The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #361
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Belegorn is the 4th Steward of Gondor. I forgot why I chose it, but it means Mighty Tree in Sindarin.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #362
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Turns out I haven't replied on this thread.

Aganzir means death love in Adűnaic. I had an RPG character by that name when I was 14-ish, which is also when I started frequenting forums and chatrooms. The character was left behind long ago but the name stuck, and it's still very appropriate for me.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #363
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
It's what Gollum calls fish
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #364
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

haha, maybe juicy, I doubt sweet.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #365
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
haha, maybe juicy, I doubt sweet.
Read Gollum’s poem “Alive without breath” which ends with the lines (with emphasis by me):
We only wish
to catch a fish
               so juicy-sweet!
For the whole poem, see http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...5&postcount=18

Juicy-Sweet is one of the newer members on this site and does not post a great deal, but she is one whose posts are not to be doubted without reason.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #366
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Pretty much self-explanatory. Though, I'm not entirely sure why I chose Galadriel when my favourite character is Maglor. Maybe it was my attraction to Lórien.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #367
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallanite View Post
Read Gollum’s poem “Alive without breath” which ends with the lines (with emphasis by me):
We only wish
to catch a fish
               so juicy-sweet!
For the whole poem, see http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...5&postcount=18

Juicy-Sweet is one of the newer members on this site and does not post a great deal, but she is one whose posts are not to be doubted without reason.
You misunderstand. I was just referring to fish being juicy, not sweet, & not denying that Gollum referred to fish as juicy-sweet. I probably should have said, "they may be juicy..."

Last edited by Belegorn; 11-24-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Belegorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #368
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Im pretty sure mine is Adunic for Jason.
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Last edited by Yregwyn; 07-19-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #369
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Aganzir means death love in Adűnaic. I had an RPG character by that name when I was 14-ish, which is also when I started frequenting forums and chatrooms. The character was left behind long ago but the name stuck, and it's still very appropriate for me.
So I was googling my screenname (because is there anything better you can do on a Monday night, no? - and because a presumably Slovakian person has adopted my name for video games and I like to stalk them occasionally) and found a crackpot book about Sumerian gods and aliens. Apparently Anganzir = first night, first darkness; and Agenzer (darkness) and Ganzir (the world of the dead) were derived from it.

Not complaining.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #370
Orphalesion
Animated Skeleton

Orphalesion has just left Hobbiton.
Hey cool thread!

Okay, my name has nothing to do with Lotr. But with a very beautiful prose poetry/philosophy book called "The Prophet" by the Lebanese author Kahlil Gibran. I am neither Lebanese nor a follower of the Islamic faith, but I was given the book by a friend.
It is very melancholic and beautiful, the titular Prophet Almustafar has lived in the city of Orphalese for many years and prepares to return to his home. On the way to his ship, he discusses philosophy with a group of people.
To me it always seemed the "journey home" of Almustarfar was a metaphor for his death and he tried to impart his wisdom on others before passing on.

I also fell in love with the name Orphalese and want to use it as a name for a city, somewhere, somehow.
Orphalesion cam from Orphalesian (which I presumed a citizen of Orphalese would be called in modern English, though Orphalesan would have also worked) and then changed the a into an o for aesthetic reasons.
Theoretically it could be semi Quenya/Sindarin for "son of Orphalese"
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #371
Tar-Jęx
Wight

Tar-Jęx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

When I was young, I was playing some of those classic stock Windows games on a 98, and when I finished a game, it asked me to put in a name. I randomly hit the keyboard and Jex appeared. That stuck with me.
The circumflex e is used in Welsh (uncommon) and is a long, stressed e, like in air.

Tar, as we know, was the prefix used for kings of Númenor, and my personality matches that of a leader/dictator, so I decided that it was fitting in the context of Tolkien.
Tar-Jęx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #372
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dűm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I picked this name for no particular reason, really. No deeper meaning behind it. I probably just liked the way it sounds and was in a hurry.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #373
Axbolt
Pile O'Bones

Axbolt has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It's just my radio name. It sounds cool.
Feel a bit left out! Everyone else has some well thought out elvish name or something
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #374
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Literally, my name is the Quenya words for 'shadow' and 'eagle' smooshed together into something that's surprisingly hard to pronounce ('hui' not coming naturally to the English-speaking tongue). My usual translation is 'Eagleshade' these days. More figuratively?

It means the moment when you feel a shadow pass over you, and look up to see the great wings of a Messenger flying on some grand errand.

It means the servant of the West who keeps to the shadows, dark-feathered and secret-hearted, but still ever faithful.

It means the black murk where even the Eagles dare not go, the darkness that you can taste on every breath as it oozes into you.

(It means I was at least bright enough to pick two words from the same language, even if they don't exactly sit together that well...)

Ultimately, pretty much exclusively on the internet as far as I know, Huinesoron means... me. Hi. ^_^

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #375
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
Always been a fan of the easterlings especially the whole Balchoth and wainriders. The image is the one from Peter Jackson's two towers(which was a pretty awesome depiction of the most elite of the easterlings).
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #376
Saurondil
Animated Skeleton

Saurondil has just left Hobbiton.
Saurondil = “friend of Sauron”. I wanted something simple, that I could remember, and a bit unusual.
Saurondil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #377
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am hobbitlike, but also a lover of elves with a strong dash of Took. And I like the name Pervinca.

I'm sure I'm not the only Downer with a hobbit name, but I seem to be the only one who's a regular poster.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #378
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Name

I have seen this thread appear on top over the years since 2004, and for some reason thought I had replied to it somewhere. But I scrolled through 10 pages and nothing. Anyway... Snowdog. It was a moniker I started using when I first got online and in to ye olde BBS. My email has been Snowdog something since 1994. The reason I used it was I wrote a novel back in the 1970's based on the tale told on the band Rush's 2nd album, By-Tor & The Snowdog. When I first got onto message boards (EZ board?) in '99, I used the name. I think I registered on Barrow Downs in its EZ board days but didn't particapate much. Anyway, it's still my email, and its still my user name here, Entmoot, and Minas Tirith. Snowdog has been banned from The One Ring.Com for 15 years now.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #379
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I remember the Entmoot bulletin board, from long ago, but thought it had disappeared. Just googled and found it again. Glad it's back/still around.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #380
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
I have seen this thread appear on top over the years since 2004, and for some reason thought I had replied to it somewhere. But I scrolled through 10 pages and nothing. Anyway... Snowdog. It was a moniker I started using when I first got online and in to ye olde BBS. My email has been Snowdog something since 1994. The reason I used it was I wrote a novel back in the 1970's based on the tale told on the band Rush's 2nd album, By-Tor & The Snowdog. When I first got onto message boards (EZ board?) in '99, I used the name. I think I registered on Barrow Downs in its EZ board days but didn't particapate much. Anyway, it's still my email, and its still my user name here, Entmoot, and Minas Tirith. Snowdog has been banned from The One Ring.Com for 15 years now.
I suppose you'd like someone to ask what you *did*?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 AM   #381
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I suppose you'd like someone to ask what you *did*?
Hear, hear. You can't throw that out and not deliver.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #382
Eldy
Pile O'Bones

Eldy has just left Hobbiton.
"Son of the star-land" in Sindarin. It was the name of a role-playing character I briefly played on the LOTR Plaza many years ago. I remember the RPing with some embarrassment but the name stuck, though typically abbreviated to Eldo.
Eldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #383
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
Two parts-the charioteer part is in reference to the wainriders and Rhun is of course a reference to Rhun.

My screen avatar is a depiction of a Rhunish soldier from Jackson's two towers-I always liked Jackson's interpretation of easterling forces-good if somewhat fancy looking armor, discipline, devotion to Sauron(you can hear them chanting), with halberds and poleaxes.

Out of all the unexplored areas of middle earth Rhun has always struck me as fascinating.

Edit: Already posted on this thread and forgot-well this is just a more detailed explanation.

Last edited by Rhun charioteer; 06-16-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 AM   #384
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
Two parts-the charioteer part is in reference to the wainriders and Rhun is of course a reference to Rhun.

My screen avatar is a depiction of a Rhunish soldier from Jackson's two towers-I always liked Jackson's interpretation of easterling forces-good if somewhat fancy looking armor, discipline, devotion to Sauron(you can hear them chanting), with halberds and poleaxes.

Out of all the unexplored areas of middle earth Rhun has always struck me as fascinating.

Edit: Already posted on this thread and forgot-well this is just a more detailed explanation.
At least you didn't contradict yourself...

There is always room for elaboration and afterthoughts.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #385
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hear, hear. You can't throw that out and not deliver.
Come on, Snowdog, you've kept everyone in suspense for over eight months!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #386
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Come on, Snowdog, you've kept everyone in suspense for over eight months!
It is exhilarating...

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #387
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It is exhilarating...
If he ever does come out with it, it'd better be spectacular.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #388
Merrymatt
Pile O'Bones

Merrymatt has just left Hobbiton.
My name is rather obivious choice; it’s the same name as my old Edain mod account before i deleted it. Although originally I had plans on using a name in Black Speech to match my beautiful icon...

As you can tell by my icon, I’m more of an orc than hobbit, despite what my name implies
Merrymatt is offline   Reply With Quote