The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 AM   #161
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Oh lord Boromir has so many excellent lines. "They have a cave troll!" is so damn funny! And his dying words were phenomenal. But my favourite is<P>"What is this new devilry?"<P>And the worst one is that "Gondor needs no King" one. Not for delivery, just shouldn't have been used.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #162
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir's Best: "They have a cave troll!"<P>Boromir's Worst: "And what would a ranger know of this matter?"
Old 11-11-2002, 01:06 PM   #163
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

Boromir's best lines: <BR>1) "You carry the fate of us all little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, then Gondor will see it done."<BR>2) "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt, over so small a thing.... such a little thing."<BR>3) "I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king." <P>Boromir's worst lines:<BR>1) "We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here! Now get out of here! Get out!!" (that line was kinda scary!)
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:17 PM   #164
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Boromir:<BR>Best:<BR>1) I would have followed you to the end - my brother...my captain...my KING.<BR>2) It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing... Such a little thing.<BR>3)Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?<P>Worst: <BR>1)Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king - I agree that Mr. Bean delievered this line well, but the line was terse.<BR>2) Still Sharp - yea this is a tribute to an old show Sean Bean did (character's name was Sharpe), and he adds anything "sharp" into his lines (I know, it's scripted).<BR>3) It could have been mine. It should be mine! Give it to me! - I know, this line is essential to Boromir's downfall to the power of the ring...blah blah blah..but dammit it still ****es me off...
Old 11-14-2002, 06:51 AM   #165
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I want to change my vote. I did say "What is this new devilry?" but I just remembered an altogether better part.<P>"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that DOES NOT SLEEP! And the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, and ash, and dust. Not with ten thousand Men could you do this. It is folly!"<P>That's not really one line but whatever. It rules.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM   #166
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ah ha you guys have finally gotten round to my favortie character. So here goes:<BR>Best:<BR>1:It's moving fast and against the wind<BR>2:This isn't a mine it's a tomb<BR>3:Oh they have a cave troll (he says it in such an offhand matter as if a cave troll was no biggie)<BR>4:Forgive me I did not see. I have failed you all. Leave it. It is over. The world of men will fall and all will come to darkness, and my city to ruin. (These are the most emotional words in the whole movie, I tear up every time I watch that scene.)<P>Worst:<BR>1:What would a mere ranger know of these matters. (I don't know, this is about the only bad line I could find for him.)
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:44 PM   #167
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I don't really want to change my vote, but I wanted to mention one of his lines from the Extended Version:<P>"You carry a great burden, Frodo. Do not carry the weight of the dead."<P>Grr, I can't remember how it began, but that's how the line finished.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:28 PM   #168
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I nominate these two:<P>1. Forgive me--I did not see. I have failed you all. Leave it, it is over...the world of men will fall and all will come to darkness... And my city to ruin.<P>2. I only ask for the strength to defend my people! (For the sheer passion that it is delivered with)<P><BR>ALL of Sean Bean's lines were excellent; he did one of the finest jobs I have seen in any recent movie, and he surely deserved at least an Academy Award nomination, perhaps the Award itself. Even lines that were terribly awkward or screamed, "This is what's going on right now, all you newbies" were delivered gracefully and passionately. He put enormous effort into understanding Boromir's character and this easily shows through in his performance, even when some of the lines or actions provided by the script seem out of Boromir's character. A shame that we will see no more of Sean in these movies...<p>[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Melichus ]
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 PM   #169
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I though most of Boromirs lines were pretty good<BR>his dying speech and when he was describing minas tirith were SO brilliant, i cry every time i see the bit when he dies <BR>I think his worst lines were after moria and aragorn wants them to get up, I can't remember what he says exactly but I thought it was kinda weird, but i think legolas got the worst lines of any of them.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:36 AM   #170
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Did you just say you didn't like the following line?<P>"Give them a moment for pity's sake!"<P>Wow, that is just one more awesome line for Boromir. This could be the closest one yet.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:44 PM   #171
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> A shame that we will see no more of Sean in these movies... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I think he's in TTT, because they have flashbacks. At least I heard somewhere that they will be spending a lot of time on Faramir, and that it will include flashbacks that involve him and Boromir.<P>He's in the cast list for TTT, at any rate.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #172
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

All good ones...<P>How about we do SARUMAN next? Or are we just sticking to the Fellowship members?
Old 11-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #173
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saruman is good.<P>Saruman's best line:<BR>"The Nine have left Minis Morgol. They crossed the river Isen on midsummer's eve. They will find the ring, and kill the one who carries it."
Old 11-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #174
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Legolas's best line was: "Orcs!" hehe<P>NI!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:23 PM   #175
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

Saruman's Best:<BR>1) "your love of the halfling's leaf has clearly slowed your mind"<BR>2) "We have work to do"<BR>3) "You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad- Dum; Shadow and flame."<P><BR>WORST<BR>1) "So, you have chosen death" - Please, like you could take out Gandalf. Dude's ridin on Gwaihir and Shadowfax! PLEASE.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:33 PM   #176
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I also liked "Goblins!" But, "A dwarf breaths so loud we could have shot him in the dark."--Haldir is better.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:58 PM   #177
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Gaaaaaasp! I'm shocked! We're supposed to be good little Downers and wait for Firondoel to post results. I'm not having any part of this scandalous behavior.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:53 AM   #178
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

What? Who said anything about "results?" I just was casting my vote! Sorry if I missed something!
Old 11-16-2002, 10:31 AM   #179
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Best of Gimli:<BR>"I asked for one hair off her golden head, and she gave me three."<BR>*Awwwwwwww*<P>Best of Legolas:<BR>"...a balrog of Morgoth." <BR>The way he says it is really cool!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:01 PM   #180
mp

Sting

Sam's best: "Don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to, sir. I don't mean to."<BR>Worst: "What're ya doin'? Those wraiths are still out there!"<p>[ November 16, 2002: Message edited by: MagicPants ]
Old 11-16-2002, 03:40 PM   #181
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Um....hold on guys. There is only one Downer allowed to change the topic of debate on this thread.<P>Lets wait hey?
Old 11-16-2002, 04:59 PM   #182
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

So we're still on Saruman, right?
Old 11-16-2002, 05:44 PM   #183
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

H'actually, I believe we're still on Boromir. Help! Firondoel! Quick! This thread is descending into mass chaos and maddness! Oh. Wait . . . never mind!!! I think it IS time to change people though, hinto hinto . . .

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 07:26 PM   #184
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I’m SOOOO sorry guys!! I’m REALLY late!! Results for Boromir…<P>Best: Our people. Our people. I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.<P>Worst: Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king.<P>Lets just go ahead and do Saruman. I'm not sure about my opinion for him. I'm going to have to go skim over the script. Once again I'm really sorry about being so late.
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:34 PM   #185
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Piffle. Once again, my choices were not the choice of the people. I get the impression that I shouldn't run for president any time soon! <P>Okaaaaaay. Saruman . . .riiiight. Best line: When he's yelling at the mountain, 'cause it's elvish!! Even though, he wasn't really powerful, and it was really the mountain, blah blah blah. Poor Mr. Lee was forced to do it, but it's still elvish!<BR>Other best lines: The whole thing about (which I can only remember the last part of) "And Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard." His voice there! Wowzer!!!!<BR>Oh! And the part about "tear them all down!" heh hhe. "Tha' was good." (To quote Pippin!) <P>Worst line: You have chosen the way of PAIN!!! Brrr. Scary.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 11-16-2002, 10:46 PM   #186
Elven_Princess88

Silmaril

I'm sorry I know u r way past Merry but he has THE BEST line in the WHOLE movie and i don't think any1 mentioned. When he says BUCKLEBERRY FERRY! OMG I LOVE THAT LINE.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:06 AM   #187
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I know we're done with Boromir but I just want to say a couple of things on him.<P>I agree that Sean Bean did an excellent job and all his lines are wonderfull.<P>Also just to keep in the back of your mind:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing... Such a little thing.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sean Bean is terrified of riding in helicopters and through that entire scene he was thinking about the return trip in the helicopter. He's such a great actor.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:20 AM   #188
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Worst line: "You have elected the way of PAIN!"<P>Best line: The Nine have left Minas Morgul. They will find the Ring, and kill the one who carries it."
Old 11-17-2002, 07:46 AM   #189
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Saruman's Best: "Moria..."(The way he says it is so cool, I don't remember the rest though. lol)<P>Saruman's Worst: (I can't remember all of his lines, I'm going to have to come back to you on that one.)
Old 11-17-2002, 11:31 AM   #190
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Now that I have watched the extended version of LOTR I have to say the worst line in the movie was spoken by Elrond:<P><I>Nine companions. So be it. You shall be The Fellowship of the Ring!</I><P>Now tell me honestly, didn't you just cringe when he said that?<P>At the moment I cannot pinpoint one specific line as the best because there were several I loved! In all honesty it was <B>easy</B> to pinpoint a <B>worst</B> line for the movie!<p>[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 11-17-2002, 02:42 PM   #191
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Oh my gosh! Poor Sean! I didn't know that Rose! Poor guy. What excellent acting!!! I have a whole new respect for the man!

Old 11-18-2002, 07:05 AM   #192
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

best: "and gandalf returns to isengard...something something"<BR>-or- "your love of the halflings leaf has clouded something something" sorry i can't remember<P>worst "you have chosen the way of pain"<P>-or- that junk he yells "at" the mountain <BR>cause it wasn't even him!!
Old 11-18-2002, 12:49 PM   #193
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best:<BR>1.) "now perfected... my fighting uruk hai!"-It's really cool.<BR>2.) "...there are none who can."<P>Worst:<BR>1.) "rip them all down." -This line had absolutely no point. it didn't fit with the text. He should have said something like "Do I care?" before he said that line.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:59 PM   #194
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I agree Saruman's best line has to be "Smoke rises from mountain of fire and Gandolf the Grey rides to Isengaurd seeking my council, for that is why you have come my old friend. <P>A line that sort of stuck out is "I have seen it". Just the way he says it sounds odd.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:10 AM   #195
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Saruman's best line was: The nine have left Minas Morgul something and kill the ones who carries that ring or something. I can't remember the whole thing.<P>worst line..... You have elected the way of Pain!<BR>It wasn't so much the words but how he said it, it was kinda weird
Old 11-20-2002, 11:18 AM   #196
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Saruman's Best:<BR>"The Nine have left Minas Morgul. They will find the Ring, and kill the one who carries it."<BR>I just love the way he says "Minas Morgul". I hope they do a good job on that in TTT or RotK, whichever movie it comes in.<P>Saruman's Worst:<BR>"You know of what I speak, Gandalf, an Eye wreathed in flame."<BR>While that line is good in itself, I don't think that Gandalf ever actually saw the Eye in the book.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:28 PM   #197
Pookabunny
Wight

1420!

Anything said by Christopher Lee is solid gold. He could bust out with "Kicking donkeys" and make it sound cool...<P>Saruman's lines certainly are the most memorable.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:31 AM   #198
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Chris Lee could probably have said "My name is Saruman and I am a white wizard and I have turned bad Gandalf, BAD!" and still made it sound good.<P>He is a phenomenal actor.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:48 PM   #199
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My vote for Saruman...<P>Best: Smoke rises from the mountain of Doom, the hour grows late and Gandalf the Gray rides to Isengard seeking my council.<P>Worst: Do you know how the orcs first came in to being?<P>That line just kind of seems wierd to me. I'll give the voting another day and post the results tomorrow.<p>[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #200
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

Saruman's bestest lines: <BR>1)"Yet you did not have the wits to see it. Your love of the Halflings' leaf has clearly slowed your mind."<BR>2)"They will find the ring, and kill the one that carries it."<P>Saruman's worstest lines:<BR>1)"So you have chosen death." (no reason i just don't like it)<p>[ November 24, 2002: Message edited by: Jeli Baggins ]
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote