The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Do elves dream?

I couldn't find anything about this by searching, I need to know this for a sketch of Arwen set in the middle of LoTR that I am writing at the moment.

I have always thought that elves don't need to sleep, but do they ever dream, just slip away into their subconcious? I feel sorry for them if they don't.

Thats all, cheers
Old 02-13-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Elves don't sleep as we do because they slip into a "world of dreams." In The Two Towers, Legolas is described as being able to continue on much farther than Aragorn and Gimli because he doesn't need sleep like they do. He can let his thoughts "walk the path of Elvish dreams" even while walking or running, so it is almost as if he is in a trance. I think the same applies to the other Elves.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:39 AM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Yes, that is completely true

Just to add on to what Finwe said I will add this quote

Quote:
...Legolas already lay motionless, his fair hands folded upon his brest, his eyes unclosed, blending living night and deep dream, as is the way with Elves...
This is from the Chapter, "The Riders of Rohan". And this is the only clear description that I have read about how elves sleep. In addition during the entire chase of the orcs to rescue Merry and Pippin, Legolas is always the first up, and the most energetic. Even after they have been rushing for days, and hours straight, Legolas is still very energetic, and observant (of course )

But I don't know if this applies to Arwen, I guess it would. But I strangely never think of Arwen or Elrond sleeping in this manner. I guess it is because of the influence of the films.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
They are Half-Elven, so it might be different for them.

As I recall from reading Morgoth's Ring, Elves only need two hours of "sleep" per night, to be well-rested. In times of need, they could go for about a week without any sort of rest at all, and still remain at their full strength. Definitely a good thing to have!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
In times of need, they could go for about a week without any sort of rest at all, and still remain at their full strength
I really needed to turn Elven for exam week...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:51 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Off-topic posts

All posts from February 16th on are off-topic, since they are no longer book discussions. Please delete your own; if not, they will be deleted by the moderator. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
I hate to be a bother to anyone, especially the moderators as they do such a good job of keeping this place going. But, I would just like to say that I thought that this was a forum where people could discuss things relating to the ideas behind and within the works of the late, great JRR Tolkien.

Therefore I do not see how posting a small sketch of Arwen, one of Tolkiens characters, albeit not in a Tolkienesque style, is 'off-topic'. All I wanted was some feedback on what I had written from some scholarly people who I respect for their taste in literature and the arts. If I have offended anyone by doing so I do hereby sincerely apologise for any wrongdoing.

I shall remove my post, but leave this one, I don't know why I'm bothering, as you will only delete this one anyway but I have principles. One of these is the idea of relatively free speech on a forum.

If this dogmatic culling of anything vaguely unrelated to Tolkien is to continue then I do not feel I wish to visit this forum any longer. That probably doesn't affect you as I am only one man, but oh well.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Mr. Brandybuck, my reason for intervening is simple - this forum is for discussing Tolkien's books. Any member who wishes to write his/her own stories is welcome to submit them to the fan fiction section of the Barrow-Downs main site, or to participate in RPGs on the appropriate forums. It has nothing to do with freedom of expressing opinions - fiction is not an opinion nor a discussion; therefore fiction is off-topic on the Books forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote