and certain, and when he spoke his voice was clear and fair.

"It is said that the Eldar do not suffer the weight of bearing children as do Women of my race. And though you be half-Elven, I see in you the grace and strength of the Eldar. You are needed in aid of our task at the forefront of our efforts; not left behind waiting breathlessly for news. I trust you. I have learned to do so despite myself." He laughed quietly.

"When we first met, you seemed strange, your motives unfathomable. You troubled me, I who had bound myself with rules, routines and cares. You were beautiful then, as now, but I did not understand you. But when I came to know your singlemindedness, your fierce determination and dedication to those to whom you owed nothing, I found that you are altogether admirable and I loved you." He kissed her tenderly then stepped back and looked into her eyes.

"I could lose myself in you," he murmured, then he spoke in a strong voice. "I trust you not to risk yourself without cause. We shall do this thing together; I will not be selfish. You shall ride in the first ship as you planned, and we shall both do our parts."

She burrowed her head in his shoulder and embraced him tightly. When she looked up, tears sparkled in her eyes. "I have never met one such as you," she said.

"Nor I you," he answered. "Let us rejoice now, for later our task will consume us." Hand in hand, they went below decks.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:42 PM   #114
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The wise woman sat at a table in the galley, intently studying the book Cami had placed in front of her. Rose joined them, peering down over Andril's shoulder.

The small volume had sturdy vellum pages, and was clearly intended for a lady. Its design and craftsmanship appeared distinctly Elvish. The cover was made of pure white leather, with tiny blue flowers inlaid all about. Slivers of mithril, almost like flecks of light, decorated its back and spine.

Rose's eyes widened in appreciation at the rich detail. "But wherever did you find a jewel like this?" she asked. For her friend's simple possessions would not have included such a treasure. Andril looked up from the book to listen to Cami's answer.

"When we first arrived in Gondolin, Idril noticed as I sat with pen and paper in her courtyard. I explained that, every evening since boarding the Star, it was my custom to sit and record the events of the day. She turned towards her house and said nothing. But the next morning, she brought this over to me. Its pages were pure and clean, except for the very first.

Cami pointed to a sheet where, in fine Elvish runes, appeared the words, Idril's Day Book, written in the Lady's own hand. The next page was blank, and then came script and pictures which Cami had carefully copied.

"But what is this blank page?" Rose asked.

"Our own title must go there." Cami said. "But until the rescue is ended, I can not guess what it might be."

Rose shook her head, "I am amazed you kept this secret. But how did you get it out of the camps and back to the ship?"

Cami laughed, "I was very lucky. For it was so small I could tuck it under my belt. Once or twice, one of the Orcs glimpsed it as they pillaged through my things, but they didn't think it was worth stealing. For a book is only nonsense to them, and has no real value like a jewel or a weapon."

Cami explained how she'd written the entries. "In the camps, I left the first pages blank. These earlier pages were only filled in after I returned to the Star. Then, I copied down all my pages that I'd done before on separate sheets. I've tried to write every night since then. Lately, I've been less faithful. But I promise that will change."

"Has no one seen this before?" Andril questioned.

"On the Star, no," she replied. "But in Beleriand, I shared it with Maura and Ancalimon. Maura said he'd never seen a book of lore that so clearly showed a woman's hand. For it looks and reads differently than those that speak of battles and other great matters. I discussed those things, but also children and their songs, and how the hobbits struggled to find hope, and even some of the feelings I had for Maura.

"Ancalimon told me to keep writing, and someday I would know where it could be safely kept. And now, I do know." She looked intently at Andril. "I am sorry. I can not come with you to live by the Mount. My place is not there. Maybe I even wish it so, but it's not."

She stopped and struggled for words to say what must be said. "This, however, belongs to the hobbrim children This little book with its tales and songs. Perhaps it will help your children to remember the Star, who we were, and what we tried to do. I hope I will be able to pen the last chapters on the rescue and the choosing. I think so, but I don't know for sure. If something were to happen to me, Andril, please write down those things so they won't be lost and keep the book with you wherever you go."

She held out the chest that her companions on the Star had found months earlier under the very foundations of Minas Anor. Inside, was the stone inscribed with a picture of Ancalimon just as they'd discovered it within the strange hobbit dwelling.

Cami explained "Use this chest to keep the book safe from the water of the sea, for we know it rested many years in a sea cave and the papers inside remained dry."

Andril stood up to hug Cami. She said, "You keep this till our journey has ended. I believe you will come safely through, but if not.....Then, yes, I will complete the tale. And I will hold the book in trust for the hobbrim children to remember what has been endured by so many to try to keep us safe."

Child made her way to the sleeping cabins where she found Daisy and Bird together . She hugged them both and wished them all speed and safety.

"Daisy, I was in the camps of Beleriand, but I fear that, where you're going, conditions may be even worse. Certainly, these hobbits have been imprisoned much longer than Maura's people were. Don't forget the Star. Don't forget that we are here waiting for you. Sit and dream sometime about what lies behind you."

Before the two women left, she spoke with them briefly of the great dream quilt which she and the hobbrim would make from scraps of cloth. For this quilt would be given to Piosenniel's twins and, even when the words had gone away, the children would still see the dream pictures and understand a tiny bit of what had taken place, though thinking of it only as a fantastic dream.

And each character on the Star would be asked to say what image stood strongest in his or her mind. And that image would be woven into the great quilt, without any order or chronology, but with the truth still lying underneath. And Daisy knew immediately that she wanted a scene which showed her coming up the waterway clinging to the dolphin. Bird leaned over to Pio and whispered the words in her ears to tell Cami what her picture would be. Then the three women parted, each going the way that they had chosen, and hoped to come together quickly again.

And Cami went to every other person on the Star: hobbit, hobbrim, Man, and Elf. And even the grey peddler with his staff. And they all told her what scene to place into the dream quilt to represent their deepest memories and hopes.

Old 10-03-2002, 02:51 PM   #115
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Once below, they separated to see to their different duties. Pio had gone toward Daisy's room, wanting to speak with her about her role at the caverns. The sound of Veritas' voice stopped her, telling the Elf that Levanto had returned and wished to speak with her. She hurried up stairs and down to the skiff where he was waiting.

'You must have swum with strong strokes to carry you there and back so quickly!' she smiled at the tired looking Mer-man, resting against the side of the ship.

He smiled back at her and yawned. 'I thought it best to go and return quickly. Too soon will the Teleri be here, and we should have the informaton we need to finalize our plans before then.' He stretched and yawned again. 'I am right in thinking that once they are here we will proceed quickly to the rescue, am I not?' She nodded to him and bade him tell her of what he had arranged.

He said he had spoken with the Elders. They were concerned greatly when he told them of the ship which now patrolled the river, but did not know of any increased guards that had been assigned to the prisoners. They understood the need for Daisy to be placed in a position where she could obtain information for the Star, and after a brief conference among themselves, seemed confident they knew a way to accomplish this. He had told them Daisy would come to them this night, and they had assured him they would be waiting in readiness for her arrival.

She clarified a few points in his story, and then satisfied, kissed him on the cheek. 'Thank you, dear Levanto! One last thing I ask of you. Bird will be taking Daisy to the caverns and staying there with her. Will you show her the way?' He assured her he would, saying, 'Bird, eh?! How interesting!' He took his leave of her, then, and went to take his rest before the trip tonight.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:21 PM   #116
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Daisy was nervous as the time grew near for her to go. This was her time to show she could be counted on, and she wondered if she were up to it. She packed the last of the necessaries she thought she might need in an old worn bag - another old dress, made to look well worn, a torn and stained cloak, and a dilapidated looking comb. The knife that Bird had given her she slipped into the waistband of her skirt, hidden by the overhang of a tattered vest. She longed to take the sword that Pio had given her, but she dared not. She must look and be the very image of one of the prisoned hobbits.

Her stomach grumbled loudly, protesting that she hadn't eaten anything all day. Daisy gave herself one last look in the mirror, and hurried out the door to find some lunch. 'Can't be fainting from hunger!', she said to herself. 'Who knows when I might get some decent food to eat again.'

The familiar smell of stew met her as she entered the galley. Dipping a bowlful from the simmering pot, she sat at one of the tables and dug in.

Pio was just entering the room, when she saw the Hobbit tucking into her meal. She laughed, drawing the girl's attention to her, loaded spoon halfway to her mouth. 'Must be especially good today!' she said, pointing at the near empty bowl. 'Or are you stocking up because you think this might be your last good meal in Middle-earth!'

Daisy blushed, then laughed, herself. 'Come sit with me!' she said. 'I wanted to see you before I went and talk to you.' 'And I with you.' returned the Elf, seating herself across from her. She poured herself a cup of tea and stirred a generous spoon of honey into it.

The hobbit had finished her stew, and now sat and fidgeted in her chair, not sure where to begin. Pio waited, letting her work out where she wanted to start in her own time.

'I'm scared, Pio!' is how she began. 'I've tried to think what you might do if you were me, but I just don't feel I can do this the way it needs to be done. You should have sent Rose. She's braver and smarter than I am, and wouldn't disappoint you.' Tears welled in Daisy's eyes, and Pio came round and drew a chair next to her. She pulled the now sobbing Hobbit close and let her bring out her fears. 'I could never forgive myself if I did something wrong that would hurt all you here on the Star!

Pio let the tears stop of their own accord, then took the hem of her cloak and wiped the hobbit's face and nose. She turned the girl's face up to hers, and regarded her closely. 'There are many parts that must be accomplished as we bring this venture to its close. Some are great and some are small, but each is necessary to the task at hand. This is your part, Daisy. And we chose you because we have all the faith in you that you will accomplish what is set for you to do. Let that be your focus, and do not worry about the larger aspects of this business. Leave that to others whose task it is to do them. Can you do that for us?'

Daisy nodded her head, reluctantly. 'You'll be my eyes and ears.' said Pio. 'You will help us to get in and out of the caverns safely with your information. I, and all the ones I love, will be kept from harm because you do this for us.' She pushed the curls back from Daisy's face and kissed her brow. 'You are a brave young woman, Daisy, and I have grown to love you. You could never disappoint me.'

They sat close, in silence, for a while, until one of the hobbrim young entered the galley, hoping for a snack. Then Pio smiled at Daisy and asked her to go find Bird. She wanted to talk with both of them before they left, to let them know what Levanto had told her.

Daisy ran from the room to find Bird, and Pio turned her attention to the expectant hobbrim and the serious business of the snack.

Old 10-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #117
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OOC--Please consult the discussion thread for an important notice.

---------------------------------------------
Daisy ran back with Bird, only to find both Pio and Cami awaiting their arrival. Cami had asked for a moment to say goodbye to the women. Then she intended to excuse herself while Bird and Pio and Daisy hammered down the last details of their mission. Cami hugged them both and wished them good speed and all the safety in the world.

She had only one small word of advise about surviving in the prison. "Daisy, Bird, the one thing that may help you is to never forget who you are and what stands behind you. You must remember the Star. You may have so much fear and sadness all around that it becomes easy to think that's all there is in the world. But that's not true. Cling to your memories of this place and your friends. Sometimes take a minute to sit and dream about what lies here."

Then she told them of her own idea for a dream quilt, since she thought it might carry a little solace on the road ahead. And Cami said how she and the hobbrim would craft a dream quilt from scraps of cloth to be given to Pio's little twins. For, as they grew, even after the words had slipped away from their minds, the children would see the pictures and understand something of what had taken place, though imagining it to be a strange dream or vision.

And each companion on the Star would be asked to say what image stood strongest in his or her mind. And that image would be woven into the great quilt, without any explanation or chronology, but with the truth still lying underneath.

Daisy knew the scene that she wanted. She asked Cami to make a picture which showed her coming up the waterway on the back of the dolphin.

Then, Bird leaned over to Cami and whispered some words in her ear to tell what her picture would be. But she would not say it so any others could hear. Then Cami parted from Bird and Daisy, each woman going the way that they had chosen and hoping to come together quickly again.

And then Cami went to every other person on the Star: hobbit, hobbrim, Man, and Elf, and even the grey peddler with his staff. And they all told her privately what scene to place into the dream quilt to represent their deepest memories and hopes. And the hobbit returned to her cabin, feeling as if she had been given a great bouquet of flowers, each with a different fragrance and color.

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-04-2002, 07:59 AM   #118
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan stood at the helm watching the preparations for the departure of Daisy and Bird. There was little left to be done, yet the crew and several Hobbrim crowded about giving advice and words of encouragement. Yet, for the most part, these were directed to Daisy. Bird stood nearby, listening, but said little. Occaisionally, she would glance away to the North as if attempting to perceive what the days to come might bring.

"Bird!" he called and waited while she climbed the steps to the helm. "I wished to speak with you before you go..."

"I know," she interrupted. "I will take good care of Daisy and will learn all I can. Do not worry."

Mithadan looked at the woman gravely. "I have no doubt you will do these things. I wished to speak of other matters." He moved to the rail and she followed, standing tensely next to the man.

He smiled at her nervousness then spoke quietly. "It seems to me our friendship has waned somewhat since Gondolin. Perhaps it is simply that we are both busy or maybe there are other reasons that I do not or will not understand. Certainly, the love that has bloomed between myself and Piosenniel has not helped matters."

He placed a hand on her shoulders and looked into her eyes. "You and Pio have been together for a long time, at least from the perspective of our younger race. This should not change. She needs you at her side, as our children will, and, if it may be, I would have you there also. Please consider this. You do not have to answer now."

He took her face in his hands and kissed her brows. "Good luck. And do not take care only of Daisy. Look to yourself as well." Then he turned away and walked back to the helm.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:00 AM   #119
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Daisy and Bird waited for Levanto, Kali came over to them. He took Daisy and awkwardly pushed her towards the side. "Please, there's something I need to say. I tried to do it before, but I didn't know how to pick the right words."

The two small figures stood facing each other. Kali took Daisy's hand in his. "I really want to go with you and be able to help. But I know I can't do that. If I went anywhere near there, there'd be no secrets any more."

Daisy looked at the sea and waited a minute before responding, "I promise to be careful, Kali, and Bird will look after me too."

She signed and shook her head, "Kali, you're so different than anyone I met before. You reach out to people and make them feel good. You don't even have to think about it. It's part of who you are."

"For me, it's been a struggle, all my life. I want to learn how to be a little like you, to show that I care about something. I'm tired of being alone. I want to do something for somebody. I'm not afraid, at least not much. I'd rather go together too, but that's not possible."

She reached over and hugged him. They stood together for a moment. Then Kali looked down at her and said in a voice that sounded far more determined than his usual manner, "I swear, Daisy Greenhand, that if anyone hurts you, I'll come flying from wherever I am. And I won't stop running and fighting until I see you laugh again." Then, he kissed her softly on top of her blond curls.

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-04-2002, 10:23 AM   #120
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Well! That was a surprise, thought Bird. She eyed the moody, dangerous Man that had won the heart of her equally moody, dangerous friend. She supposed he meant well.

The thing was that the Races, looking at Skinchangers in their outward form, assumed they were of the Race of Men. A smaller "lesser" branch of Men, but Men nontheless.

And this was just not the case. Oh no. Not at all. A Skinchanger living amongst Men was assuming a form, every bit as much a disquise as if he had changed to a horse, or a hawk...or a dragon.

So Skinchangers had traditionally stayed safely on the fringes of the societies of other Races, taking what they needed, and rejecting the rest. Particularly the Race of Men. Especially the Race of Men. For Men had ever coveted and taken what they could from the other people of Middle-earth: the wisdom of the Elves, the skills of the dwarves, the lands of the Halflings. And from Skinchangers? Men would take their very being, seeking a Power that resided nowhere but in the very fea of Skinchangers.

And what was this he had spoke of? That Pio and the coming children "needed" her? Bird had a good idea just what that invitation entailed. A governess. A servant. A faithful family retainer who lived on the fringes of that society every bit as much as a skinchanger lived on the fringes of Man's society. But never taking. Always giving. Birdie shuddered at the thought.

Of course, if asked to speak of these things, Birdie couldn't have put it into such words. She only knew that she could have answered Mithadan as soon as the words were out of his mouth. But she left it for now. There were other things to deal with. And after this was over? Well, Bird had other plans.

She only said to herself: "I'll visit them from time to time. I'll bring presents."