The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Axbolt
Pile O'Bones

Axbolt has just left Hobbiton.
"Do not speak to me of dragon fire"

In Desolation of smaug when king Thranduil says "do not speak to me of dragon fire" and the scaring appears on his face as if concealed by magic, what is this meant to signify happened in his past? I know I missed something.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The last time he got drunk?

Any other guess I cannot hazard, since I haven't seen the movies (of which it seems you're asking).

Last edited by Inziladun; 02-12-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That was odd. I always thought elves were immune to scarring.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I never thought Elves wouldn't have scars. I was sure they can. But at the moment I can't think of a single good example either for or against; the best my brain is offering at the moment is a few ideas about the biology of wound healing and tissue regeneration, which I don't want to go into. But hey, the slaves of Thangorodrim (or at least Gwindor) appeared aged, as old Men; and limbs that were chopped off didn't grow themselves back - so eternal youth and beauty aren't always guaranteed.

But back to the question. Although I have watched the 2nd Hobbit movie, I evidently didn't pay enough attention. When was this said? Or even better - can you find a video of that scene?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I remember this bit but there's no explanation for it in the theatrical release of any of the films.

I have a feeling it might be explained in an extended edition (none of which I've seen for the "Hobbit" films) perhaps with some reference to the Grey Mountains or something.

There is (to the best of my knowledge) nothing in the real story from the books to suggest that Thranduil had ever encountered dragons in his life, although I suppose it's possible.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
There is (to the best of my knowledge) nothing in the real story from the books to suggest that Thranduil had ever encountered dragons in his life, although I suppose it's possible.
Maybe in one of the First Age battles involving Glaurung?

As has been clearly demonstrated though, movie writers need not stick to the source material for 'inspiration'.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
Axbolt
Pile O'Bones

Axbolt has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
back to the question. Although I have watched the 2nd Hobbit movie, I evidently didn't pay enough attention. When was this said? Or even better - can you find a video of that scene?
I have found the clip on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/?hl=en-GB&gl=G...?v=Q69yl9a4QPg

Have never posted a link before so might not work

I have wached the exstended edition and canot find any referance to the death of his wife exsept that she was killed at Angmar
Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axbolt View Post
I have wached the exstended edition and canot find any referance to the death of his wife exsept that she was killed at Angmar
It's not based on anything whatsoever in the book either. I think this is something that only exists in the filmmakers' imaginations.