The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Before and after the movie

Before the movie came out, many people in the "Tolkien community" were concerned about its impact. Some expressed concern about the influence it might have on the way the world viewed Tolkien, or the type and level of discussions that would take place on boards like these. Some charged that, after the movie, there would be little reasonable discussion of Tolkien as an author, since everything would be focused on the movie itself rather than the writings. Others countered these pessimistic charges, contending that many new fans would be led to read Tolkien for the first time.

We have had threads which addressed specific questions like how Frodo's image differed in book and movie, but I believe these wider issues haven't been directly discussed.

Almost seven months have passed since we first saw the movie. Were these original fears and criticisms justified? Has this board itself changed in any way? Most importantly, has there been any change in the level or type of discussion of Tolkien and Middle-earth that is going on here(for better or for worse)?

And, on a personal level, what did seeing the movie do for you? Were you a first time fan who might never have looked at Tolkien's books if it weren't for the movie, or someone who had known and loved Middle-earth long before Peter Jackson?

I will post my own thoughts on this later, but would like to hear what others say, both those with the perspective of new fans as well as those who've been around on this board much longer than I.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ July 14, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]