Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #681
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I really hate to be like this...

Due to a couple of unexpected and slightly complicated yet hopefully and probably not too serious friendship issues, I didn't have time (or energy) to come up with anything for the Mead Hall today. I should have a little time tomorrow, though, and I will write something. If not for both Modtryth and Cnebba, then at least for one of them.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #682
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
RL takes precedence. I hope everything works out OK for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #683
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm sorry to hear that, Folwren. I hope that you will feel better soon.

Awaiting your post with great anticipating, Thinlomien!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 AM   #684
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My characters will choose their games as soon as I can find some time.

There are two more types of games that have not yet been considered, and I think would be natural:

silly games - such as a rope-tie race; tie two people's legs together with a rope and they have to race together ; or egg-spoon race, etc.

skill games - such as who can solder a broken ladle quickest into a usable one - since this is Harreld's expertise, he would be judge of quality instead of a participant. etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #685
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Done.

I thought it makes more sense if Folwren continues for the boys (if just for a few lines, whatever she prefers), as Javan was addressed. Also, I hope that what I said about twigs make sense...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #686
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Archery Erbrand, Crabannan, Garmund, Cnebba, Dan, Eodwine
Horse Racing Erbrand, Eodwine, Rowenna
Racing on foot Erbrand, Garmund, Cnebba, Eodwine
Stone Throwing Garmund, Cnebba, Harreld
Wrestling Crabannan, Dan, Harreld
Dueling Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine
Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld
Javelin Throwing Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Harreld
Riddles Dan, Eodwine
Sack-fight Harreld
Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld
Task-path Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld
Rope-tie race Eodwine, Rowenna
Build a fire
Wheel barrow race
Rope climbing

any other ideas are welcome for consideration. Anybody who wants to respond positively or negatively to my new ideas, please do.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #687
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great post, Thinlomien!

Riddles Dan, Eodwine
Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand
Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld,
Task-path Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld
Rope-tie race Eodwine, Rowenna, Erbrand
Build a fire
Wheel barrow race
Rope climbing Erbrand

I took the liberty of adding Erbrand to some of the newer games that have come up. At first I thought that Erbrand might be too tired to play this many games, but he's really excited and enthusiastic about them and that will give him some stamina. He's also not the type to give up.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 08-19-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #688
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hmm, something like the rope-tie race (which I'm assuming is just a three-legged race) could be done by Kara and Ginna too no?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #689
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dan is going to be very tired...

Riddles Dan, Eodwine
Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan
Task-path Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Dan
Rope-tie race Eodwine, Rowenna, Erbrand
Build a fire Dan
Wheel barrow race
Rope climbing Erbrand

But wouldn't rope climbing be part of the task-path?

And, what about, as Folwren said, boardgames?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #690
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Hmm, something like the rope-tie race (which I'm assuming is just a three-legged race) could be done by Kara and Ginna too no?
Thanks, I couldn't think of the right name for it. Three-legged race it is.

If rope climbing is part of the task path, so be it.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #691
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I might be able to post today, folks.

I'll look at the list and see what my characters would like to do.

-- Folwren
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #692
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Kath, Foley, or Fea, in my last post for Eodwine I left a broad opening for any one of you to post next so as we can move this Saeryn/Degas/Eodwine drama to its next captivating installment. Who would like to go first?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #693
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I will post as soon as I am able, but I do not care of someone goes before me or if I post first.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #694
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Lommy, have you taken over writing Lčodern's character? My first instinct was to write Degas/her in a reactionary post, but I don't want to lift your character from you.

Folwren, I'd rather wait and see what Saeryn has to say before Degas gets long-winded, but it's no biggie if you'd rather me put something up.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #695
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, let's say, first come, first serve, because today has turned out quite different than I thought and I have no idea if I'll be writing anything today or not. I'll try, but that's no promise.

-- Foley
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #696
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Lommy, have you taken over writing Lčodern's character? My first instinct was to write Degas/her in a reactionary post, but I don't want to lift your character from you.
Celuien has graciously given any of us permission to use her characters while she is away. Thus, for the time being, Garstan, Garmund, and Léođern are non-player characters who may be used (with reasonable care) by any who wish to.

And yes, Kath, Ginna, Kara and any other women, even Léođern, can be in the three-legged race.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #697
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Haha! Well in that case I think Degas and Leodern should run a three-legged race together.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #698
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Haha! Well in that case I think Degas and Leodern should run a three-legged race together.
Ha! That would be amusing.

I just got a mental picture of her wrapping herself around his leg while he runs for it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #699
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
I just got a mental picture of her wrapping herself around his leg while he runs for it.
Exactly!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #700
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Character Bio

Since I have already posted for Lithor, and some have already begun to write about his character, I decided to make a character bio for him. Although I will not be writing for him nearly as often as Erbrand, he will be in some of my posts from now on. This is just some information so that he's not known as that random guard that Erbrand hangs out with.

NAME: Lithor

RACE: Rohirrim

WHERE FROM: In a tiny village somewhere in the west Wold.

APPEARANCE: Stands at 6'2 feet tall. He has a thick build, but the most impressive feature of him that stands out are his broad shoulders. He has a nest of thick white hair covering his face; this mixed with his cheerful complexion gives him a grandfatherly appearance.

PERSONALITY: Lithor is a strong hard man, yet he is always laughing, except for when he is thinking, and loves having a good time; quite giddy when excited and is constantly cracking jokes. He loves to tutor those younger or more inexperienced then himself and is not afraid to have his opinion known. He sees things in black and white and has little tolerance for philosophical speech. If he were to be described in a few words it would be this: he's a people person.

STRENGTHS: He lives by a strict code of chivalry and is always the first to volunteer. A strong body and sharp wits when it comes to fighting. Optimistic about the future, especially his, and does his best to help others get what they need.

WEAKNESSES: Arrogance, he has a bloated opinion of himself.

HISTORY: Born to a poor family in the Wold and was one of seven children, due to this he learned to do without the comforts that money could buy. His family was always a happy and bore no grudges towards those who had more than they. He grew up slowly with maturity, but showed great integrity when he started excepting responsibility and decided to stay on and help his parents manage their farm. He was the main source of his parents well being and learned to ride and hunt in order to provide his family with their needs. However, when he was in his mid thirties, a sickness overtook many of the old and young in the town, his parents were among those that died.

Dissatisfied with life alone on the farm, he sold it for a cheap price took his bow and horse and joined the army. He soon showed his worth in battle and in leadership, usually by gaining the friendship of many men. Although he was respected by his comrades and superiors he turned down numerous opportunities to gain higher rank, preferring to wait and be assigned to a more quieter post. He got his wish a few years later when he became part of the garrison at Edoras. There he witnessed the declining of Theoden and the coming of the three hunters. He took part in the desperate struggle at Helm's Deep and of the valiant charge of the Rohirrim at the field of Pellenor.

When the the great war was over he was sent with a group of riders to make sure that the the Wild Men of Dunland would not rise up in rebellion. It was there that his superiors noticed his lack of boldness that had always been a part of his character. When confronted on this matter he simply replied that he had seen enough of killing and war and felt that he deserved a quieter post. Feeling that he would be little use to them now, they sent him to be a member of lord Eodwine's guard at Scarburg, in hopes that he would be of more use in a calmer environment.

Let me know if this is a bit too much. I had fun with this bio!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #701
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Let me know if this is a bit too much. I had fun with this bio!
No such thing as too much when it comes to what you know about your character as a 'person.' The better you know the character, the easier it is to write stories about them.

I mean, isn't it easier to reminisce about an old friend than about somebody you've only met a few times?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #702
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Holy wow.

Just got back and have internet access again... when did this thread get so darn busy?? I seem to have a lot of catching up to do...

I guess I shouldn't complain though.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #703
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nice bio for Lithor, Groin! It's good to know him better. He is actually very much like I imagined him to be, I just got the image that he was 10 or 15 years younger... *dashes off to edit her post a little*
Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #704
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
When the the great war was over he was sent with a group of riders to make sure that the the Wild Men of Dunland would not rise up in rebellion. It was there that his superiors noticed his lack of boldness that had always been a part of his character. When confronted on this matter he simply replied that he had seen enough of killing and war and felt that he deserved a quieter post. Feeling that he would be little use to them now, they sent him to be a member of lord Eodwine's guard at Scarburg, in hopes that he would be of more use in a calmer environment.
This makes it a natural fit for Lithor to have joined Eodwine; there's a chance that they were aware of, even knew each other, for Eodwine was one of those who were charged to bring order to Dunland after the War.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #705
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Wow, Fea, you're doing it again. Masterful post.

I expect to post for Rowenna and Harreld, and perhaps Eodwine, today. Who should follow on Fea's post? Eodwine would feel like he's intruding again. Foley, can you write for Saeryn next?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #706
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah, I can write something.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #707
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Is Rohan under a feudal type stystem? That is, the King has given Lord Eodwine the Mid-Emnet and underneath him are the land holders and beneath them are the serfs? What sort of relationship is Eodwine supposed to have with the other land owners? Is not Degas now a vassal, per say, of Eodwine - now that Degas owns the land in the Folde? So Degas has a sort of allegiance to Eodwine and Eodwine has a responsibility of protection, in a way, for Degas...or am I getting my feudalism all mixed up?

What I want to know is in what way is Eodwine responsible for Degas' land and what happened to it?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #708
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just so y'all know, I'll be gone over the weekend! Folwren, I'd really like to write for Erbrand when I get back, do you think that you could write a post for Javan while I'm gone? If you can I'd very much appreciate it, and I look forward to reading everyone else's posts as well.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #709
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, yes, a post will be up for Javan before you get back. Sorry it's taken me so long to get to it as it is.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #710
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
So Degas has a sort of allegiance to Eodwine and Eodwine has a responsibility of protection, in a way, for Degas...or am I getting my feudalism all mixed up?
The way I was seeing it was that they're sort of like... neighbors? Both physically and more metaphorically.

Obviously I could be completely wrong. This is what comes of me jumping head first without getting my facts straight.

Does Eodwine have say over Degas? In a more-than-peer sort of way?

The way I saw it was more like Eodwine has equal (perhaps greater) but separate power/influence, and that Degas would go to him as an adviser out of friendship and trust more than out of obligation.

Elempi? Help!?

If I post a basic sort of non-informative Degas post, can you follow it up with whatever reaction of Eodwine's would be appropriate? Whether "Since this is my responsibility too, may I please join you?" or "I'll just stay out of the way unless invited, and let you do your lord thing. Let me know if you need anything."
Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #711
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

It looks like I have a free morning tomorrow, so I'll try to get something up especially for Scyld. Maybe Leof too.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #712
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

For whenever Groin gets back

Hey, Groin! I posted for Javan, and Erbrand can say anything or do anything before they head back up to camp. I didn't want to move them along before you were ready.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #713
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Hey, Groin! I posted for Javan, and Erbrand can say anything or do anything before they head back up to camp. I didn't want to move them along before you were ready.
Thanks a bunch, Folwren. Though I'm kind of disappointed with the way that my post turned out (I wait this long to write a bad post). I'll have more time to spend on my next one. I'm off to give some reputations.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #714
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If Rohan indeed is a feudal society - which I think it kind of is (feel free to disagree) - then it would be that lord Eodwine is also Degas' lord. All the landowners are subordinate to their lord who in turns answers to the king of his district. Basically the landowners pay in goods, services or with money and are obliged to send a number of men to arms i dire need. The lord protects the landowners with his men at arms, makes judgement on matters of dispute etc. You all know this I think.

But that feudal system doesn't mean the landlord and a landowner couldn't become close or even friends or that there couldn't be different relations between the landlord and his different "vassals". And surely on Degas' situation the relationship is particularly interesting. Still if Eodwine is going to give Degas noticeably different rights than to others the other landowners would grumble to be sure.

It was indeed part of the original plan (at least some of them) that one source of different plot-lines could emerge from at least some of the mightiest landowners not being too pleased with the King's presence via the Mead Hall in the area they have used to run between themselves.

-----
I think Stigend and Modryth might take part in the three legged race, as well as Cnebba and Garmund. And if Modryth declines then it should be Stigend and Garstan - so fathers vs. their sons...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #715
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for that insightful post, Nogrod. Although I pictured Rohan's government to be similar it helps to have people spell it out. I also like the idea about the landowner thing. We could possibly turn that into a minor rebellion of the surfs!

Riddles Dan, Eodwine
Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan
Task-path Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Dan
Rope-tie race Eodwine, Rowenna, Erbrand, Stigend, Modryth, Cnebba, Garmund
Build a fire Dan
Wheel barrow race
Rope climbing Erbrand

OK, I've added your characters to the list, Nogrod.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #716
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Don't forget Leof in the horse racing!

Yet to be determined if Scyld/Nydfara will enter dagger-throwing. It's always been a skill he was keen to hide...
Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #717
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I think Stigend and Modryth might take part in the three legged race, as well as Cnebba and Garmund. And if Modryth declines then it should be Stigend and Garstan - so fathers vs. their sons...
Nah, she would do no games. She's just roll her eyes at such nonsense and let Stigend compete with his friend... So Groin please, replace Modtryth with Garstan. (Besides, I think that will be quite funny... )
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #718
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

And add in Kara and Ginna to the three-legged if you would, I'll check with Lhuna that I can use Ginna. Frodides will be with Modtryth on the eye rolling.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #719
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
I also like the idea about the landowner thing. We could possibly turn that into a minor rebellion of the surfs!
Yes, and we all know what happened King Canute of England tried to command the waves...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #720
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I think it's time I decided what games my characters are taking part in.

Archery Javan, Thornden
Horse Racing Javan
Racing on foot
Stone Throwing
Wrestling
Dueling Thornden
Quarterstaff-fight Thornden
Javelin Throwing Thornden
Riddles Javan
Sack-fight
Dagger-throwing Saeryn
Task-path Javan
Rope-tie race Javan, Saeryn
Build a fire Saeryn
Wheel barrow race Javan
Rope climbing

I've got a couple questions about certain things.

What is a Sack fight?
What will people be dueling with? Were practice swords decided upon?
What is included in the Task-path (is that relay race of sorts?)
Is Stone Throwing a contest to see who can throw the largest stone or who can aim most accurately with a stone?