The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #3961
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
East, Pervinca.
It's the heat ....
Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 AM   #3962
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
1. FREDA - Morwen's daughter, sent away - A hobbit disenvowelled by everything - First contact (for many) (LotR: TTT (Movie))
2. E - Lorien's unwitting betrayer - The classic dawn bird - The world turned upside-down
3. MIKA MILOVANA - Mrs. Bilbo - A shiny rock, or perhaps a bit more like me - The first of its kind (ever) (The 1966 Hobbit film)
4. ADUNAPHEL - The only female Nazgul - I'm out, I tripped (accented) - Under the iron crown (Iron Crown Enterprises' MERP)
5. LITHARIEL - The princess of the shore - A Latin rock, an Elvish maid - Darkness in the darkness (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
6. EVANGELINE LILLY'S TAURIEL - Legolas' first best friend, but in real life... - Not a Maia, not a flower, and definitely not genderbent Orome - Just below Erebor (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)
Pulling it onto the page.

The final source is the only non-licensed source on the list; it made the news a few years back, when it appeared in English translation. The character is mentioned on its Wikipedia page, but her name can also be constructed if you imagine what a paleontologist would call a genus she wanted to name 'Dawn Bird'.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #3963
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Pulling it onto the page.

The final source is the only non-licensed source on the list; it made the news a few years back, when it appeared in English translation. The character is mentioned on its Wikipedia page, but her name can also be constructed if you imagine what a paleontologist would call a genus she wanted to name 'Dawn Bird'.

hS
I believe you're referring to that Russian parody/fan-fic/whatever? Now what was it called...?

Edit: "The Last Ringbearer" and the character is EORNIS.

Last edited by Nerwen; 07-03-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #3964
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dingdingding!

1. FREDA - Morwen's daughter, sent away - A hobbit disenvowelled by everything - First contact (for many) (LotR: TTT (Movie))
2. EORNIS - Lorien's unwitting betrayer - The classic dawn bird - The world turned upside-down (The Last Ringbearer)
3. MIKA MILOVANA - Mrs. Bilbo - A shiny rock, or perhaps a bit more like me - The first of its kind (ever) (The 1966 Hobbit film)
4. ADUNAPHEL - The only female Nazgul - I'm out, I tripped (accented) - Under the iron crown (Iron Crown Enterprises' MERP)
5. LITHARIEL - The princess of the shore - A Latin rock, an Elvish maid - Darkness in the darkness (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
6. EVANGELINE LILLY'S TAURIEL - Legolas' first best friend, but in real life... - Not a Maia, not a flower, and definitely not genderbent Orome - Just below Erebor (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

[Theme: Female characters added in non-Tolkien works]

Hesperornis ('Western Bird') is a Cretaceous aquatic bird; Enantiornis and Ichthyornis date from around the same time.

And... Pervinca Took guessed the password, so you're up!

hS

(PS: It's not often you find a list where TTT-M is the entry most faithful to Tolkien's writings...)

Last edited by Huinesoron; 07-03-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #3965
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well done, Nerwen! And well done with another very tough set of clues, Hs. You are certainly teaching me new things!

I have a couple ready, but my laptop is at home, so I can't post one until tonight.

EDIT: PAGE 100! It says something about the scope and skill of Tolkien, that we are on page 100 of a thread devoted to creating and solving often cryptic clues about his works. I doubt if there are many other writers (if any) whose works one could do that with.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-03-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #3966
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
EDIT: PAGE 100! It says something about the scope and skill of Tolkien, that we are on page 100 of a thread devoted to creating and solving often cryptic clues about his works. I doubt if there are many other writers (if any) whose works one could do that with.
Hear hear! Consider also that we don't even think of "anything Tolkien-related" as being enough of a theme anymore, since it's so broad.

Dare I request an anniversary password?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #3967
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What do you have in mind? I didn't write the two I have with the thought of an anniversary. I knew we were getting near to page 100, but hadn't realised quite how close we were. And I hadn't thought of marking the occasion with a 'special' password.

