The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2002, 06:08 PM   #1
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting When the Ainur entered Ea

When the Ainur entered Ea, they were made into at least two different groups; the Valar and Maia. What system, if there was one at all, was used to determined which beings fell into what category. Obviously, power had something to do with it but was there any other factors involved. Or was it just up for grabs for any takers.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:03 PM   #2
Westerly Wizard
Haunting Spirit

Westerly Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Ainur who were the greatest became Valar, as called by the Eldar, and the rest were the Maiar
Old 10-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #3
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could be completely off on this, but I was under the impression (in reading Ainulindale) that the difference between Valar/Maiar/etc. was tantamount to the differences between the different choirs of angels (i.e. Seraphim/Cherubim/etc.). To me, this would mean that the Valar/Maiar separation would have been distinguishable even in the pre-Valar state, while they were all still Ainur. It was a distinguishment of species, perhaps characterized by powers, but perhaps also by something more, too. Am I on the right track? Anyone?
Old 10-30-2002, 11:44 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They are all still Ainur. "Valar" and "Maiar" are more like job descriptions. The 14 greatest (of the Ainur chosen to inhabit Ea) as judged by Eru (without error, of course) were designated as Valar, the ruling powers of Arda, and those of lesser power were Maiar, their servants.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:51 PM   #5
Timloth

Sting

The fourteen greatest of the Ainur who chose to enter Ea were the Valar. Most of the Ainur remained with Iluvater. Of the Valar seven were Lords and seven were Queens. The Maiar being lesser in power then the Valar were servants of the Valar. And then of course there was Melkor.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:47 PM   #6
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

something like that. But, since this is true, Sauron is kin to the Vala by definition. And he died. Is it possible to kill a valar?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:45 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You cannot kill a Valar, nor did Sauron die.

He poured so much of his being into the One Ring that when it was destroyed, he was weakened to a point which he was completely helpless and unable to take physical shape.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:42 PM   #8
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the way, when Huan fought with Sauron when he was in his wolf-form, Sauron's throat was hurt, and when he fled in his vampire form, his throat was bleeding.

When Isildur cut his finger, he would always have only four fingers, no matter in which form he was.

So, if somebody would hit an ainu to head, could it then be possible to kill an ainu? What form ever that ainu would choose, he/she wouldn't have head. And that would probably have pretty much same effect as on Man or any else. So I think in that way an ainu can be killed.

And anyways, it is said that Túrin will slay Morgoth Bauglir in Dagor Dagorath, so I think that even an ainu can die.

My opinion. What do you think?

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:56 AM   #9
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm new but this is what I think, when the Ainur sang to Eru lesser voices were mentioned somewhere and I think that the maia were those lesser voices and ended up being the Valar's servents being lesser in power and stature. Although it was their own choice to go to Ea, but once the choice to go or stay was made it was final. No return. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:02 PM   #10
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Valar and the Maia are both Ainur, Alkquareie. The only real difference is Power. The Valar are split up into divisions too, it’s merely how great they are that it depends on. I would expect that the destination be made by the Elves that told the Sil. Actually I wouldn't really be that surprised if the idea of Power and Greatness and Ranking came from the Men when they interpreted the Sil. Rankings seems to be quite a Mannish rather than Elvish trait.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:03 PM   #11
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh yeah and welcome to the BarrowDowns by the way.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the original "power" might have been how close an Ainu was to Eru, and how much of his purpose they percieved. Morgoth saw the most, but Manwe understood the most. It's in the Silm. and when they came down to Ea, that translated into Power, because they each had some specific, unique understanding of it's purpose.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:25 PM   #13
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

That reminds me of Star Wars a lot. Power is directly equated to "Knowledge of the Force", which could just as well be equated to "perception of the mind of Eru". Yoda is stronger than Luke (in Episode:V at least), because he has a greater knowledge of the force, despite the fact that if Luke wanted Yoda dead i would expect a quick kick into a marsh would do the trick. Manwe is greater than Morgoth, even though Morgoth is the mightiest of the Valar, as he has the greatest ability to perceive what Eru does.

But as far as Star Wars/Middle Earth analogies go the Force/Flame Imperishable argument works better than the Force/Eru argument.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #14
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Galorme: Interesting, though I must disagree. I don't think that "power" in the Silmarillion is tied directly to knowledge of Eru, at least not in the same way that power in Star Wars is tied to knowledge of the Force. Of course, the term "power" can be a bit vague. I do think that, for example, Manwe's knowledge of Eru can be thought of as giving him power, in that it gives him wisdom, which could be considered a component of power. Nonetheless, Morgoth is said to have more native power, and I think that in a direct confrontation between Manwe and Melkor (prior to the dispersion of the latter's power), Melkor would win. On the other hand, a Jedi's power is tied very directly to the Force. Yoda does not have more power than Luke merely in the sense that he is wiser; in a fight between the two, Yoda would actually win. So in Tolkien, it is only wisdom that is tied to knowledge of Eru, whereas in Star Wars, all sorts of power are tied to knowledge of the Force.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #15
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Aiwendil, I don't mean knowledge of Eru himself, I mean knowledge of his purpose-for Ea, and what was to come. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You pretty much get what I was driving at anyways though. Manwe, and te Valar, understood that there was a big master plan about to unfold, so they had enough patience and faith to let the Children of Iluvitur come when they were good and ready. (Not so much Aule, bu that was really anticipation more than anything.) Morgoth saw that plan, but would not understand it because he wanted things for himself, namely the Secret Fire in the beginning, (at first a desire to merely possess, later a desire to dominate and control) and later dominion over Ea. The whole force theory is really a good analogy for it.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:45 AM   #16
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

These are all very good comments, but I pose another question in respect to the Valar.

- Of those Ainur that stayed behind, is there any writings that mention them in detail and were any of them considered to be more powerful than the Valar were. Or were those that made up the Valar allowed to go because of there power?

- Now, I know that there were definite power distinctions between the Valar such as when Melkor is mentioned as being the mightiest but was there not a group within the group so to speak of the more powerful Valar?
Old 11-07-2002, 09:09 PM   #17
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

Sting

-of the ainur who staryed behind, they likely were not as curious about Ea as to leave their native home. The Ainur who did leave likely did not do so because they were powerful (Tulkas was said to be a small spirit who had resided in a corned of the heavens, and he proved mighty), but because their curiousity of this new world they had been shown overcame the home that their home in the Void near Eru held over them.
-I think the Silm specified the most powerful of the Valar; Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Aule, Yarvanna, Mandos. The others were not as prominent, but nonethe less important. notice that each Istari was 'nominated' to go by one of these Valar (except Gandalf, who was chosen by Manwe & Varda; see UT)
Old 11-09-2002, 02:30 AM   #18
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I checked my books again and the Ainur came with lesser spirts that became the Vala's servents according to Lost Tales 1. Or something like that anyway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote