The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2003, 02:37 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting ***Round Earth Poll/Vote for Revised Ainulindale***

The poll is also posted in the member only forum above, but I think the information as for vox populi would be also of assistance:

Here we go:

A) Round Earth version should be used

Consequences :

+ we will keep the revised version in accordance with J.R.R.T's latest vision
- insurmountable discord with the whole bulk of later (by book chronology) stories will arise

B) Flat Earth version should be used, with the special proviso "thus was known to men" indicating that Eldar of Valinor knew thing as it was, but mannish tradition stuck to Sun and Moon as to leaves of Trees but not as to actual planet and star

Consequences:

+ more or less as above, as
- it will make the whole thing less "true". Special indication of the kind may eliminate the feeling of monolith Silmarillion always bore to me (and as far as I know many beside me) Some parts of it will be inconsistent with others

C) Flat Earth version should be used, as for Round earth and Sun and Moon, no mention of Arda as Solar System and so forth should be made

Consequences:

+ Greater consistency with the rest of the stories
- Discord with the latest vision of J.R.R.T

If I missed any other possibility or ommitted any consequence, pray feel free to add it up in series, or comments, as you find it convenient

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I am not am member but that doesn't matter here.

A is nearest to my hart, but for the projekt it would mean to end up with no more the short summary or "fan-fic" in grat parts.

I personaly would evoid C. The plan of the projekt looks for me as to provide a single source of most relisble but nice to read information about Tolkiens-World. But the reliabilty will suffer graetly if you don't mention the latest idea of Tolkien for his univers.

So it seems to me clear that B is the way the project has to go.

Yust my two cent which are not realy of any worth here.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would go with a), but the workload and the arguemnts would seem, especially at the slowish rate we are a bit too much. Ah, well there's my vote for A).

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though this was decided long ago [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] , I applaud you H-I for taking the bull by the horns!

Actually this current vote shows the shortcomings of our 'system' of editing very nicely, but let us see if we can continue to make progress without devoting weeks or months to creating an elaborate and complex power/decision/voting structure.

I vote for C, also, is there conclusive proof that JRRT stayed with the MT version?

JRRT: artist and illustrator has a picture of taniquetil in it where in there is someaspect of the sun [ I do not recall what anymore, that led Saulotus and I who were examining it - to be less than positive as to it's 'MTness']It was a very late picture also, mid 60's at the earliest as I recall.

Anyway if someone really wants A or B they should also propose how to deal with the manifold issues it raises.

As has been noticed, JRRT left some sketches and outlines as to how to implement some of the changes, but they are nowhere near enough to truly doctor the early part of the Silm.

Also A and to lesser degree B would violate the very working principles we have agreed upon. Every member should be fully aware of these principles and automatically run any suggestion they are about to make through their very own 'internalized forebrain principle sifter'. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
Maerbenn
Haunting Spirit

Maerbenn has just left Hobbiton.
Question

lindil wrote:
Quote:
JRRT: artist and illustrator has a picture of taniquetil in it where in there is someaspect of the sun [ I do not recall what anymore, that led Saulotus and I who were examining it - to be less than positive as to it's 'MTness']It was a very late picture also, mid 60's at the earliest as I recall.
Which picture are you referring to? Halls of Manwë on the Mountains of the World above Faerie (perhaps the most famous of the Professor's 'Silmarillion' pictures) dates from July 1928 according to the book.
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings Maerbenn! and thanks for speaking up.

I do not have it myself so I can't be more specific. What I do recall was that there was something about where the sun was that made me think that it must be 'old world'. As for the dates, I thought Saulotus and I checked it, but it was very late [ 3 or so am if I recall] and I am can not recall more details.

But if that is the only picture of Taniquetal then I must be amiss. Apologies, if so.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 08:19 PM   #7
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Quote:
Also A and to lesser degree B would violate the very working principles we have agreed upon. Every member should be fully aware of these principles and automatically run any suggestion they are about to make through their very own 'internalized forebrain principle sifter'.
Same thing goes for me...
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Eru has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eru
Shield

i vote for c), if only because it makes the most sensew to me.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:01 AM   #9
fredd2332

Sting

I vote for C
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I vote for c). Does anyone get to vote here or am I intruding? Hope I'm not [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*coughs and splutters* There is no point in be blabberring on about keeping the A) version if everyone supports the c) one. let's just stick with C).

Old 01-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Shield

who keeps blabbering on about keeping A), or B) for that matter?

although i agree, it looks like c), is/will be the winner.

but who am i to judge?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:04 PM   #13
Westerly Wizard
Haunting Spirit

Westerly Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Lindil mentioned, I don't think we can be sure that Tolkien stuck to his revised ideas entirely, and we certainly can't be sure that he would not have changed back later. But most importantly, if you were to take the MT writings as fact and use them as a basis, it would be nearly impossible (and I hesitate when I add nearly) to create something that is Tolkien's writing and not entirely your own, as the MT ideas were not transferred back into the Silmarillion stories.

This wouldn't simply be to the extent Christopher Tolkien went in the "Fall of Doriath" and "Fall of Gondolin" stories, as he had solid basis from which he could write a story almost as a summary of his father's work. You would almost have to rewrite every story to fit with MT (if you took it all), and who knows how JRR would have done this if he did stick to MT: it very possibly could have led to huge changes in the stories that we cannot envision.

I would definitely choose to write something that is Tolkien's words, regardless if it was his last vision.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:36 AM   #14
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Dear god, (Eru) The person who keeps blaberring on about keeping a) is me.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #15
Eru
Haunting Spirit

Shield

my apologies. didn't think that was blubbering, though.

and don't call me God. that was, too bold, perhaps. as lindil suggested, call me lenwa. or whatever else may please you.

can i vote agian?

just kidding! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 12:08 AM   #16
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Thank to all who expressed their opinion. C it is. The vote is over

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote