The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #761
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

We still need one more player to draw!! Even if you've already played earlier in the game, it doesn't matter. Anyone want to do a picture?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #762
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

If someone who hasn't taken part in this round wants it, s/he should take it, but if there is such person, I'm willing to take the turn. I was the second one this round (if you discount Hookbill) so I should have sufficiently little idea what's going on...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #763
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
If someone who hasn't taken part in this round wants it, s/he should take it, but if there is such person, I'm willing to take the turn. I was the second one this round (if you discount Hookbill) so I should have sufficiently little idea what's going on...
I will leave it open until tomorrow. If no one else has put themselves forward by then, I'll PM you the sentence, Lommy, and we can get this monstrosity on the road again.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #764
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, Lommy, it looks like you're up!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #765
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Okay, Lommy, it looks like you're up!
Haha, alright. I hope I can do it this weekend but I'm slightly busy. You should get it on Monday at the latest...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #766
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Eye

I'm ready now... so only one more person to go and it's ready!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #767
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Does anyone know what has happened to The Might? First he can't draw a picture, then he vanishes into the night... If I get no reply from him by the end of tomorrow I'll post up the Telephone call as it stands. It's not fair on the rest of you to make you wait around too long. Although, I will say this P-T would probably have been the most insane EVER if we'd done doubles.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #768
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Does anyone know what has happened to The Might? First he can't draw a picture, then he vanishes into the night... If I get no reply from him by the end of tomorrow I'll post up the Telephone call as it stands.
Maybe we should beat him up with a real phone. . .or a carrot! That would teach him. . .something.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #769
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'll take the carrot, thank you and sorry for my absence but as I said when I explained why I cannot draw, at the time I have so little free time...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #770
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

It is here and it is crazy! Part 1

This is what it looked like:

(Hookbill) - Write
Rune Son of Bjarne - Draw
Thinlómien - Write
Aganzir - Draw
Beregond - Write
Nogrod - Draw
Legate of Amon Lanc - Write
Oddwen - Draw
The Elf-warrior - Write
Volo - draw
Kitanna - write
Eönwë - Draw
Finduilas - write
THE Ka - Draw
Rikae - Write
A Little Green - Draw
Holbytlass- Write
Lommy - Draw
The Might – Write

The government had stolen my brain. So all we got as a starting sentence was this garglemesh…

“The Entings had no idea who he was or WHAT he was doing.”

Rune shot three tramps and then got down to business…

Lommy’s problems were just beginning. What with the court case, the massive explosions and the invaders from space…

“Treebeard and Fimbrethil are not amused when the giant hippie-Pippin appears in Fangorn with his floorball equipment and a radical traffic sign”

Aganzir found it hard to believe… obviously…

Beregond shot The Barrow Wight Himself in the leg. When he got out of prison, he wrote this.

"High" on ent draught, peace promotin' 70s Hobbit interrupts a reunion of Ent and Entwife to play forest hockey.

Nogrod was forced to eat his own television… Which would explain the picture…

Legate’s family disowned him because of this sentence… So you’d better appreciate it!

Hermione Granger damaged several Huorns while playing curling crossed with squash for Hippie Hobbits Team.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #771
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Oddwen fell down into the mud and there she found a picture…

The Elf Warrior fought off hoards of baked beans. No one really knows why…

The murder of Mr. Onion by Frodo and a Rohan man was witnessed by Quickbeam, his wife, and some others.

Volo’s mind was captured by seagulls. And the Beatles.

Even with Kitanna’s best efforts, the craziness could not be contained…

Phantom and Alien observe as an Ent sports new Nikes and Frodo talks to a giant turnip while the King of the Dead sneaks up behind him

Eönwë found the time to throw beans at passing ducks. From the mayhem we managed to get this picture…

Finduilas felt like a new summer’s day. We soon put a stop to that…

"The Kind of the Dead snuck up on Frodo as he kindly offered the Ring to a large turnip. A friendly Ent, who disliked Alien to a large degree, hides this entire transaction from the Phantom and Alien."

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 05-28-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #772
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

THE Ka found it hard to comprehend… So she got some professor to explain it to her.

Rikae’s task proved something of an adventure… well, not really…

Rikae's prophecy for Phantom and Alien: the Barrow-wight will narrowly prevent Frodo from trading the ring to a radish for a car battery with one of his "hugs of kindness".

A Little Green was a little annoyed… Gah! I did it again! Stupid puns…

Holbytlass had to climb a mountain to write this… Because that’s where all the pens were…

A puzzled Phantom and Alien look upon sage Galadriel's mirror and see a hobbit, an elf and a cloaked thing in the midst of a "yard sale”

Lommy ran to the rescue of this quickly dying telephone call… Although, we weren’t expecting this kind of help…

The Might just might have miss read what might be a mighty might… Yes…

Galadriel, Phantom and Alien look into the mirror and see Galadriel and Alien beating Phantom with sticks somewhere in the Shire.

Thus ends another Paper Telephone. Will there be another? Only time will tell. Quick! To the Time Machine!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #773
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I must say this was a good one. . .I was quite suprised by the general standard of it.

Aganzir's drawing was not only good it also made me laugh out loud, which is not something I do a lot when looking at these tings.

Also Lommy's sentence was good. . .And let me say that I am quite pleased with the length of the sentences, some of them are still longer than I like them. . .but this game is all about individuality and as long as it is kept on this level, then I am pleased.

Another reason I am pleased with them is because people have made an efford to make a humoristic twist on them, rather than just making a stricktly emperic observasion. . .

Also. . .I say this all the time, but I absolutely loved the drawing that The Ka produced, it is quite simply pure class.

I also like Lommy's drawing alot.

Oh and Legate, I think it looks more like John Lennon than Hermione.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #774
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Wow Lommy! That last pic was just a masterpiece!

Volo's Rohanian man and Quickbeam were hilarious.

And Hermione Granger?

Crazy as ever... a squash appears from nowhere and turns into an onion just to be labelled a turnip that is after all a radish... and everything's forgotten in the end.

Fun!

EDIT: And I fully agree with Rune. This was a classy round indeed!

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-28-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #775
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Another excellent round! Such masterpieces (well, not mine, but...)

PS. Sign me up for the next one (if there is one).
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #776
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Aganzir's drawing was not only good it also made me laugh out loud, which is not something I do a lot when looking at these tings.
Thanks. Glad to be of some amusement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Also. . .I say this all the time, but I absolutely loved the drawing that The Ka produced, it is quite simply pure class.
Me too. That king of the dead is just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Wow Lommy! That last pic was just a masterpiece!
Seconded. I didn't know Lommy can draw so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Another excellent round! Such masterpieces (well, not mine, but...
Actually, I found your picture funny.

I agree with everyone who said this round was excellent. There were not only good pictures, but also the sentences were better than average. Especially The Elf-Warrior and Rikae's sentences amused me.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #777
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Tentacle Rikae!

Scary.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #778
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

After looking at the drawings again I find it amusing to see how the first three drawings are quite close to one another and it is not until Oddwen's drawing that it start spirraling out of hand.

It must have been funny for Lommy to get that sentence, when thinking back on the drawing I gave her. . .

Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #779
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hah! Great round guys!

I love Aganzir's entwined Ents...and of course, Ka's and Lommy's pictures as well.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #780
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I love this crazy round! But however fine the other pictures are, I must say Nogrod's was simply the best. It is hilarious! I just laughed so much. THE Ka and Agan keep astonishing with their drawing skills - and both their pictures were very funny too, and Ka's treewoman is just gorgeous. Also, I can't believe it how similar Agan's and Rune's pictures are. It is scary. Also, many of the sentences were very funny - actually almost all of them. Rikae's and Legate's amused me the most, though. Oh, this was great. I'm up for the next one, and prefer drawing - although writing is fine too.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #781
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Wonderful round, simply wonderful! Be proud of yourselves, everyone!

Oh, and sign me for the next one, please.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #782
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Haha, that was really all too funny sometimes But really, fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Oh and Legate, I think it looks more like John Lennon than Hermione.
A matter of opinion. Even then I am not sure if Lennon had more hairy legs than Hermione

Well, as for next turn, if my round is possible to be done until the last week in June... I don't mind adding some more obligations to the already overflowing exam time
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #783
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Another reason I am pleased with them is because people have made an efford to make a humoristic twist on them, rather than just making a stricktly emperic observasion. . .
That's because it's always fun being devious with the plot, and I probably couldn't play paper telephone if it became 'paper dictaphone'.

I like the car battery touch everyone, awesome! No, I'm not saying what's inside the 'battery', that's an Alien secret.

First of all, have to say thanks to Finduilas for the sentence. Really liked the fact of not only drawing a soothsaying ent, but 'Kind' of the dead and the phantom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Ka's treewoman is just gorgeous.
Awh, thank you. I love drawing ents, and they always look lovely in the end.

Lommy's is beautiful and in charcoal! You're an overachiever, you know that?

Volo's though, hmm, how can I say this... scarred me a bit, which is a good thing really.

I love Agan's ents, especially their faces. Though the hippie Pippin is breathtaking and made me snort. Another good thing.

Classy then, eh Rune? I feel so priviledged now...
Also, a good job to you too for starting out a drawing for this, I don't think I could manage to be in that position without spending an eon thinking of what crazy thing to put in the picture.

Awesome work everyone, really. I know I was missing something from the Downs, glad to draw again with you all.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 AM   #784
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Looking at this again, I really love the THE Ka changed it from being an evil King of the Dead, to one giving out free hugs of kindness. And obviously she has a quite beautiful ent there. I loved Aganzir's- one of, if not the best drawing in this round. Lommy's is also fantastic.

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-30-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #785
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
Lommy's is beautiful and in charcoal! You're an overachiever, you know that?
Thank you very much but actually, it isn't in charcoal: just a very soft pen and then *cough* some editing with a camera program (adding contrast and darkness, partly just for compensating the not-so-good quality of the picture, as I took a photo of the drawing instead of scanning it). (And by the way I wanted to do with charcoal but I had already started with the pens so I let it be...)
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #786
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
I love Agan's ents, especially their faces. Though the hippie Pippin is breathtaking and made me snort. Another good thing.
Thank you. I'm not sure how good a thing it is to laugh even myself while drawing, but this time it happened.

And despite listening to Lommy's 5-minute-long story just the previous night about how she drew the picture and then edited it with computer, I still thought "so she did it with charcoal like she had planned" when I saw it... (a good friend & listener that I am)

Who is going to mod the next round? I'd like to, err, draw.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #787
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Not sure who will mod the next one... If any Wight wants to take it, be mt guest.

Here are the people who have said their peace... I mean, said they want to be part of this madness again...

Eönwë (write)
Thinlómien (draw)
Volo
Legate of Amon Lanc
Aganzir (draw)
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Elf-warrior (write)
Beregond
Nogrod
Oddwen

I'll sort out the order when we have a full compliment of players. Who else wants to be a part of this? Be warned! Your health will be fatally affected.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-09-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #788
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I do not have time to manage the next one, but I would not mind participating.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #789
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Please can I write this time, good Sir Goomba. And even though my name is all nicely at the top, I don't think I'll be able to manage it. I'll leave it to the experts.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #790
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
I'd also like to write.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #791
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Thank you very much but actually, it isn't in charcoal: just a very soft pen and then *cough* some editing with a camera program (adding contrast and darkness, partly just for compensating the not-so-good quality of the picture, as I took a photo of the drawing instead of scanning it). (And by the way I wanted to do with charcoal but I had already started with the pens so I let it be...)
Ah huh... Okay, for all of that you are even more of an over-achiever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
I still thought "so she did it with charcoal like she had planned" when I saw it... (a good friend & listener that I am)
Don't worry, I've been in that situation too many times with my friends. Though, being the oldest has its charms of being 'senile'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe
I really love the THE Ka changed it from being an evil King of the Dead, to one giving out free hugs of kindness.
Thanks!
Well, a little sentence told me he was 'Kind of the Dead', which, he could have been a zombie instead being only 'kinda dead'.

I'd love to sign up for another paper telephone, but my plate is so full at the moment unfortunately between graduation, finals, work and well, WW (that's a job too... I presume). Maybe next time, once I've been killed off by Agan in some amazing feat in WW.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #792
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Great telephone call, people; it took some unusual plot twists for a one-rounder!

You can sign me up for the next one, please. Write or flight...I mean, write or draw, whichever proves more useful.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 AM   #793
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Hmm... We need a few more players, even for doubles, I'd say.
Okay... If we can get four more people we could do a good doubles round. Any more than that, I'll be happy with a single round.

MORE VOLENTEERS PLEASE!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #794
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up Your request is heard, Mr Goomba

Nogrod told me to tell you that he wants to sign in. He said he doesn't care whether it's writing or drawing.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #795
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Me too! Me too! Please please please!

I don't mind either role.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #796
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hrmm... We need a good many more players for a good once around. If we get one more player, though, I think we can justify doubles if no one objects... Remember, the height of artistic integrity is not necessary required.

Hookbill (write)
Thinlómien (draw)
Eönwë (write)
Aganzir (draw)
The Elf-warrior (write)
Volo (draw)
Legate of Amon Lanc (write)
Rune Son of Bjarne (Draw)
Beregond (Write)
Nogrod (Draw)
Oddwen (Write)
A Little Green (draw)

Anyone else for the slaughter... I mean game...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 06-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #797
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

YES! Doubles!

Last edited by Eönwë; 06-09-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #798
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Heeey count me in will you dear?

P.S. Doubles! Yay!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #799
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, I'm going to leave this for, say 24 hours. If you REALLY object to doubles, then we'll wait for more players, otherwise, we'll try and start off some time tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #800
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Doubles yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!