If I can't think of a special password straight away, maybe the next password setter can. Failing that, page eleventy-one isn't all that far off, either.

The next password is special to *me*, though.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-03-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #3968
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

And here it is!

1. Tess’s kindest boss. Empty location?
2. He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
3. See the fairies’ midwife dance backwards – a measure of the place!
4. Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.
5. Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.
6. A blow is dealt to the lazy morning in confusion here.
7. Scans scattered around amongst a shop in transit here.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #3969
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
2. The wife who turns back - possibly the biblical wife of Lot, which would productively give us Tol S...? Tol Sirion? No "irion" that means ocean.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #3970
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. Crickhollow. A little bit of recap reminded me that Tess of the d'Urberville's dairy farm employer was Crick.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #3971
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CRICKHOLLOW: Tess’s kindest boss. Empty location?
2. He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
5. Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.

Indeed - Dairyman Crick/All the week/On Sundays Mister Richard Crick, plus 'hollow' for empty. (Although I believe her first boss - Alec D'Urberville's *mother*, was kind enough too).

LOT = TOL is correct as an element of 2, but it isn't Sirion to follow.

I guess you have (correctly) provided an S for 'Saruman initially,' but there's another bit before that.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-04-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #3972
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#2 could be TOL FALAS (or Tolfalas), with falas being Sindarin for 'shore' ('meets the ocean').

... no, hang on, it's TOL ERESSEA: Tol + ere S, sea.

hS

EDIT: #5 is striking me as a non-cryptic clue for the Prancing Pony, which definitely had a non-impenetrable stable.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #3973
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct!

TOL ERESSEA: He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
THE PRANCING PONY: Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #3974
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

3. Bamfurlong, again with the help of a google search.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #3975
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TOL ERESSEA: He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
BAMFURLONG: See the fairies’ midwife dance backwards – a measure of the place!
THE PRANCING PONY: Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.

Yes. (Queen) Mab, backwards, plus 'furlong' (a measure of length/distance).
Old 07-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #3976
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Okay, I'm going to give a guess of REFUGES for the password, and a stab at HENNETH ANNUN for #4 based primarily on it fitting that description and containing the letter U. It also has the letters for 'nan' (bread), so I can at least see a possibility of it fitting the clue.

hS
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #3977
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Password: REFUGES

Correct password!

You are also correct with NAN for the flatbread element, but Henneth Annun is the wrong refuge.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #3978
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

NAN ELMOTH? It's got the tree, but is there a village called Oth? Google doesn't think so.

... oh, wait, no U. Which means it can't be Nan-tasarion, either.

Hmm.

hS
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #3979
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Both wrong, I'm afraid.

If it makes it easier, the theme is less broad than the password and is only *particular* refuges.

There is also an 'odd one out' amongst them.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #3980
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well they're all so far hobbit refuges, including Tol Eressea as Frodo and Bilbo's final refuge from the world and its burdens. I don't know if Nan Curunir counts as a refuge.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #3981
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nan Curunir is not one of the answers.

Nan doesn't have to *start* the answer!

They are all places where the Ringbearer found refuge. Tol Eressea is the odd one out because it's the only exclusively post-quest refuge.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #3982
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
LAURELINDÓRENAN for #4? "Laurel" is self-explanatory, but I don't know about the rest. "Indore" is a city in India, but is there a Yorkshire village with such a name? Google is no help.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:44 AM   #3983
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LAURELINDORENAN: Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.

Specific theme: places where the Ringbearer took/was offered refuge.

For shame, Nerwen! I know you wanted to see Middle-earth and rule your own realm, but surely you haven't forgotten LAURELIN?

There is a large village called DORE, which used to be in Derbyshire but is now in South Yorkshire. If there is an Indian takeaway or restaurant there, and you ordered NAN there with your meal, or you lived there and made one yourself, you could call it a DORE NAN!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-07-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #3984
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

There aren't that many options left, surely?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #3985
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
There aren't that many options left, surely?
Rivendell? Weathertop? Henneth Anun? Bombadil's house?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #3986
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

None of the above names. One of the above places.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #3987
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Plus another is close, but I would not call that specific place a refuge.

6 is composed from two fairly easy synonyms.

7 is composed from two perhaps somewhat harder synonyms.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #3988
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Another hint (or more a point to make it fairer for all) - the shop you need for number 7 appears a lot in Europe, and I checked online and I believe it is in Australia and the USA too. But I don't think there are any in Canada.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-17-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #3989
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

#6: ITHILIEN is an anagram of HIT + LIE IN.

#7: IMLADRIS is an anagram of MRIs + ALDI... but I have no idea where 'in transit' comes from.

Only got these because you'd narrowed the field down to four locations. ^_^

hS
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #3990
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Correct! Well done, Huinesoron.

'In transit' was because the letters of ALDI had to go into transit, as well as the letters of MRIS needing to be scattered.

LAURELINDORENAN: Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.
ITHILIEN: A blow is dealt to the lazy morning in confusion here.
IMLADRIS: Scans scattered around amongst a shop in transit here.

Specific theme: places where the Ringbearer took/was offered refuge.

Crickhollow was the one I wasn't quite sure qualified as a refuge, as Frodo had bought it rather than been offered sanctuary there. (He did take refuge there, though - from the road. His quest had begun and he had already (unknowingly) seen or sensed a Nazgul or two).

I think the idea of making it just the Ringbearer's places of refuge might have come from that piece of literary criticism that said that Frodo needed digging out of about 6 Homely Houses before he even got to Elrond's.

Well done everyone, and over to Huinesoron.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-19-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #3991
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Nice! Tricky, but that's what we come here for.

This one took me quite a while to make work; I suspect it's been done before in some form, but I'm still pleased I found some version that hung together.

1. A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

hS
Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #3992
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. Aragorn ... most of 'arrogant' for 'haughty' ... 'gorn' for where he was going?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 AM   #3993
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

1. A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. A RAGORN - Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

Indeed! Off to a good start.

(All right, I was actually just slurring 'Arrogan' to get his name, with 'knows where he's going' as a straight clue. But your version was so good I decided to claim it was my idea all along. ^_~)

hS
Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #3994
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hmmm ... that was the only easy one, though!

As for number 1, 'Who' might give us 'Hu-' - but fool?

Unless the 'Time' part could be AM.

SAMWISE chooses in the Haunted Pass. His name has AM and means half-wise.

I think you can guess that I'm not very confident with this one.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #3995
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

The answer is not SAMWISE, but Samwise is the second half of the answer. You've got the fool (I feel a bit mean saying that), but where's the Time Lord?

hS
Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #3996
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I guess it would have to be in the form Ban or Sam, then. Or Berhael, IIRC from when he and his master were being praised with great praise.

I wonder if the Time Lord is one of the Valar - but none of them are really in charge of time. Not even Mandos.

I found a list of Time Lords, and Andred and Androgar are the most Tolkienian-sounding ones. I can't really stick Sam or Ban on the end of either, though.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #3997
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

No, you're overthinking it (like I can talk!). The second half of the answer is 'SAMWISE', and the Time Lord is a Time Lord.

hS
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #3998
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh! MASTER SAMWISE.

The Master is a Time Lord.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #3999
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm going to have a guess at MERIADOC for the password, because I think the theme might be members of the Fellowship.

Not that any of the other Fellowship members fit, initial-wise.

Errrrr ...

Maybe the theme is leaders. If Meriadoc is right, that gives us a king, a mayor and a Master of Buckland.

EDIT:

6. Dwarf-Lord?
7. Oropher?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 07-19-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 AM   #4000
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

1. M ASTER SAMWISE - A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. E - Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. R - Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. I - In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. A RAGORN - Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. D WARF - Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. O - Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. C - Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

[Theme: Members of the Fellowship]

You're on fire! I'll happily give you 'Dwarf' for #6 (the actual phrase in my notes is 'Dwarf of Durin's line', because I really wanted the D to be Durin... but it wasn't, so 'Dwarf' it is), but I can't put Oropher in for #7 - he definitely wasn't in the Fellowship.

hS